HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:20 PM

REITs Fly Under the Radar as a Smart Covid Vaccine Trade

I agree with this. I think people will want to move back to cities and other walkable communities with plentiful amenities once there is a vaccine. I bought stock in Vornado, Boston Properties, and Federal Realty Investment Trust last week.

I don't claim to be a financial wizard but when the stocks for these companies are still down 30% - 40%, it is probably a good time to buy.

REITs Fly Under the Radar as a Smart Covid Vaccine Trade

Brian Chappatta
November 10, 2020
Bloomberg

"(Bloomberg Opinion) -- Monday was an extraordinary day across financial markets. A vaccine developed by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE was heralded as the most encouraging scientific advance so far in the battle against the Covid-19 pandemic and deemed “extraordinary” by Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. The breakthrough had traders suddenly positioning for a return to normal life sooner than expected.

Some of the most eye-grabbing price swings were in shares of brand-name travel and entertainment companies. The exchange-traded fund JETS, which counts Southwest Airlines Co., Delta Air Lines Inc., United Airlines Holdings Inc. and American Airlines Group Inc. as its four biggest holdings, soared as much as 25%, the biggest intraday move since it was launched in 2015. AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc., the beaten-down theater chain whose shares closed at $2.49 last week, jumped as much as 76% to $4.39. Carnival Corp. surged almost 44%, while the pricier shares of Royal Caribbean Cruises rallied about 35%. Meanwhile, Zoom Video Communications Inc. and Peloton Interactive Inc., two of the biggest beneficiaries of coronavirus lockdowns, each fell at one point by the most on record..."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/reits...110002198.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 9:00 PM

Is this your pump?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Stoked Brah View Post
I had a chance to take a look at VNO, BXP and FRT earlier today.

Investing is all about your personal position in life. you can't recommend one thing over another because everybody is in a unique position.

the good thing about these REITs is that they were beat up pretty badly, so there is the potential short term upside. the longer outlook isn't that great. 5 year charts show negative returns. another upside is they all offer nice dividends. some are increasing, VNO is decreasing. a red flag for me is recent ratings from 11/13. VNO - F; BXP - D; FRT - F. in the last week some of these are up over 20%. again, depends on where you are in your life situation, some might find these REITs attractive at this point in time, others would not.

just my opinion only.
I agree 100%; I'm not huge on REITs, but they def make sense for some people. My biggest issue with REITs are:

1. Liquidity, many REITS (especially the eREITS out there) have a minimum 5 year investment time.

2. Dividend - REIT dividend is (from my knowledge) taxed as ordinary income, and not long term cap gains.

3. Doesn't offer the Tax Benefits, Appreciation, Ability to Leverage Debt like actual real estate.

with all that said there is probably quite a bit of opportunity in REITs now. probably undervalued.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions