Toronto - tourism by SSP Tony, on Flickr

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 8:01 PM

^ Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 7:17 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Toronto may be an amazing city for residents, but it could use a tad of work making it more inviting to visitors.

It could, but should it? From what I gather, you're from New York, a city that most locals seem to think was better before it rolled out the red carpet to Middle American tourists (I would be inclined to agree). Toronto on the other hand can be a very (passively) unwelcoming, secretive sort of place - closed-off to people who aren't locals or in-the-know visitors (of course, it's really not that hard to find out these sorts of things these days). But for those that are, its urban, cultural, and hedonistic delights are plentiful. A little "elitist" perhaps, but I think most of us would prefer to keep it that way than to water it down for mass consumption.

On the flipside, it is kind of embarrassing to think of the impression that most tourists must get considering just how dull and characterless the tourist pens we do have are. I wouldn't be opposed to putting more shiny baubles in these areas to entertain them at least. But let's keep the rest of the city for the people who actually live here or have some passion for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A word of caution: be careful not to dwell too much on the liquor laws (as archaic as they might be - I totally agree) as for some reason you'll get quickly labelled as an obsessed alcoholic on there and this will taint your other observations and views in the eyes of some, for some reason.

Oh, don't be daft. You know well and good that you're speaking in reference to Habsfanman, who's entire raison d'etre was that everything about Toronto is awful because there's no beer in corner stores and things close an hour earlier than they do in Montreal. And if you're someone that finds a city to be the urban equivalent of the seventh circle of hell because you have to walk an extra 10 minutes to grab a beer - you might just have a drinking problem. Either that or you're 15 and still think that it's the be all and end all of coolness.

We've otherwise had plenty of discussions on here about liberalizing liquor laws in Ontario, which have never had anything less than near-unanimous support, let alone accusations of alcoholism.

And it absolutely is relevant than it's a provincial issue. It's not because the people Timmins and Listowel are holding us back - most Ontarians, whether in Toronto or elsewhere want more liberal liquor laws - but because the provincial government has too much to lose by opening themselves up to competition. Either way, there's not really anything that the City can do about it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 2:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Oh, don't be daft. You know well and good that you're speaking in reference to Habsfanman, who's entire raison d'etre was that everything about Toronto is awful because there's no beer in corner stores and things close an hour earlier than they do in Montreal. And if you're someone that finds a city to be the urban equivalent of the seventh circle of hell because you have to walk an extra 10 minutes to grab a beer - you might just have a drinking problem. Either that or you're 15 and still think that it's the be all and end all of coolness.

We've otherwise had plenty of discussions on here about liberalizing liquor laws in Ontario, which have never had anything less than near-unanimous support, let alone accusations of alcoholism.

And it absolutely is relevant than it's a provincial issue. It's not because the people Timmins and Listowel are holding us back - most Ontarians, whether in Toronto or elsewhere want more liberal liquor laws - but because the provincial government has too much to lose by opening themselves up to competition. Either way, there's not really anything that the City can do about it.
CIA, who is not habfanman, was in fact taken to task on this very thread for mentioning the tighter liquor laws.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:41 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
CIA, who is not habfanman, was in fact taken to task on this very thread for mentioning the tighter liquor laws.

What? Who called him an "obsessed alcoholic"? You're just making shit up now. Every response in reference to his complaints of our liquor laws were in agreement, just with one that added that it's the province to blame rather than the city.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:02 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

enough.. eesh.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
What? Who called him an "obsessed alcoholic"? You're just making shit up now. Every response in reference to his complaints of our liquor laws were in agreement, just with one that added that it's the province to blame rather than the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
We don't all choose what's best based on the proliferation of easy access liquor. That sounds more like something a frat boy from Starkville, Mississippi might say.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:39 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

That's still pretty far from throwing around accusations of being "obsessed alcoholics". Also it was in response to this trollish comment:

"I know you guys think the city is the greatest and you think most Americans never heard of it, but really, it's not that great and next time I'll be heading to Montreal on personal travel as I've heard great things and no silly liquor laws. I can't recommend Toronto to anyone other than transit enthusiasts. I know dry counties in the Deep South with more liberal liquor laws than the forth largest city in North America. Which reminds me, your bars close too early, too!!"

You'll also note that isaidso initially said "The Beer Store/LCBO is a concept out of the East Bloc so I agree with you there."

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 9:36 PM
The New Republic

People certainly like to take things out of context/twist things around so thank you Monkeyronin for re-posting what was actually said. At the end of the day we instinctively know we live in a fabulous city and stopped looking for validation from outsiders a long time ago. For those that still do there are a plethora of studies that indicate what locals have known for years:

Toronto is world’s best city to live in, Economist study says

The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Jan. 30 2015, 6:50 AM EST

Toronto is the world’s best city to live in, according to a study of major metropolises by The Economist Intelligence Unit. And Montreal is the second-best, with Stockholm, Amsterdam and San Francisco rounding out the top five.

It is based on a ranking of 50 major cities by a new study of safety along with past rankings based on liveability and cost of living. Cities were further sorted according to past country rankings based on business environment, degree of democracy and food security.....

Link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle22716436/

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 3, 2015 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 8:09 PM

CIA, in my opinion, a touristic experience of Toronto which I find adequate for the seasoned traveler starts out at the Distillery District (morning coffee at Balzac's), moves up to King, then along King all the way over to Niagara. It hugs the arc of Niagara Street over to Trinity Bellwoods, crosses the park and ends up at Dundas and Ossington, with dinner on the Ossington strip.

This, in my opinion, would be a very good start, although it still only scratches the surface. That map Tony V posted, for example, excludes all but two of the nightlife areas in the core.

Cheers

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto