HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBreaux1 View Post
It will. There will be a passageway linking Fulton Station to the WTC Hub. In fact, it will be possible to walk all the way from Brookfield Place to Fulton Station without having to go outdoors and/or above ground. Great for commuting in the winter!

In the map above, you can see some truncated text to the right of the Oculus. That's where the passageway connects.

Now that's some good news! Thank you!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 4:41 AM

This is the "Thingiest-thing" in all of the US ! . . .

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...cam=stnicholas
nice new cam, very good pictures
What about the Fulton Station?
Nifty cam - Video with Sound, cam moves around.
lots of guys in red,green&yellow vests not doing much.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 2:53 PM

new church building foundation/basement
on top of parking garage and new park

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 10:36 PM

First trip to NYC

My wife and I are travelling to NYC in early May - first time visiting. Is the transportation hub still scheduled for a December opening?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
My wife and I are travelling to NYC in early May - first time visiting. Is the transportation hub still scheduled for a December opening?
Yes it is. .

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Yes it is. .
Great thanks!

Do you know is there an completion date for Liberty Park?
I realize the church will take longer (than the park).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
great thanks!

Do you know is there an completion date for liberty park?
I realize the church will take longer (than the park).
First quarter of 2016.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pic by me

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 12:24 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Thomas_Koloski

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 2:10 AM
BANNED

Looks like Bane's sewer

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 8:29 AM

Some pics from my recent trip to NYC.

Oct.6 '15, my pics

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 3:14 PM

I haven't seen a photo posted here, and unfortunately I didn't stop to take one myself, but I noticed they've removed all the scaffolding between the open passenger area and the Occulus. All that remains is a single temporary construction wall. You can look into the Occulus and see the base of all the wings. It looks really cool. I can't wait until it's open.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 6:36 PM

http://www.batterypark.tv/real-estat...tail-city.html

EDIT: Just realized the video is pretty old. My bad.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 9:49 PM

Surprise, surprise, the opening is delayed yet again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT
A persistent water leak is among the problems that have delayed the opening of the mall, which was supposed to be operating by now, to the first half of 2016.

Authority officials and Westfield executives say they are working together to overcome last-minute hurdles and get the space ready as soon as possible.

The latest twist involves water penetration around the construction site of 3 World Trade Center, an office tower abutting the hub, which began in late summer.

What pedestrians perceive as the solid ground level around the 16-acre trade center is in fact the roof of a 70-foot-deep underground complex that includes much of the hub, including the PATH platforms and many of Westfield’s spaces, most of the memorial museum, 1,000 feet of the No. 1 subway line and enormous mechanical areas.

As many roofs do, this one began springing leaks. The Port Authority traced the sources of the water to the constant spraying done by workers to reduce dust levels as they break up concrete, and to the fact that Tower 3, still under construction, is open to the elements.

Coincidentally or not, DNAInfo reported on Aug. 25 that workers at the trade center were hearing the sound of water behind the walls in the lower concourses and said there were fears the seepage was coming from the slurry wall lining the foundations. The authority replied at the time that “its most recent inspection did not identify any leak in the slurry wall,” a situation that would have required a full-scale evacuation of the site. It did not elaborate on other possible leak sources, however.

On Tuesday, Steven Plate, the director of World Trade Center construction for the Port Authority, said: “The dripping has been reduced dramatically. We’ve made some significant progress. Several spaces are dry.” He said the leak had affected only four of Westfield’s retail spaces.

The authority expects to begin turning over retail spaces in the Oculus to Westfield “any day now,” Mr. Plate said. Eataly is already in possession of its space at 4 World Trade Center and has begun building.

The Oculus should open in the first half of 2016, Mr. Plate said.
During a visit on Monday, it looked fairly close to completion. Though the vast floor of grayish-white Lasa marble from Italy was largely covered by plywood, not much imagination was needed to see the glowing, cathedral-like space filled with visitors.

By fall of next year, two new PATH train platforms are to be in service, in addition to those already used by commuters. Finally, the mezzanine above the platforms, which is linked to the Oculus by a grand staircase, is to be finished by the end of next year. The authority has abandoned its plan to open an interim passageway through the Oculus.

“We want to be aggressive because we owe it to the people, the patrons of New York, New Jersey and the region,” Mr. Plate said. “But we want it to be the wonderful experience that we feel they deserve.”

The chief operating officer of Mr. Boulud’s Dinex Group, Brett Traussi, said his company understood that it was getting into an extraordinarily complex and challenging construction project when it signed a lease for an Épicerie Boulud bar, restaurant and grocery store. It had expected to be open this summer.

“It’s bought us a little bit of time to be more prepared,” Mr. Traussi said of the delay.

He made it plain that he thought it would be worth the wait, for a space that is close to the turnstiles of the No. 1 subway and PATH trains, a few doors down from Apple and in a “sun-filled, beautiful atrium.”

The hair stylist John Barrett is adding a fourth salon at the World Trade Center to those he already runs at Bergdorf Goodman and on Bond Street in Manhattan, and in Palm Beach, Fla. He, too, had expected to open this summer.

“We’re chomping at the bit to get going,” said James R. Hedges IV, chief executive of John Barrett Holdings. “Condé Nast and Goldman Sachs are chomping at the bit for us to get our doors open. I’m really bad at delayed gratification. This is like waiting for Santa Claus.”

The latest word, Mr. Hedges said, was that Santa will arrive in January.
Source: New York Times

Last edited by drumz0rz; Nov 5, 2015 at 10:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 1:51 PM
BANNED

^Here's how you have to look at it: This is an incredibly complex building. If there are a few leaks here and there, so be it. Think of all the seams involved in a design like this. Millions.
There's nothing like it in the world, we're lucky to have this in the US. Calatrava is good at imagining mind-bending structures like this, but he's obviously got some work to do as far as executing the design. The structure as a whole is a gem. Deduct 1% for leaks. It's still gets a 99% A+.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Thomas_Koloski

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 7:53 PM

Took this photo last night looking across the river from Jersey City. Help me out here... Why can't I see the skylight glass? The photos above this post you can see each square of glass with a stripe running down the middle where the two panels meet. Why does it look like there is nothing there in my photo? You can see straight into the hall... I'm seriously confused...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Took this photo last night looking across the river from Jersey City. Help me out here... Why can't I see the skylight glass? The photos above this post you can see each square of glass with a stripe running down the middle where the two panels meet. Why does it look like there is nothing there in my photo? You can see straight into the hall... I'm seriously confused...
Because the skylight is fully retracted and is not visible. They are in the process of removing the temporary platforms that were in place to help with the installation.

Great shot BTW!!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 7:59 PM

Ooh, so they retract into those dark grooves completely opening the space?! That's pretty awesome. I thought they'd just kinda open up a little bit, like a sky light. That's going to be amazing from inside.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture