HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I think moving the VIA station is a good idea in theory, although it would mean it would no longer have convenient transit access. Perhaps cancel the rapid transit corridor south of the Jock River and redirect it westward instead?
Why do you think moving the station is a good idea in theory? Just wondering your logic. Barrhaven is spreading southward and the VIA station is conveniently located at Barrhaven's main transit station. I think it serves people from Kanata fine where it is (easy access straight down Fallowfield from the 416 or Eagleson). I personally don't see the logic to moving it. Unless it's to serve this new 'business centre'. But its years and years away from landing any significant tenants that would need this sort of direct VIA access.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Why do you think moving the station is a good idea in theory? Just wondering your logic. Barrhaven is spreading southward and the VIA station is conveniently located at Barrhaven's main transit station. I think it serves people from Kanata fine where it is (easy access straight down Fallowfield from the 416 or Eagleson). I personally don't see the logic to moving it. Unless it's to serve this new 'business centre'. But its years and years away from landing any significant tenants that would need this sort of direct VIA access.
In theory because Fallowfield is an isolated location with nothing really around it but a Park and Ride, while serving a new business centre would be beneficial. But the lack of transit access reduces that thought...

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
I definitely think there is a business case for Costco to open a new store in Barrhaven. The community population is approaching 100,000 (if not already surpassed) and the location is ideal to serve folks in surrounding communities (Manotick, Richmond, Riverside South after the bridge is completed and even along the 416 corridor down to Kemptville).

Obviously not everybody shops at Costco and you can't compare WalMart against Costco but just look at how close the WalMart SuperCentres are in Kanata (one in the Centrum and another one 5 minute drive away in the new community of Blackstone). Same for WalMart at Lincoln Heights and Baseline/Clyde. When they open the latter, I thought they would close the Lincoln Heights location but no both are still going strong.
Costco generally goes for 100k-200k people per store (depending on factors like wealth, presence/absence of corporate spenders, etc.) so a Barrhaven store in the near future is definitely something that could work.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 4:03 AM

Per Jan Harder's Twitter feed, Barrhaven will also get a Honda dealership as well as a major retailer.

The Strandherd-Armstrong bridge and the new Minto Sports Complex will be completed shortly. Things are starting to fall into places in the 'Haven!

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 4:08 AM

Not to mention the approval of Tega's new condo tower at the town centre. Barrhaven's really come a long way.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 10:03 PM

According to the map in the link below, there is supposed to be a hotel and commercial retail to complement the auto park

http://caylbrooke.com/wp-content/upl...OSS-STREET.pdf

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 10:24 PM

I hadn't actually seen that road network proposal before or I didn't look into. They want to close McKenna Casey and have the road through the office park use the existing road under the 416 to link up to Moodie. Interesting idea.

Also a hotel is needed in Barrhaven! Also right beside the 416 is an ideal location.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I hadn't actually seen that road network proposal before or I didn't look into. They want to close McKenna Casey and have the road through the office park use the existing road under the 416 to link up to Moodie. Interesting idea.

Also a hotel is needed in Barrhaven! Also right beside the 416 is an ideal location.
I agree about the 'Haven and the need for a hotel. There is currently none in the immediate vicinity!

It will do well in this location as it's only minutes away from the hi-tech corridor in Kanata and the big employers (RCMP at the Merivale Business Park and DND at the former Nortel building).

Also convenient location for folks coming up from the GTA/Kingston/Brockville/New York State. I'd like to see a well-established joint here, something along the line of a Hilton Garden Inn or Holiday Inn would be A-OK.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 12:25 AM

The excavators have started clearing the land for the car dealerships. Planned opening date is summer/fall 2015.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 11:48 PM

This one may needs its own thread later on but for now...

From Jan Harder's e-blast

Big Retail News for Barrhaven
The City has received a site plan control application for 4337 and 4433 Strandherd Drive. The site is located to the west of Strandherd Drive and east of Highway 416.

The applicant is proposing a total of ten free-standing buildings, providing approximately 32,000 square metres of retail, restaurant, bank, and community services uses.

To obtain further information relating to this proposal, e.g., plans, studies and assessments, go to Ottawa.ca/devapps, access the City’s Development Application Search Tool, and input the File Number (D07-12-14-0120) in the “Search” criteria. And of course keep an eye on my e-newsletters, Twitter and for more information soon.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:26 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 9:58 AM

Phew... that was close!!!

Finally... another strip mall in the area. I was worried they were going to plunk down a hotel or something imaginative there.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 11:25 AM

I quickly checked the Site Summary and the anchor store will have an associated gas bar.

Hmm, let's see. There is already a Canadian Tire with a gas bar on Greenbank. There is a Loblaws with no gas bar in the same vicinity as well.

That leaves Costco?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I quickly checked the Site Summary and the anchor store will have an associated gas bar.

Hmm, let's see. There is already a Canadian Tire with a gas bar on Greenbank. There is a Loblaws with no gas bar in the same vicinity as well.

That leaves Costco?
Looking at the site plan online, building A1 certainly has that Costco look and the gas bar is a one way system..which is what Costco uses.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:06 AM

People on other boards have said Farm Boy and Target will also go into this business park.

Excavation is fully under way.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:
People on other boards have said Farm Boy and Target will also go into this business park.

Excavation is fully under way.
Interesting.
I would have thought that a Barrhaven Target would have gone in a proposed Trinity development behind Barrhaven Towne Centre at Strandherd and Jockvale.
Also, there is already a Farm Boy on Woodroffe. Does Barrhaven need two Farm Boys?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Interesting.
I would have thought that a Barrhaven Target would have gone in a proposed Trinity development behind Barrhaven Towne Centre at Strandherd and Jockvale.
Also, there is already a Farm Boy on Woodroffe. Does Barrhaven need two Farm Boys?
The current Barrhaven Farm Boy is located pretty far from this site, it takes about 10 minutes of driving on Woodroffe then down Strandherd to get to the location of the (potential) Farm Boy.

Also keep in mind there are tons of residences around this area and the closest grocery store right now is Ross' Independent and Loblaws at the corner of Strandherd and Greenbank. Having another grocery store in this (new) subdivision together with Costco will certainly be welcoming for the local residents. They are also good for Richmond residents and Bridlewood/Monahan Landing residents in Kanata going up Moodie then Strandherd.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 2:55 AM
National Capital Region

The 25 acre commercial area was purchased by Trinity from the Regional Group.. hopefully we'll see an update confirming some of the retailers on their site.

They seemed to have dropped out of a development application for the Strandherd/Jockvale site
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=472

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Oct 24, 2014 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 3:25 AM

Poster on another board indicates Costco Barrhaven should open in Fall 2015.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 12:56 AM

I drove by the site today. The whole site is underconstruction for services. Not just the Trinity site at the north end but right down to the south end. All roads and infrastructure is going in and Standerd drive is being widened as well. South of the Trinity site a sign was posted indicating future sites for two auto dealerships. One was Toyota. I was driving so did have enough time to make out the second dealership.

Intrerestingly before I got to the citi gate site I saw a sign marketing a Barrhaven Automart at the NW location of 416 and Fallowfield. So there are two competing sites for auto dealorships. 1 site maybe but 2 so close to each other? Personally I would hope for new office commercial, warehousing, manufacturing, not just not new retail. Obviously the Trinity site is retail but I hope the south portion will be different.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs