HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 7:10 PM

Record levels of tourism and pedestrians... lol and surely that nothing to do with all of the projects removing car lanes and adding bus and bike lanes. Articles like this are posted likely as an attempt to dupe car drivers into thinking the politicians and planners are aware of this yet don't realize that this is a goal of these people. Classic.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 10:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just some highlights.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 11:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Lady Liberty's odds are looking good as New Yorkers vote on the state's new license plate design

Quote:
New Yorkers will decide the state's next official license plate, and there's at least an 80% chance it'll feature Lady Liberty.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Monday that residents can vote online for the 2020 plate design until September 2.
All five options are varying shades of blue and yellow with the shape of the state stuck in the middle. Four of them feature the Statue of Liberty and the phrase "Excelsior," the Latin motto on the state seal that means "Ever upward."

"License plates are a symbol of who we are as a state and New Yorkers should have a voice and a vote in its final design," Cuomo said in a statement.

The only option that deviates slightly features the new Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge, named for the current governor's father. The 3.1-mile twin-span bridge replaced the Tappan Zee Bridge, which connected counties on either side of the Hudson River 20 miles north of New York City for decades.
The winner will replace the aging "Empire Blue & White" plates, which debuted in January 2001 and depicts landmarks like the city skyline and Niagara Falls. The DMV will eventually phase out the blue-and-gold plates issued in 2010, too, the governor's office said.
==============
CNN

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:32 AM
Show me the blueprints

I don't get these silly design competitions to come up with a new license plate, which is almost ALWAYS overwrought and tacky since it's trying to be everything to everyone. Why not just copy and paste this:

_

Or furthermore, since they seem to be preoccupied with the state colors, just bring back the plates from the 70's and forget the SoL imagery:

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 2:26 PM

I like the new Liberty plate a lot.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 11:30 PM

Yeah that is nice. I usually like the plain jane plates like Cali and Texas but some designs like Utah's I like a lot. My home state's(Oklahoma) license plate is just awful.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 3:36 PM

So I assume a segment ran on a TV program somewhere but this is a weird tweet...

The MTA asked the feds for $2B earlier this year for Phase 2.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 4:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wish NJ changed its plates. We seriously have some of the ugliest plates in the U.S..

Its like someone pissed on them. I don't have a front plate on my benz. F that. Ruins the look. Fortunately I have FOP plates, and the cops only target poor looking cars (yes they do profile in NJ, even though they say they don't). I have several cops in the family, and they profile I tell yah! Welcome to NJ!!!

But anyways, NJ plates are gross.

Quote:
FIRST YEAR OF ISSUE: 2001
PLATE TYPE: GENERAL ISSUE
BASE MATERIAL: ALUMINUM
REFLECTORIZATION: PARTIAL - BACKGROUND ONLY
VALIDATION: MO/YR STICKER ON REAR PLATE
===========
http://nickkanaya.net/SAMPLE-NJ.html

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 4:59 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
So I assume a segment ran on a TV program somewhere but this is a weird tweet...

The MTA asked the feds for $2B earlier this year for Phase 2.
So Trump won’t fund Gateway, but will fund an extension of the 2nd Ave subway into Harlem?

More nonsense from our troll-in-chief, I guess. Unless the Trump Organization or Kushner Cos. have holdings in Harlem?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
So Trump won’t fund Gateway, but will fund an extension of the 2nd Ave subway into Harlem?

More nonsense from our troll-in-chief, I guess. Unless the Trump Organization or Kushner Cos. have holdings in Harlem?
Some people suspect that it was already strongly favored to receive funding and he's just getting out ahead to take credit. Which seems possible. I also presume NYC developers bend his ear about it on the regular.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 9:26 PM
BANNED

SAS is very important for NYC development. That Harlem area is ripe for total redevelopment of its blighted streets. It makes sense to fund this now, Gateway will get done when the time is right. I don't believe those tunnels are just going to collapse anytime soon.

Last edited by urbanview; Aug 24, 2019 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 10:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanview View Post
SAS is very important for NYC development. That Harlem area is ripe for total redevelopment of its blighted streets. It makes sense to fund this now, Gateway will get done when the time is right. I don't believe those tunnels are just going to collapse anytime soon.

NO WAY JOSE!

Gateway is more important in the long run. SAS will help build a few luxury towers in Harlem and cause gentrification. The city doesn't need to become all rich and white everywhere. The economy can't suffer a loss of those tunnels though. Trump just wants his real estate interests secured, his interests are short term. He's a greedy guy who is looking out for his own interests, NYC comes second.

Last edited by aquablue; Aug 25, 2019 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 1:30 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

what real estate interests? you think trump owns anything outright? he just aligns with shady types for backing and they put his name on things.

when the gateway tunnels fail people will actually die and the transit bottleneck will wreck the economy. that repair work is the top priority around here.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 5:41 PM

The Hudson Tunnel Projects trims $1.4 billion with new financial plan

https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/...financial-plan

Quote:

- The project cost for the construction of a new rail tunnel beneath the Hudson River and the comprehensive rehabilitation of the existing 108-year-old tunnel will cost $1.4 billion less than previously anticipated, resulting in an estimated cost of $9.5 billion for the new tunnel and $1.8 billion for the rehabilitation. --- The reduced cost results from work conducted at the request of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy to position the project to advance quickly once the federal permits are issued. This work includes a more advanced level of design, and an intensive value-for-money analysis, including analysis of risks and associated mitigations, a more efficient contracting plan resulting in fewer contract packages, and consideration of delivery methods including design-build.

Additional details of the financial plan include:

• Fully maintaining the local partner’s previous commitment of $5.55 billion towards the project, which, following the reduction in overall project cost, allows $700 million to be committed to the local share of rehabilitating the damaged North River Tunnel (the existing 108 year-old one-track-in, one-track-out link between New York and the entire Northeast Corridor).

• The Port Authority continuing as the project sponsor for the new Hudson Tunnel, while the newly established bi-state Gateway Development Commission is constituted.

• Responsibly updating the project’s projected start of major construction to early 2021, since the Federal government has yet to provide a Record of Decision on the EIS that was completed in under 22 months in February of 2018, or to move the project’s funding forward.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:20 PM

Just like that they trimmed 1.4 billion dollars? Is this value engineering and could result in lower quality project or simply something that should have been done at the start? That is a lot of money.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:44 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Just like that they trimmed 1.4 billion dollars? Is this value engineering and could result in lower quality project or simply something that should have been done at the start? That is a lot of money.
Are the new numbers any more real than the old numbers?
Or are the new numbers low balling the costs to make funding more attractive, then the old fashioned cost overruns occur making the old numbers low balling the actual costs after everyone takes their bite out of the pork?
With New York's history, are any projected costs real?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Are the new numbers any more real than the old numbers?
Or are the new numbers low balling the costs to make funding more attractive, then the old fashioned cost overruns occur making the old numbers low balling the actual costs after everyone takes their bite out of the pork?
With New York's history, are any projected costs real?
Pretty much it seems that way. If any true reform is to be had they need to clean house but it seems fucked on so many levels.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 3:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

MTA CAPITAL PROGRAM OVERVIEW
2020-2024

PDF: https://new.mta.info/sites/default/f...20Overview.pdf

$51.5 billion investment.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:51 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
MTA CAPITAL PROGRAM OVERVIEW
2020-2024

PDF: https://new.mta.info/sites/default/f...20Overview.pdf

$51.5 billion investment.

welp ok -- from that pot 'o gold-- here is the important highlight stuff:

The Program will deliver major benefits, including:

• More frequent and reliable service on 6 line segments,
including the Lexington Avenue Line, serving over 50%
of riders through modernized signaling

• 70 new ADA-accessible stations, beginning now.
Stations serving over 60% of passengers will be ADA accessible.

• Over 1,900 new subway cars, more than 2,400 new
buses and hundreds of new commuter rail cars

• Full funding for Second Avenue Subway Phase 2 and
construction of four new Metro-North stations in the
Bronx

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 11:55 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

all you need to know re the new lga terminal b:

https://www.laguardiab.com/gates-40-59

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation