HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
Thanks to Texas, Chicago has new Latinos - most of them Venezuelans. While it may have been more than the city can handle (there are not enough places for them to stay, apparently), I think they’ll fit in just as many other Latinos have. It’s tough to say where they’ll settle, but I’ve been seeing quite a few in Pilsen. As of now, most Latinos in Chicago are Mexican, followed by Puerto Ricans.

A few McMansion nuggets at the end there.

I am curious if California will get any new South American enclaves. I think California is getting more Chinese and Punjabi migrants but less from Latin America.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:39 PM

Cuban population starting to become a lot more prevalent in the Louisville area, had around 20-25k last census but according to local estimates that has at least doubled as the city has been adding close to 10k a year the last couple years. Small potatoes for a lot on the board, but for a metro under 1.5 million it doesn’t take much to start seeing a much needed infusion into the city. NY Times and Condé Nast have covered the story the last couple years, hopefully they keep coming.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVG View Post
Cuban population starting to become a lot more prevalent in the Louisville area, had around 20-25k last census but according to local estimates that has at least doubled as the city has been adding close to 10k a year the last couple years. Small potatoes for a lot on the board, but for a metro under 1.5 million it doesn’t take much to start seeing a much needed infusion into the city. NY Times and Condé Nast have covered the story the last couple years, hopefully they keep coming.
A lot of Cubans in Vegas too, but not so much in California.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 5:40 PM

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ck-of-skid-row

"They came from Nicaragua, Peru, Honduras and Venezuela with no connections to Los Angeles."

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 3:12 PM

Noticing a lot more Muslims in my part of Astoria, Queens (northwest, near Astoria Park). There's a big Eid Adha festival in the Park now every summer as well.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Noticing a lot more Muslims in my part of Astoria, Queens (northwest, near Astoria Park). There's a big Eid Adha festival in the Park now every summer as well.
Bit off topic but I've been looking at some waterfront condos by Vernon Blvd and 30th road (right by the ferry stop). Some people tell me that it's a bad part of town and are dissuading me from continuing my home search in that immediate area. What do you think?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 11:59 PM

That certainly isn't a bad part of town. There are no bad areas in Astoria. There's a housing project nearby, so I assume that influences the opinion you were given. But there are housing projects nearby almost everywhere in NYC. There are more people living in NYCHA housing than living in the entire city of Boston.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 12:53 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There are more people living in NYCHA housing than living in the entire city of Boston.
I love these kinds of obscure "NYC is on a whole other level" stats.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
British Indians are the highest earning ethnic group in the UK, they earn on average 20% more than White British. The five most powerful people in the British Isles rn happen to have South Asian ancestry -the British Prime Minister, Home Secretary (though she was sacked this week), First Minister of Scotland, Mayor of London and Irish Prime Minister.

Indians are also the highest-earning group in the United States:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...usehold_income

Part of the reason why the "white" population of the United States is fairly low on the list is because most recent immigrants (Indians and elsewhere) have settled in the major cities, where incomes are highest, but many "white" Americans have lived for many generations in thinly-settled rural areas where there are very few high-paying jobs and fewer opportunities to start businesses.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post

Part of the reason why the "white" population of the United States is fairly low on the list is because most recent immigrants (Indians and elsewhere) have settled in the major cities, where incomes are highest, but many "white" Americans have lived for many generations in thinly-settled rural areas where there are very few high-paying jobs and fewer opportunities to start businesses.
India sends its best. The most populous nation on Earth sends its brightest to learn in US universities, and many of them settle in America.

As for your hillbilly elegy, rural white males still expect and demand to control the world but they can't manage to do the homework, let alone earn a degree. "Hulk smash" isn't a good life plan.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:44 AM

The Economist had two recent articles discussing how Britain has become a nation of immigrants.

Britain is the best place in Europe to be an immigrant
The Economist, March 21st, 2024

https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...e-an-immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Economist
The idea of Britain as a nation of immigration might seem counterintuitive. Its citizens voted to leave the European Union in 2016 after they were promised a tighter chokehold on inflows of people from Europe.

Neither does the country crow about the migrants it has. Other places have grand immigration museums; the one in New York harbour draws millions of tourists each year. Britain’s small Migration Museum, which was founded not by the state but by some worthies, sits in Lewisham Shopping Centre in south London, between a discount store and a shoe shop.

Yet Britain now has a larger share of foreign-born residents than America. One in six of its inhabitants began life in another country. The share is rising because, even as it strains to stop the boats, the Conservative government has opened the door to workers, students and selected victims of authoritarianism such as Hong Kongers and Ukrainians. Asylum is a sideshow in terms of the numbers. Fewer than 30,000 people floated across the English Channel last year. Long-term immigration in the year to June 2023 stood at 1.2m.

In many countries even skilled immigrants struggle to find jobs. In the EU foreign-born adults with degrees who are not still in education have an employment rate ten percentage points lower than natives with degrees. In Britain the gap is a trivial two points, and scantily educated foreign-born people are 12 points more likely to work than their British-born peers.

It is true that immigration remains the subject of furious political debate. But that is probably because the people who really dislike it are prepared to base their voting decisions on this issue alone. Britons as a whole have become more relaxed, especially since the Brexit vote. They seem unfussed by one remarkable recent development. The top political jobs in Britain, Scotland and London are all held by the children of immigrants, all of South Asian descent. The first ministers of Northern Ireland and Wales were born abroad (although Michelle O’Neill only moved north from Ireland).

Without realising it, Britain has become a nation of immigrants
The Economist, March 18th, 2024

https://www.economist.com/britain/20...-of-immigrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Economist
In 2013 lifespring church moved from the suburbs into a former cinema near the centre of Reading. At the time, its congregation was small and not varied. “We moved in as a white middle-class church,” says Neville Hollands, a senior pastor. These days Lifespring has members born in more than 40 countries.

Immigration has transformed Lifespring Church, Reading and Britain itself. The 2021 census of England and Wales showed that 10m people, one-sixth of the population, were born outside the United Kingdom. That was a higher share than in America or any large European country except Germany. The proportion is almost certainly higher still today. The census took place near the beginning of a huge increase in net migration—immigration minus emigration—which quickly reached a record level.

Britain’s foreign-born residents are frequently middle-class and slightly more female than male. They quickly get up to speed economically, and their children do strikingly well in school. The government makes no effort to disperse immigrants from ghettos, as, say, the Danish government does. Yet they disperse themselves anyway.

Gemma Catney, a geographer at Queen’s University in Belfast, has shown that every ethnic group in England and Wales became less segregated in the decade before the 2021 census (and also in the decades before the 2011 and 2001 censuses). Some places, such as the London boroughs of Brent and Newham, contain few white Britons. But they do not contain huge populations of one other group. Rather, they are diverse. In Newham no ethnic group accounts for more than one-sixth of the population.

The PISA tests run by the OECD, a club of mostly rich countries, show that in many European countries the children of immigrants score far worse than natives; the gaps in Germany and Sweden are huge. In Britain, immigrants’ children are a shade behind in reading and a shade ahead in maths.

Part of the explanation is that immigrants’ children are less poor in Britain than elsewhere in Europe. Another possibility is that many people migrate to Britain from countries like India, where university is essential for obtaining middle-class jobs, and have passed that assumption to their progeny. In Britain 77% of children from immigrant backgrounds expect to go to university, compared with 62% of other children; in France and Germany the natives are more confident.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post

Indians immigrate mostly through highly skilled worker programs (H1-b). Eligibility for visas under those programs basically mandates that the participants be employed in high income jobs. That is the reason that Indian Americans skew high income.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post

As for your hillbilly elegy,
Incidentally, Senator JD Vance's wife is Indian. Her online bio claims that she lives/works in San Francisco and Washington, DC:
https://www.mto.com/lawyers/usha-c-vance/

She in fact lives at 1858 William H. Taft Rd. in Cincinnati:
https://wedge.hcauditor.org/view/re/...2023/transfers

Quote:

rural white males still expect and demand to control the world but they can't manage to do the homework, let alone earn a degree. "Hulk smash" isn't a good life plan.

Whatever you say.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 5:10 PM

In the last few months we have had 2 Yemeni cafes, at least 1 new Yemeni restaurant, and a full service Yemeni-owned (via Detroit) supermarket open up in and around my North Buffalo neighborhood. There have been several other Muslim-oriented businesses opening all over, but this sudden Yemeni cluster in my neighborhood took me by surprise.

Just this month, local Muslim leaders stated that the overall Muslim population of the Buffalo area has been growing exponentially and now approaches 100,000, which just 20 years ago was estimated to be only around 5,000. A search for mosques in the area now lists almost 50, and new businesses serving the community are announced weekly. The huge growth of Bangladeshi relocating to Buffalo is fairly well know, but there also appears to be a substantial growth of other Muslims from the Middile East, Africa, South Asia, and relocating from other cities in the US.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:30 PM

African and Asian newcomers are the new face of migrants in NYC

https://gothamist.com/news/african-a...igrants-in-nyc

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
In the last few months we have had 2 Yemeni cafes, at least 1 new Yemeni restaurant, and a full service Yemeni-owned (via Detroit) supermarket open up in and around my North Buffalo neighborhood. There have been several other Muslim-oriented businesses opening all over, but this sudden Yemeni cluster in my neighborhood took me by surprise.

Just this month, local Muslim leaders stated that the overall Muslim population of the Buffalo area has been growing exponentially and now approaches 100,000, which just 20 years ago was estimated to be only around 5,000. A search for mosques in the area now lists almost 50, and new businesses serving the community are announced weekly. The huge growth of Bangladeshi relocating to Buffalo is fairly well know, but there also appears to be a substantial growth of other Muslims from the Middile East, Africa, South Asia, and relocating from other cities in the US.
Fresno has also been getting a lot of Yemeni immigrants.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Indians immigrate mostly through highly skilled worker programs (H1-b). Eligibility for visas under those programs basically mandates that the participants be employed in high income jobs. That is the reason that Indian Americans skew high income.
The first wave was very high skilled, recent migrants from India tend to be less affluent.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
India sends its best. The most populous nation on Earth sends its brightest to learn in US universities, and many of them settle in America.

As for your hillbilly elegy, rural white males still expect and demand to control the world but they can't manage to do the homework, let alone earn a degree. "Hulk smash" isn't a good life plan.

I am all for multiculturalism but this Malthusian neoliberal Social Darwinist mentality does no good and ends up fueling the anti-immigration arguments.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 12:14 PM
Ex Houstonian

Here in Carnegie, Pittsburghs first Muslim oriented clothing store opened this week. I hope more Muslims start moving to my neighborhood. They are much better neighbors than thugs and white trash. There’s also an Afghani restaurant that opened a couple of years ago downtown. Im sure the Yinzers hate it but as far as I can tell, Muslim immigrants don’t litter, don’t cause crime and are family oriented.

In the past year, an Indian family moved down the street from us and a Muslim family bought a house a block away…

There’s also (what I assume) illegal Central American immigrants living across the street from us now. They’re fine but they litter everywhere which drives me insane.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 2:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

cleveland just opened a new welcome center for immigrants —

Cuyahoga County to open new welcome center for immigrants and refugees

Ideastream Public Media | By Gabriel Kramer
Published February 14, 2024

Cuyahoga County opened its new welcome center at 10 a.m. Wednesday in Cleveland’s Old Brooklyn neighborhood to provide resources to newcomers — primarily immigrants and refugees.

Newcomers will be able to get help finding work, housing, legal assistance and multilingual services at the center, according to the county.

The center is part of the county’s plan to attract immigrants to the region and boost the overall population, said Cuyahoga County Executive Chris Ronayne.

“When you look at successful metropolitans that have been growing over the years, often the secret to their success is and a key ingredient is they welcome newcomers and immigrants,” Ronayne said. “We in greater Cleveland have not experienced population growth, yet we have the capacity to welcome more persons here.”

The county’s immigrant population has grown, despite the overall population shrinking from 2012 to 2022, according to the American Community Survey from the U.S. Census Bureau. In 2012, about 83,000 of the county’s 1,265,000 residents, 6.5%, were immigrants. In 2022, about 94,000 of the county’s 1,236,000 residents, 7.6%, were foreign-born.

“Our strength is in our diversity,” Ronayne said. “If we’re intentional about welcoming the world to Cleveland, Ohio, we’re going to grow.”

more:
https://www.ideastream.org/governmen...s-and-refugees

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions