Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 5:31 PM

England's Planning Changes Will Create 'Generation Of Slums'

England's Planning Changes Will Create 'Generation Of Slums'

5 Aug 2020

By Ben Quinn, Jessica Elgot and Oliver Wainwright

Read More: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ation-of-slums

Quote:
The biggest shake-up of planning for decades has caused fury that moves to fast-track the construction of “beautiful” homes across England will “dilute” democratic oversight, choke off affordable housing and lead to the creation of “slum” dwellings. Under the proposals, unveiled on Thursday, planning applications based on pre-approved “design codes” would get an automatic green light – eliminating a whole stage of local oversight within designated zones. Land across England would be divided into three categories – for growth, renewal or protection – under what Robert Jenrick, the housing secretary, described as “once in a generation” changes to sweep away an outdated planning system and boost building.

- While the proposed changes are likely to appeal to developers, they prompted stinging criticism from housing charities, planning officers and architects who warned of a new generation of fast and substandard housing. The Town and Country Planning Association (TCPA) condemned them as disruptive and rushed, saying 90% of planning applications are currently approved but there are up to 1m unbuilt permissions. Labour called it “a developers’ charter” that will “set fire to important safeguards”. --- The prospect of a modern-day application and use of such codes to give developers “permission in principle” in zones categorised as being for growth was greeted with alarm in some quarters. The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) described the proposals as “shameful” and said they would do “almost nothing to guarantee the delivery of affordable, well-designed and sustainable homes”. “While they might help to ‘get Britain building’ – paired with the extension of permitted development rights last week – there’s every chance they could also lead to the development of the next generation of slum housing,” said RIBA president Alan Jones.

- The proposals contain scant detail on any alternative way to boost the number of affordable homes, promising only that they will not decrease. The white paper proposes a consultation on developers making in-kind payments of affordable homes toward the levy or allowing local authorities to buy a proportion of affordable housing at a discounted rate. Hugh Ellis, director of policy at TCPA, criticised the changes overall, saying: “This kind of disruptive reform doesn’t suit anybody, neither landowners nor developers. They’re turning the system on its head at a time when it’s working very well for the volume house builders – 90% of planning applications are approved and there are about a million unbuilt permissions.” --- He added: “It’s about local democracy. When local people are walking down the street and come across a new development they didn’t know about, the answer will now be: ‘You should have been involved in the consultation eight years ago when the code was agreed.’ “It’s diluting the democratic process. At the moment, people get two chances to be involved: once when the plan is made, and once when a planning application is submitted. Now they’ll only have a chance when the code is being prepared.”

- The Conservatives will hope the overhaul will be favoured not only by investors and developers, but also by the younger voters currently outside its reach. The Tory manifesto commits the government to 300,000 new homes built every year and, before coronavirus hit, senior Tories saw housing as the key mission of the government as a way of targeting a primary concern of many under-40s and city-dwelling voters shut out of the housing market – those most likely to vote Labour. --- “We are seeing a huge generation divide on housing,” one Tory source said. “The under-40s may have half as much chance of owning a home. That is being directly addressed by the first homes programme but the broader point is this planning system has held back homes being built on land that is ready to be built on. “And we know the main concerns which local people may have are about good design, environmentally friendly, buildings that fit into the architectural landscape, ones people are proud to own. We are not cutting any building standards.”

The long-awaited government white paper touts a new streamlined process designed to reduce red tape and harness technology to deliver homes more rapidly, ministers said. Government sources insisted there would be no dilution in building standards. Changes out for consultation under the white paper also include:

• Requiring local housing plans to be developed and agreed in 30 months, down from the current seven years.

• Extending the current exemption of small sites from having to make “section 106” payments – the means by which developers are forced to provide affordable housing.

• Ensuring that all new homes are carbon-neutral by 2050.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Yes, the right in the uk is trying to go back to feudal times.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 6:56 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

a generation of slums eh. that's too bad.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 11:36 PM

Absolute load of twaddle from the left wing cretins at the Guardian..Absolute Muppets!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Oh yes. Such a rag. Not like the stalwarts of journalism that support bojo.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 1:12 AM

So labor = nimby and tory = yimby?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 1:44 PM

English people need to learn to live in apartments. It’s one of the most densely populated countries in the world, and even in London there isn’t enough building upwards. I don’t mean skyscrapers, just the 5-8 story lateral flats that most Europeans live in.

Letting developers build single family housing wherever they want is going to destroy the countryside in a generation.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 1:52 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

we need to just allow easier emigration between the united states and the u.k.

the people fed up with one or the other can just swap out. go let uk conservatives into texas

i want to walk long distances and not get shot or run over in 100 degree weather

lets make a deal

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 1:52 PM

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
we need to just allow easier emigration between the united states and the u.k.

the people fed up with one or the other can just swap out. go let uk conservatives into texas

i want to walk long distances and not get shot or run over in 100 degree weather

lets make a deal
yeah, lets make texas even dumber by bringing in the likes of farage and cummings.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:34 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I would gladly trade Louie Gohmert and Dan Patrick for Nigel Farage.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
yeah, lets make texas even dumber by bringing in the likes of farage and cummings.
i don’t have a great feel for uk conservatism but i feel like the u.s. overton window is so much further to the right that i like to imagine uk conservatives being kind of speechless. in this thought experiment i envision them just turning normie and like buying a ski-doo dealership outside of dallas or something.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:49 PM
BANNED

You need to expand your feel then. The right in the uk is ready to trash the entire country to bring the feudal ages back.

Its like "we was kangs" but with pasty inbred brits.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 6:22 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
i don’t have a great feel for uk conservatism but i feel like the u.s. overton window is so much further to the right that i like to imagine uk conservatives being kind of speechless. in this thought experiment i envision them just turning normie and like buying a ski-doo dealership outside of dallas or something.
In the UK the right wing Conservative party (currently in power) more closely resembles the Democrats stateside -the Republican Party if it was transposed onto the UK political spectrum would be considered far right, similar to UKIP.

Last edited by muppet; Aug 8, 2020 at 1:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 1:24 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

really? UKIP is a racist party. where in the republican party platform is there anything approaching UKIPs attitude towards black and brown people?

the UK has privatized post office and rails

very lax money laundering rules

very low taxes, especially property

Seems very republican to me.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 4:06 PM

ha. yes i want to hear about this stuff, non-american/non-settler colonial operating system right-wing and right-wing things are weird and unpredictable to me.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
You need to expand your feel then. The right in the uk is ready to trash the entire country to bring the feudal ages back.

Its like "we was kangs" but with pasty inbred brits.
Fuck off you CUNT.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 11:58 PM

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 3:15 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't England have a really bad housing shortage? I've heard its even worse than most US cities.

After reading the article I'm guessing the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and the Town and Country Planning Association (TCPA) are the biggest beneficiaries of the current system hence the reason they're complaining about the potential changes.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
This was the case until quite recently but the gap is narrowing. What we don’t have in the UK is the religious fanatic BS (with exception of Northern Ireland to some extent), but the xenophobia and racism are getting there.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions