HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
This looks out of place. Especially because they retained some of the La Placita buildings alongside the newer Flin apartments. I hope they fix up the original buildings so it looks a little newer (fresh coat of paint at least). And that gazebo needs to be upgraded to a stage or a massive awning to host events (COVID Friendly area hopefully).

EDIT: I haven't been following this project so if there is a plan for the gazebo area, my apologies.
I completely agree that the gazebo is starting to look rather sad, but it's a rich part of the city's history that has been rather forgotten and shouldn't/couldn't be removed. Here's a picture of it as a core part of Tucson before the area around it was destroyed during urban renewal. Everything built up around it was very out of context for the gazebo.

I agree though, an outdoor stage, maybe situated how they had cinema La Placita back in the day, could be a cool addition to the area.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 12:12 AM

TMC has announced they will build a 60-bed hospital at Houghton and Drexel.

New 60-bed hospital coming to Southeast Tucson

This will be adjacent to their TMC One - Rincon office building that they now explain is phase 1 of a 3-phase project (the future hospital, which is projected to open in 2023, is to be phase 3). Though TMC had planned on building a hospital on this land in the 2000s before the Great Recession and though the area's population is expanding, I find this to be surprising as Northwest Medical Center is currently building a 51-bed hospital approximately 3.5 miles up the road at Houghton and Old Spanish Trail (Work is underway on Tucson's newest hospital).

On a similar note, NW Medical Center has opened the first hospital in Sahuarita - New Sahuarita hospital opens doors to patients

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 11:32 PM

New project on Campbell and 6th for a midrise and mixed use with likely student housing. Kozachik talks about it in his usual NIMBYish manner in his newsletter. Dude really hates student housing.
https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2aac40c

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 8:18 PM

Kozachik has been one of the worst people for development in Tucson. He's nixed so many things downtown. And the dude just got fired from UA too. Time for him to hang his hat up. I think this project is appropriate and 1000x better than the shacks on that corner for the past 50 years.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 9:22 PM

Reid Park Zoo Expansion has begun, finally!

I'm sure most have read about this but its actually finally happening. They have begun construction on our poor, old, sad zoo. The expansion and redevelopment looks great! I hope they bring it up to a world-class zoo level. I wish they'd expand it into the old Randolph Golf Course. Maybe one day. But this looks pretty nice.

https://reidparkzoo.org/future/#

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 10:22 PM

Stackhouse Tucson

A unique new way of tiny house living is hoping to be pioneered right here in Tucson. The Stackhouse concept envisions a community of shipping containers transformed into living spaces for those who want affordability and the ability to actually transport their homes to Stackhouses in different cities.

-Starting price of a container is $45k
- 320 sq ft
- community spaces and gathering areas within
- Onsite parking
- Six story stackhouse
- They want to build in 25 cities including NYC, Kansas City, Dallas, Denver, Charlotte.
- 941 N. Stone Ave, proposed site

They have already raised over $150k and according to their Facebook, they are supposed to start construction in Q4 of 2020. However, they haven't updated information on their FB since August 2020 so it seems like they might have hit a bump or delay. They posted a community meeting video on July 30 detailing the plans: SIDE NOTE, a representative from the 4th Ave coalition noted that the OPUS development that is supposed to happen on the old Maloney's site has fallen through due to them rejecting the GPLET they were seeking..? (Not sure if the 4th Ave coalition has to approve projects to get the GPLET on 4th Ave).

Check out Video here and more photos:

https://www.facebook.com/stackhouseliving/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 1:17 AM
Skyriser

This a container design I don't hate. Innovative and outstanding.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 1:34 AM

Mount Lemmon Lodge

First I've heard of this. A new 3 story Mount Lemmon Lodge is being built. Chalet-style. Should be done by 2022.

https://thisistucson.com/todo/mount-...2-SL8DV7VGExas

https://mtlemmonlodge.com/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
This a container design I don't hate. Innovative and outstanding.
I like it too. People will look for different affordable housing options especially in big urban cities.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 1:58 AM

The Stackhouse Project has been around for a few years:

https://stackhouse.life/

I hope it is actually realized, but I have my doubts

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
The Stackhouse Project has been around for a few years:

https://stackhouse.life/

I hope it is actually realized, but I have my doubts
yea I really agree very doubtful this gets realized especially if after all these years they've only raised 150k. Don't really see the advantage over an RV.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 1:19 AM

Nor-Gen Arena Site

Does anyone know what is going on with this? Their September deadline has come and gone and I know they submitted renderings of that bandstand looking thing, but never really heard much of a response from Rio Nuevo even from that. I know they talk about it in the "executive sessions" but they never saying anything public.

Anyone have any inside info?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 9:42 PM

Stacked Containers

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
A unique new way of tiny house living is hoping to be pioneered right here in Tucson. The Stackhouse concept envisions a community of shipping containers transformed into living spaces for those who want affordability and the ability to actually transport their homes to Stackhouses in different cities.

-Starting price of a container is $45k
- 320 sq ft
- community spaces and gathering areas within
- Onsite parking
- Six story stackhouse
- They want to build in 25 cities including NYC, Kansas City, Dallas, Denver, Charlotte.
- 941 N. Stone Ave, proposed site

They have already raised over $150k and according to their Facebook, they are supposed to start construction in Q4 of 2020. However, they haven't updated information on their FB since August 2020 so it seems like they might have hit a bump or delay. They posted a community meeting video on July 30 detailing the plans: SIDE NOTE, a representative from the 4th Ave coalition noted that the OPUS development that is supposed to happen on the old Maloney's site has fallen through due to them rejecting the GPLET they were seeking..? (Not sure if the 4th Ave coalition has to approve projects to get the GPLET on 4th Ave).

Check out Video here and more photos:

https://www.facebook.com/stackhouseliving/

Unfortunately, appears the project doesn't pencil. At least from a lender's perspective. Infrastructure to make this feasible is very expensive. Costs (and in turn the loan amount most likely desired) aren't covered by cash flow.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
On Thursday's Buckmaster Show, Jim Tofel of Tofel Dent Construction noted that funding for all of their hotel projects in the pipeline has been pulled, which doesn't bode well for proposed Tucson hotels, including the Hyatt Regency and One South Church conversions in downtown, as well as the Tech Park at The Bridges hotel.
The SpringHill Suites at The Bridges is moving forward. A grading permit was issued last week. To be clear, this is separate from the hotel that's being built next to Dave & Buster's.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 5:58 PM
Teacher

Union on 6th live cam

Here's a great live cam of the Union on 6th apartment complex. Any other live cams out there, I would love to know. Happy holidays!

https://app.oxblue.com/open/chasse/unionon6th

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 8:26 PM

Has there been any updates on 75 E. Broadway or the apartment project in the Mercado right on the Santa Cruz? I know 75 E Broadway had a few more hurdles but haven't heard any thing in a few months.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
Here's a great live cam of the Union on 6th apartment complex. Any other live cams out there, I would love to know.
Here's the webcam from the Hampton/Home2 hotel downtown

https://app.truelook.com/?u=eh1576095343#tl_live

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
Has there been any updates on 75 E. Broadway or the apartment project in the Mercado right on the Santa Cruz? I know 75 E Broadway had a few more hurdles but haven't heard any thing in a few months.
Last I heard was 75 E Broadway is still a go. I read the transcript for Novembers Rio Nuevo meeting and it appeared they have done all they need to. Rio Nuevo signed off on the sublease and those papers just need final approval with Pima County Board of Supervisors and then those are signed by the developer and lender. So its in the last bit of paperwork. But, of course, with Covid exploding in the last month...quite a lot might have changed. But as long as lenders dont pull out I believe its a go.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 6:06 PM

FYI - In a discussion with SAHBA reps this week, we heard that new home construction permits in Pima County are up 10% over 2019. Even with the pandemic, growth seems to not have slowed

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 8:17 PM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
FYI - In a discussion with SAHBA reps this week, we heard that new home construction permits in Pima County are up 10% over 2019. Even with the pandemic, growth seems to not have slowed
As far as SE Tucson and Vail, you have La Estancia (where I Live), Valencia Crossing (I-10 and Valencia), Rocking K (Old Spanish Trail into Vail), Sierra Morado area has A.F Sterling Homes and KB homes has a couple new communities in SE Tucson. Also hearing rumblings of a new community to be built across from the new Vail District High School on Valencia (Mica Mountain I think).

Yeah, no signs of slowing down. I'm sure it's like this throughout Tucson metro. Between this and the fixer uppers in places like Barrio Viejo, the market is rocking and rolling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest