HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:04 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I know what you mean. I used to look to places like Vancouver and Honolulu as an indication of what we might expect with residential high rises here. This was years ago back when they were first announcing they wanted more housing downtown. I have to admit that at the time I wasn't optimistic. I had always favored office towers up to that point, but we've had a good bunch of residential buildings that have changed the way I see them. I always assumed balconies would muddle up the skyline for some reason.

I will say one thing, someone had mentioned the other day how dark our skyline is and that it's really kind of lacking a visually interesting appearance at night, but I think that's mostly a consequence of having so many residential towers. Office buildings don't have any incentive to be dark at night. Their workers aren't stuffing a pillow over their head at their desk to block out the light from a neighboring tower. Residential buildings though, they have an incentive to not go crazy with their lighting since if they don't their neighbors won't either.
Yeah, I travel through Austin a lot at night. I'm always hoping for a light show when I'm traveling up Mopac, but am usually disappointed at how dark it is.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 7:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Even our office buildings tend to lack in showstopping lighting. The One Congress building has its lights back on, (for a time they were out) and it's one of our nicer lit buildings along with Frost Bank and 100 Congress. The rest really don't have anything to write home about in terms of lightning. I really hope the next wave of office towers changes that.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 5:55 PM

I've never seen this before so if this is a repost, my apologies.
https://youtu.be/Txog2IhQqDU

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
That is an awesome drone video. I posted screen caps from it on other forums, but not on SSP.

Here's one from memory lane. Way back in the Summer of '06 Kevin posted this skyline photo thread on SSC. Frost existed by then, but man did our skyline suck compared to 10 years later.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=388188

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:21 PM
Meh

Quote:
I haven't seen it. That's a really great video. I love the shots of the Capitol.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That is an awesome drone video. I posted screen caps from it on other forums, but not on SSP.

Here's one from memory lane. Way back in the Summer of '06 Kevin posted this skyline photo thread on SSC. Frost existed by then, but man did our skyline suck compared to 10 years later.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=388188
Nice pano! You were way ahead of the curve on that one, now that panos are so commonplace.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Nice video there Genral.

Here is another one that is good. It has lots of nice skyline shots and a really cool time lapse of The Fairmont going up.

https://youtu.be/atWAzMe1F1c

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 4:12 AM

I don't get to downtown often, much less at night, but I keep seeing posts about how dark it is with so many non or poorly lit towers. So how dark is it?? Oh, I see....

https://youtu.be/0H-jDjvFriE

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 4:13 AM

Quote:
I don't get to downtown often, much less at night, but I keep seeing posts about how dark it is with so many non or poorly lit towers. So how dark is it?? Oh, I see....

https://youtu.be/0H-jDjvFriE
I mean, part of this is due to Dark Skies. New buildings aren't allowed to be uplighted at night. So lighting can only come from somewhere internal in the bldg.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 4:48 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I mean, part of this is due to Dark Skies. New buildings aren't allowed to be uplighted at night. So lighting can only come from somewhere internal in the bldg.
If that is the case why is San Antonio's skyline more brightly lit including their new Frost Bank?

I don't think dark skies has much to do with not lighting the buildings. With LED as well as newer lighting options, buildings can still be lighted and lighted in a way that does not add to uplight pollution. Fact is several buildings DT already have lighting, they simply don't use it.

I'm not trying to sound harsh so forgive me if it comes off that way. I get what you are saying, however there seems to be a long standing lack of commitment when it comes to lighting buildings. This has been the case for decades, not really a new problem.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Mar 11, 2019 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
If that is the case why is San Antonio's skyline more brightly lit including their new Frost Bank?

I don't think dark skies has much to do with not lighting the buildings. With LED as well as newer lighting options, buildings can still be lighted and lighted in a way that does not add to uplight pollution. Fact is several buildings DT already have lighting, they simply don't use it.
Dark Skies is a designation given out to individual cities. As of last Summer the only three cities in Texas with Dark Skies status were Austin, Wimberley and Dripping Springs. San Antonio is apparently choosing to keep the lights on so to speak.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 5:16 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Dark Skies is a designation given out to individual cities. As of last Summer the only three cities in Texas with Dark Skies status were Austin, Wimberley and Dripping Springs. San Antonio is apparently choosing to keep the lights on so to speak.
I'm glad that we are doing what we can to reduce light pollution, but with a wide range of lighting technology, buildings can be lit without making an impact on sky light pollution. I'm just saying there are some other factors as well that play a part.

On a side note, seems like some of these developers that are rebuilding houses in my hood don't know or don't care about dark skies cause they are adding bright spot and flood lighting. Kind of annoying.. that and stupid rock yards...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 12:30 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

I'm not trying to sound harsh so forgive me if it comes off that way. I get what you are saying, however there seems to be a long standing lack of commitment when it comes to lighting buildings. This has been the case for decades, not really a new problem.
ATX’s point only hits on this in a roundabout way. The reason is because state and federal law says nothing on the matter (thereby nothing compels developers in San Antonio to behave in the same way as in Austin) and it is a topic handled only by city statute. San Antonio’s city statutes don’t include anything on the matter, whereas Austin’s do.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Last edited by wwmiv; Mar 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 9:11 PM
Meh

I don't know. That "dark skies" designation kind of seems like bunk to me as it seems arbitrary. I mean, I'm all for reducing light pollution where that's appropriate. For example, streetlights should shine down and out rather than upward. Lighting in parking lots should also be encouraged to shine downward and not up.

My neighborhood grocery store and the shopping center it occupies is one example of how not to do it. The middle of the parking lot is about 4,900 feet from my house, but the lights at night can be pretty intense when it's foggy. Even when it's not foggy, the sky has that weird purple hue to it.

Lights on high rises bother me less. It's really just the light pollution that is closer to the ground that bugs me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven
That must not apply here then because the Frost Bank Tower, for example, most certainly does have lights that shine up. And then there's the spire on the Fairmont Hotel. On cloudy nights those two, in particular, leave some strange light impressions on the clouds above them.

I mean, look at this thing.

Rock Studios - https://www.facebook.com/rockstudios...type=3&theater

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 2:37 AM
Meh

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:18 AM

Some of the prettiest views in the city, most of which are "protected" by the hideous State Parking Garage to the east... Still very pretty pictures. Colorado Tower looks particularly snazzy in a few of these.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 6:48 AM
World Traveler

I agree, these are some of the best shots from within downtown that I've seen in a while. Very different angles than the normal shots. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:24 PM

The photoshopping of the sky was so unnecessary....it makes the entire pic look fake like a shot from google earth.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 6:46 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
The photoshopping of the sky was so unnecessary....it makes the entire pic look fake like a shot from google earth.
Yeah, I noticed that. If you look at the horizon line there's some weird stuff happening with it.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a plateau east of Austin, for example. Look around the Frost Bank Tower in this one:

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...38&oe=5D087FF5

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin