HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 12:21 AM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YegFan View Post
WS is a different story where they rely on YEG quite a bit.
"Rely" kind of implies that there is some WS service from YYC that would be in jeopardy without the feed from YEG. Based on the connecting numbers I see, I do not believe this to be the case.

YEG has no unique destinations to which WS does not also fly from YYC. There are three WS cities launching from YEG in the next few weeks that had fairly inbound contingent from YEG on the existing YYC services: ATL, BNA, and SFO. Obviously those three cities from YYC are not going anywhere and in fact have been bolstered for S24.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.yyc View Post
"Rely" kind of implies that there is some WS service from YYC that would be in jeopardy without the feed from YEG. Based on the connecting numbers I see, I do not believe this to be the case.

YEG has no unique destinations to which WS does not also fly from YYC. There are three WS cities launching from YEG in the next few weeks that had fairly inbound contingent from YEG on the existing YYC services: ATL, BNA, and SFO. Obviously those three cities from YYC are not going anywhere and in fact have been bolstered for S24.
SFO I understand is popular but YEG seemed to be served adequately nono-stop and there were/are also options via YVR and SEA so I'm surprised this would be a major destination connecting through YYC. BNA seems to be the flavor over the last couple of years of many Canadian airports. Again ATL surprises me a bit when we could connect through DEN, YYZ, LAX and YVR instead of YYC and ATL.

Acey if i'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that there were many connecting passengers to ATL, BNA and SFO from YEG ie. YEG-YYC-ATL? Do these destinations stand out quite a bit versus anything else like EWR/JFK, ORD, Florida, BOS? Are there any significant destinations in Canada that YEG passengers connect via YYC?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 1:36 AM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
SFO I understand is popular but YEG seemed to be served adequately nono-stop and there were/are also options via YVR and SEA so I'm surprised this would be a major destination connecting through YYC. BNA seems to be the flavor over the last couple of years of many Canadian airports. Again ATL surprises me a bit when we could connect through DEN, YYZ, LAX and YVR instead of YYC and ATL.

Acey if i'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that there were many connecting passengers to ATL, BNA and SFO from YEG ie. YEG-YYC-ATL? Do these destinations stand out quite a bit versus anything else like EWR/JFK, ORD, Florida, BOS? Are there any significant destinations in Canada that YEG passengers connect via YYC?
I'm saying that there are no numbers to really support the notion that any of YYC's services "rely" on YEG because a good chunk of those services either already exist nonstop from YEG, or are launching nonstop from YEG with no subsequent reduction in said service from YYC.

The current Jazz YEG-SFO service is massively fueled by onward cnx at SFO. I haven't seen incredibly recent numbers for it but I have no reason to believe that has changed. There is good reason that even through AC's backhanding of Alberta as an entity, the SFO RJ is still trucking along.

YEG-DEN loads on new UA service are looking solid, as are bookings summer. UA has to be happy with this... hopefully happy enough to launch ORD.

Quote:
Are there any significant destinations in Canada that YEG passengers connect via YYC?
Not massively so. There's some weird spikes on those random days where flights out of YEG have shit timing or just don't exist. I do think people are underestimating the number of YEG originators that connect transborder and domestically at YYZ, however. Like... more than YYC.

You're right, there's not a ton of people flying YEG-YYC-ATL-JAX/TPA/SAV/CLT/PBI or whatever the case may be. They go through the new MSP, DEN, or YYZ generally... but the YYC number is not insignificant.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 5:59 PM

I have seen many connections to YEG off the LHR flights for AC and likely similar for WS. Could they survive without YEG? Possibly but I’m sure the feed helps.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
I have seen many connections to YEG off the LHR flights for AC and likely similar for WS. Could they survive without YEG? Possibly but I’m sure the feed helps.
For sure but I think the point being made is that the YYC flights don't rely on YEG connections to stay viable.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 5:17 PM
Scam Artist

Again, they did all of the following things at roughly the same time.

Launch YEG-SFO
Launch YEG-ATL
Launch YEG-BNA

Boost YYC-SFO
Boost YYC-ATL
Boost YYC-BNA

These services from YYC "possibly" needing YEG feed to survive seems to not correlate with what's actually happening here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
I have seen many connections to YEG off the LHR flights for AC and likely similar for WS.
For WS19 LHR-YYC, onward to YVR beats YEG most days. The other WestJet Europes skew even further in favour of YVR. But this is just a dead horse at this point.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 11:51 PM

I understand the WestJet CEO was in Edmonton today and got an Oilers Jersey.

Anything of airline interest revealed today?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post

Maybe he just came for the oilers jersey

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 3:56 AM

No new flights were announced.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
No new flights were announced.
But he spoke very nicely about the city.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post

Not much as far as new service. He spent half of his presentation talking about the new WS culture/model and business philosophy and the other half about their current offering at YEG.

Nothing significant. But this community/forum is more knowledgeable in general. Perhaps those in attendance found the information more interesting.

I would summarize it into this:

- WS wants to focus on western Canada and Edmonton is a major centre in this part of the country, so it will always benefit to a degree from WS expansion

- They would like to expand faster but they are held up by Boeing and their problems. Mostly delivery of aircraft related problems.

- they are also held up by lack of trained pilots.

- WS will trial new routes in the future and assess success.

- Once Encore is fully operational (right now 50% of their aircraft are parked), then YEG should see increased frequencies.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:19 AM

"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:54 AM

^That website has some great old footage from Edmonton, Calgary, Rocky Mountains, etc. Even some footage from YYZ (BA VC-10). Thanks for the link.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:27 PM

Quote:
^That website has some great old footage from Edmonton, Calgary, Rocky Mountains, etc. Even some footage from YYZ (BA VC-10). Thanks for the link.
I remember flying CP on that route , without Ft Nelson but GP on it, during my first trip to the Yukon. back in the 80s.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
Oh man do I miss the original layout of the terminal. The building had cohesion back then before the alterations set in.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton