HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mPhilly View Post
I jog down that dock as part of my routine run... it is packed now, I was dodging people left and right. I know it's good for the city but man do I hate it now. Guess I have to change my route. The actual garden does look nice. Maybe next time I head down it'll have to be for a beer instead of a jog.
Sorry the path is blocked. Rode my bike down Saturday afternoon and is the most interesting thing I have seen there in all my years.

Me thinks a beer garden barge between Market and Walnut would be great on the other river as well.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:05 PM

ditto kiddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
I love this picture.
That's funny you said that Philly-Drew. I thought the exact same thing. Although, I more precisely thought, that's the nicest photo of 2116 Chestnut! Great Photo Summer!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Tower crane fully up at AQ Rittenhouse

P.S. ^^^Here's the pic!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:21 PM

2116 looks so prominently awful there. The tower is nice. The base is meh. The two together is like a mismatched marriage made in hell. Sorry to hijack this thread but this picture really highlights what is wrong with this building's design.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
Sorry the path is blocked. Rode my bike down Saturday afternoon and is the most interesting thing I have seen there in all my years.

Me thinks a beer garden barge between Market and Walnut would be great on the other river as well.
I was thinking in the back of the Market Place Design Center. The part that faces Chestnut, there is a space between the building and the street. I'm wondering if a new 3 or 4 story retail space can be built here for a bar/restaurant with balconies and a rooftop beer garden. This would have awesome views of both the River and the Skyline and I think it would be a huge success.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
P.S. ^^^Here's the pic!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
2116 looks so prominently awful there. The tower is nice. The base is meh. The two together is like a mismatched marriage made in hell. Sorry to hijack this thread but this picture really highlights what is wrong with this building's design.
The side that faces 22nd Street is pretty bad. Wish they would've at least cladded this is brick or a Ivy Wall or something.

The back of the building that faces Sansom however, has a dirt lot behind it that is meant to have a new Sydney Hillman Medical Center on it. I wonder if they're still planning this or if they'll build some new rowhomes/townhomes facing Sansom.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:51 PM

You're Welcome!

Quote:
Thanks!

The side that faces 22nd Street is pretty bad. Wish they would've at least cladded this is brick or a Ivy Wall or something.

The back of the building that faces Sansom however, has a dirt lot behind it that is meant to have a new Sydney Hillman Medical Center on it. I wonder if they're still planning this or if they'll build some new rowhomes/townhomes facing Sansom.
That's too bad. I only saw the high rise coming up I-76. It blends nicely into the skyline. Actually better that I thought. Yes, McBane is right, the base does look meh. Fortunately you can't really see it from the distance of 76. I am glad that they went with the "balcony" design. The original rendering (without the balconies really looked cheesy, or meh.) Townhomes would be a nice addition to that area, but I haven't seen any renderings of the Medical Center, so I can't really say which way would be better.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
That's too bad. I only saw the high rise coming up I-76. It blends nicely into the skyline. Actually better that I thought. Yes, McBane is right, the base does look meh. Fortunately you can't really see it from the distance of 76. I am glad that they went with the "balcony" design. The original rendering (without the balconies really looked cheesy, or meh.) Townhomes would be a nice addition to that area, but I haven't seen any renderings of the Medical Center, so I can't really say which way would be better.
Well the base of the tower that faces Chestnut and Van Pelt streets is very nice and very well done, which is good, because this is the most important part of the base and really all that matters.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 7:54 PM

This isn't development news per se, but I think it's relevant. I always cringe a little bit with the Rocky statue...; and this is soo overdue, a statue for a real Philly legend.

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-le...10-feet-badass

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks native View Post
Spruce Street Harbor Parks are the future; industrial uses and highways are the past. Unfortunately, the news has yet to reach Planet PennDOT, where there's still a ridiculous plan in the works to widen I-95 by 60 feet in the Central Delaware area near Spruce, Race, and Washington - right in the area where the city's been fighting an uphill battle to reconnect the waterfront to the urban street grid.

This is insane. If PennDOT wants to burn through cash on "busy work" fix the ridiculous nonsense that is South Philadelphia's I-76. You have to get off on 26th Street to connect to I-95 or drive 20 minutes around your butt to get to your elbow near Front? And to connect from 76 from Front Street, you have to take Packer halfway across South Philly to Broad Street, and once you get there you're playing a game of 80MPH bumper cars. All of the "reasons" PennDOT wants to address I-95 exist ten fold on 76, not to mention the a$$ ache the Stadium District creates at the WW bridge.

I'd say they're morons but they know what they're doing. I-95 is the easiest way to burn through money and look busy. It's like PennDOT hired a pool of temps to plan in Philadelphia. Unless they're hiding something structurally unsafe about I-95.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
This isn't development news per se, but I think it's relevant. I always cringe a little bit with the Rocky statue...; and this is soo overdue, a statue for a real Philly legend.

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-le...10-feet-badass
Love it! Now I hope the Sports Complex gets built up with entertainment and shopping complexes, residential buildings, office buildings and hotels and they make it a 24/7 destination outside of sports and concerts.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Love it! Now I hope the Sports Complex gets built up with entertainment and shopping complexes, residential buildings, office buildings and hotels and they make it a 24/7 destination outside of sports and concerts.
Love the Joe Frazier statue! I hope it's as bad *** as the Joe Louis one in Detroit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_Joe_Louis

I'm still hoping for the Stadium District to recognize its potential. Residential, office, and retail tenants might force PennDOT to address I-76 and a few mid rises and high-rises would make the approach to the city look amazing.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
This is insane. If PennDOT wants to burn through cash on "busy work" fix the ridiculous nonsense that is South Philadelphia's I-76. You have to get off on 26th Street to connect to I-95 or drive 20 minutes around your butt to get to your elbow near Front? And to connect from 76 from Front Street, you have to take Packer halfway across South Philly to Broad Street, and once you get there you're playing a game of 80MPH bumper cars. All of the "reasons" PennDOT wants to address I-95 exist ten fold on 76, not to mention the a$$ ache the Stadium District creates at the WW bridge.

I'd say they're morons but they know what they're doing. I-95 is the easiest way to burn through money and look busy. It's like PennDOT hired a pool of temps to plan in Philadelphia. Unless they're hiding something structurally unsafe about I-95.
HAVE YOU WATCHED THE NEWS? HISTORY CHANNEL? I-95 is one big bridge that is treated like a road on ground. At parts in the History Channel special showed cracks and crumbled concrete on the ground. I-76 seems to be a little better than I-95. ill look for the show if i find it ill post it.

Can find the full doc. but found the intro. http://youtu.be/zBSPcIGGcIc

Last edited by Stg4100; Jul 1, 2014 at 4:26 AM. Reason: yupp

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post

I think the structurally unsafe part is the key, but they're not really hiding it. I-95 is in disrepair. I-76 has tons of issues with interchanges (or lack thereof), but is in better shape (which doesn't take much).

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 2:55 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

At least a large portion of I-95 is currently being worked on. Hopefully that will strengthen large portions of it and make it easier to navigate in those areas.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 4:30 PM

As Brandywine Realty redefines the Philly skyline, this one in little old Wilmington has been on hold for about 8 years ... no tenants still

Feel free to take a stroll thru Wilmington on my flickr (if you're bored)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125694656@N07/

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stg4100 View Post
HAVE YOU WATCHED THE NEWS? HISTORY CHANNEL? I-95 is one big bridge that is treated like a road on ground. At parts in the History Channel special showed cracks and crumbled concrete on the ground. I-76 seems to be a little better than I-95. ill look for the show if i find it ill post it.

Can find the full doc. but found the intro. http://youtu.be/zBSPcIGGcIc
I do remember hearing something about a cracked column a few years ago. I've avoided the History Channel since they started Ancient Aliens.

PennDOT mainly focused on the width of the lanes (no pull off, etc.), not the structural integrity of the bridge. I don't doubt it's unsafe. But I-76, particularly south of University City is much narrower and daunting to drive than I-95 South. I'm only saying that because that is PennDOT's official reasoning for addressing I-95 at this time.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 3:40 PM

Steel up at AQ Rittenhouse.

Thanks to Lincolndrive for the update

http://buildingphilly.com/aq-rittenhouse-07032014/

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 9:22 PM

^That was fast!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 2:14 AM

The Community Design Collaborative will work with the CAPA Home and School Association. We’ll help them discover how the Philadelphia High School for Creative and Performing Arts can transform its open space into an asset that enhances CAPA’s identity and connects it to the Avenue of the Arts, the surrounding neighborhood, and Philadelphia as a whole.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development