HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 7:46 PM

2014 Quebec General Election + General Separatism Discussion

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ving-1.2549484

50% of non-francophones in Quebec considered leaving in the past year. Some of the reasons appear to be economic (taxes, jobs, etc.). However, the article also explores the fears that anglophones and allophones have with the prospect of a majority PQ government looming. In particular, they fear exclusionary linguistic policies and a culture of divisiveness.

The most popular destination choice for non-francophones (and francophones) considering leaving Quebec is Ontario, at about 40%. The US is second at 14%.

It seems like Marois' xenophobia is causing non-francophones to think twice.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 7:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Interesting they chose to interview and focus on a guy concerned about the langugage issue when it's not really high up on the list of reasons cited by people who are thinking of leaving...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 7:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

More good news for the PQ, I suppose. I can't imagine they'd be sad to see anglophone emigration.

However, are anglophones really worried about a majority PQ provincial government?

I wouldn't even give it a second thought until Quebec was independent.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 7:59 PM
Mooderator

How many of those non-francophones are bedding sexy francophones?

Not an admission.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Interesting they chose to interview and focus on a guy concerned about the langugage issue when it's not really high up on the list of reasons cited by people who are thinking of leaving...
Well, it doesn't seem like there is an entirely dominant reason. Economic factors only account for 16% of the cited reasons for leaving the province.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:05 PM
Hammer'd

Pretty sure francophone Quebec has no fucks to give on this one.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
More good news for the PQ, I suppose. I can't imagine they'd be sad to see anglophone emigration.

However, are anglophones really worried about a majority PQ provincial government?

People want to feel more welcome. It seems like the environment in Quebec is getting more tense. Some say that this is the most tense it has been since the referendum.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:06 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I'm actually shocked it's only 50%. Gluttons for punishment, I guess.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:09 PM

It's interesting that CBC are funding that king of poll... The main reason behind this is the upcoming elections and the possibility that the PQ form a majority government. It's not a unknown that the PQ is unpopular with non-francophones and It's easy to answer something in a poll...

From the article: Graves, of EKOS, said that while the number of respondents who said they'd considered leaving was higher than he expected, telling a pollster is one thing, and selling your home and uprooting your family is another.

He said it's unlikely many of those who had considered a move would go when push comes to shove.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

They are fearing property value armaggedon in their communities and don't want to be caught with their pants down.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:17 PM

I wonder how the figure compares to the percentage of people in other provinces who have considered moving to another province? 50% doesn't seem all that high to me. Considering moving and actually moving are two very different things, it seems to me.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Well, it doesn't seem like there is an entirely dominant reason. Economic factors only account for 16% of the cited reasons for leaving the province.
To be perfectly honest, I am pretty sure language reasons are in reality higher than what is cited in the survey, but some people held back on that reason for fear of appearing to be "têtes carrées" or anti-French. It's easier to cite economic concerns which aren't as loaded a reason.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post
It's interesting that CBC are funding that king of poll... The main reason behind this is the upcoming elections and the possibility that the PQ form a majority government. It's not a unknown that the PQ is unpopular with non-francophones and It's easy to answer something in a poll...

From the article: Graves, of EKOS, said that while the number of respondents who said they'd considered leaving was higher than he expected, telling a pollster is one thing, and selling your home and uprooting your family is another.

He said it's unlikely many of those who had considered a move would go when push comes to shove.
Certainly. Quebec can relax knowing that moving can be very difficult to do. Therefore, even though substantial groups of people want to leave Quebec, they may never be able to achieve their dreams because of the difficulties involved.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post

It does mean though that most people who have a real offer or an opportunity outside of the province are likely to go. But as for people "actively seeking" with no offers in Ontario, Alberta or BC... only a small minority of people would do that. Even now.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I wonder how the figure compares to the percentage of people in other provinces who have considered moving to another province? 50% doesn't seem all that high to me. Considering moving and actually moving are two very different things, it seems to me.
And remember it's only 50% of a particular demographic. Not the entire population of the province.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
11% of francophones in Quebec considered leaving Quebec. 20% of all people in Quebec considered leaving Quebec.

Arguably, we could use that as the baseline for what people feel regarding moving in Canada.

However, you'd have to factor in that there aren't any other predominantly francophone provinces in Canada. Anglophone Canadians outside of Quebec may feel more open about moving to another province that is not Quebec because they know that it will be predominantly anglophone.

Regardless, there is no way that 50% of people in any other province (excluding perhaps economically depressed regions like the Maritimes) want to move. That would be nearly 5x the francophone Quebec desire for moving, and 2.5x the total Quebec desire for moving.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:23 PM

What surprises me is that they want to move to Ontario, where the unemployment is not much better than here, instead of Alberta.

I'm really fade up myself of all the anglophobia and xenophobic shit going on here, but I have to remind myself that it's not nearly as bad as the media makes it to appear. On the street of Montreal, anglo and franco get along just fine. But the PQ propaganda about Montreal becoming more anglophone and less french is very efficient and it scares Quebecers from the regions, who really fall into the trap and believe that the island is becoming anglophone. This is becoming a ROQ versus Montreal thing. And at the end, Montreal will be the biggest looser. But the PQ doesn't give a damn about Montreal because they don't need the island voters to get a majority. They will happily bankrupt the city if that's what they need to do to get a majority. The PQ is playing on ROQ's natural hate of Montreal.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:24 PM

Quote:
And remember it's only 50% of a particular demographic. Not the entire population of the province.
Exactly. It's only 50% of the population group that the PQ wants out of Quebec.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Pretty sure francophone Quebec has no fucks to give on this one.
Correct to a large degree. Something like this is not really gonna sway anybody away from PQ if that's what they intended to do.

Jean-Guy, you better not vote for the PQ, because if you do, a bunch of anglos might move to Ontario!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:25 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
It does mean though that most people who have a real offer or an opportunity outside of the province are likely to go. But as for people "actively seeking" with no offers in Ontario, Alberta or BC... only a small minority of people would do that. Even now.
I'm not sure I understand this statement.

In order to obtain a "real offer or an opportunity outside of the province" one must usually* be "actively seeking".

* The exception being unsolicited recruitment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada