HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Sorry
Haha, no need for an apology.

I purposely weasel worded my earlier post because I didn't know whether DL had actually stopped service. I remember checking the arrivals and departures part of waa.ca during the slowest travel days out of morbid curiosity and I recall several days without DL service, but I wasn't sure if it was just reduced to less than daily service or stopped altogether, so thanks for setting me straight.

In any event, I hope they keep their YWG-MSP going. Having another option helps to keep AC honest.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post

Headlines scream "record number of new cases today"... but in reality less and less of them are serious or fatal. ICU beds and ventilators are widely available.
The death rate in Arizona right now is 2.4% which is right in line with what it has been all along, about 10 times the rate of the seasonal flu.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
The death rate in Arizona right now is 2.4% which is right in line with what it has been all along, about 10 times the rate of the seasonal flu.
The overall average will take a while to come down as mass testing increases, but to look at the stats from yesterday alone..

Arizona quotes 3056 new cases Wednesday with 27 new deaths (with disclaimer that not all deaths were Wednesday).

At face value this is 0.88% death rate... which is approximately the chances of being killed in a car crash.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 7:26 PM

Quote:
At face value this is 0.88% death rate... which is approximately the chances of being killed in a car crash.
Buckle up, the death toll will rise substantially. Deaths come weeks to a month later in an infection. Many of the people who are diagnosed now will get sick, some much sicker, as the illness takes its toll. These southern states are in for big trouble.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 7:41 PM

Quote:
The overall average will take a while to come down as mass testing increases, but to look at the stats from yesterday alone..

Arizona quotes 3056 new cases Wednesday with 27 new deaths (with disclaimer that not all deaths were Wednesday).

But deaths are a lagging indicator. You don't get diagnosed with COVID and then die the same day. Generally an increase in deaths lags by about 3-4 weeks.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
But not everyone's going to get into a car crash. If this virus is allowed to spread and everyone gets it (or let's say, the 70% or so you need before you get protection from herd immunity)... that would mean like 6,500+ dead in Winnipeg alone.

I don't know how many die in car crashes, but I'm guessing that it's less than 100 a year in Winnipeg, since MPI advertises about "the 100" who will die provincewide.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:

I don’t think this is anywhere near an apt comparison. Also not sure how many disasters it takes for people to realize this is bad. It’s bad, it’s a blood disease, could cause long term health effects. It’s bad for old and young. Just ask any actual experts, not just armchair. Look at New York trends, deaths just started to climb when they hit 10,000 new cases per day and peaked 10 days later. Same thing in China, Italy, uk, ....... why some don’t see the pattern I don’t understand. Also excess deaths still haven’t been tallied. So not much sense in finalizing rates until it’s over. .3% of New York City died, with serological testing showing less than 15% infected.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 7:04 PM

Somewhat luckily YWG escaped with only losing the YWG-YQR route in the massive AC network overhaul today.

The also are projecting the airline industry will need 3 years to recover.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 7:52 PM

^ Not the first time that's happened IIRC, I think for a while a few years back we lost air connections with YQR/YXE on AC. Mind you it's not like AC had a lot of routes here to trim in the first place.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:13 PM

Interesting passenger count factoids in this article about WAA's latest quarter:

Quote:
Winnipeg’s James Richardson International Airport was hit hard during the second quarter as air passenger traffic plunged 95 percent amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Winnipeg Airports Authority on Tuesday said fewer than 56,000 travellers moved through the air terminal during the second quarter of this year, compared to 1.1 million passengers over the same period in 2019.

On April 11, for example, only 59 passengers departed from Winnipeg.
https://www.chrisd.ca/2020/07/28/win...enger-traffic/

The WAA added that any non-essential capital projects are now on hold.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 7:34 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Somewhat luckily YWG escaped with only losing the YWG-YQR route in the massive AC network overhaul today.

The also are projecting the airline industry will need 3 years to recover.
Probably less reliant on business travel than many other cities, so more likely to recover to something close to previous levels.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 6:02 AM
Back from the dead

In a way, I'm surprised airports didn't simply shut down altogether. I guess they can't really go out of business exactly but for all intents and purposes they might as well have been shut down.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
In a way, I'm surprised airports didn't simply shut down altogether. I guess they can't really go out of business exactly but for all intents and purposes they might as well have been shut down.
Ours tried too because the WAA is basically bankrupt but I think Transport Canada said you can’t shut down and have to have it open for emergency situations and at least a couple flights going.
I think Calm Air was the busiest airline at one point.

So with YWG now at 38$ for Airport Improvement Fee has anyone else in Canada raised theirs??

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 2:03 PM

I would think northern air traffic would be steady. The company I work for sends a bunch of people to Churchill every week. Flights there are down to 2 a week, but apparently are going up to 4 a week in August.

I'm sure hydro sends a plane load a day to Gillam still. So much of northern traffic is business or medical.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:00 PM

It would be interesting to consider what happened if an airport authority did actually go bankrupt... I'm assuming that if all else failed, the feds would step in to keep it operating. Even when the airport is down to extremely small numbers the way it was back in April, it's still essential to keep the lights on. (Otherwise all of those NHL memes about Winnipeg not having an airport would actually come true )

I would imagine that the possibility of any significant improvements to the airport like the rumoured terminal extensions have to be totally off the table now for at least the next decade. We went from having a somewhat cramped airport terminal to having a vastly oversized one, at least for the next few years...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:28 PM

It would be interesting to see month by month cargo traffic for say 2019 and 2020 to day for YWG. When the pandemic hit people started staying home more and it seems eCommerce may have spiked up significantly which should reflect increased air cargo traffic.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:44 PM

^ I can't remember which news article about the WAA's report mentioned it, but one of them said that cargo was doing really well and even received a bit of a bump from some massive PPE deliveries. So no concerns on that front.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 5:40 PM

Well, at least Transport Canada has been waiving lease fees since March. One less bill for the WAA to pay...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 8:11 PM

Good news from the Province

August 11, 2020

REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS ISSUED FOR WINNIPEG RICHARDSON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT PLANNING AREA

- - -

Study to be Conducted to Update Plans and Make Recommendations
Regarding the Planning Area: Ministers

The Manitoba government will invest in a review of existing land-use policies and update an aircraft noise study for the Winnipeg James A. Richardson International Airport, Municipal Relations Minister Rochelle Squires and Economic Development and Training Minister Ralph Eichler announced today.

“This is an important and long-overdue step forward for Manitoba’s largest airport and the area surrounding it,” said Squires. “The plan’s noise exposure forecast map, and the policies surrounding it, have not been updated for more than 25 years. The review of existing land-use policies, along with an updated noise exposure study, will ensure the Airport Vicinity Protection Area will appropriately reflect current conditions and noise thresholds in order to accommodate increased economic activity in the area while protecting the airport’s 24 hour operations.”

“We are reducing barriers to development and economic growth by ensuring that information for decision making is current, while reducing planning approval and permitting delays and protecting the airport’s 24 hour operations,” said Eichler. “Up-to-date, scientific data on noise in the vicinity of the airport is crucial to help guide decisions on the type and scale of development that can occur in the area while fostering the airport’s continued growth.”

The request for proposals (RFP) will engage external experts to complete a study that will recommend updates and changes to the Airport Vicinity Protection Area Secondary Plan (AVPA), enacted in 1994. This City of Winnipeg plan is a land-use document that aims to mitigate potential land-use conflicts associated with noise and other impacts generated by airport operations.

“WAA commends the Province of Manitoba for showing leadership and moving forward with a review of the AVPA,” said Barry Rempel, president and CEO, Winnipeg Airports Authority (WAA). “This review is an opportunity to chart a new course for our province that sees optimal use of existing infrastructure for further residential and mixed-use development while protecting the community’s air connectivity, all founded on best practice and the latest scientific evidence.”

The noise exposure forecast is the official measurement used in Canada for aircraft noise assessment. Transport Canada considers residential development incompatible with airport operations in areas that exceed specific noise thresholds.

The RFP has been posted to MERX at www.merx.com under an open tendering process.

- 30 -

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 8:58 PM

Good, maybe this is the groundwork for the Polo Park development plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan