HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The Tower Auto Court

ebay

detail of the tower (is that a clock?)

address: -it looks like 10880 Ventura Blvd. -so shouldn't it say N. Hollywood?

-the court included a small gas station

I hope we can dig up some more information on this place.
__
I think I solved this mystery from years ago. My friend lives in one of these apts located at 10822 Ventura Blvd. The bungalows sure look like a match.

The above split screen is from 1964(historic aerial) and today. This is to show that the rear building had not existed didn't exist in 1964(as it does not in the Tower Auto Court photograph).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:

In memory of their son, Mr. & Mrs. Toberman established a hospital in his name.

Southern Methodist 1916

I'm disappointed a street address wasn't included. (at least we know it was somewhere on Central Boulevard)

The hospital was on Sunset Blvd.

rescarta.lapl.org

The building was originally the Homer Toberman Deaconess Home and then turned into a hospital in 1907.

Report of the Woman's Home Mission Society of The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, 1904

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald -14 March 1907

In 1913 the building became a Cooperative Home for Working Girls and the medical work was transferred to a clinic on East 7th Street.

Report of the Woman's Missionary Council of The Methodist Episcopal Church 1913-14

rescarta.lapl.org

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Feb 2, 2019 at 3:03 PM. Reason: Added picture & clipping.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

On the 1910 Baist Map below, 6th Street is at the top, Orange (later Wilshire) is at the bottom, and Lucas Street is
at left. I've enclosed 616 St. Paul in a blue rectangle; the house directly to its north was architect John Parkinson's
at 600 St. Paul. Have we ever discussed the house and grounds on the SE corner of 6th and Lucas at upper left?:

HistoricMapWorks
Great research on 240 S Bixel, FW.

We've definitely scratched the surface with the building at 1136 W 6th Street. If you check the posts from early September 2015, you'll find my post (see here) with the images below and more. I think t2 may have started the discussion with posts about Bixel House. Start at page 1541 (@ 20 posts/page) and have a look around. I may well have missed some earlier/later posts in my quick check. I have a feeling we found some pictures of the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Here's what I've found about the large estate.

The following images are from a PDF file about the Bixel/Lucas project I found at planning.lacity.org. You can download it here - it's 610 pages long and 46.3Mb! Other PDFs are available here, but I have't looked at them yet.

The 1906 Sanborn map shows a single building in the area marked "Tract 321" on the Baist map.

The 1950 Sanborn map appears to show the same building labeled as "Bishop Johnson College of Nursing", with the dormitory building to the left. The surviving building at 6th and Lucas, and Bixel House are also shown.

So, do the Baist and 1906 Sanborn maps show the Bishop Johnson College of Nursing, or did the college take over a large building on the site. The Museum of Nursing History seems to indicate that Bishop Johnson arrived in Los Angeles in 1896.

Last edited by HossC; Feb 2, 2019 at 8:57 PM. Reason: I pressed the wrong letter and accidentally credited the wrong person. Thanks for the catch, AlvaroLegido.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:

USC dates this photo looking west on 6th Street (at the right edge of the photo) as ca. 1925, and it might have
been taken that summer. The apartment building/hotel with the yellow dot, which appears to be under construction,
is at 616 St. Paul and replaced the home moved to 240 S. Bixel. The red arrow points to the large residence at the
SE corner of 6th and Lucas (1136 W. 6th?), surrounded by trees:

CHS-9069 at USCDL
The building under construction at 616 St Paul Avenue became the Hotel Victor (below). I also posted some circa 1972 images of St Paul Avenue in post #27060. They're screengrabs from the movie 'Hickey & Boggs', and while centered on the Brownleigh/Brown Leigh Apartments, you can see the front of the Victor in the background.

Quote:

Near the center of the Cityscape, and not far from the houses on Wilshire, is St Paul Avenue. I used the 1929 CD to find the addresses of three of the St Paul Avenue buildings.

Detail of photo in USC Digital Library/rescarta.lapl.org

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
The hospital was on Sunset Blvd.

The building was originally the Homer Toberman Deaconess Home and then turned into a hospital in 1907.

Report of the Woman's Home Mission Society of The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, 1904
____________________________________________________________________________________

It reminds me of this place.

Noir Noir skyscraperpage

for search purposes: Big Sister League of Los Angeles, 2118 Tinity St.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 2, 2019 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCraig View Post
Perhaps it's a "Do Not Enter" sign on a one way street.

I was thinking that too, but in one of the pics I see a car parked in the other direction, I think it's probably rail related(or pirates!).

I've been looking for a post where someone answered this question once before concerning the "X" signs,
but I can't locate it. (Heh! What do you search for?) But I'm sure the answer was rail related.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodin View Post
I think I solved this mystery from years ago. My friend lives in one of these apts located at 10822 Ventura Blvd. The bungalows sure look like a match.

The M&M motel, former home of Lynn Martin, friend of Elizabeth Short.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Georgette Bauerdorf: Murder at El Palacio (1944)

photo from:
http://www.georgettebauerdorf.com/

This website features the entire noirish story better than I could tell it.
An oil heiress, a job at the Los Angeles Times, volunteer at the Hollywood Canteen. Dorothy Dandridge met her end here, too. Marilyn Monroe lived there for a time. Pier Angeli, also. And Lindsay Lohan.

The entire tale told on the website with these chapter titles:

Ch 1: El Palacio
Ch 2: Georgette
Ch 3: The Hollywood Canteen
Ch 4: Murder at El Palacio
Ch 5: The Next Day
Ch 6: Suspects
Ch 7: Postscript

Still unsolved.
The "Hitchhiking Sergeant," Gordon Aadland, passed away at 92 awhile back. He was the last person known to have seen Georgette before she was murdered.

http://www.georgettebauerdorf.com/

Last edited by BDiH; Feb 2, 2019 at 10:33 PM. Reason: error

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 11:03 PM

Anyone (esp Hoss) have any idea of the whereabouts of this house? The image is from a short called "Hollywood Snapshots"-- supposedly the home of silent comedian Sid Smith. Smith is in some sources noted a living "above Los Feliz" but those references are from after the film was made in early 1922. Smith was pretty big but died in 1928 after drinking bad hooch.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodin View Post

I love this very outdated style of tiny apartments, with all entrances facing a narrow central courtyard. There's something very noirish about them. So few remain, although there is one on the 1300 block of N La Brea. (Not quite Nino Zachetti's address, but it's close.)

I would probably have a very different opinion of them if I had to live in one.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 2:35 AM

Once more
Quote:

skyscraperpage

Who lived in that impressive white house at upper right?
Quote:
That impressive white house at upper right is 240 S. Bixel.

USC dates the above photo as 1931, so the answer to your question, e_r, is author, editor, and publisher Samuel T. Clover
Fine sleuthing FW! Thanks for answering my question.....and for supplying us with all that information.(bldg. permits...maps...photo....etc.)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I also appreciate all the feedback on the mystery X.

There were alot of theories...but no consensus, right?

__

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 8:15 AM

Edenwild?

Here is an original family snapshot taken in the Summer of 1924.

Ray & D.W.(?) Lamb

EBAY

Rear labeled: "Ray & Dexter, summer of 1924. Edenwild, Santa Monica Mounts." [the seller did not provide an image of the reverse side]

When I searched 'Edenwild' [via the skyscraperpage search mechanism] nothing turned up.

Does anyone know where Edenwild was located?

also too..& just for kicks.

Here are all the Lambs listed in the 1925 city directory.

LAPL

I was hoping to find a family living in Pacific Palisade or Santa Monica. -(obviously the two young hikers are juveniles..so they wouldn't be listed anyway)
--although they might be listed in a few years.
......................................but I gave up.

P.S. Edenwild seems vaguely familiar...but I'm probably thinking of Edendale.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 3, 2019 at 8:44 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:

When I searched 'Edenwild' [via the skyscraperpage search mechanism] nothing turned up.

Does anyone know where Edenwild was located?

P.S. Edenwild seems vaguely familiar...but I'm probably thinking of Edendale.

_
"Edenwild is a neighborhood in Calabasas, California. Edenwild mostly features large homes that are very high value. This is a well-established community that continues to attract interest from buyers looking in the Calabasas area. "(https://www.neighborhoods.com/edenwild-calabasas-ca)

It's off Piuma Road, just east of Las Virgenes Canyon Road.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 11:10 AM

Garden of Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
I love this very outdated style of tiny apartments, with all entrances facing a narrow central courtyard. There's something very noirish about them. So few remain, although there is one on the 1300 block of N La Brea. (Not quite Nino Zachetti's address, but it's close.)

I would probably have a very different opinion of them if I had to live in one.

Hollywood was never the same after they tore town the Garden of Allah apartment court. The most famous of them all. Any noirish pics of it?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Ray & D.W.(?) Lamb

EBAY

Rear labeled: "Ray & Dexter, summer of 1924. Edenwild, Santa Monica Mounts." [the seller did not provide an image of the reverse side]

also too..& just for kicks.

Here are all the Lambs listed in the 1925 city directory.

LAPL

I was hoping to find a family living in Pacific Palisade or Santa Monica. -(obviously the two young hikers are juveniles..so they wouldn't be listed anyway)
--although they might be listed in a few years.
I found a Raymond W Lamb and Dexter W Lamb in the main 1925 LACD. They lived at 4606 Wesley Avenue and 2626 N Workman Street (it now appears to be just Workman Street) respectively. Could this be our pair? A year later, Raymond is listed as a draftsman and Dexter as a cabinet maker (having moved next door to 2624 N Workman).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
I found a Raymond W Lamb and Dexter W Lamb in the main 1925 LACD. They lived at 4606 Wesley Avenue and 2626 N Workman Street (it now appears to be just Workman Street) respectively. Could this be our pair? A year later, Raymond is listed as a draftsman and Dexter as a cabinet maker (having moved next door to 2624 N Workman).
Hmmmm...so the hikers in the 1924 snapshot must be older than what I thought. (I thought they were around 16 or 17 yrs. old)

I'm surprised by how many Lambs are listed in the main Los Angeles directory.
(oops. I didn't realize I was looking at the Santa Monica directory) ..................................It was 3:00 A.M. I was tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
"Edenwild is a neighborhood in Calabasas, California. Edenwild mostly features large homes that are very high value. This is a well-established community that continues to attract interest from buyers looking in the Calabasas area. "(https://www.neighborhoods.com/edenwild-calabasas-ca)

It's off Piuma Road, just east of Las Virgenes Canyon Road.
Thanks Bill. I see on Google Earth that Edenwild Road is located in an area called Dark Canyon north of Malibu. (LOVE the name...Dark Canyon! )

Let's find that large rock the two hikers are posing on. (you can do it minions!)

detail /

Now that I see Ray and Dexter close up.....they look older than what I initially thought.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 3, 2019 at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:06 PM

summer of 1938, Newport Beach

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Anyone (esp Hoss) have any idea of the whereabouts of this house? The image is from a short called "Hollywood Snapshots"-- supposedly the home of silent comedian Sid Smith. Smith is in some sources noted a living "above Los Feliz" but those references are from after the film was made in early 1922. Smith was pretty big but died in 1928 after drinking bad hooch.

Well GW, I watched the short (the whole thing is available here for anyone who's interested), but there aren't a lot of clues. The Armstrong & Carleton Cafe (6600 Hollywood Boulevard) appears immediately before the house, but that probably doesn't help. The first title card with the house says "Sid Smith at afternoon Tee" (the kid is playing golf), and then at the close-up there's another which says "Master Zukor". Are we sure that this is Sid Smith's house, or could it belong to the Zukors? I think that Adolph Zukor's son, Eugene, only married in 1920, so it's unlikely to be Eugene's son.

An address I did find for Sid Smith is in a short bio at bizarrela.com:

"He died on July 4, 1928, from ingesting poisoned alcohol during a drinking binge that had lasted several days. Apparently, Smith had attended a party at a Santa Monica beach house where he may have drunk tainted, bootlegged gin from a stone crock. He then returned to Los Angeles, complaining that he didn’t feel well. A friend took him to a hospital for stomach treatment. Smith then went to his home at 1508 N. Gower Street and unexpectedly died there a few hours later."

This is six years too late, and the house in the picture appears to have a three-digit number. The search continues...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:

Let's find that large rock the two hikers are posing on!
perhaps the rock is famous locally...?

detail /

_
You funny! My guess is that it was shot in the area east of Dark Canyon(quite a bit of rocky peaks there), there's not enough in the picture to provide enough context to get any closer.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 9:27 PM

You funny too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos