HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
I think Cape Breton Island, Northern Ontario, and Vancouver Island are more likely to be their own provinces than the territories, at least in this century.
How so for Cape Breton Island? Nova Scotia is already a small province by Canadian standards. Is there a separatist movement that I'm not aware off?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 8:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
How so for Cape Breton Island? Nova Scotia is already a small province by Canadian standards. Is there a separatist movement that I'm not aware off?
Correct. It has less population than PEI which due to its smallness is already an anomaly as its own province.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Correct. It has less population than PEI which due to its smallness is already an anomaly as its own province.
I have tons of family on Cape Breton, and have never heard of any actual talk of separatism. Every few years, someone puts out a blog post talking about it, locals then laugh and promptly move on with their lives.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2023, 6:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
I have tons of family on Cape Breton, and have never heard of any actual talk of separatism. Every few years, someone puts out a blog post talking about it, locals then laugh and promptly move on with their lives.
I wonder if NS would become a "have" province if Cape Breton seceded. The unemployment rates for the economic regions of NS look like this (2020):

Cape Breton - 12.4
North Shore - 6.4
Annapolis Valley - 4.7 (!)
Southern - 8.9
Halifax - 7.1

I bet if you broke up the "southern" region you'd find a similar pattern where the more central part is relatively decent economically while the more remote part isn't doing as well.

When there was talk of CB secession in the past, people would often bring up how much equalization CB would qualify for on its own, and how it was forced to share that with NS. But I think NS typically spends disproportionate amounts of provincial money in CB anyway. NS even has a municipal equalization program which I think is just Halifax paying in and may mostly go to CBRM. Central NS is probably something like 80% of the province's GDP at this point.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 4:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I wonder if NS would become a "have" province if Cape Breton seceded. The unemployment rates for the economic regions of NS look like this (2020):

Cape Breton - 12.4
North Shore - 6.4
Southern - 8.9
Halifax - 7.1

I bet if you broke up the "southern" region you'd find a similar pattern where the more central part is relatively decent economically while the more remote part isn't doing as well.

When there was talk of CB secession in the past, people would often bring up how much equalization CB would qualify for on its own, and how it was forced to share that with NS. But I think NS typically spends disproportionate amounts of provincial money in CB anyway. NS even has a municipal equalization program which I think is just Halifax paying in and may mostly go to CBRM. Central NS is probably something like 80% of the province's GDP at this point.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 4:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Cape Breton - 12.4
North Shore - 6.4
Southern - 8.9
Halifax - 7.1

Here's a good idea.

Lets make all ~40 of Canada's CMAs into independent city states within the federation (perhaps excluding the 4-5 ones in financial extremis). They could essentially secede from their provinces and look after themselves.

The rural folk can be left to their own devices. They're all hillbilly retards and reform conservative types anyway..........

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 3:51 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's mostly the reason why I used Cape Breton as an example, because PEI exists lol.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 1:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Cape Breton is the West Virginia of Canada. Beautiful, but with long-failing, formerly coal-based economies.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 10:28 PM

Whitehorse city council ponders raising downtown building height limit to 12 storeys

Current 25-metre height restriction encourages sprawl, says Coun. Ted Laking

Katie Todd · CBC News · Posted: Feb 13, 2024 8:16 PM EST | Last Updated: February 13

Whitehorse developers could get the option to construct taller buildings — as high as 40 metres, or 12 storeys.

City council has turned its eye to the sky to debate the maximum building height in the downtown core.

The limit, which it updated last year, is 25 metres. And that rule has some lenience, with council having the option to approve buildings up to 30 metres high in some instances.

At a city council meeting Monday night, Coun. Ted Laking pushed for the change as a way to keep step with the Yukon's surging population...[snip]

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...tion-1.7114149

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 1:14 AM
Mooderator

'Surging population'?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 7:45 PM
Rational urbanist

Of all provinces and territories, in between the 2016 and 2021 censuses Yukon grew the fastest, at 12.1%. The Whitehorse CA grew even faster, at 13.1%, good for 8th fastest in Canada. Housing availability/affordability is a topic up there the same way as it is in BC and, with a land base as constrained as theirs, I'm surprised they haven't been allowing for more height downtown already.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 8:15 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Of all provinces and territories, in between the 2016 and 2021 censuses Yukon grew the fastest, at 12.1%. The Whitehorse CA grew even faster, at 13.1%, good for 8th fastest in Canada. Housing availability/affordability is a topic up there the same way as it is in BC and, with a land base as constrained as theirs, I'm surprised they haven't been allowing for more height downtown already.
13% in a town that size is not that much.

Media have been playing with percentages forever to fit a narrative.

A six storey condo with 300 units would likely fill it. I took issue with the word 'surge', which is sensational and not needed.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 9:10 PM

^ 13% growth that far north is extremely impressive.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 9:15 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
^ 13% growth that far north is extremely impressive.
Yeah, It is. It isn't a 'surge'. This is my point.

I guess surging in the north is not the same as in the south.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 3:26 AM
Rational urbanist

Yeah I'm sure you were aware that, statistically-speaking at least, Yukon and Whitehorse have been growing fast, but I thought the numbers would be interesting context still.

And I assumed that was your point cause for sure, 13% at those populations isn't actually very many people, but it's possible to argue from the other side too. For smaller places, that may not be used to growth, there are a lot of growing pains in accommodating those numbers when the overall system and economy isn't used to it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 2:44 PM

‘Everyone deserves a place to call home’

On land provided by the territory for $1, Yukon developers plan to build at least 300 housing units in the heart of downtown Whitehorse.

By Nancy Campbell on March 15, 2024

On land provided by the territory for $1, Yukon developers plan to build at least 300 housing units in the heart of downtown Whitehorse.

“This is a significant stride towards addressing the pressing need for better housing options, particularly in Whitehorse,” Premier Ranj Pillai told a news conference Thursday afternoon.

“Everyone deserves a place to call home.”

The 2.12-hectare brownfield site lies at Fifth Avenue and Rogers Street.

While it has a market value of $4 million to $5 million, the government estimates it would cost $14 million to get it ready for development... [snip]

https://www.whitehorsestar.com/News/...e-to-call-home

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 5:10 PM
Project manger

Not a fan of the design. I like the idea, It looks...messy even in the rendering.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 3:06 PM

https://www.prairiearchitects.ca/ran...inal-expansion

This is long over due. With the amount of traffic through there this will be a well used facility.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada