HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 1:25 PM
From the Planning Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
So what exactly is happening with this site? It was supposed to be a high-tech park like Kanata North but it seems all that's going in is warehouses, construction offices, and retail.

I've always been skeptical of this spot's viability as a tech park. Tech likes to be near itself, and this spot is nowhere near either Kanata North (the hub of the industry) or the downtown core; furthermore, it's not really in a great location to attract commuters. It's next to the 416, sure, but there's not much on the 416.

That said, this site does have great potential as a more industrial/semi-industrial site.
Agree. I think someone will have to cut bait at some point and come to the same conclusion.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Nope. The plan is still a high-tech campus. They probably won't find one though for a variety of reasons. The location is better served for industrial/distribution purposes. Someone tell that to the Ward Councillor who has visions of an office park though.

Car dealerships and a Costco are hardly amenities for nearby residents. Amenities are located at the Town Centre. This spot being next to the only interchange in urban south should be reserved for more appropriate uses.
I guess we will agree to disagree on the definition of amenities. I have no doubt nearby residents would be more than happy to see the Costco there + car dealerships + other businesses than what is currently available.

They will no longer have to go to Merivale or Kanata or Bells Corners for car services/purchases or to shop at Costco and to me that is good enough in my book.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 1:00 PM
National Capital Region

Lonestar now coming instead of Montana's, Moores off the list

http://www.barrhavenblog.com/wp-cont...o-site-map.jpg

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 1:52 AM

The Costco should be open by mid-November. Can't find where I read that information earlier in the week. I will post the link when I find it.

Also the beams are up for the LCBO and a few of the other surrounding retail buildings. Going to be a busy stretch of Strandherd between Jockvale and Kennevale once this opens up.

Opens Nov 9th...

Facebook Event

Last edited by MountainView; Oct 19, 2016 at 3:05 AM. Reason: Added Link

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 12:09 PM

I wonder if they still have room for a hotel in this business park. That is 1 thing missing in Barrhaven and there have been talks, for a number of years, to have one put up here.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
I wonder if they still have room for a hotel in this business park. That is 1 thing missing in Barrhaven and there have been talks, for a number of years, to have one put up here.
Absolutely! Only 25 acres was sold to Trinity for Power Centre development. There is still 125 acres remaining for office/employment. The new Tomlinson office is under construction right now with a tower crane up.

CitiGate Area Plan

There are some pictures on the link above showing how much more area is still left with some rough plans.

I had originally thought that a hotel would perhaps go near the corner of Fallowfield / Strandherd / O'Keefe, where the old talk of a new warehouse was going.

Also - there is a Nissan, Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler dealership going up in the area but on the west side of the 416 off Moodie drive behind the City of Ottawa yard. Their buildings are very visible from the 416.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 1:37 PM

I have been to the Costco Barrhaven a number of times (at different time of the day) since they opened almost a month ago and the store was not busy at all.

A nice change of pace compared to the crowds we used to see at the Kanata/Merivale/Innes Costco. I can get in and out pretty quickly and there has been no issue finding a parking spot

I am sure more people will flock here as the word spreads and the construction is complete for the other tenants in the same plaza.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 12:35 AM

Some more confirmed stores:

Not sure the source on the dates but it is listed in the Barrhaven Blog as such. A lot of the buildings on site at least look like their structures are ready. Perhaps some will open sooner.

Value Village: May 15th
LCBO - June 2nd
Panago Pizza - July 30th
Tim Horton's - Aug 28th
Lone Star - November 11th
A&W - November 28th
Dollarama - Feb 2, 2018
Marshall's - Feb 2, 2018
Sleep Country - March 1, 2018
Ren's Pet Depot - March , 2018

Plus: Tutti Fruiti, Natural Fruit Pantry, Nail Salon, Dentist, Vacuum Shop, SuperCuts, Shawarma.
The above are listed on Trinity's website for the development.

SOURCE - Barrhaven Blog

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 11:30 AM

Thanks for posting! Good news all around!

These stores may be your typical run-of-the-mill suburban shopping plaza but I have always maintained my stance that they are good for local residents in terms of convenience and local jobs!

This particular area will continue to see a lot of construction/expansion in the next few years. I look forward to seeing everything unfolding!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 1:32 PM

Most of the jobs at these retail places are low pay.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
Most of the jobs at these retail places are low pay.
Better than no jobs and they may provide the experience and contacts for bigger and better things.

Hey man I'm just a glass half full kinda guy

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs