HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 6:30 PM
gettin' rich!

Other future developments on the East Bayfront/Harbourfront should reduce the impact and hugeness of the One Yonge Complex.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 8:13 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Another update to my future Toronto render. This one has the One Yonge complex (looking totally out of scale to its surroundings) and a few other towers added, plus some revisions:
[IMG][/IMG]
Holy mother of god....

This image should come with a health warning, I almost had a heart attack... Stunning effort. Hats off to you sir...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 8:18 PM

Absolutely fantastic!!! Toronto is insane, and it's always getting better! Mirvish/Oxford help to balance our skyline. One Yonge is great!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 9:49 PM
gettin' rich!

With all of this building, Toronto will get more of a big city feeling. Busier pedestrian streets are what make it seem big and bustling. Last time, I was in New York and then came back, Toronto felt like Hamilton. So I'm really excited about all this future development.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 11:48 PM
The New Republic

Agree. As much as Toronto has grown over the last 10 years it could do with lots more density. I'm hoping for a doubling of our downtown population within the next 20 years.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 12:30 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Last time, I was in New York and then came back, Toronto felt like Hamilton. So I'm really excited about all this future development.
So a strongly urban middle sized north american city?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree. As much as Toronto has grown over the last 10 years it could do with lots more density. I'm hoping for a doubling of our downtown population within the next 20 years.
Montréal is also trying to double its downtown population. to reach 200 000

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:42 AM
ARTchitecture

Every city is trying to increase/double their downtown populations Any that aren't making efforts toward this end are what I would like to call "stagnant shitholes"...

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:46 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Every city is trying to increase/double their downtown populations Any that aren't making efforts toward this end are what I would like to call "stagnant shitholes"...
I don't think Vancouver is. It really couldn't increase much more.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:49 AM

During the day in downtown Toronto, the city has always felt dead to me and isn't even remotely as busy as downtown Vancouver.

You can blame that 100% on PATH and the thing that makes PATH even more urban unfriendly is that they are expanding it to Southcore.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:50 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
The city is still allowing more development and more is planned, people want to move there. That's what I mean. Restrictions on inner city development, either outright or inadvertent, are really stupid. It's a problem that faces many American cities (lack of funding for inner city schools, lack of public transit, lack of services equal to those in the suburbs, lack of safety, etc)... But back to Vancouver, technically the Downtown isn't only just growing in population, it's also growing in area, with the development of SE False Creek and whatnot. Plus the developments along the Kingsway and Broadway

I just got really excited for my trip next month! So many Van pics to take!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:05 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Downtown Vancouver could have accommodated a far larger population than it currently does but didn't make smart use of the limited land on the peninsula. Vancouver has the most expensive real estate in Canada yet they chose to build a sea of 20-40 floor condo towers.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:15 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
During the day in downtown Toronto, the city has always felt dead to me and isn't even remotely as busy as downtown Vancouver.

You can blame that 100% on PATH and the thing that makes PATH even more urban unfriendly is that they are expanding it to Southcore.
PATH does suck a huge amount of pedestrian traffic and amenities underground, but Toronto might eventually intensify to the point that it will need both PATH and ground level to handle the volume of people. If Toronto continues to build as it has, it will need them both.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:21 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Downtown Vancouver could have accommodated a far larger population than it currently does but didn't make smart use of the limited land on the peninsula. Vancouver has the most expensive real estate in Canada yet they chose to build a sea of 20-40 floor condo towers.
I don't follow your logic. Wouldn't building towers add more people into the downtown?

And to be honest, I wish our downtown wasn't so residential. It's caused a lot of problems, because people move there and then complain about how loud and busy it is, so lots of places and events have been shut down over the years. Having people presence in your downtown is good, but it can't be over done like we've done it.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:24 AM

The T shape is turning into an H.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:35 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:

Um, no. Downtown Toronto is jammed with people most of the day and well into the night when the weather is nice. To say that it is not even remotely as busy as downtown Vancouver is one of the kookiest things I've ever read on this forum.

Last edited by softee; Apr 1, 2014 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:44 AM

Quote:

Perhaps in the cold weather months, but once temperatures get above 10 degrees, the streets are absolutely packed with people.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:00 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
The T shape is turning into an H.

I was thinking more of a U or an O

But to each his own.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:03 AM
ARTchitecture

Agreed! The PATH doesn't negatively effect Downtown Toronto nearly as much as the +15 Network negatively effects Downtown Calgary. However, I'm not sure if I'd rather not have the +15 system, because it serves its purpose very well for the cold 1/3 of the year, and even still, the streets are relatively busy for our size. It just could be a lot busier.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:07 AM

Quote:
I don't follow your logic. Wouldn't building towers add more people into the downtown?

And to be honest, I wish our downtown wasn't so residential. It's caused a lot of problems, because people move there and then complain about how loud and busy it is, so lots of places and events have been shut down over the years. Having people presence in your downtown is good, but it can't be over done like we've done it.
He's saying that the towers should be bigger.

I disagree. Vancouver just needs to up-zone more of its single family areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada