HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 8:30 PM

Welp, we should all email the councillors to only approve this on the condition that the tower part actually be built, and that it be white like the rest of the building (or at least not straight concrete). Based on how slowly/poorly this thing has progressed, council should have good reason to not allow this phased approach, knowing phase 2 will likely never happen.

Can't just throw up a 5 level parkade at such a prominent intersection. IIRC it would go against the Corydon-Osborne Area Plan too.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 9:13 PM
There is always a way

Couldn't find the phased thing anywhere. Anyways, we shouldn't settle at that corner. I have a hard time believing that there wouldn't be demand for rentals at that location. They could probably build even more units and have no problem selling due to the proximity to major bus routes
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Couldn't find the phased thing anywhere. Anyways, we shouldn't settle at that corner. I have a hard time believing that there wouldn't be demand for rentals at that location. They could probably build even more units and have no problem selling due to the proximity to major bus routes
so many questions here. i mean, 134 parking stalls for 75 apartments? there's an impark lot a block north with 100 stalls that's almost completely empty. how do the economics of this make any sense? or is it that the half-built tower next door can't get leased without parking nearby?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
or is it that the half-built tower next door can't get leased without parking nearby?
^^^ That is likely the case... As for Phase 2 being divided into 2 phases itself, this was from the first board of adjustment hearing in 2018, the note at the bottom left explains it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
so many questions here. i mean, 134 parking stalls for 75 apartments? there's an impark lot a block north with 100 stalls that's almost completely empty. how do the economics of this make any sense? or is it that the half-built tower next door can't get leased without parking nearby?
This is a big part of it, but it actually makes sense to build a public parkade here for potential future development around Confusion Corner, Osborne Station etc. Also, most of those Impark lots will be developed in the next 18 months except the southernmost?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 9:20 PM

So I'm not the best at understanding the technical language in these documents, but it sounds like the current zoning for this property doesn't allow them to build the residential part of this building yet. Need to rezone from commercial to TOD, which has been recommended. So maybe they'd just build it all at once if they can get it rezoned?

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Last few links, goes to committee Friday.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 9:25 PM

The rezoning to TOD was approved.

"The building will include residential units, commercial areas for a restaurant and planned cooking school, and the city’s first robotic parking garage, along with bike parking.

"The bike stalls, the plaza space, the location next to the rapid transit line, the juxtaposition of the parkade and the rooftop is artful," Rollins said. "This is an example of growing up and out.""

Quote:
Transit-oriented development a first for the city

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ou....html#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:21 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

This is not the first robotic parking system in Winnipeg. There used to be one of the first in North America across from the Marlborough Hotel and was initially installed in April 1957.

https://imgur.com/a/RaxBYuM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 9:53 AM
Back from the dead

Just not a fan of this phase of the project. I mean, I like that it improves density and adds to the cityscape but it's just such an ugly throwback based on the renderings. It reminds me of this:

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 4:19 PM

Interesting that history is repeating itself with the automated parking system. The one at the Marlborough didn't last long before being replaced with a conventional parkade, but I suppose it's probably an understatement to say that the technology has likely evolved since 1957.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
This is not the first robotic parking system in Winnipeg. There used to be one of the first in North America across from the Marlborough Hotel and was initially installed in April 1957.
Nice find!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 9:52 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting that history is repeating itself with the automated parking system. The one at the Marlborough didn't last long before being replaced with a conventional parkade, but I suppose it's probably an understatement to say that the technology has likely evolved since 1957.
The technology is not without its problems. I almost recall a story I saw on CBS 2 New York in the past few months about one of the elevators failing and a lot of cars held hostage in it. Trying to find the original news item via DuckDuckGo but no results yet. Could have gone into the "memory hole". I'm not sure.

Another story about a robotic parkade in Mumbai India fails 5 yrs. after installation.

https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/24170189.cms

The idea is not new, as accrding to Wikipedia, dates back to 1905 in Paris.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...system#History

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 12:47 AM

I've been noticing the excavator parked in different places each time I've walked past here since the summer.

Not exactly humming with activity, but something has been happening here.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 2:18 PM
What could go wrong?

I have said this before, but I really wish they would complete the finishes on the first building. I hate the way the balcony area looks. Someone on here previously argued with be saying it is in fact complete, but there is no way it is. That galvanized looking steel frame can't be the balcony finish. There is no way that is code. The steel only acts as a upper and lower frame to the balcony railing. There is a 2-3 ft gap with nothing to protect from falling out. I believe in the original renders there is supposed to be a smoked glass covering the steel.

Maybe they will finish it when they get some tenants.

Found it:

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:04 PM

It looks like crap and I wouldn't believe it's complete.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:24 PM

No way it's complete but they probably don't have a dollar more to spend since they have no tenants (since they have no parking). City should step in and force their hand or revoke occupancy permits – just like when they made that building on Maryland redo the finishings to what was approved.

Also don't understand how they haven't/aren't building a fence separating the parking lot from the sidewalk and bike lane. It's completely open right now as one surface, it's very dangerous and certainly does not meet the code requirements for decorative fencing.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 4:35 PM

The other CRU (facing Confusion) is full, barbershop opening there soon.

Any updates on phase 2? The bobcat is still parked there.

Also - how the hell did they get a way with no putting a decorative fence up between the parking lot and sidewalk, it's fucking horrendous? They put parking curbs a long it which makes me think that's all they intend to do? There's also exit ramp-style medal "fence" along the lane portion. It's so awful.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 4:48 PM

Previously the money mart was there. So I dont think their property abutted the road. So would t have been part of their plan approval.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 8:39 PM

Watched a vehicle drive down the bike lane and pull in to that parking lot just the other day

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan