HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 1:48 PM

On the McLean project, it's another modernistic looking thing I fear will become dated but that is certainly the right direction. I would have loved to have seen something like this at the old Bojo's flea market on Summer that would have preserved the old facade instead of a total flattening with a lot and box replacement.

On the 'I can dream can't I" front there's this:http://www.nbcnews.com/business/trav...9686?cid=sm_fb

I would love for Memphis to chase that tail and get a seasonal once weekly to Dublin or London. This airline is touting it's 787 fleet but they are getting the new 737 Maxs as well. A flight from Memphis on those would require a refueling stop at Halifax or someplace like that but only add about 30 minutes overall. If the CEO suggests that the overall average fare be 300 dollars from the Northeast, he can do 5 to 6 hundred from Memphis easy. Once in Dublin or London Gatwick you can make use of the insanely cheap LLCs to get anywhere else in Europe.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 7:11 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Seems we have a lot of good projects announced/in the pipeline... But dirt needs to start moving.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 8:51 PM

I really like the McLean Project. Plus, people love the idea of having a grocery store near a housing complex, so this is a win.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 9:22 PM

Artspace lofts recieve development grant

Today, the Center City Development Corp. Approved a $200,000 grant for the project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ent-grant.html

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 3:10 PM

Long-Awaited Artesian Opens on Riverside
By Madeline Faber/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
Thirty units have already sold. The building is unusual for a Downtown environment in that it has a great deal of surrounding green space. “It’s almost like a campus,” Thrash said. Thrash used the excess real estate to build amenities like a tennis court; bocce ball court; a pet park segregated for large and small dogs; a yoga room; workout facility; indoor and outdoor pools; two catering kitchens for events; a boardroom/private dining area and a rooftop deck. He also intends to leverage the Artesian’s location, buttressing the Riverside Drive pedestrian trail and the integrated path system that leads to the Harahan Bridge, by adding recreation-friendly amenities like an interior, air-conditioned bike storage room and easy-access entry and exit gates to the trails.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...-on-riverside/

(Daily News/Andrew J. Breig)

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 9:29 PM

Delta Regional River Park

Quote:
The planned Delta Regional River Park will be established on what is now low-lying farm land between the Harahan and Hernando DeSoto bridges. The major landowners of the property have agreed to provide easements for a 6.7-mile trail loop that will be built for bicycles and pedestrians, with funding provided through a $1 million federal grant and $250,000 contribution from the marketing arm of the city of West Memphis.
Finally West Memphis is trying to develop some of that unused land. I know that it will flood seasonally, but at least it'll be open most of the time.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...332571592.html

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWestMemphis View Post
Finally West Memphis is trying to develop some of that unused land. I know that it will flood seasonally, but at least it'll be open most of the time.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...332571592.html
I can't remember if I've ever shared my grandiose unrealistic idea for that land between the bridges. I always believed Arkansas should have explored building their own version of Mud Island(s). Maybe I have, it's right up there with the Disney River Cruises idea, complete with it's own private waterpark/resort located off Tunica Landing(possibly the the closed up Harrah's).

It 2ould consist of two islands and one peninsula. One island, the largest would rlbe long and more retangular in size and run along the bank from bridge to bridge , between it and the other between it and the I- 55 approach and wold be oVal . The peninsula would be built off of the raised roadway for I 40 and be more square to triangular. All would be built by using soil there by forming lakes that are arranged to be channels in high water. The main island along the river would be considerably wider than Mud Island, with the side closest to the river being park land with a riverside trail but with two large, gently sloped lawns that each would easily accommodate 15,000 people(think three big stage Music fest on both sides of river). The western portion of this island old he open to mixed use development and parking done right. The south end would have a slack water harbor/marina. The second Island would be a office park area, theme park, or other and the peninsula would be home to housing much like Harbor town. All,the land sout and west of the railroads would be converted to naturalized wetlands complete with trails for eco tourism and naming rights offered to corporations as part of incentive packages to relocate to the immediate area and/or remediation land. jMuch like what Mississippi did for Toyota.

I'd like to see those renderings better. This likely the best we could hope for.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
I can't remember if I've ever shared my grandiose unrealistic idea for that land between the bridges. I always believed Arkansas should have explored building their own version of Mud Island(s). Maybe I have, it's right up there with the Disney River Cruises idea, complete with it's own private waterpark/resort located off Tunica Landing(possibly the the closed up Harrah's).

It 2ould consist of two islands and one peninsula. One island, the largest would rlbe long and more retangular in size and run along the bank from bridge to bridge , between it and the other between it and the I- 55 approach and wold be oVal . The peninsula would be built off of the raised roadway for I 40 and be more square to triangular. All would be built by using soil there by forming lakes that are arranged to be channels in high water. The main island along the river would be considerably wider than Mud Island, with the side closest to the river being park land with a riverside trail but with two large, gently sloped lawns that each would easily accommodate 15,000 people(think three big stage Music fest on both sides of river). The western portion of this island old he open to mixed use development and parking done right. The south end would have a slack water harbor/marina. The second Island would be a office park area, theme park, or other and the peninsula would be home to housing much like Harbor town. All,the land sout and west of the railroads would be converted to naturalized wetlands complete with trails for eco tourism and naming rights offered to corporations as part of incentive packages to relocate to the immediate area and/or remediation land. jMuch like what Mississippi did for Toyota.

I'd like to see those renderings better. This likely the best we could hope for.
I said something similar about that land. Tunica is great, but just imagine if West Memphis had river cruises...you'd be able to enjoy Memphis's skyline for the majority of the time. I know developers are afraid of the river flooding, but that's what modern technology is for. Maybe one day...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 11:07 AM

#3756---ii,too, like ths particular rendering of retail, office, and other mixed use. it is a bit surprising because i generally don't like so much of the boxy, same materials, hangovers, and pretty much the same look going on for miles and miles. recently, i caught myself looking at so much of the same or similar structures, materials, floors, floor plates, etc. brookwood, broolwood road, lane, and pretty much that whole area has worked hard to stave off the frank lloyd wright oakhill, oakhaven, and pretty much every thing on that side of the city branded w/ "Oak."

i really like to see some of these contractors put out some mid to high range french and frencg normandy, some english cottage styles, and some Mediterranean. spanish revival, engish cotswald, and colonial and colonial revival.

Last edited by kingchef; Oct 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 9:10 AM

will there be a 2nd building included w/ the artesian development? i think it would be grand to reconfigure the second building into a higher vertical building, but w/ less apts and less amenities. it should offer plenty of parking, and really focus on more singles apts, smaller housing units, but offerings of several larger units. the use of different colors for the outside of the building and the some amenities that would appeal more to the single or small family. there seems to be so much passing talk regarding the enjoyment of the views of the ms river; yet, there are so few who actually have that view out of the 33-36,000 or so. i think there are so many---particularly the 25-40 year old range, who would rather have the verticality and views.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 2:44 AM

I know that this is not the One Beale forum, but is the height of the North tower still 450 feet? I'm seeing different heights online.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 7:57 AM

any word about a new fbi location, style, hihrise, lowrise, duble-wide?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 5:04 AM

New Tax Breaks Attract Grocers to Memphis Food Deserts

Quote:
Two of Memphis’ prominent food deserts are on the mend with possible tax breaks to attract grocery stores. Binghampton and Uptown are set to receive Community Builder PILOTs, a new payment-in-lieu-of-taxes incentive granted by the Memphis and Shelby County Economic Development Growth Engine.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...rgets-grocers/

(Courtesy of EDGE)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 5:13 AM

Delayed Midtown Kroger Details Unveiled

Quote:
The store at 1761 Union Ave. will feature a Starbucks with a patio, interior Corky’s restaurant and Murray’s Cheese Shop, growler fill station, juice bar, bike-repair station and two electric car charging stations.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...ails-unveiled/

(Pickering Architecture and Engineering)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 12:40 PM

Maybe I missed it but with the FedEx purchase of TNT seemingly going very smooth, what becomes of TNT's charter passenger service. Not much has been made of that. Is it going to be divested or did FedEx just happen to purchase a small passenger airlines along with a cargo behemoth. As far as I know they have only operated to ATL and NY JFK in the states but they operate in quite a few Euro cities with Liege as a hub. They have a few of these specialized boeings:
https://youtu.be/N3zb3Re4sjc

Now that's based on a 737-300 and that's not going to be doing transatlantic but what if Boeing did a 787 version of that.

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Oct 22, 2015 at 12:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 9:45 PM

No can do on the passenger airline piece.

See: http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intel...or-sale-again/

Quote:
FedEx and TNT have to flog it, just as UPS had agreed to do, to comply with European Union airline-ownership rules. They stipulate that foreigners can only hold a minority stake in the region’s carriers. TNT owns Belgium-based TNT Airways and Madrid-based Pan Air Lineas.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 9:22 PM

St. Jude plans three-story data center on Danny Thomas

Quote:
The new data center building planned near Downtown by St. Jude Children's Research Hospital will be three stories and 60,600 square feet and have 18 parking spaces, according to newly released documents.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/busi...338000422.html

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 5:30 AM

New Owner to Revive Long-Vacant Downtown Block

Quote:
Walk-Off Properties LLC bought the nine-story Hickman Building and its accompanying two-story parking garage on Sept. 30 for $1 million. The building, at 240 Madison Ave.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...kman-building/

photo (Daily News/Andrew J. Breig)

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 3:44 PM

Sam Cooper & East Parkway lot finally offered for sale

The long empty lots along Sam Cooper & East Parkway are finally offered for sale:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/busi...339516532.html

I hope Loeb has good plans for the space. Any deviation from the current zoning could have a huge impact on the surrounding area.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 3:58 AM

Memphis’ real estate development industry on a mixed-use tear

Quote:
Looked-over neighborhoods, like the Memphis Medical Center and Crosstown, are being cultivated into livable, walkable communities. What were once crumbling historic buildings are now seen as hip places to live.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news.../31/mix-it-up/

photo (Memphis News/Andrew J. Breig)

photos (Memphis News/Andrew J. Breig)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations