HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 8:30 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Montreal rarely wins in BC.
And Tory Smith was probably playing drunk again, that never helps.

On another note, I understand the diehards will love the game no matter what but as a casual fan I have not been impressed so far. In the games I've watched or seen parts there of, there have been way to many penalties and sloppy offensive play. Although yes, good defensive play has had a lot to do with that, but then again I don't really watch the CFL for defensive play. If this keeps up teams will set records this year... for punting yards.

There have been way too many blow outs, so far 6 of the games have been decided by more than 3 touchdowns. Last year by week four there had only been 2 blowouts by that marge and just 15 all year. Going back to 2012 there were 3 by week four and a mere 11 in the entire year.
I know its early, I just really hope that alarming trend changes.

Last edited by vegeta_skyline; Jul 20, 2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: corrected numbers

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 8:55 PM

^ I'm a CFL diehard and I would definitely concede that the level of play has not been up to par so far this season. That said, the early part of the season is generally not that great at the best of times (chalk it up to a short pre-season - maybe it should go back to 4 weeks as it once was?), but this year a combination of sloppy offensive play, better than usual defenses and really aggressive reffing have led to a bunch of blowouts, low scoring games and generally duller football overall.

I have a feeling that things will straighten themselves out as the OCs work things out.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 6:58 AM
Rational urbanist

Maybe Ottawa diluted the league more than we thought it would?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 12:58 PM
The New Republic

When one considers how many good football players go through the NCAA/CIS, I'd be surprised if 1 pro team could make such a difference. We're really just going from 44 pro teams to 45 (CFL + NFL).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 1:45 PM

Quote:
When one considers how many good football players go through the NCAA/CIS, I'd be surprised if 1 pro team could make such a difference. We're really just going from 44 pro teams to 45 (CFL + NFL).
My thoughts exactly. The NCAA likely produces more quality imports (er, "internationals") than the CFL could absorb if it doubled its number of teams. There are so many good players coming out of that system that it it isn't a question of finding talent, it has more to do with the art of finding talent capable of making the transition to the pros.

I guess where you'd notice the spreading out of talent a bit more is on the non-import (er, "nationals") side of the roster. But even then when you consider that the CIS produced enough players to fill the rosters of 9 teams for all those years, and that the CIS is arguably producing more high quality players now than it ever has before, I still don't see it really being a problem.

I'd chalk it up to being a strange blip where for whatever reason defences are in sync but offences aren't. Some of it has to do with injuries (Toronto, Calgary), some of it is due to working out the kinks of a transitional phase (Montreal, Winnipeg). I don't expect this situation to last long.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:25 PM
The New Republic

Good points. We might see more good players come up through CIS in the future too. The CFL is enjoying significantly higher revenues and with that come better salaries. If things continue on this path, more Canadians might consider football than do currently.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:28 PM
DRINK

Stamps and esks should be awesome this week. There was a 50/50 prize of $71,000 that went unclaimed from last game.....if they get a good crowd that prize may be huge.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:32 PM

Early "Game of the Year" candidate coming up on Thursday.
I'm extremely pumped for this one! Should be a doozy!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:45 PM
The New Republic

So the Hamilton home opener this Saturday is at Ron Joyce? Ticketmaster says the game at THF has been canceled.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Early "Game of the Year" candidate coming up on Thursday.
I'm extremely pumped for this one! Should be a doozy!
Two league-leading Alberta teams playing each other in a first-place showdown? What is this, 1990?

The Stampeder offense is good but the Esks defence is better. I'm guessing Cornish will still be out for this one, so they'll be in tough. I'll take the Eskimos by 6.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:
So the Hamilton home opener this Saturday is at Ron Joyce? Ticketmaster says the game at THF has been canceled.
Yes - that was announced 2 weeks ago

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Yes - that was announced 2 weeks ago
Who could have ever imagined that

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 5:04 PM

Cornish will be a long shot for Thursdays game as his post concussion symptoms are back apparently. Should be a good game, but injuries could definitely be a factor..

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Stamps and esks should be awesome this week. There was a 50/50 prize of $71,000 that went unclaimed from last game.....if they get a good crowd that prize may be huge.
I wonder if the real Calgary offense will show up this week? I can't believe Hebert wasn't suspended. That hit was an attempt to injure, and it did!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 11:03 PM
恭喜发财!

As far as I'm concerned, the CFL (and NHL, for that matter) should make a rule that hits to the head causing concussion automatically result in a suspension for as long as the injured player is out for. That would make players think twice before making these kind of irresponsible hits.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 11:06 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the CFL (and NHL, for that matter) should make a rule that hits to the head causing concussion automatically result in a suspension for as long as the injured player is out for. That would make players think twice before making these kind of irresponsible hits.
The thing is, it's not always on purpose. I concussed a player just yesterday playing rugby, as I jumped to catch a kick and the tackler ran head first into my hip, knocking himself out in the process. Should I be suspended now because he (illegally I might add) ran his head into me? The suspension should be decided on whether there was intent or not.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 11:21 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
The thing is, it's not always on purpose. I concussed a player just yesterday playing rugby, as I jumped to catch a kick and the tackler ran head first into my hip, knocking himself out in the process. Should I be suspended now because he (illegally I might add) ran his head into me? The suspension should be decided on whether there was intent or not.
Maybe an exception should be made for true accidents, and each case should be judged individually. But if the hit that causes the concussion is a deliberate attempt to injure or is simply irresponsible, I think my point stands.

In your case, since you weren't at fault for his concussion, I wouldn't say you should be suspended.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 11:34 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Maybe an exception should be made for true accidents, and each case should be judged individually. But if the hit that causes the concussion is a deliberate attempt to injure or is simply irresponsible, I think my point stands.

In your case, since you weren't at fault for his concussion, I wouldn't say you should be suspended.
Yeah, I agree with suspensions to match length of time missed due to injury, I just think that's too hard to implement because you can never really now what a player's intentions were when he concusses someone. You wouldn't want to put people away for a season if they truly didn't want to hurt anybody.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
I wonder if the real Calgary offense will show up this week? I can't believe Hebert wasn't suspended. That hit was an attempt to injure, and it did!
Hebert is the dirtiest player in the league. He seems to go out of his way to make a head shot. I can't imagine why this guy doesn't get at least three UR flags per game.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 2:59 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Completely disagree.

Should somebody have been suspended if they knocked Eric Lindros out cold and ended his career, but the exact same hit on another player may make them see stars for a couple of seconds, and somebody else may just bounce right back up and not miss a shift.

It's the infraction that should be the sole reason for any sort of discipline, not the injury. Either it's dirty or not.

The NHL was going down the right path. Somebody made a dirty hit, shanahan reviewed it and put out a video explaining it....But I think the NHL doesn't do that anymore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada