HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Hi all,

MLB owners has been approved for Oakland Athletics to relocation to Las Vegas. Look like they find a new temporary home in Salt Lake City. Once the new stadium is built and they will be ready for 2028 seasons. Once the construction is completed. They will be in Las Vegas Stadium in 2028 regular seasons.

https://www.deseret.com/2023/11/17/2...faVNTu2_2uWgv4
It certainly isn't a done deal they temporatily play in SLC. In fact, I doubt it happens at all.

This does push forward expansion, hopefully, however.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
It certainly isn't a done deal they temporatily play in SLC. In fact, I doubt it happens at all.

This does push forward expansion, hopefully, however.
It’s good clickbait but considering the owner of the Bees park is quoted in the article as wanting to move on from the existing facility sooner than later, it feels like nothing more than far fetched dream. A few exhibition games in the Bees new park could be realistic. Vegas has a AAA park, they’ll likely play there.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 8:26 PM

I really hope the Olympics coming to SLC is an impetus to get an NHL arena built. Hopefully downtown! I know I've read in the past that SLC plans to just use the same facilities that already exist, but the DC sucks for hockey!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 9:18 PM
Space Magi

Tbh if getting an NHL team means that the Jazz will move from downtown, I'd rather us not get an NHL team.

If it does happen, and unless they can retrofit or replace the Delta Center in-place, the best we can hope for is that they build the new arena for the Jazz/NHL in the Power District near the MLB Stadium. That's at least better than it going to Draper.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 1:20 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Tbh if getting an NHL team means that the Jazz will move from downtown, I'd rather us not get an NHL team.

If it does happen, and unless they can retrofit or replace the Delta Center in-place, the best we can hope for is that they build the new arena for the Jazz/NHL in the Power District near the MLB Stadium. That's at least better than it going to Draper.
Yup. I am over the nHL knowing that it will likely speed up the Jazz relocating out of downtown.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I really hope the Olympics coming to SLC is an impetus to get an NHL arena built. Hopefully downtown! I know I've read in the past that SLC plans to just use the same facilities that already exist, but the DC sucks for hockey!
Sure is! Winter Olympics 2034 is coming to Salt Lake City for next decade later. Here’s a links:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00064379181637

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Yup. I am over the nHL knowing that it will likely speed up the Jazz relocating out of downtown.
First post. Wasn't the plan to build an arena at the old power plant site near the proposed MLB stadium? That would be a good location.

The Olympics will certainly get the ball rolling on a new arena. DC is terrible for ice sports and will be approaching 40 when the games come to town. You could build a nice new shared arena in the parking lot across from KSL, if you really want it downtown. Having an MLB stadium and NBA/NHL arena as the anchors for a new entertainment district at the Rocky Mountain Power site would be nice though.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 5:38 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaseTheAce View Post
First post. Wasn't the plan to build an arena at the old power plant site near the proposed MLB stadium? That would be a good location.

The Olympics will certainly get the ball rolling on a new arena. DC is terrible for ice sports and will be approaching 40 when the games come to town. You could build a nice new shared arena in the parking lot across from KSL, if you really want it downtown. Having an MLB stadium and NBA/NHL arena as the anchors for a new entertainment district at the Rocky Mountain Power site would be nice though.
Welcome to the forum, JaseTheAce!

I agree with this. Pipe dream would be for the LDS church and the DC to agree to a land swap so that a new arena could be built on the big parking lot next door. The church would get the DC site.

However, I think the likely landing spots are the Power District and The Point. Very much hoping for the former.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Agreed, the size of a figure skating rink is about the same as an NHL rink so the Delta Center will be a poor venue for that, although it was used in 2002. Next best option is the Maverik Center which will be used again, but they may try to push for a new arena designed for hockey first. Denver's Ball Arena, for example, takes up 4.6 acres. Smith's Ballpark is 13 acres. You don't need much space to fit a new arena; below is the Ball Arena superimposed on the courthouse surface parking lot.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 6:36 AM
They all float down here

Let's be honest, guys. There's two options:

The Delta Center

or a suburban arena.

If a new arena is built, which I agree is likely with the Olympics, it isn't going to be built in Salt Lake City. Ryan Smith seems to have zero interest in the capital city. I have no faith Salt Lake will be able to keep the Jazz.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Let's be honest, guys. There's two options:

The Delta Center

or a suburban arena.

If a new arena is built, which I agree is likely with the Olympics, it isn't going to be built in Salt Lake City. Ryan Smith seems to have zero interest in the capital city. I have no faith Salt Lake will be able to keep the Jazz.
Is there evidence for that? Sure land can be cheaper out in the burbs but a venue like this will need transit access. At the RM Power site and anywhere downtown, you have great transit access.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 5:46 PM
NIMBY Hater

Interestingly, I've heard that parking lot bounded by 400/500 S and W Temple/Main could in play along with the Sheraton to the west. Nothing definitive, so I will have nothing to add if you ask for more details.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 6:34 PM
Space Magi

big, if true. Block 40 would be an excellent, catalytic spot for an NHL/Jazz arena or a museum with some highrises.

Imagine something like this or this in that spot.

But it would also open the question of what to do with the Delta Center land, and how that would impact the Gateway.

Last edited by Atlas; Dec 4, 2023 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
big, if true. Block 40 would be an excellent, catalytic spot for an NHL/Jazz arena or a museum with some highrises.

Imagine something like this or this in that spot.

But it would also open the question of what to do with the Delta Center land, and how that would impact the Gateway.
That courthouse parking lot would be an amazing location, as mentioned with the Sheraton taking up an entire block across the street, you could buy that as well and create a more urban recreation area like Milwaukee did with their Deer District next to their new arena; create another mini Gateway-style area with restaurants, bars, shops, etc... some place that's more connected to the arena. You connect the Sheraton block with the arena block and cut off W Temple to car traffic in that one block to create a pedestrian plaza. There's already TRAX in that spot, and 2 stations, 1 block to the north and south, for mass transit access. I see plenty of surface lots in the area that can be converted to garages for parking. Plus, now you have the Grand America literally across the street which is the preferred hotel for visiting teams coming to play the Jazz.

With the current Delta Center land you've also got the huge parking lot across the street that you won't need anymore; talk about two prime spots (and valuable) for some more high-rise residential and a hotel (another CC hotel) plus walkable, street-engaged retail, restaurants and entertainment to complement the Gateway.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 12:38 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Is there evidence for that? Sure land can be cheaper out in the burbs but a venue like this will need transit access. At the RM Power site and anywhere downtown, you have great transit access.
Just the rhetoric over the last year or so. His tone just reads to me that he's not interested in keeping them downtown. Everything to do with his business is outside the city.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 3:59 PM

From what I have heard, he and Salt Lake City don't get along.
I hope I am wrong and that block 40 is a consideration because that Location would be excellent.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 5:07 PM
NIMBY Hater

I want to reiterate I've got mixed feelings about the reliability of this info. And the context in which I heard it was not a discussion about sports venues. Take it with a grain of salt.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 11:19 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
From what I have heard, he and Salt Lake City don't get along.
I hope I am wrong and that block 40 is a consideration because that Location would be excellent.
And I'm not sure why he'd not get along with Salt Lake.

But it tracks.

As is pretty known, I am not a huge fan of Erin Mendenhall. But what he kinda did to her over the MLB deal really rubbed me the wrong way. She was looking to partner the city with him to bring a MLB team to Salt Lake and met with him once to discuss plans and then he flat-out ghosted her. Refused to return calls on any of their discussions and that's when the Millers entered the picture.

The reality is that I would actually be floored if the Jazz chose to remain downtown.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 2:56 PM

Quote:
And I'm not sure why he'd not get along with Salt Lake.

But it tracks.

As is pretty known, I am not a huge fan of Erin Mendenhall. But what he kinda did to her over the MLB deal really rubbed me the wrong way. She was looking to partner the city with him to bring a MLB team to Salt Lake and met with him once to discuss plans and then he flat-out ghosted her. Refused to return calls on any of their discussions and that's when the Millers entered the picture.

The reality is that I would actually be floored if the Jazz chose to remain downtown.
That's unprofessional but to be honest, Smith doesn't have the money to own a NBA team, MLS team and possibly both a MLB and NHL team. Besides, a MLB stadium doesn't help him in the slightest when he can own a NHL team and have them use the same venue as the Jazz. I can't see the Jazz leaving SLC because suburban arenas have a terrible track record. You can make it work with an NFL stadium but most major league teams need to be in a downtown.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 3:29 PM
Space Magi

One comment I see a lot from people in southern SL County and Utah County is that "The Point" would be a "central location" for MLB/NFL/NHL, and therefore makes more sense than SLC.

It's like they forget that Weber County, Davis County, Tooele County, and Park City (pop. ~715k combined) exist.

Downtown is the central location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West