HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 2:57 PM
BANNED

Man if Zaha Hadid designed this thing...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 2:57 PM

Lucas' proposal for Crissy Field was historicist NOT because of restrictions in the Presidio, but because he likes it. If you look at the two competing proposals for that location (also denied), they were MUCH more forward looking.

George Lucas likes classicism in architecture and he most likely will pursue that in the design here.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 3:28 PM

The bigger question that I havent really seen addressed is, whats the larger cultural significance of this collection? I understand he has some Rockwells (bleh) and apparently a lot of movie posters. And MAD Magazine prints?? Are people going to hold a Chewbacca costume in the same esteem as ancient Greek works of art in 50-100 years? As big as SW was, its still pop culture ephemera which while important to cinema history, probably is going to lose a lot of significance as die-hards die off. It all seems very kitschy and overly commercial. More Navy Pier and less Art Institute.
I realize this makes me sound like a giant snob and maybe I am but the concept just strikes me as an oversized monument to his own oversized ego.

(ok ill stop pissing on the bonfire...at least until the renderings come out. im with Woodrow and not getting my hopes up on the design)

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jun 25, 2014 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
The bigger question that I havent really seen addressed is, whats the larger cultural significance of this collection? I understand he has some Rockwells (bleh) and apparently a lot of movie posters. And MAD Magazine prints?? Are people going to hold a Chewbacca costume in the same esteem as ancient Greek works of art in 50-100 years? As big as SW was, its still pop culture ephemera which while important to cinema history, probably is going to lose a lot of significance as die-hards die off. It all seems very kitschy and overly commercial. It all sounds much more Navy Pier and much less Art Institute.
You seriously need to watch the overview video. The guy is a big art collector - the entire point of the museum is to highlight storytelling through the visual arts. He also has pieces by NC Wyeth, Parrish, Rackham, etc. His collection goes back a few hundred years, not just Norman Rockwell and Mad Magazine shit.

Quote:
The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art will be a gathering place to experience narrative art and the evolution of moving images – from illustration to cinema to the digital mediums of the future. The museum’s seed collection – a gift from founder George Lucas – spans a century-and-a-half and features the images and the mediums that have profoundly shaped our cultural heritage. The foundational collection will continue to grow and evolve as the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art acquires more works.
There will also be an education aspect to this if you watch the video. He gets to the point of classes and education about digital art and computer animation, and probably special effects type of stuff. While the guy is famous for Star Wars, the stuff he's done with ILM is much broader reaching into numerous movies, and helped influence a lot of other stuff with art and other movies. I'm actually excited for the costume and set design portion, which I think is underappreciated in all of this.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
the entire point of the museum is to highlight storytelling through the visual arts.
in fairness, thats the point of any art museum

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Partially - though most art museums' point is more general I think. In any case, this is showcasing a lot more. It's expanding visual arts into a huge category of special effects, 3d animation, digital art, set/costume design, etc. Show me another museum which has a massive focus like this directly from someone who came up with a lot of stuff that people use.

IMO, this is the type of thing that would be a popular exhibit at the MSI, but this is much larger and broader than what the MSI may do with it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:08 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Lucas' proposal for Crissy Field was historicist NOT because of restrictions in the Presidio, but because he likes it. If you look at the two competing proposals for that location (also denied), they were MUCH more forward looking.

George Lucas likes classicism in architecture and he most likely will pursue that in the design here.

I am also also actually very nervous about George Lucas' overall aesthetic taste level. I fear it's very.....shall we say....challenged. Apart from my inkling about his taste in real world architecture, just think back to the Star Wars universe - much of the design in it as clumsy at best - even compare to the other huge space fiction franchise - design in the Star Trek world in general was on a much higher plane - light years apart really (note: this is not taking a side in some sort of adolescent fanboy throwdown - this is simple straightforward even-handed assesment of the relative design standards). Hopefully there is some sort of pressure put on him to commission a piece of high design worthy of Chicago and its specific high profile siting....not sure where such pressure might come from, however. Rahm doesn't give two shits about real architecture and design (or even is able to recognize it for that matter).........I have this awful feeling Lucas is going to push for some neo classical bullshit ("look, the 'style' I like even fits right in with and 'compliments' the traditional muesums in the campus", etc etc).....someone needs to step in and provide an intervention right now, so we can head off such a disaster.....for all that flak that the rube horde and (for some odd reason) Blair Kamin give Soldier Field, I'm worried that this could actually end up being the real 'mistake by the lake' design-wise....hopefully proven unfounded, yet I do worry on this one....

Additionally, I share Via Chicago's concerns re the overall concept and how the themes come together and such. Right now, it does to an extent feel like a showcase for random things George Lucas is into (and because of his wealth, was able to collect over the years). He really needs a very prominent and acomplished museum/visual presentation/placemaking expert that can lay it all out into a presentation that is thematically cohesive to an extent, and flows together from one genre into the next. Obviously the actual design of the building is an important part of this as well.....

And, yes I'm definitely excited for the location itself, as well as the economic - and potentially cultural - benefits this will bring to Chicago.....

Finally, for some reason (may have something to do with the selection of Chicago for the Lucas museum, but also there's something more to it I think), I'm becoming more excited and maybe even optimistic for an Obama library location at Michael Reese. Previously I thought it absolutely should and would be located on or adjacent to U of C. Now, I'm not as certain, as there is a lot that is appealing about Michael Reese/near south side/bronzeville close to the lakefront and downtown.......

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Jun 25, 2014 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I have this awful feeling Lucas is going to push for some neo classical bullshit ("look, it fits right in with the traditional muesums in the campus", etc etc).
Sounds about right.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Sounds about right.
Well, you have to keep the context in a way..maybe? There will be many people talking about this. It would be cool to come up with a design that is kind of state of the art and fits in with the campus. I guess it helps that Soldier Field is more geared towards that than something like the Field Museum.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:

I can't speak to what George Lucas prefers but I have worked in the Presidio. There are various restrictions both formally written and bureaucratically engineered which would force any serious proposal to take that final design.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:36 PM

George Lucas Museum

George Lucas Museum
I grew up in South Chicago next to South Works and now live in Woodacre. Woodacre is minutes from George's home in San Anselmo. Over the years, George has made many contributions to San Anselmo and Marin County. He build a park in San Anselmo, buried power lines, landscaped empty lots with Redwood trees and native plants all at his expense. His offices at Skywalker Ranch along Lucas Valley Road in San Rafael are spectacular. He wanted to do more but was turned down by local groups. Words that describe George and his work/contributions are generosity, class and craftsmanship. George's decision is a lost for the Bay Area and a huge gain for Chicago. I am sad that the Bay Area will not see a spectacular dynamic museum but am happy that my home town is the winner. Based on what George has done for the Bay Area, I know Chicago will be proud of the new museum when completed.
Tony

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:42 PM

@schwerve - Actually no. At least not at Crissy Field site. There were size and height restrictions in the contest, but that is it. Look at the two other entries -

http://www.archdaily.com/430615/san-...sals-released/

In any case, a neo-classic design isn't necessarily a bad thing - if it is better than the Crissy Field entry, which was far too heavy handed. Or how about an architect like John Ronan or Williams Tsien. Heck, even Meier. I would love a crisp, taut design, that would acknowledge the location - classic to the north, high modern to the south, freeway to the west, and water to the east. Exciting really.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:54 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Speaking of museums and stuff, HOK unveiled their renderings for the Obama Library which puts it south of 55/Lakeside Center in Bronzeville

Cool renders but I'm hoping for a Washington Park location near Garfield and the Greenline.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:55 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
@schwerve - Actually no. At least not at Crissy Field site. There were size and height restrictions in the contest, but that is it. Look at the two other entries -

In any case, a neo-classic design isn't necessarily a bad thing .

If this were 1895, I might be tempted to agree with you (I stress might.........actually, I take it back - I would have said "this is douche design, good sir - why haven't you hired Mr. Sullivan!!). However, this is 2014....we've moved on....there are no more excuses for it...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:55 PM

Quote:

There's a reason for only formal size and height restrictions, the various stakeholders can't really get on the same page about what's acceptable. So while there might not appear to be much in terms of guidelines, there's also a reason he abandoned the site altogether.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, there's a ton of storytelling going on in a Jackson Pollack or Barnett Newman. Clearly all art is about storytelling...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Oh yeah, there's a ton of storytelling going on in a Jackson Pollack or Barnett Newman. Clearly all art is about storytelling...
well, ill admit modern is different. some art simply exists to change the definition of what art can be or to challenge preconceived notions. or to elicit a reaction. and im not opposed to digital art at all.

but i think the whole "storytelling" angle on Lucas' parts seems like a bit of a reach to justify throwing a bunch of unrelated things hes accumulated in his garage together under one roof. ive been in a lot of museums like this, which were built upon collections accumulated by one Rich Guy and they rarely flow well or make much sense being shown side by side. For example, the McNay in San Antonio which, while the grounds are beautiful and the art in general is very nice, dosent really come together to tell a bigger story other than "this is the taste of one individual". I think a lot of the pieces would be more valuable in an encyclopedic type museum where their significance can be placed in context. But thats my 2 cents.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:33 PM

Wait. Is HOK definitely designing the Obama Library or are they just throwing their hat in the ring?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Wait. Is HOK definitely designing the Obama Library or are they just throwing their hat in the ring?
he hasnt even picked a city yet

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:39 PM

Quote:
he hasnt even picked a city yet
lol I realize that but that doesn't mean there isn't a favored architect for the Chicago bid

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development