HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Looking south on Western toward Wilshire in 1972.

ebay

__
Great picture! As has been mentioned before on this forum, we have to look at the people. I'm wondering about the gentleman we see walking in this photo wearing the fedora hat. Who was he? Where was he going? What could he of told us then of the history he lived through during his life? How far back did his memories reach? How long did he live? It's always intriguing to think about the people who are pictured in these wonderful photos we see here. This was likely just chance that he was walking along that sidewalk, at that sopt, at that very instant the photographer took that picture.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

The same question was posed by e_r in the original post I linked to - I suppose I should've looked Googled this earlier .

The simple answer is yes, Union Stage Depot was some kind of bus station. There aren't that many references online, but I found this paragraph in a book called 'Motoring: The Highway Experience in America' by John A Jakle and Keith A Sculle. A footnote adds that the depot was used by 350 cars daily in May 1922.

books.google.com
The Pickwick Night Coach illustrated in the same book is definitely a curiosity. I'm sure I've seen one in an old Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland film, which showed Judy's character settling into her "stateroom" on a bus trip. Obviously there was the bed, but there was also even a little nightstand on which she sets up her alarm clock and a framed photograph (if memory serves). To the best of my memory there was no in-film publicity or advertising regarding the bus, it's just there. And everyone in that part of the film treats it accordingly.

On seeing the movie I couldn't imagine intercity bus service ever having been so luxurious. If this was ever offered to the public, it must have been a flash in the pan that didn't last long.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 2:08 AM
I Like Turtles!

A surprising number of survivors.

Quote:
I was thrilled when I found this 1929 photograph showing the view from atop the Willard water tower.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...coll65/id/3747
I noticed several survivors from ER's 1929 photo. I took the liberty of numbering them above. First, an overview of the same area today.

Google Maps

Zooming in closer to Simmons and E. Hereford, we find:
#1 and #8....only the original garages remain.
#2 through #9....original houses remain, some with heavy modifications. Even the alleyway next to #2, just beginning to form in the 1929 pic, remains.

Google Maps

On E. Hereford and E. Southside, #10 and #11 also remain.

Google Maps

Moving over to Fairfield, the larger buildings, #12 and #13 are still there, too.

Google Maps

Heading up Allston, Easton, and Northside, toward Montebello Park Way, we find #14 through #17, still holding fort (and not looking too shabby).

Google Maps

The neighborhood is certainly a lot more crowded than it was 85 years ago, but at least a few old-timers are still around.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 3:39 AM

Wow! I can't believe you tracked down all those houses and buildings. My patience would have run out after one or two. Nice!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 5:49 AM

Pickwick Stage

Quote:

The same question was posed by e_r in the original post I linked to - I suppose I should've looked Googled this earlier .

The simple answer is yes, Union Stage Depot was some kind of bus station. There aren't that many references online, but I found this paragraph in a book called 'Motoring: The Highway Experience in America' by John A Jakle and Keith A Sculle. A footnote adds that the depot was used by 350 cars daily in May 1922.

books.google.com

The book also contains this picture from the year the depot opened.

books.google.com

Here is an obstructed photo of a Pickwick Stage in a publicity shot at Hollywood Police Station.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 9:29 AM

Martin, thanks so much for that touching story of Charles Laughton at the Hollywood Canteen. I imagine the Gettysburg Address had an especial poignancy for that particular audience!

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; Oct 4, 2014 at 9:31 AM. Reason: Clarity.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post

The Pickwick Night Coach illustrated in the same book is definitely a curiosity. I'm sure I've seen one in an old Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland film, which showed Judy's character settling into her "stateroom" on a bus trip. Obviously there was the bed, but there was also even a little nightstand on which she sets up her alarm clock and a framed photograph (if memory serves). To the best of my memory there was no in-film publicity or advertising regarding the bus, it's just there. And everyone in that part of the film treats it accordingly.

On seeing the movie I couldn't imagine intercity bus service ever having been so luxurious. If this was ever offered to the public, it must have been a flash in the pan that didn't last long.
The Pickwick Nite Coach (sometimes written NiteCoach) certainly was an amazing vehicle. Its origins seem to be in the 1927 Pickwick Observation-Dining Coach, which featured a strange elevated driving position. Los Angeles is among the destinations listed to the left of "PICKWICK STAGES".

eBay

The high driving position was continued in the Nite Coaches. The first one was exhibited at the Pacific Southwest Exposition at Long Beach in 1928. The car was christened by Clara Bow, watched by around 20,000 people. A huge amount of information on the Nite Coaches can be found at www.coachbuilt.com, with additional information at Myn Transport Blog. Incidentally, the portholes were used for ventilation.

dieselpunks.blogspot.com

The Coachbuilt article includes this 1932 advert for Nite Coach trips to Los Angeles.

www.coachbuilt.com

Another unusual bus I came across while doing a picture search for the Nite Coach is this articulated design made by Kaiser. An article titled Kaiser’s articulated bus on the Hemmings blog suggests that only one of these buses was ever built, but it entered regular service between Los Angeles and San Francisco from 1946 to 1951.

Hemmings Daily

After reading about the two-decked Pickwick Nite Coaches and the articulated Kaiser, I was reminded of the Cyclops from the 1976 movie 'The Big Bus'. I saw the movie again a couple of months ago (probably for the first time since the '80s), and spotted a couple of Los Angeles locations. The early scenes take place in the Port of Los Angeles, but it's the downtown scene that interested me.

The bus station which appeared in the movie was the bus station on Main between 6th and 7th. Larger versions of the images below, along with a load of extra "now and then" pictures, can be found on movielocationsandmore.blogspot.com.

The Cyclops at the bus station.

movielocationsandmore.blogspot.com

Looking back towards Main. The Pacific Electric Building (now the PE Lofts) is across the Street.

Looking south on Main. Dearden's, including its sign, is still there.

The bus leaves northbound on Main. The Central Building on the left has gone, as have several of the buildings on both sides of Main on the far side of 6th Street.

Here's the bus station in 1941. The caption says "Main Street between 6th & 7th showing undesirable stores & vacant lots". The "undesirable stores" on the left had already gone when the movie was filmed in the mid-70s. The tracks on the right disappear into the Pacific Electric Building.

USC Digital Library

At the base of the Central Building is the Glass House Reastaurant. A menu and map from the restaurant was posted by e_r back in post #17660.

Detail of picture above.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 4:30 PM

1940 - Route 66 - Monterey Lodge Auto Court, 3491 East Colorado Ave, Pasadena

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single.../id/2951/rec/9

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 6:35 PM

Thanks for the Sunset Tower photos, I love that building. Looks all the same right now except the street side has tall hedges obscuring the entrance view.

The last few years Vanity Fair has held their annual Oscar party there.

I recently discovered that in the TV series Cannon, Private Detective Cannon lives in that building.

LOL at "Sunset shadow-caster

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
After reading about the two-decked Pickwick Nite Coaches and the articulated Kaiser, I was reminded of the Cyclops from the 1976 movie 'The Big Bus'. I saw the movie again a couple of months ago (probably for the first time since the '80s), and spotted a couple of Los Angeles locations. The early scenes take place in the Port of Los Angeles, but it's the downtown scene that interested me.
HossC, thanks for that post and the reminder of that film! How does it hold up? If I recall, it was intended as a spoof of all of the plane, train, boat and other disaster movies of the 70's.

Would you like to dine in the Bicentennial Room?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 9:59 PM

re the Bus Depot

This looks great when blown up. It's a work-in-progress

Last edited by mrfredmertz; Oct 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 1:18 AM
I Like Turtles!

From innovative, to hopefully noirish, to tacky, to dismal.

Quote:
Another unusual bus I came across while doing a picture search for the Nite Coach is this articulated design made by Kaiser. An article titled Kaiser’s articulated bus on the Hemmings blog suggests that only one of these buses was ever built, but it entered regular service between Los Angeles and San Francisco from 1946 to 1951.

http://assets.blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2009/07/Kaiserarticulated_01_resized.jpg"]Hemmings Daily[/URL]

The bus station which appeared in the movie was the bus station on Main between 6th and 7th. Larger versions of the images below, along with a load of extra "now and then" pictures, can be found on movielocationsandmore.blogspot.com.

The Cyclops at the bus station.

The photo above of the single Kaiser Coach includes a new-for-1946 Kaiser car. The unveiling of the Kaiser Coach was hosted by none other than Henry J. Kaiser himself (the tiny 1950's Henry J car was named for him). Here is another view of the Kaiser Coach, as it appeared in LIFE Magazine. Notice that it also had rear-wheel steering, an incredible innovation decades ahead of its time. Notice that in this photo the name Kaiser Coach seems to be simply taped over something else. Perhaps covering "Santa Fe Trailways?"

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/...ticulated-bus/

Below is the coach as it appeared in the colors of Santa Fe Trailways, under which it would serve until 1951.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/...ticulated-bus/

Here's another view of the coach as the Santa Fe Trailways unit. But this photo is described as Denver. Could this be correct? An articulated, 4-wheel-steering coach is much better suited to city use, not long-distance LA to Denver travel.

http://www.classicbusdepot.com/bus-photos/88_0_1_0_C/

I can only hope to imagine that the Kaiser Coach was the setting for some pretty noirish goings-on. An articulated, 4-wheel-steering, "coach from the future"? The setting seems ripe for drama. NBC apparently thought so. After the success of the film "The Big Bus", the network tried to recreate the excitement by offering TV viewers the lame "Supertrain" in 1978 (same as a bus, but on rails....how innovative). Basically a rip-off of "The Big Bus" (which was undoubtedly a rip-off of the Kaiser Coach) the series tried to be The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, and Mystery-of-the-Week, all in one. It was a miserable failure.

http://nbc_supertrain.tripod.com/sit..._022179_ad.jpg

On a side note....my Dad (for a very brief time) drove an articulated bus for the CDTA in the 1980's between Schenectady and Albany, NY. The only thing noirish that ever happened to him on that bus was when a drunk vomited on his shoes....twice. The buses didn't last long (neither did my Dad).

http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayi...album=82&pos=2

I'm not sure vomit classifies as "noir", but it's all I've got. Be well, my friends!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 1:26 AM
I Like Turtles!

I can do this, I can do this, I can do this, I can do this, etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post

Wow! I can't believe you tracked down all those houses and buildings. My patience would have run out after one or two. Nice!
Fred, OCD comes in handy at times!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfredmertz View Post

This looks great when blown up. It's a work-in-progress
By KevinW, in post 9090 dated September 4, 2012:

Always room for improvement, though. I look forward to seeing your finished composition.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany NY View Post
OCD comes in handy at times!

I could use some of this OCD. Tremendous effort Albany! Thanks for your hard work.

__

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 3:47 AM

I came across this photograph the other night on ebay.

"patrol car, 1952"

I recognize the building in the background as the Amestoy Building on S. Main Street.

Here's the Amestoy in 1958 (the year of it's demise)

www.latimes/vintage photos

As we've discussed earlier on NLA, the 'Stake Out' Bar was a popular watering hole for the LAPD. (seen at lower right)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 4:20 AM

ebay

ebay

ebay

I certainly don't remember seeing this low-slung building before.

ebay

with text

ad_1911

ebay

ebay

500 years -is that even possible?

large end photo_1911

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 5, 2014 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 4:27 AM

no address

found on ebay

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 5, 2014 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 5:33 AM

Quote:
no address

found on ebay

__
Eastside Station was at the location of the L.A. City Jail on Ave. 19. The 1911 annual is a fantastic book, I have viewed it several times. I wish I had one. The 1952 Ford police car is a 1954 Ford by the way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos