HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 5:31 AM

入 is the first character, which is either "to enter," or "to put" in Japanese. I think it is Japanese, but maybe Chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
mystery location.

Child star Tommy Rettig playing with Lassie.

old file of mind / possibly eBay

I've been trying to figure out where this was taken. The grassy area appears to be lower (sunken) than the surrounding area.

Here's the rooftop sign enlarged....and I still can't read it. I tried flipping the image (since this was originally a slide)...but that didn't help either.

<--original / flipped-->

It kinda' looks like a face. lol

__

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Wait, what? You have shots of the Angels Flight Cafe interior?
The answer is I don't know. Some of the other screen-shots that came with the film are the inside of a bar so it stands to reason that if they also shot the façade of the Angels Flight (I mean, Angels' Flight!) Cafe, then...it must look like this:

However. Some things don't seem totally kosher. The tile walls, and that red Coors neon in the window, something doesn't jive with the pix I've seen of the place.

Now, I think they shot the film Angel's Flight inside the AF Cafe. In which case it looked more like this:

I'm thinking the bar may have run straight back, and not had any exterior walls. Works with how the door is places, and otherwise you'd have to contend with alla that glass brick business.

We see the interior of the doors on the return shot—

—and then the guy walks out the door:

...and the outside door hardware does kinda match.

I'm not totally sold, but it's the best I've got. I wish I was as familiar with the film and vaguely prescient of this question when I first saw the picture with Dean Romano in attendance, and I could have asked him. Dean has since passed, but I know Jim Dawson quizzed him on some of the locations. I have to make it a point to ask Jim now!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 10:03 AM

Thanks for all the follow-ups on the Bank of America ship emblem. I'll have to keep an eye out for it on other branches.

Julius Shulman was certainly no stranger to Vermont Avenue in the early '50s. This bank of America was on the corner of N Vermont Avenue and Melbourne Avenue. The photoset is "Job 1516: Bank of America (Los Angeles, Calif.),1953".

This frontage on the Dresden Room is probably more contemporary with the matchbook that e_r posted back in post #9471.

A reverse view.

And a lovely sidewalk clock.

All from Getty Research Institute

The bank has now gone, replaced by a Christian Science Church and Sunday School, but several of the other buildings survive, like this one just across Melbourne Avenue.

GSV

On the other side of Vermont are the Hollymont Apartments.

GSV

The sidewalk clock has gone, but in case e_r thought I'd forgotten to mention the store to its left, it's still there. The store at the northern end is 1814 N Vermont, but I couldn't find a build date.

GSV

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 3:27 PM

I did a little crude image enhancement on the interior shot of the Angels Flight Cafe, which makes the layout a bit clearer:

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The sign in the background is from the Fairfax Theatre, and the garden was to the left of the entrance to CBS Television City. It became a parking lot some time during the 1970s.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Similar confusion from similar location (former Gilmore Stadium). http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ostcount=22409

http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics35/00067272.jpg

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:37 PM

Quote:

And a lovely sidewalk clock.

Servel. Wonder how many are still in service. Made from 1927-1956.

http://www.chamberstoves.net/Servel/..._All%20010.jpg

http://bit.ly/S0gI2L

More on Servel: http://vintageservelrefrigerators.8k.com/index.html

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 5:51 PM

Marilyn Monroe addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
I am curious about the address 5454 Wilshire Blvd., before it was part of what we now call Miracle Mile.

I suppose Marilyn fans may find this list of her residences interesting. I offer no opinion as to authenticity, accuracy or completeness.

5454 Wilshire Blvd Los Angeles, CA 1926
459 E Rhode Island St Hawthorne, CA 1926-32
Los Angeles Orphans Home 815 N El Centro Ave Hollywood, CA 1935-37
6707 Odessa Ave Van Nuys, CA 1937
14743 Archwoods St Van Nuys, CA 1937
6707 Odessa Ave Van Nuys, CA 1938
11348 Nebraska Ave. Sawtelle, CA 1938-41
6707 Odessa Ave. Van Nuys, CA 1941-42
11348 Nebraska Ave. Sawtelle, CA 1942
4524 Vista Del Monte St. Sherman Oaks, CA 1942
14747 Archwood St. Van Nuys, CA 1943
11348 Nebraska Ave. Sawtelle, CA 1945-46
Studio Club 1215 N Lodi St Hollywood, CA 1946-47
131 South Avon St. Burbank, CA 1947
El Palaccio Apts. 8491-8499 Fountain Ave West Hollywood, CA 1947-48
Bel Air Hotel 701 Stone Canyon Rd Beverly Hills, CA 1948
Beverly Carlton Hotel 9400 W Olympic Blvd Beverly Hills, CA 1948
Studio Club 1215 N Lodi St Hollywood, CA 1948-49
141 South Carolwood Dr. Holmby Hills, CA 1949
718 North Palm Dr. Beverly Hills, CA 1950
1309 Harper Ave. West Hollywood, CA 1950-51
Beverly Carlton Hotel 9400 W Olympic Blvd Beverly Hills, CA 1951
3539 Kelton Way West Los Angeles, CA 1951
611 North Crescent Dr. Beverly Hills, CA 1951-52
1121 Hilldale Ave. West Hollywood, CA 1952
Beverly Carlton Hotel 9400 W Olympic Blvd Beverly Hills, CA 1952
Bel Air Hotel 701 Stone Canyon Rd Beverly Hills, CA 1952
Outpost Estates 2393 Castilian Dr Hollywood Hills, CA 1952
Beverly Hills Hotel 9641 W Sunset Blvd Beverly Hills, CA 1952-53
882 North Doheny Dr Beverly Hills, CA 1953-54
2150 Beach St San Francisco, CA 1954
508 North Palm Dr Beverly Hills, CA 1954
8336 Delongpre Ave Hollywood, CA 1954
Voltaire Apartments 1424 N Crescent Heights West Hollywood, CA 1954
The Milton Greene Home Fanton Hill Rd Weston, CT 1954-55
Waldorf Astoria Hotel 301 Park Ave New York, NY 1955
Sutton Place Apartment 2 Sutton Pl New York, NY 1955-56
Roxbury Farm Home Roxbury, CT 1956-1960
Parkside House Estate Egham, England 1956
Amagansett Retreat Amagansett, Long Island, NY 1957-58
Fifty Seventh St. Apt. 444 E 57 St New York, NY 1957-62
Beverly Hills Hotel 9641 W Sunset Blvd Beverly Hills, CA 1958-60
The Mapes Hotel 30 N Virginia St Reno, NV 1960
The Holiday Hotel 111 Mill St Reno, NV 1960
Beverly Hills Hotel 9641 W Sunset Blvd Beverly Hills, CA 1961
882 North Doheny Dr Beverly Hills, CA 1961-62
12305 Fifth Helena Dr Brentwood, CA 1962

http://marilynmonroepages.com/facts.html
I never could figure out what was up with 5454 Wilshire. Still a mystery.

Maybe "5454 W Blvd" didn't mean Wilshire Blvd. I cannot imagine that Marilyn's mother would be living out in the boonies, beyond the reach of public transportation, while working at Consolidated Film Laboratories at 5515 Melrose. The Wilshire address just doesn't make any sense:

cursumperficio

459 E Rhode Island St, Hawthorne, CA, where Marilyn lived with her foster family, is still there. Unfortunately it was remodeled in the 90s (I think it was), but is still basically the same. I used to drive by there when I was in the area (I wish I'd thought to take a picture of it early on, but I didn't anticipate the remodel...will I never learn?). The address was changed to 4201 West 134th Street many decades ago.

IAMNOTASTALKER did a post on the 1913 home, originally on a couple of acres:

gsv

----------------------------------------------

Thx you Beaudry (& you too Earl) for your efforts re the Angels Flight Cafe.

Last edited by tovangar2; Aug 27, 2015 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:14 PM

I've just found this 1926 picture of Crawford's Dance Palace at 9704 South Main Street. Apart from the sign, I don't think the design is very appealing. There's at least three different window shapes, and little symmetry.

USC Digital Library

A close-up of the sign on the left indicates that Crawford's Dance Palace was already out of business when the photo was taken, which is strange because I could only find it in the 1928 CD. I didn't check every CD, but a few of the later tenants were: 1930 - Grotto Ball Room; 1936 - W T Woods (dance hall); 1942 - Martell's Belle Arena; 1960 - Star-Lite Furn Mfg Co.

Detail of picture above.

Here's 9704 South Main Street today.

GSV

At first I thought the old dance hall had gone. Then I looked at the aerial view, and wondered if just the front part had been remodeled.

Google Maps

This is the view from 97th Street. Can anyone dig out the build history?

GSV

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:33 PM

Quote:
I've just found this 1926 picture of Crawford's Dance Palace at 9704 South Main Street. Apart from the sign, I don't think the design is very appealing. There's at least three different window shapes, and little symmetry.

USC Digital Library

A close-up of the sign on the left indicates that Crawford's Dance Palace was already out of business when the photo was taken, which is strange because I could only find it in the 1928 CD. I didn't check every CD, but a few of the later tenants were: 1930 - Grotto Ball Room; 1936 - W T Woods (dance hall); 1942 - Martell's Belle Arena; 1960 - Star-Lite Furn Mfg Co.

Detail of picture above.

Here's 9704 South Main Street today.

GSV

At first I thought the old dance hall had gone. Then I looked at the aerial view, and wondered if just the front part had been remodeled.

Google Maps

This is the view from 97th Street. Can anyone dig out the build history?

GSV
The Assessor has a build date of 1924 with a remodel date of 1935

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
The answer is I don't know. Some of the other screen-shots that came with the film are the inside of a bar so it stands to reason that if they also shot the façade of the Angels Flight (I mean, Angels' Flight!) Cafe, then...it must look like this...

However. Some things don't seem totally kosher. The tile walls, and that red Coors neon in the window, something doesn't jive with the pix I've seen of the place.
Or the Cincinnatti Reds baseball banner on the wall, perhaps?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 7:42 PM

Thanks for checking the assessor's information for 9704 S Main, oldstuff, and thanks to Tourmaline for the follow-up about the Serval gas refrigerators.

---------------

I'm sneaking in another Bank of America post because I figured that "now" pictures were unnecessary due to our familiarity with the location .

We've seen the Baine Building/Apartments at 6601-6609 Hollywood Boulevard a couple of times before, but this 1951 shot fills a gap. A 1930s/current comparison was posted by e_r in post #320, and I posted a 1927 picture (when it was the Hollywood and Whitley branch of the Merchants National Trust and Savings Bank) in post #25678. These pictures are from Julius Shulman's "Job 1051: Bank of America (Los Angeles, Calif.),1951". I've just noticed that the Bank of America roof sign from e_r's 1930s picture is already missing.

I know MartinTurnbull was looking for pictures of the Hollywood Market about 10 months ago. On the left is JJ Newberry Co and Kress, with the roof sign of Hotel Drake visible in the distance.

And finally, a reverse view.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 8:21 PM

Baine building

Lest we forget, Harry Baine's penthouse apartment in the Baine Building played the exterior of the office of Harry Zimm (Gene Hackman), proprietor of "Zimm Films", in "Get Shorty" (1995)

movie tourist

I wonder what ever happened to those incredible columns which flanked the entrance of the Baine Building? Maybe they're still on-site somewhere.

P.S.

And here's a close-up of that little room e_r covets. I cannot figure out what its purpose is:

gsv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I'd love to rent that little room at the top on the left hand side.
The tower room dosen't connect to the penthouse:

google maps

Last edited by tovangar2; Aug 27, 2015 at 12:16 AM. Reason: add P.S.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Or the Cincinnatti Reds baseball banner on the wall, perhaps?
At the Cinematheque screening maybe 8 years ago I was able to ask the cameraman of Angels Flight about interior shots- He stated they had to use a set - so it was not authentic scenery -- So sorry guys- Jim Dawson was at my side when I had this short contact in the lobby following the film ( at the Egyptian)

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:04 AM

HossC gave us a look at the intersection of Alvarado and Temple Streets here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17519

TIme for a second viewing?

1923 - Temple and Alvarado

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...9coll59/id/420

Good location for a Richfield Station

Shell Station might do nicely here

Nine years later in 1932.

1932 - Alvarado and Temple Streets
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/49001/rec/96

The Ship Golf

Before Madison Avenue?

"Come and get it?" Tuned to modern modern motors. But what about old motors?

Nine cent/gal "Flash" and a familiar Richfield sculpture at Hillside Service Station, 2101 Temple Street.

Nine cents/Gal for "Green Streak"

MRyerson picks up the story five years later, 1937.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

Trailer camp, Temple and Alvarado Streets, 1937

A unique city within a city, a trailer park recently set up in Los Angeles is shown at Temple and Alvarado streets on October 18, 1937. It's a new way of life for people tired of living in houses.

LAPL

Trailer camp, Temple and Alvarado Streets,1937 (2)

The trailer "city" has its own messengers and newsboys. Freddy Smith, who works after school, delivers a magazine to Don Haller on March 27, 1943. Nice bike. An even better helmet. Reminds me of George Hanson in Easy Rider. "Oh, I got a helmet!"

LAPL

Trailer camp, Temple and Alvarado, 1937 (3)

Photograph caption dated October 18, 1937 reads, "Former vaudeville artists who have found new glamour in trailer life, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Vardon, seated, operators of the trailer camp, are shown outside their traveling home with Mary Wilson. Vardon says the life is an "exciting change from the usual routine.'" I see the Vardons are posing with their 'Zim-Air'. And a beautiful coach it is! First Class all the way. (I'm bummed that the Examiner art department painted out the Foster & Kleiser billboard in the background)

LAPL

Shell and Atlantic RICHFIELD are still at cross corners to each other.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 11:16 AM

I didn't spot any ship emblems on this Bank of America building, but it did have some interesting tilework. It was on the corner of 7th Street and Lafayette Park Place, where 7th meets Hoover. Obviously more of Julius Shulman's work, this is "Job 1010: Bank of America (Los Angeles, Calif.),1951". On the far right, the bar is called the "I'm Inn".

A long view from across Hoover.

Looking back the other way, Bullocks and the Town House on Wilshire are visible in the background.

I was hoping to find some of these attractive buildings still standing, especially the bank and the men's wear store with the zig-zag design. Alas, Historic Aerials shows that block was demolished between 1964 and 1972. In its place, we have this beautiful parking lot on the left. The building on the right is the one with the Gold Label advert from the pictures above. It could probably look good once again if someone controlled the signage.

GSV

In slightly better condition is the building that once housed the "I'm Inn". It still seems to have its details intact.

GSV

Last edited by HossC; Aug 28, 2015 at 8:14 AM. Reason: Corrected street name.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 12:24 PM

Re the "I'm Inn" building-- ER came across this a while back-- two good views from prior posts:

post 12044

post 12065

post 12067

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 1:17 PM

Thanks, GW, I'd forgotten e_r's earlier posts. Here's the full-resolution version of that part of Shulman's photograph. There was a self-service laundry on the left, and the upstairs windows were covered with advertising/pictures. Can anyone read the name of the hotel apartments above the roof of the I'm Inn?

Detail of picture above.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I never could figure out what was up with 5454 Wilshire. Still a mystery.

Maybe "5454 W Blvd" didn't mean Wilshire Blvd. I cannot imagine that Marilyn's mother would be living out in the boonies, beyond the reach of public transportation, while working at Consolidated Film Laboratories at 5515 Melrose. The Wilshire address just doesn't make any sense:

cursumperficio

459 E Rhode Island St, Hawthorne, CA, where Marilyn lived with her foster family, is still there. Unfortunately it was remodeled in the 90s (I think it was), but is still basically the same. I used to drive by there when I was in the area (I wish I'd thought to take a picture of it early on, but I didn't anticipate the remodel...will I never learn?). The address was changed to 4201 West 134th Street many decades ago.

IAMNOTASTALKER did a post on the 1913 home, originally on a couple of acres:

gsv

----------------------------------------------

Thx you Beaudry (& you too Earl) for your efforts re the Angels Flight Cafe.
Could be 5454 West Boulevard. The very modest Spanish bungalow at that address looks as though it could date to the twenties and although still a long ways from Melrose it would have been near the Western Avenue streetcars. And 5454 West Boulevard puts them close to Hawthorne.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Aug 27, 2015 at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Could be 5454 West Boulevard. The very modest Spanish bungalow at that address looks as though it could date to the twenties and although still a long ways from Melrose it would have been near the Western Avenue streetcars. And 5454 West Boulevard puts them close to Hawthorne.
5454 West Blvd. was built in 1925

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:28 PM

Here's 5454 West Boulevard.

Zillow.com agrees with the 1925 build date, and has a collection of interior pictures. There's no mention of Marilyn in the description .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos