HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 5:41 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Didn't you say in one other thread that you spent one day in Vancouver? Vancouver gets high 20s and low 30s days in the summer. Don't kid yourself.
I've spent a few days there a couple of times in between flights. True, I've never been there for a whole summer.

Hmmm...as a testament to my comparative idleness on this fall evening I just went to the EC website and looked at the daily data for July and August for the past five years. It made it to 30 degrees precisely never in Vancouver between 2003 and 2007, according to their stats. There were only about 3 or 4 days with temps above 25 degrees (the absolute minimum for swimming for me, never mind completely disrobing out of doors) for either of those two months.

Would this explain why people in Vancouver beach photos don't seem to have much in the way of tans?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 5:57 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I've been to Vancouver in the "summer," and people were wearing heavy sweaters and coats.
Dude, you're crazy if you think that's the norm. Look at these pictures from mid October - there are people in them wearing t-shirts. It sounds to me like you were here during particularly unfortunate summer weather. Sadly when it comes to weather on the coast, unpredictability is often the name of the game. While there may be periods of poor weather, there are also nice heat waves from time to time like the one we had in early July this year that shattered former temperature records.

Here is a small image with some of the temperatures. Unfortunately I couldn't find a larger version. Note both White Rock (southern edge of Metro Vancouver) and Victoria... very impressive considering they're right on the water (I guess Squamish would be in that boat too). More than hot enough for the Wreck Beach crowd I'm sure. Also take note of Cloverdale - it's a neighbourhood in the city of Surrey, the second largest city in Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 6:20 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
It made it to 30 degrees precisely never in Vancouver between 2003 and 2007, according to their stats. There were only about 3 or 4 days with temps above 25 degrees (the absolute minimum for swimming for me, never mind completely disrobing out of doors) for either of those two months.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

It's best to keep in mind that stats don't always accurately reflect all aspects of the local climatology. Most locals will attest it gets hotter than that here. There is one major reason for this... official temperature stats are recorded in the shade... hence measuring the air temperature through heat convection. However once in direct sunlight (where most people tend to enjoy being in the summer) temperature increases due to the radiative heat of the sun - a missing component in official stats. The effect is more exaggerated in Vancouver because it doesn't have humid summers. Cities which are humid in the summer (ie cities back east) have less temperature variation between shade and sunlight. This can create the effect of surface temperatures (ie skin) to be several degrees hotter in low humidity - hence why people actually do go to the beach here in the summer and why at Wreck Beach they are quite comfortable being nude.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 6:35 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Would this explain why people in Vancouver beach photos don't seem to have much in the way of tans?
Observe...

April:

August:

October:

There are many people that go outside without shirts etc for months and months in Vancouver. If they're not tanned then it clearly isn't because they're not out enjoying the nice weather and sunshine as these photos show.

Unless of course you think that this is a one-day-event per year...?

Obviously people get tans but we're still no Miami.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 7:44 AM
The True Avatar

At least the park has nice scenery.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:19 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ The internet, folks!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 8:02 AM

I came in here to see some nudity, but I didn't get any. So are you kidding me? Ruining my weekend mood...seriously

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferywinkler View Post
This is such a huge obvious error, I can't believe that no one has corrected it.

Wreck Beach is NOT a "nude beach"!!!!!!!!!!!

Get this through your skull. I will say it again.

Wreck Beach is NOT a "nude beach"!!!!!!!!!!!

Wreck Beach is a clothing optional beach!

That is a HUGE HUGE infinite difference!

On a nude beach, nudity is REQUIRED!!!!!!

On a clothing optional beach, nudity is ALLOWED but NOT REQUIRED!!!!!!

I have been to Wreck Beach many times, and 95% of people there, including myself, are fully dressed. I would never go to a nude beach because I would never take my clothes off in front of other people. I am from California, and there are no "clothing optional" beaches in California. It would not have been possible for me to see a girl in the nude before I arrived in Vancouver, since I would never go to a nude beach, and there are no nude girls on normal beaches. When I arrived in Vancouver in 2016, when I was 45 years old, I had never in my life seen a girl in the nude. In the three years since then, I have probably seen several hundreds girls totally nude! There are always ten times as many topless girls as nude girls. Unfortunately, I have to constantly close my eyes to avoid seeing nude men which is gross and offensive.

screen name checks out!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos