HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 6:11 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Random thought: has anyone heard, will the future extension of the SkyTrain make a stop at the Greyhound Station en route to the Car Rental Center? It would seem to make a lot of sense since it's going right by there.

Additionally, I wonder if there's any thought to building a West Economy Garage somewhere. With T3 expanding and T2 perhaps being replaced some day, it does seem like that could be necessary.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 4:21 PM

Does anyone know who owns the building on the northeast corner of 3rd st/McKinley? Apparently, that home was built in 1909 but you would never know it with the alterations made to it. It was somewhat salvageable in its state a few years back when it was an art gallery, but whoever took over afterward has literally took white spray paint and covered the entire building - windows, roofing, everything. They also ripped out all the mature landscaping.

The fact that there's a gorgeous brick 1909 house under there makes me so upset, but the fact that someone would make it look so positively ghastly is something I'm not comprehending.

From 2011: http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...-arnott-house/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 4:02 PM

Phoenix on TV.

Check out www.TVFirstLook.com (my site) for an overview of all the sports events happening in the Phoenix metro this week.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 4:33 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Random thought: has anyone heard, will the future extension of the SkyTrain make a stop at the Greyhound Station en route to the Car Rental Center? It would seem to make a lot of sense since it's going right by there.

Additionally, I wonder if there's any thought to building a West Economy Garage somewhere. With T3 expanding and T2 perhaps being replaced some day, it does seem like that could be necessary.
I think a Greyhound stop would make a lot of sense, but since Greyhound operates on such low margins, I doubt it would help cover the cost and I don't think the city would build a station there without some participation from the bus company. Unfortunately, Greyhound has never shown much concern for how passengers get to and from their terminals. Their bus stations used to be in downtowns across the country. Now, many, including the one in Phoenix, have been moved to freeway locations. That saves money and time for the bus company, but comes at the expense of its passengers, many of whom are probably transit-dependent.

I think any prospect of a west garage vanished with the plans for a west terminal, but who knows what the future will bring.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 4:01 PM

I was downtown Sunday morning for breakfast and there were already quite a few people. Not quite a "buzz", but it's definitely going to be great.

Although, in watching the Dan Patrick show this morning and SportsCenter, you'd never know a real city is somewhere out here in "Arizona". The DP Show built a man-cave saloon, a rawhide looking fake old west lot complete with guys on horseback in the background behind Dan. Plus, they're broadcasting out by the stadium. Then SportsCenter is set up out in a parking lot by Scottsdale Fashion Square mall. The backdrop of Camelback Mountain is cool, however, going to commercial they kept showing the "old town" area Gilbert Ortega gallery and cactus.

Unfortunately, these major sports productions won't hinder the perception some people might have that we're just an old desert area where people ride horses. However, anyone that comes here should have a great time in Scottsdale, at the Phoenix Open, and downtown Phoenix at Super Bowl Central. Especially given the fact that the whole east coast is about to deal with a blizzard.

Unfortunately, I'm reading we're supposed to get some rain this week and possibly this weekend. That totally sucks for people's impressions and tourism, but at least it won't be too cold. John McCain was on the Dan Patrick Show this morning promoting Arizona's good weather while he and the rest of the east coast had snow.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:34 PM
BANNED

I listens to the DP show and also heard John McCain on it. He did a good job promoting AZ and seemed knowledgeable/up to date on sports issues.

As for the back drops and visuals of the desert, sunshine, cactus and mountains, that's AZ's selling point. People want to see that. They don't want to see another generic urban environment. They want to see people hiking mountains in the sunshine, while they're bundled up and hunkered down.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I listens to the DP show and also heard John McCain on it. He did a good job promoting AZ and seemed knowledgeable/up to date on sports issues.

As for the back drops and visuals of the desert, sunshine, cactus and mountains, that's AZ's selling point. People want to see that. They don't want to see another generic urban environment. They want to see people hiking mountains in the sunshine, while they're bundled up and hunkered down.
I agree, showing shots of downtown Phoenix isn't exactly going to impress anyone coming from Seattle or Boston.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:56 PM

Agreed. I was on the team that organized focus groups for the Arizona Office of Tourism, and one of the main takeaways from those sessions was that Arizona can't compete with other cities when it comes to urban experiences, dining, nightlife, etc. Where we can "win" is in our natural landscapes, western cultural heritage, etc. So, it's very smart to be playing that up.

At the same time, it's wonderful what resources have been put into making downtown such a great experience for those venturing down there this week. Downtown won't be a core differentiator for Phoenix, but it's something that most travelers assume is a vibrant, central civic center for the metro, and so for that reason (and many others), it's important that it be shown in a good light.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:11 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Downtown won't be a core differentiator for Phoenix, but it's something that most travelers assume is a vibrant, central civic center for the metro, and so for that reason (and many others), it's important that it be shown in a good light.

Exactly. Downtown will probably never be a major reason for people to visit, but if we don't a have vibrant one, it becomes a detractor.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I was on the team that organized focus groups for the Arizona Office of Tourism, and one of the main takeaways from those sessions was that Arizona can't compete with other cities when it comes to urban experiences, dining, nightlife, etc. Where we can "win" is in our natural landscapes, western cultural heritage, etc. So, it's very smart to be playing that up.

At the same time, it's wonderful what resources have been put into making downtown such a great experience for those venturing down there this week. Downtown won't be a core differentiator for Phoenix, but it's something that most travelers assume is a vibrant, central civic center for the metro, and so for that reason (and many others), it's important that it be shown in a good light.
True, but at the same time people's perception back east that we have dirt roads and ride horses still and it's basically the old west (which is ridiculous to think anyone would be so oblivious) are only being reinforced.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:39 PM
BANNED

I agree. I think a modern version of the West is needed rather than the hackneyed tumbleweed and cowboy images.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
True, but at the same time people's perception back east that we have dirt roads and ride horses still and it's basically the old west (which is ridiculous to think anyone would be so oblivious) are only being reinforced.
Of course.. I don't know exactly what is being shown. But, there are plenty of areas in Old Town that perfectly show the Phoenix area to be a modern city that still has a deep-rooted western culture worth exploring. It's all about juxtaposing the wild west with things like the MIM, SouthBridge, W Hotel, etc.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Of course.. I don't know exactly what is being shown. But, there are plenty of areas in Old Town that perfectly show the Phoenix area to be a modern city that still has a deep-rooted western culture worth exploring. It's all about juxtaposing the wild west with things like the MIM, SouthBridge, W Hotel, etc.
Very true... I haven't seen anything like that shown yet though. Granted, I haven't been watching all channels all the time.

I just know the Dan Patrick show is basically on a Wild West town looking set with OK Corral signs and they have them riding in through the desert on horseback in "Tombstone" fashion as the opening sequence. Hokey and pretty ridiculous. Kind of funny though since the giant modern stadium is in the background behind the fake wooden fences. I know they are going for silly and over the top, but it's a bit much.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I was downtown Sunday morning for breakfast and there were already quite a few people. Not quite a "buzz", but it's definitely going to be great.

Although, in watching the Dan Patrick show this morning and SportsCenter, you'd never know a real city is somewhere out here in "Arizona". The DP Show built a man-cave saloon, a rawhide looking fake old west lot complete with guys on horseback in the background behind Dan. Plus, they're broadcasting out by the stadium. Then SportsCenter is set up out in a parking lot by Scottsdale Fashion Square mall. The backdrop of Camelback Mountain is cool, however, going to commercial they kept showing the "old town" area Gilbert Ortega gallery and cactus.

Unfortunately, these major sports productions won't hinder the perception some people might have that we're just an old desert area where people ride horses. However, anyone that comes here should have a great time in Scottsdale, at the Phoenix Open, and downtown Phoenix at Super Bowl Central. Especially given the fact that the whole east coast is about to deal with a blizzard.

Unfortunately, I'm reading we're supposed to get some rain this week and possibly this weekend. That totally sucks for people's impressions and tourism, but at least it won't be too cold. John McCain was on the Dan Patrick Show this morning promoting Arizona's good weather while he and the rest of the east coast had snow.
At least NFL Network is downtown at Super Bowl Central. I think some of the NBC/ Comcast Sports Net stations are using the 12 News outdoor stage by all the festivities. I think most of the other local stations are following suit at various locations UoP Stadium, Scottsdale and what not.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 10:28 PM

TV stuff going on downtown: Access Hollywood Live is there all week, I believe at CityScape. Golf Channel's great, seriously under-appreciated talk show Feherty is live last night and tonight at 8pm at the Orpheum.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:01 AM

/\ Do you need tickets to the Orpheum? I'd like to check out the building and see Feherty.

EDIT: Nevermind. Sold out.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 10:34 PM

Phoenix seems so disjointed to me...which city is dominant in this area, Phoenix or Scottsdale. It seems like all the cities in the valley have their own identity and don't just identify as Phoenix. The super bowl has magnified this for me. Having teams named "Arizona" hurts Phoenix ' visibility.

Last edited by dennis1; Jan 30, 2015 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 11:02 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
Phoenix seems so disjointed to me...which city is dominant in this area, Phoenix or Scottsdale. It seems like all the cities in the valley have their own identity and don't just identify as Phoenix. The super bowl has magnified this for me. Having teams named "Arizona" hurts Phoenix ' visibility.
I think it's great that every city has its own identity. What fun would it be if every place seemed like every place else? In fact, that's usually one of the biggest criticism of the Valley, so if you're complaint is that different parts of the region are too distinct, I say: hooray!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 2:05 AM

I do agree that it sucks that most of our sports teams are named "Arizona". I bet people in Denver, Minneapolis and Indianapolis feel the same way.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 4:10 AM
E pluribus unum

I think that's one of the drawbacks of a state with one giant metropolitan area.

I moved to Arizona from Cincinnati (in Ohio, there's Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus competing with one another, as well as smaller cities like Dayton, Akron and Toledo doing the same) and Phoenix's complete dominance (understandable, given that at least 60% of the state's population lives somewhere in the Valley) over the rest of Arizona has always fascinated me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest