HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Marquee at Block 37 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:41 PM

I guess I underestimate the popularity of bowling.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:34 PM
BANNED

its mostly drinking in a bowling alley.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 7:19 PM
dream fast

10/27

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 7:38 PM

There was a press conference today down on the pedway level with the developer, mayor, and alderman. They mentioned summer 2016 as (I presume) the completion date.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:32 AM

That photo is badass, george. I love the layers.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:01 AM
you know where I'll be

^^ Hopefully the CIM execs have issued their mea culpa and have gratuitously kissed his Panderman's arse for not running their plans for the AMC Theatre by him prior to announcing it....

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I guess I underestimate the popularity of bowling.
Apparently many of us have. Lucky Strike is doing a big expansion in Streeterville, across the street at River East Art Center a bowling and bocce facility is being developed by Pinstripes, and Kings Bowl is coming to New City, in addition to the abovementioned Brooklyn Bowl on Fulton.

Of course when the fervor subsides in a couple years we can all look forward to indoor archery, or whatever other clever repurposing of a bowling alley they can come up with.

(I shouldn't be so cynical; I hope interactive entertainment places like this succeed. Mini-golf too could probably do well in areas like these.)

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^^ Hopefully the CIM execs have issued their mea culpa and have gratuitously kissed his Panderman's arse for not running their plans for the AMC Theatre by him prior to announcing it....
Crane Base installed.

From the top

Appropriately - in the basement.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 12:44 PM
BANNED

Lol Reilly looks like total ass. Hard livin', guilty conscience - or lack thereof

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 12:50 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
"Not now, Brendan! We've been waiting 25 goddamn years for this fucking thing to get finished. We don't need your bullshit right now. Get out of the way and let these guys do what they need to do. Don't fuck with me, Brendan, or I'll put a razor blade in your turkey sandwich"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:10 PM
you know where I'll be

^

From the Trib article that picked up on this 'groundbreaking' ceremony: One lane of Randolph will be opening back up in Nov (my presumption is once they get the tower crane up and operating).......makes sense as I wouldn't have thought they would leave to just 1 lane open for the duration of construction.

Meanwhile, right across the street, I wonder what John Murphy's timetable is to get underway on the Oriental building renovation into apartments.......anybody know anything? Have the office tenants all been cleared out yet? Any permit activity show up?

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Oct 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
"Not now, Brendan! We've been waiting 25 goddamn years for this fucking thing to get finished. We don't need your bullshit right now. Get out of the way and let these guys do what they need to do. Don't fuck with me, Brendan, or I'll put a razor blade in your turkey sandwich"
So, you know this guy. One of your better posts -- for sure.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 6:09 PM
you know where I'll be

Tower Crane Rising - This Week

As of last evening, they had gotten up to the cab up.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Nov 6, 2014 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 6:53 PM

Also, they've now placed some big fucking girders on top of at least one of the trusses, this is certainly some interesting structural acrobatics. Too bad they are not leaving this structure exposed.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:11 AM
dream fast

11/6

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 2:55 PM
dream fast

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:52 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Now that is a piece of fucking steel!

Just had to grab a Marc burger for lunch across the street and watch the action. They are finishing the tower crane setup this afternoon.

There's just something about watching steel construction that stirs something deep down in a man's soul in a way that concrete just can't seem to ever quite muster for me......(unless it's indigestion from a massive burger with a fried egg, thick bacon, white cheddar and bbq sauce - at this point it could be either, quite frankly!)

In other Block 37 news, it would appear that the work they are doing on the 22 W Washington office building will not include finally completing CBS 2's video screen display. If I'm correct, that is indeed unfortunate. I believe the city should have tightened the screws on both CBS and the tower's owner to do the right thing and finish the job.

The 'good' news is that they are hanging a glass facade to cover up the 'innards' of what was supposed to be the expanded full-size display (shamefully after this ridiculous number of years) and present the building's Dearborn/Washington base to the street scape and Daley Plaza with a version 2 'finished' look.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Nov 7, 2014 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:23 PM
BANNED

^Because steel evokes the days of America's Industrial Revolution, when nothing was impossible and all it took was a little bit of brains and a whole lot of might to transform entire cities virtually overnight. It's a real treat watching this project and I am in no hurry to see it switch to CIP.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
The 'good' news is that they are hanging a glass facade to cover up the 'innards' of what was supposed to be the expanded full-size display (shamefully after this ridiculous number of years) and present the building's Dearborn/Washington base to the street scape and Daley Plaza with a version 2 'finished' look.....
While a completed screen would be the best outcome, I don't mind the innards and the metalwork being exposed. The inside bits have a finished look to them, so I'm glad to hear that glass will be covering it over rather than lame painted metal panels. It's a nice little display of stucture.

In related news, ABC finally repaired the LED obelisk twister whatthefuck thing on State Street.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 12:49 AM

I'm actually now devastated that they are not leaving that structure exposed. It's such a unique situation. You can see how the steel will relocate the forces onto the existing columns so the building can be reoriented from the two tower scheme to the one tower scheme. Any piece of steel that large should just never be covered up. This should be left exposed like 215 W Washington. This is the most exciting steelwork we've seen since they put up that tower. Looking forward to the acrobatics at 150 N Riverside and, to a lesser extent, River Point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive