HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
That "westend expressway" should be started sooner than later, and should extend to Fanshawepark Road before it is too late to do it.
I can't find the plans online but it was back in late 90s/ early 2000s when London still wanted to build a ring road. The westend expressway [was going to go over the Thames, connect with Fanshawe park and would've connected with a northern expressway that was located in Arva. This northern expressway would've connected with VMP in the east to make it a true ring road.

Middlesex County challenged to OMB as they didn't want an expressway, who sided with them. London changed the westend expressway plans to end at Oxford and deemed there to be a long term protected corridor between Woodhull & Westdelbourne for this expressway. This was back in the early 2000s and there's been a ton of development in the west end. Its never been studied or had an EA, and if it's like many of the other City road plans is likely abandoned at their point.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:06 PM

Even ending at Oxford would be a welcome express link to the 402/401, as you said that area (I live out that way) is building like crazy and this need will only grow and become harder with time.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Adelaide Rd. S between Commissioners Rd. E and Southdale Rd. E
Just going to pave over Westminster Ponds?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inimrepus View Post
Just going to pave over Westminster Ponds?
It's not like it's one big body of water between the 2 ends of Adelaide. It wouldn't be a straight line through, although it would open those ponds up to actually being seen. Somehow, we managed to put Pond Mills Rd through that section of ponds. I can't imagine the intestinal fortitude it would take for a council to decide to do this though. But it's not like Ebury Crescent residents have the same influence as, say, Corley Drive.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
It's not like it's one big body of water between the 2 ends of Adelaide. It wouldn't be a straight line through, although it would open those ponds up to actually being seen. Somehow, we managed to put Pond Mills Rd through that section of ponds. I can't imagine the intestinal fortitude it would take for a council to decide to do this though. But it's not like Ebury Crescent residents have the same influence as, say, Corley Drive.
Pond Mills there was built at a time few cared about the environmental impacts of what they were doing. Likewise with the L&PS Railway there.

The main issue isn't so much the ponds, but all the forest that would have to be cut down to accommodate an extension. This being said, if CN ever abandoned its rail line there, there would be an opportunity to link Adelaide north of Commissioners south to meet Pond Mills. However I would also be against removal of a rail line that would be well-suited to a London-St. Thomas public transit option.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:51 PM

The city should do some more environmental studies about the missing road connecting links. Pay some company to produce hundreds of pages of findings. Then we can just look at the study paper burn and laugh about it. Years later we can say: oh yeah we thought about that and we decided not to do anything. While singing: That is how we do it. Business as per usual wash/rinse/repeat cycle of our dear Forest City or Railway Gridlock whatamecallit. Paint some yellow lines and call it BRT while at it too.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 10:44 PM

So the proposal for the new Adelaide CP underpass will realign Central Ave at Adelaide and create a proper intersection. One small improvement to the east west traffic grid as a result of a massive improvement to the north south Adelaide route.

Many other improvements can be done. Starting a list with these. Please add on:

Sanatorium Rd widening to 4 lanes with a twinning or replacement of the Boler Rd bridge to 4 lanes and widening of Boler to 4 lanes straight thru to Southdale.

Riverside Dr widening from Sanatorium Rd thru to Wonderland Rd then another phase from Wonderland East to Woodward. This has got to be 4 lanes some day.

Southdale Rd west from Wonderland to Westdel Bourne 4 lanes.

Colonel Talbot 4 lanes from Southdale south thru Lambeth.

Oxford St West from Sanatorium Rd to Westdel Bourne at 4 lanes.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 11:36 PM

I think widening Southdale west of Boler (or west of the subdivision anyway), would be very expensive given the terrain, and it would also need to have the curve straightened out somewhat at Westdel Bourne. However, I would like to see Homewood and Deadman's Rd paved at the west end of Pack Rd when Bradley is finally all linked up and that might be enough to divert traffic heading out to Westdel from the south end. Also, the rumoured link up of Boler to Pack would be great, especially after the roundabout is built at Colonel Talbot and Southdale. A roundabout will probably end up being built at Pack and Colonel Talbot at some point as well. Also, I wonder if Pack will just be renamed to Bradley when it's all linked up.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:00 AM

Thought of another link that would be nice to see in the future. As the redevelopment of the LPH lands go ahead, whenever that might be, it would be nice to see Hale St extended north to Oxford.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 12:43 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Thought of another link that would be nice to see in the future. As the redevelopment of the LPH lands go ahead, whenever that might be, it would be nice to see Hale St extended north to Oxford.
That would involve another rail crossing - either at grade or grade-separated. It would be nice but I don't see it happening.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
That would involve another rail crossing - either at grade or grade-separated. It would be nice but I don't see it happening.
Involves 2 crossings actually. But since it's not a major arterial road, I think anyone wishing to short cut through there to avoid Highbury will just have to deal with it. But if the area is going to be heavily developed, I think the residents might also appreciate another way down to Dundas with out dealing with Highbury or going east to First. And there already is a crossing at the CPR (currently barricaded) that Hale could be lined up to.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
With plans to make Highbury six lanes, I don't this is required.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstairsCranberry View Post
With plans to make Highbury six lanes, I don't this is required.
2 lanes of which will be BRT will they not? So no real gains. I think it depends on what the street layout in the LPH lands will be. It might be that they are already planning to access Dundas.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
2 lanes of which will be BRT will they not? So no real gains. I think it depends on what the street layout in the LPH lands will be. It might be that they are already planning to access Dundas.
I had to look at the Transportation Master Plan. The three lanes will run from Fanshawe Park Rd to Dundas, where Oxford to Dundas will have 2 lanes dedicated to BRT. The BRT is a gain. I guess there are too many houses to demolish from Dundas to Hamilton... although, not stopping the Wellington road widening.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure