Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 4:58 PM

Study Reveals World’s Most Walkable Cities

Study Reveals World’s Most Walkable Cities

15 Oct 2020

By Damian Carrington

Read More: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...alkable-cities

Study: https://pedestriansfirst.itdp.org

Quote:
The world’s most walkable cities include London, Paris, Bogotá and Hong Kong, according to a report. The UK capital outranks almost 1,000 cities around the world on citizens’ proximity to car-free spaces, schools and healthcare, and the overall shortness of journeys. Researchers at the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) said making cities walkable was vital to improve health, cut climate-heating transport emissions and build stronger local communities and economies. However, they said very few cities overall gave pedestrians priority and were dominated by cars.

- “In order to provide safe and inviting walking conditions, it is essential to shift the balance of space in our cities away from cars,” said Heather Thompson, the head of ITDP, which is based in New York. The IDTP said the need was particularly urgent as the coronavirus pandemic was driving people away from walking and public transport and into private cars. --- “Our city streets across the planet are already full of cars,” said Taylor Reich, an ITDP researcher. “If you really want to see the worst for walkability, it is the really sprawling cities of the US. They might have great sidewalks, but everything is so far apart that it’s impossible to practically walk to the grocery store or the school.” --- Indianapolis was the lowest ranked US city, with just 4% of people close to education and healthcare and 9% next to a car-free area. Reich said policymakers everywhere needed to plan dense mixes of housing, shops and businesses and equip streets with benches, wide pavements and shade.

- Among other cities scoring highly for closeness to car-free spaces are Berlin and Barcelona in Europe, Melbourne and Sydney in Australia, while Washington DC is ranked 25th in the world. For closeness to healthcare and schools, Kathmandu in Nepal and Athens in Greece are both high, while Toronto in Canada is ranked at 35 and New York City at 50. --- The report cites examples of developments that have made cities more walkable, such as in Pune, India, where a road redesign prioritised pedestrians and cyclists by building wide sidewalks and creating areas for children to play and vendors to sell. In Bogotá, there was a concerted effort at the turn of the century to create a city “with more public space for children than for motor vehicles”, by focusing on buses, cycling and walking. --- Alexandra Gomes, at the London School of Economic cities centre, praised the report and said: “Walking is crucial for liveable cities and a basic right for any city dweller. However, for a long-time walkability has been a planning afterthought in many parts of the world.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 6:00 PM
BANNED

Why is weather never taken into account when discussing walkability? Surely San Francisco is more walkable than New York in summer and winter.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 6:35 PM
Pay it Forward

Bogota? I found it to be extremely autocentric. Maybe it eas the areas I was in?

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Belcher View Post
Why is weather never taken into account when discussing walkability? Surely San Francisco is more walkable than New York in summer and winter.
Or tree cover, scenery, landscaping, colorful and diverse architecture. All of these make walking a lot more pleasant.

I am told that places like South Philly are a walker's paradise but the visual monotony kills it for me. Is there a more depressing visual combo than red brick and gray skies? People here like to count curb cuts and measure setbacks to determine walkability, like any of that means anything to the average person.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 8:08 PM

Maybe it means walkability in a practical sense.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 8:41 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I am told that places like South Philly are a walker's paradise but the visual monotony kills it for me. Is there a more depressing visual combo than red brick and gray skies?

What?! You crazy for that one. What better antitode to the gloom than a cozy red brick (or yellow or brown or any other earthen hue)?

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/543035667554624477/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 9:20 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Or tree cover, scenery, landscaping, colorful and diverse architecture. All of these make walking a lot more pleasant.
How flat the terrain is matters too. Who wants to walk up and down steep hills all day? And then there are the locals. Some are more pleasant than others.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Lima, Peru is very walkable after you take a 40 minute taxi ride (not just a random taxi, but a pre-approved known safe taxi cab company) through sketch ball walkable areas from the airport to miraflores. then it's somewhat safe to walk around in the bubble with a lot of heavily armed police.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 9:23 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Is there a more depressing visual combo than red brick and gray skies?
Wait what? Very little beats red brick. A neighbourhood instantly gets extra points if it has red brick buildings in it.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 9:32 PM
The New Republic

My downtown Toronto neighbourhood has a Walk Score of 92, a Ride Score of 86, and a Bike Score of 99. Seems about right as I have to walk 3 blocks if I want to use the subway. Grocery stores are 2 blocks away. The quality of the public realm is quite low (2m wide concrete sidewalks, crappy landscaping, ugly utility poles, overhead wiring, etc.) Overall, it's passable.

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 17, 2020 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 9:53 PM

Quote:

I am told that places like South Philly are a walker's paradise but the visual monotony kills it for me. Is there a more depressing visual combo than red brick and gray skies? People here like to count curb cuts and measure setbacks to determine walkability, like any of that means anything to the average person.
Because it does, lol. Go spend a month without a car in South Philly then do the same in L.A. I think it will become very obvious why those things matter.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe it depends where you live in San Francisco but my neighborhood has a "walk score" of 99, a major hospital 3 blocks up the street, numerous corner markets within several blocks and supermarkets about 5 blocks away, opera, ballet, symphony, central library and major art museum within 3 blocks:

https://www.walkscore.com/score/sanfrancisco-ca

I don't feel the need to move to Bogata.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Agreed. There's no denying that NYC is supremely walkable, but there's also no denying that it has more bad weather days that make walking unpleasant. I can usually deal with the colder weather as NYC isn't usually "that" cold, but the sweltering summer days are a real drag.

SF does have those hills though. I can't ignore those either. I don't mind them as a visitor, but I think that they might get old if I lived there. But it would be worth it.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 2:42 AM
Never Dell

If you lived there they'd get easy, not old. Pedestrians in hilly cities tend to get at least marginally fit.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 2:42 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
What?! You crazy for that one. What better antitode to the gloom than a cozy red brick (or yellow or brown or any other earthen hue)?

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/543035667554624477/
×1,000,000

There's something very reassuringly inevitable about a brick city under a heavy november sky. One of my favorite looks.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Because it does, lol. Go spend a month without a car in South Philly then do the same in L.A. I think it will become very obvious why those things matter.
I walk a lot in LA. A lot a lot. LA is very walkable in the literal sense. It has sidewalks pretty much everywhere. I say that only because that's not always the case in sunbelt cities and that can't necessarily be taken for granted. That said, the quality of the walking can very often leave a lot to be desired.

LA's pattern is parallel major streets lined with business separated by blocks of dense residential. Cars may be driving fast on the major streets depending on the area and that's more unpleasant than curb cuts to me. But if you're without a car and you walk 3 blocks from your residential neighborhood to the bus on the major street, I don't think that part is that bad because you spend most of your walk in a quiet residential neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
If you lived there they'd get easy, not old. Pedestrians in hilly cities tend to get at least marginally fit.
Nice dig. I'm more than marginally fit. Lol. But I bet that people in SF try to avoid hills when they can. We have Bunker Hill here in DTLA and if I'm walking and need to get to the other side, I'll usually choose a less hilly route. I think that's only natural.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 3:24 AM

Many of LA's major arterials don't have curb cuts. They have solid streetwalls with parking in rear via access road. Melrose, LaBrea, Beverly, etc are this way: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0836...data=!3m1!1e3?

In residential areas there's not enough traffic in and out of driveways for it to be a major issue. As a pedestrian I'd rather have curb cuts, driveways and off street parking than have people park all over the sidewalk like they do in South Philly. I mean, if rowhouse neighborhoods offered substantially higher density than standard LA multifamily neighborhoods like this, then you could make a case for them, but the densities are comparable, so why compromise? You can have high density, off street parking and SFH like landscaping in the heart of the city.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 3:35 AM

Walk it for long distances in LA is hit and miss, but the improvements are noticeable. And if you're not walking long distances and instead walking for everyday conveniences, there are lots of good choices with more coming all the time.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 4:39 AM

Quote:
People here like to count curb cuts and measure setbacks to determine walkability, like any of that means anything to the average person.
Curb cuts are a huge factor in relative walkability. Every curb cut requires one to pause and potentially defer to vehicles. They also mess up walking with strollers, carts and disabilities.

Also, this study is stupid. Venice is the most walkable city, period. Bogota is super autocentric, except in the small historic core.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions