SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian May 5, 2021 8:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9270090)
No, it’s about being able to meet and talk to strangers in public, rather than sitting in your own socially distanced bubble with the person(s) you came with and already knew. That’s the purpose of a bar, pub, etc.

This is an Internet forum I suppose. Maybe you’re all just introverts who don’t actually enjoy social interaction or meeting new people and so none of this is that has for you?

Hence why with summer almost back, the European-style open air "beer garden", which should be fully functional even now, is such a great idea. There are a few of those in SF and they never closed.

I have to admit that I used to be neutral on al fresco dining but COVID has taught me to really enjoy it, especially now that so many restaurants have set up spaces that shield you from wind, provide some heat when necessary and are generally very pleasant (more so than just a table on the sidewalk).

And al fresco drinking is also a very enjoyable thing.

Beer garden in Hayes Valley not far from my place (the picture is pre-COVID)

https://media1.fdncms.com/sfweekly/i.../9037581.0.jpg
https://media1.fdncms.com/sfweekly/i.../9037581.0.jpg

10023 May 5, 2021 8:10 AM

^ That’s great if you’ve got the weather. We generally don’t in London. And in LA, there was no real social interaction even outside. Tables were like 10 feet apart.

As a matter of fact, what I see in that photo is just couples or small groups talking amongst themselves. They might as well be in their own backyards (if they had them, which they probably don’t in SF). There’s no spontaneous social interaction taking place in that photo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9270093)
It's not just that but the longer this drags on, the more it's making otherwise socially adept people introverts.

Oh, there’s no doubt this is the case, especially for younger people. Kids who were college freshmen last year are going to need a do over especially.

kool maudit May 5, 2021 12:35 PM

In Stockholm, the government sounds like Canada but acts like Florida.

Söder is jumping, but it's a daytime thing -- gotta clear out those early closing times

Handro May 5, 2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9269710)
:haha:

Good luck. I think some of you are really overvaluing your “talent” and are in for a serious reality check. You can dispense with your employer to find a job that fits your needs to plant your butt at home but that doesn’t mean they can’t do the same.

And the global Zoom-based workforce is........HUGE

For someone who has been on a real tear trying to knock what those that you see as a bunch of lazy good-for-nothings who just want to sit at home on the computer all day... when do you work? You post at all hours of the day every day.

Acajack May 5, 2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 9269751)
And I think you are so personally invested in real estate that suffers when workers are not forced to physically commute into CBD offices that your advocacy for forcing others to in-person work is just you pushing what will be most profitable for yourself.

Wow, I did not know that The Urban Politician owned downtown Chicago skyscrapers.

He is way richer than I thought!

the urban politician May 5, 2021 1:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9270093)
It's not just that but the longer this drags on, the more it's making otherwise socially adept people introverts.

Interestingly, I and some of my medical colleagues have talked about this.

Over many years of practicing medicine we've learned the skill of showing the proper facial expression with patients (showing empathy, holding back laughter or annoyance when somebody says something ridiculous, etc). But we've now been wearing masks for over a year and have gotten "rusty" with those skills.

Work on your poker faces, people, because eventually you're going to need them again!

the urban politician May 5, 2021 1:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9270164)
Wow, I did not know that The Urban Politician owned downtown Chicago skyscrapers.

He is way richer than I thought!

I just put in an offer on the John Hancock Center for $400,000,000, we'll see if they accept it! :D

Acajack May 5, 2021 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9270215)
I just put in an offer on the John Hancock Center for $400,000,000, we'll see if they accept it! :D

Glad to hear you did OK on the mortgage stress test for that one!

suburbanite May 5, 2021 4:12 PM

I would think suburban/outer urban residential landlords would be more likely in hoping for extended lockdowns if their returns were the only priority. Here in Toronto it's the downtown high-rise rental owners who are getting hammered by the current environment. No students needing a place downtown, service staff who populate the young high-rise communities are out of work, no one wanting to spend a year of lockdown in a 600 SF condo rental. People have been willing to spend a bit more cash for a larger place further away from the core since they spend so much more time there.

TWAK May 5, 2021 5:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9270089)
This post makes no sense.

I'm flipping things around, for example, so if you say pro-maskers are "virtue signalling" then I will say that anti-maskers are "unvirtue signalling". It creates a tie so the thread can move on, although it does seem worse to readers to be a "unvirtue signaller" by not wearing a mask.

sopas ej May 5, 2021 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9270090)
No, it’s about being able to meet and talk to strangers in public

I thought you were married... are you and the wife swingers? You like to go up and talk to random strangers?

the urban politician May 5, 2021 6:42 PM

Time to come back to work!

Quote:

May 05, 2021 12:39 PM UPDATED 22 MINUTES AGO
BMO Harris calls biz bankers back to the office
In the latest plan among large financial services firms, Chicago's second-largest bank will return about 1,000 workers to its downtown headquarters beginning next month.
STEVE DANIELS

Chicago’s second-largest bank is returning its business bankers and associated staff to the office, beginning next month.

BMO Harris Bank’s commercial bankers will come back to downtown Chicago one month before the city’s largest bank, JPMorgan Chase, is requiring its workers to return to the office. Chase CEO Jamie Dimon announced late last month that all U.S. workers would be expected back in offices in July.

BMO Harris’ plans so far pertain only to its commercial banking staff. Separate plans are in the works for wealth management and other parts of the bank. Many retail bankers already have been working in person.

That affects 2,000 workers nationally, about half of whom are in Chicago, a spokesman said. BMO Harris employs about 7,000 in total in the Chicago area.

Another large downtown employer, Citadel, also is planning to return most workers to the office beginning in June. Between Citadel, Chase and BMO Harris, well over 10,000 workers previously at home will be downtown this summer, at least for portions of the week.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/fina...rs-back-office

:cheers:
10,000 workers right there. Get those trains ready!

Steely Dan May 5, 2021 6:45 PM

^ well that's some welcome news for downtown chicago!

Acajack May 5, 2021 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 9270514)
I thought you were married... are you and the wife swingers? You like to go up and talk to random strangers?

What kind of a question is that? As if the sole purpose of socializing with strangers is to hit on them?

It made me think that a month or two ago, when sit-down dining was still (somewhat open) here, my wife and I went out for dinner and for most of our dinner we chatted with the couple at the next table. They were in their 70s so 20-25 years older than us. They were 2 m (6 ft) away.

We chatted about our kids, their kids and grandkids, their travels and our travels all over the world, life in general, and of course the pandemic.

Afterwards, my wife and I were saying just how good it felt to just chat informally like that with people from outside our immediate entourage - it hadn't happened in close to a year I'd say.

the urban politician May 5, 2021 6:51 PM

I feel like Chicago's restaurants are going to be literally PACKED this summer, with the chance that reservations will be very hard.

1. As noted above, the reopening is planned
2. So many places closed permanently.

Supply is WAY below demand

the urban politician May 5, 2021 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9270612)
What kind of a question is that? As if the sole purpose of socializing with strangers is to hit on them?

^ Well, to some people yes.

I basically (outside of work or taking care of some kind of errand, etc) would probably not socialize with a young woman out of the blue unless the interaction would somehow lead to sexual intercourse. Therefore, being married I just don't socialize with young women.

Acajack May 5, 2021 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9270620)
^ Well, to some people yes.

I basically (outside of work or taking care of some kind of errand, etc) would probably not socialize with a young woman out of the blue unless the interaction would somehow lead to sexual intercourse. Therefore, being married I just don't socialize with young women.

That seems to me like a cultural difference. (Though yes there are people who are more conservative about this where I live too.)

In all honesty it doesn't happen every time my wife and I go out that we end up chatting with strangers at other tables. Maybe 1 out of every 5 times or one out of every 10 times.

I just found Sopas' reaction to be bizarre: "what the hell? are you guys, like, swingers?"

That would have never crossed my mind as a reaction to that post. Never.

Pedestrian May 5, 2021 7:25 PM

Quote:

Bars Can Reopen on Thursday in San Francisco, Plus…
May 4, 2021

With the COVID-19 case rate for San Francisco having dropped to an average of under 30 new cases per day, or under 3 new cases per 100,000 residents, and the testing positivity rate having inched back down to 0.6 percent, the assessed risk level for San Francisco County has just been lowered to the Minimal/”Yellow” tier per the State’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy while the risk level for seven of the other eight Bay Area counties remains Moderate (“Orange”) and Solano is still in the “Red” (Substantial).

As such, indoor bars, breweries and wineries in San Francisco will be able to open up to 25 percent of their capacities, with a maximum of 100 people and everyone seated, as of Thursday, May 6.

In addition, saunas, steam rooms and indoor hot tubs facilities will be allowed to reopen at up to 25 percent capacity; still shuttered indoor entertainment facilities, including skating rinks, arcades, and playgrounds, will be allowed to open with 50 percent capacity limits in place and no vaccination or testing requirements for facilities that have already been allowed to reopen; buffets and self-serve food bars can re-open for both takeaway and on-site consumption, with indoor dining guidelines in place; and outdoor community sporting events will be able to resume, with limits on the number of participants and other restrictions, including proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test.

Capacity limits for businesses and activities that have already reopened or been allowed are being increased as well, including 50 percent capacity limits for offices (not counting fully vaccinated personnel), indoor gyms and venues . . . .

https://socketsite.com/wp-content/up...s-05-04-21.png

https://socketsite.com/archives/2021...sday-plus.html

Welcome back 10023.

I must say, I covered a lot of the downtown area last weekend in a long Sunday walk, and it looked to me and felt almost normal. I even saw quite a few of what looked like tourists and asked myself, "Are they? Where'd they come from?"

suburbanite May 5, 2021 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9270648)
That seems to me like a cultural difference. (Though yes there are people who are more conservative about this where I live too.)

I feel like British after work pub culture fosters more of that intermingling as well. Typically you'll have a pretty large portion of the bar area as standing room with small round tables, often spilling out into the street.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/E83MHH/off...ity-E83MHH.jpg

I love this kind of thing compared to everyone shuffling to their 4 person table on the patio or at a booth inside.

niwell May 5, 2021 7:31 PM

One of the main things I miss during lockdown is to sit at a bar and get into a conversation with strangers. Sometimes I'm with my wife, sometimes with friends and sometimes I just like to go alone. Nothing sexual about it and I rarely talk to people I meet at a later date, though I definitely know the regulars at my local.