HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Thanks Dominion, very thorough and informative! For some reason I love aircraft rotation schedules, it's like a puzzle fitting it all together. A couple years ago I tried to do it for AC's widebody fleet out of YVR, just based on arrival and departure times and matching aircraft that seemed to make sense, but I have no idea if it was even remotely correct. It was all fun until I couldn't get the flights to balance and I had a spare plane here, and a missing plane there, and the equipment didn't line up, so I gave up lol. But was a fun attempt

Does anyone know if AC's YVR-LHR is one of the 450-seat sardine can 777s? Or is just the regular 400 seat? The 450-seater seems way too intense for me, I am not super tall or large even, but I wouldn't want to be that squished in basic economy for that long. I once was on it (not knowingly) from YYZ to YVR, and that was bad enough, but to London? No thanks

This sounds brutal for locals:

'Go home': Overtourism sparks backlash in Spain

Madrid (AFP) – Anti-tourism movements are multiplying in Spain, the world's second most visited country, prompting authorities to try and reconcile the interests of locals and the lucrative sector.

Issued on: 16/04/2024 - 11:45
Modified: 16/04/2024 - 16:46
3 min

Rallying under the slogan "The Canaries have a limit", a collective of groups on the archipelago off northwest Africa are planning a slew of protests on Saturday.

The Canaries are known for volcanic landscapes and year-round sunshine and attracts millions of visitors from all over the world.

Groups there want authorities to halt work on two new hotels on Tenerife, the largest and most developed of the archipelago's seven islands.

They are also demanding that locals be given a greater say in the face of what they consider uncontrolled development which is harming the environment.

Several members of the collective "Canaries Sold Out" also began an "indefinite" hunger strike last week to put pressure of the authorities.

"Our islands are a treasure that must be defended," the collective said.

The Canaries received 16 million visitors last year, more than seven times its population of around 2.2 million people.

This is an unsustainable level given the archipelago's limited resources, Victor Martin, a spokesman for the collective told a recent press briefing, calling it a "suicidal growth model".

'Social revulsion'

Similar anti-tourism movements have sprung up elsewhere in Spain and are active on social media.

In the southern port of Malaga on the Costa del Sol, a centre of Spain's decades-old "soy y playa" or "sun and beach" tourism model, stickers with unfriendly slogans such as "This used to be my home" and "Go home" have appeared on the walls and doors of tourist accommodations.

A couple uses a selfie stick to take a picture next to a banner warning tourists about a drought alert in Catalonia
A couple uses a selfie stick to take a picture next to a banner warning tourists about a drought alert in Catalonia © PAU BARRENA / AFP
In Barcelona and the Balearic Islands, activists have put up fake signs at the entrances to some popular beaches warning in English of the risk of "falling rocks" or "dangerous jellyfish".

Locals complain a rise in accommodation listings on short-term rental platforms such as Airbnb have worsened a housing shortage and caused rents to soar, especially in town centres.

The influx of tourists also adds to noise and environmental pollution and taxes resources such as water, they add.

In the northeastern region of Catalonia, which declared a drought emergency in February, anger is growing over the pressure exerted on depleted water reserves by hotels on the Costa Brava.

"Our concern is to continue to grow tourism in Spain so that it is sustainable and does not generate social revulsion," the vice president of tourism association Exceltur, Jose Luis Zoreda, told a news conference on Tuesday when asked about the protest movements.

The group said it expects Spain's tourism sector will post record revenues of 202.65 billion euros ($215.4 billion) this year.

Loudspeaker ban

Before the Covid-19 pandemic brought the global travel industry to its knees in 2020, protest movements against overtourism had already emerged in Spain, especially in Barcelona.

Now that pandemic travel restrictions have been lifted, tourism is back with a vengeance -- Spain welcomed a record 85.1 million foreign visitors last year.

In response, several cities have taken measures to try to limit overcrowding.

The northern seaside city of San Sebastian last month limited the size of tourist groups in the centre to 25 people and banned the use of loudspeakers during guided tours.

The southern city of Seville is mulling charging non-residents a fee to enter its landmark Plaza de Espana while Barcelona had removed a bus route popular with tourists from Google Maps to try to make more room for locals.

Housing Minister Isabel Rodriguez said over the weekend that "action needs to be taken to limit the number of tourist flats" but stressed the government is "aware of the importance of the tourist sector", which accounts for 12.8 percent of Spain's economic activity.

I have always heard stories of the Spanish beach resorts just being incredibly intense with the sheer amount of foreign holidaymakers (Benidorm basically elicits a "cringe" response from people in the UK even as a tacky, entirely British enclave in a foreign country). I went to Spain in 2007. Went to San Sebastian, and it was not over run with tourists. Went to Sevilla, Grenada, no problem. Even Madrid and Barcelona were not unbearable with tourists the way I experienced in Rome or Paris, for instance. But then we went to Mallorca and omg, that was an experience. Basically it is a colony of Northern Europe, with English, Dutch, and German language everywhere. And there were tons of places serving English, Dutch, and German food, sometimes alongside "local food", who knows how authentic they were for any cuisine. I don't know why, but for some reason it felt strange to see how much they cater to the tourist hordes. I am by no means a snob or some obnoxious travel purist, but the amount of places serving mostly German or Dutch food was shocking! I have always loved exploring local flavour, you usually find so many delicious things that you wouldn't get back home. I understand McDonalds being everywhere because it is truly international, it really isn't "American" food being served, it's just an international food offering that doesn't vary that much between countries. So I wasn't aghast at seeing them anywhere, and I admit I went there sometimes. But the amount of restaurants serving things like schnitzel, sauerkraut or currywurst was so weird. Like, you're on vacation, why are you eating that in Spain?! Now I do understand that some Europeans spend a significant amount of time there (ie. the entire fall/winter), rather than just a 7-day all inclusive or whatever. So maybe being there for months at a time they want a taste of home, but the amount of places doing it implied it was for more than just snowbirds. Sorry rant over, I just thought it was odd how obvious the origin-countries' culture was in a foreign country. I don't think I had any proper or good Spanish food while there (I'm sure if I had explored further out I could have found some great ones, but staying more or less in the tourist zone was so trippy, I could only imagine as a local).

The article doesn't mention Madrid, and from a few articles they all seem to focus on the beach destinations in the south, as well as Barcelon, the Balearic Islands (ie. Mallorca, Ibiza), and the Canary Islands. Air Canada is launching their new YUL-MAD service, hopefully Madrid isn't that bad for tourist overrun, and doesn't result in actual policies restricting flights/visitors. Maybe the Spanish government would be more willing to keep long haul frequencies and flights and instead target reductions on shorter haul intra-Europe flights, since it isn't North Americans, Africans, or Asians that are the main tourist segment.
Hey my pleasure about the PD aircraft rotations. PD's jet fleet is still small enough to be able to do so. Also being a single aircraft type, makes it way easier than AC or WS.

As for AC and the 77W 450ers, aren't the extra 50 seats nothing more than the fewer J and +Y seats and more Y seats? Seat pitch and width should be the same. They only difference would be a worse # pax/lav ratio.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 6:06 AM

https://www.waterlooairport.ca/Modul...4-6f3a2342c19f
Stockyards prepares for take-off at the Region of Waterloo International Airport (YKF) 2024Mar19
Quote:
Waterloo Region - The Region of Waterloo International Airport (YKF) is thrilled to welcome new food, beverage and retail provider Stockyards. Inspired by the people who make Waterloo Region what it is today, Stockyards celebrates everything the community has to offer. Construction of “Stockyards at YKF” is currently underway, and scheduled to open in late spring 2024. The space will feature a licensed sit down dining area, grab and go options and retail merchandise located within the departures lounge.
...Stockyards exceeded the RFP criteria by proposing a world-class airport dining experience, including the creation of YKF-branded coffee and light beer...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C59F4ijARAP/ @flyykf 2024Apr19
Quote:
Our 2024 summer destinations are here☀️!
This summer, #FlyFromHome to any of our #Canadian destinations with @flairairlines and @westjet ✈️
  • Abbotsford, BC
  • Calgary, AB
  • Charlottetown, PE
  • Deer Lake, NL
  • Edmonton, AB
  • Halifax, NS
  • St.Johns, NL
  • Vancouver, BC
  • Winnipeg, MB
Book your next adventure today!
Deer Lake video credit: Go Western Newfoundland
#YKF #FlyYKF #canadiantravel

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Thanks Dominion, very thorough and informative! For some reason I love aircraft rotation schedules, it's like a puzzle fitting it all together. A couple years ago I tried to do it for AC's widebody fleet out of YVR, just based on arrival and departure times and matching aircraft that seemed to make sense, but I have no idea if it was even remotely correct. It was all fun until I couldn't get the flights to balance and I had a spare plane here, and a missing plane there, and the equipment didn't line up, so I gave up lol. But was a fun attempt

Does anyone know if AC's YVR-LHR is one of the 450-seat sardine can 777s? Or is just the regular 400 seat? The 450-seater seems way too intense for me, I am not super tall or large even, but I wouldn't want to be that squished in basic economy for that long. I once was on it (not knowingly) from YYZ to YVR, and that was bad enough, but to London? No thanks

This sounds brutal for locals:

'Go home': Overtourism sparks backlash in Spain

Madrid (AFP) – Anti-tourism movements are multiplying in Spain, the world's second most visited country, prompting authorities to try and reconcile the interests of locals and the lucrative sector.

Issued on: 16/04/2024 - 11:45
Modified: 16/04/2024 - 16:46
3 min

Rallying under the slogan "The Canaries have a limit", a collective of groups on the archipelago off northwest Africa are planning a slew of protests on Saturday.

The Canaries are known for volcanic landscapes and year-round sunshine and attracts millions of visitors from all over the world.

Groups there want authorities to halt work on two new hotels on Tenerife, the largest and most developed of the archipelago's seven islands.

They are also demanding that locals be given a greater say in the face of what they consider uncontrolled development which is harming the environment.

Several members of the collective "Canaries Sold Out" also began an "indefinite" hunger strike last week to put pressure of the authorities.

"Our islands are a treasure that must be defended," the collective said.

The Canaries received 16 million visitors last year, more than seven times its population of around 2.2 million people.

This is an unsustainable level given the archipelago's limited resources, Victor Martin, a spokesman for the collective told a recent press briefing, calling it a "suicidal growth model".

'Social revulsion'

Similar anti-tourism movements have sprung up elsewhere in Spain and are active on social media.

In the southern port of Malaga on the Costa del Sol, a centre of Spain's decades-old "soy y playa" or "sun and beach" tourism model, stickers with unfriendly slogans such as "This used to be my home" and "Go home" have appeared on the walls and doors of tourist accommodations.

A couple uses a selfie stick to take a picture next to a banner warning tourists about a drought alert in Catalonia
A couple uses a selfie stick to take a picture next to a banner warning tourists about a drought alert in Catalonia © PAU BARRENA / AFP
In Barcelona and the Balearic Islands, activists have put up fake signs at the entrances to some popular beaches warning in English of the risk of "falling rocks" or "dangerous jellyfish".

Locals complain a rise in accommodation listings on short-term rental platforms such as Airbnb have worsened a housing shortage and caused rents to soar, especially in town centres.

The influx of tourists also adds to noise and environmental pollution and taxes resources such as water, they add.

In the northeastern region of Catalonia, which declared a drought emergency in February, anger is growing over the pressure exerted on depleted water reserves by hotels on the Costa Brava.

"Our concern is to continue to grow tourism in Spain so that it is sustainable and does not generate social revulsion," the vice president of tourism association Exceltur, Jose Luis Zoreda, told a news conference on Tuesday when asked about the protest movements.

The group said it expects Spain's tourism sector will post record revenues of 202.65 billion euros ($215.4 billion) this year.

Loudspeaker ban

Before the Covid-19 pandemic brought the global travel industry to its knees in 2020, protest movements against overtourism had already emerged in Spain, especially in Barcelona.

Now that pandemic travel restrictions have been lifted, tourism is back with a vengeance -- Spain welcomed a record 85.1 million foreign visitors last year.

In response, several cities have taken measures to try to limit overcrowding.

The northern seaside city of San Sebastian last month limited the size of tourist groups in the centre to 25 people and banned the use of loudspeakers during guided tours.

The southern city of Seville is mulling charging non-residents a fee to enter its landmark Plaza de Espana while Barcelona had removed a bus route popular with tourists from Google Maps to try to make more room for locals.

Housing Minister Isabel Rodriguez said over the weekend that "action needs to be taken to limit the number of tourist flats" but stressed the government is "aware of the importance of the tourist sector", which accounts for 12.8 percent of Spain's economic activity.

I have always heard stories of the Spanish beach resorts just being incredibly intense with the sheer amount of foreign holidaymakers (Benidorm basically elicits a "cringe" response from people in the UK even as a tacky, entirely British enclave in a foreign country). I went to Spain in 2007. Went to San Sebastian, and it was not over run with tourists. Went to Sevilla, Grenada, no problem. Even Madrid and Barcelona were not unbearable with tourists the way I experienced in Rome or Paris, for instance. But then we went to Mallorca and omg, that was an experience. Basically it is a colony of Northern Europe, with English, Dutch, and German language everywhere. And there were tons of places serving English, Dutch, and German food, sometimes alongside "local food", who knows how authentic they were for any cuisine. I don't know why, but for some reason it felt strange to see how much they cater to the tourist hordes. I am by no means a snob or some obnoxious travel purist, but the amount of places serving mostly German or Dutch food was shocking! I have always loved exploring local flavour, you usually find so many delicious things that you wouldn't get back home. I understand McDonalds being everywhere because it is truly international, it really isn't "American" food being served, it's just an international food offering that doesn't vary that much between countries. So I wasn't aghast at seeing them anywhere, and I admit I went there sometimes. But the amount of restaurants serving things like schnitzel, sauerkraut or currywurst was so weird. Like, you're on vacation, why are you eating that in Spain?! Now I do understand that some Europeans spend a significant amount of time there (ie. the entire fall/winter), rather than just a 7-day all inclusive or whatever. So maybe being there for months at a time they want a taste of home, but the amount of places doing it implied it was for more than just snowbirds. Sorry rant over, I just thought it was odd how obvious the origin-countries' culture was in a foreign country. I don't think I had any proper or good Spanish food while there (I'm sure if I had explored further out I could have found some great ones, but staying more or less in the tourist zone was so trippy, I could only imagine as a local).

The article doesn't mention Madrid, and from a few articles they all seem to focus on the beach destinations in the south, as well as Barcelon, the Balearic Islands (ie. Mallorca, Ibiza), and the Canary Islands. Air Canada is launching their new YUL-MAD service, hopefully Madrid isn't that bad for tourist overrun, and doesn't result in actual policies restricting flights/visitors. Maybe the Spanish government would be more willing to keep long haul frequencies and flights and instead target reductions on shorter haul intra-Europe flights, since it isn't North Americans, Africans, or Asians that are the main tourist segment.
I spent five weeks in Andalucia this winter. I was struck by the heavy crowds in Malaga (in what I thought of as off season). Ronda was also packed. Since I get around by local public transit, I noticed how often buses were packed with (mostly older) foreigners to the point that locals, including mothers with strollers, etc, were left behind by packed buses. I could see that sort of thing breeding resentment. There were also many stories of Spaniards being priced out of the housing market and being obliged to move out to villages within commuting distance of the city.

Since the economy, especially in Andalucia and the Canaries, is so heavily dependent on tourism, I'm not sure what the remedy could be, but it is becoming less and less pleasant to visit an increasing number of European destinations. You expect crowds in London and Paris, but Lisbon, Barcelona, Venice, Dubrovnik, etc, etc are all being crushed under the weight of visitors, istm.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 7:19 PM

^ No more off season for a lot of these destinations.

TS has been serving YUL-Malaga year round for a while now. And AC is year round on YUL-BCN as well. There is a reason for it.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Apr 22, 2024 at 8:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 1:48 AM

I haven't been anywhere in Europe during the summer for a number of years now. I can't imagine what the crowds must be like.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 6:07 PM

WS/KE have announced an expanded codeshare agreement. WS will add its code on 6 destinations via ICN including BKK, DAD, SGN, HAN, HKG and SIN.

KE will also add its code on WS YYC-ICN-YYC. The only other WS long haul that a partner codeshares on is LHR with VS.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I haven't been anywhere in Europe during the summer for a number of years now. I can't imagine what the crowds must be like.
Yeah I like to go around this time of year when it's not as crowded and not too hot, like I'm doing next week. Looking forward to my first ride on an A350 - YOW-CDG.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 6:50 PM

Quote:
I spent five weeks in Andalucia this winter. I was struck by the heavy crowds in Malaga (in what I thought of as off season). Ronda was also packed. Since I get around by local public transit, I noticed how often buses were packed with (mostly older) foreigners to the point that locals, including mothers with strollers, etc, were left behind by packed buses. I could see that sort of thing breeding resentment. There were also many stories of Spaniards being priced out of the housing market and being obliged to move out to villages within commuting distance of the city.

Since the economy, especially in Andalucia and the Canaries, is so heavily dependent on tourism, I'm not sure what the remedy could be, but it is becoming less and less pleasant to visit an increasing number of European destinations. You expect crowds in London and Paris, but Lisbon, Barcelona, Venice, Dubrovnik, etc, etc are all being crushed under the weight of visitors, istm.
Yes, without Tourism about 35% of the Canaries economy vanishes. Add in construction and that's another big chunk. Partly one of the reasons I'm not super sympathetic when people complain about airfares being "too high". The planet can't take everyone affording to travel around the globe by air.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 11:31 PM

Looks like TK applied (and got approval) for extra bilateral authority for daily service to YYZ from May 1 to Sept 30.

Interesting read. Didn't know about the restrictions in the bilateral (Ontario/Manitoba border split). Also never knew the GTAA cared so much about YUL.

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2024-45

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Apr 22, 2024 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:06 PM

@thenoflyzone, YQB have finally published their 2023 pax numbers.

1,688,736 passengers in 2023, 43.8% more than in 2022.

Traffic recovered to 94% of 2019.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...860079254.html

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Ultimately, I suspect many of these places are going to crank up taxes on the visitors.

Venice is a tourist attraction, not a city anymore.

Does one want fewer, but more wealthy visitors who are spending more dollars/euros, or the masses who are there to get drunk in the sun as cheaply as possible?

A lot of these places aren't Caribbean-level countries lacking for other options for their economies. Spain and Italy are developed countries. Squeezing the Limeys for a few quid more to attempt to keep the most obnoxious ones out is a strategy.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Ultimately, I suspect many of these places are going to crank up taxes on the visitors.

Venice is a tourist attraction, not a city anymore.

Does one want fewer, but more wealthy visitors who are spending more dollars/euros, or the masses who are there to get drunk in the sun as cheaply as possible?

A lot of these places aren't Caribbean-level countries lacking for other options for their economies. Spain and Italy are developed countries. Squeezing the Limeys for a few quid more to attempt to keep the most obnoxious ones out is a strategy.
Venice is kind of the poster child, since most of the tourists are day trippers.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
@thenoflyzone, YQB have finally published their 2023 pax numbers.

1,688,736 passengers in 2023, 43.8% more than in 2022.

Traffic recovered to 94% of 2019.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...860079254.html
Thanks. I had my eye on that annual meeting for a few days now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...in_Canada#2023

Getting close to YYJ's numbers. Eventually they will claim 11th spot. Might take another couple of years though. It would help if AF goes year round, like at YOW.

They're not expecting much growth this year. No doubt due to AC pulling out of their winter sun routes. Wouldn't hurt if those came back as well.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Thanks. I had my eye on that annual meeting for a few days now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...in_Canada#2023

Getting close to YYJ's numbers. Eventually they will claim 11th spot. Might take another couple of years though. It would help if AF goes year round, like at YOW.

They're not expecting much growth this year. No doubt due to AC pulling out of their winter sun routes. Wouldn't hurt if those came back as well.
I don't think AF will go year-round to YQB anytime soon, especially with TS year-round. Also, didn't AF shorten the YQB route's season by about 6 weeks this summer but on the flip size upgauged to the mammoth 77W HD? That indicates an extreme peak season for YQB-France at the height of the summer season.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 2:37 PM

Here's YOW's March pax stats:

Sector / Mar-23 / Mar-24 / % Change
Dom: 236,313 / 225,850 / -4.4%
TB: 55,960 / 90,763 / +62.2% - beats the 2012 and the previous all-time record of 86,974
Int'l: 55,861 / 71,824 / +28.6% - highest March ever total beating 2013's total of 71,001
TTL: 348,134 / 388,437 / +11.6% - around circa 2007-2009's March total ('07 was 371,941, '08 was 397,401, '09 was 380,967)

Sector / YTD 2023 / YTD 2024 / % Change
Dom: 641,625 / 632,988 / -1.3% - PD's increases weren't able to offset WS, AC & F8's decreases...the latter down to zero.
TB: 147,455 / 239,572 / +62.5%
Int'l: 162,241 / 211,856 / +30.6%
TTL: 951,321 / 1,084,416 / +14.0% - after Q1, currently on pace for 4.67 million pax

12 Months Rolling / % Change vs Year End 2022
Dom: 3,194,262 / +17.9%
TB: 668,250 / +251.1%
Int'l: 366,497 / +264.1%
TTL: 4,229,009 / +41.0%

March % of traffic recovered vs 2019 / YTD recovered vs 2019
Dom: 71.2% / 73.0% - I wonder how much of this is reduced Toronto-Ottawa day trips. Bet it's huge.
TB: 114.0% / 111.7%
Int'l: 108.8% / 111.8%
TTL: 83.9% / 85.3%

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 4:27 PM

YWG's Q1 2024 stats:

January:
Sector Jan-23 / Jan-24 / % Change
Dom: 231,084 / 235,857 / +2.1%
TB: 26,894 / 34,600 / +28.7%
Int'l: 37,130 / 43,862 / +18.1%
TTL: 295,108 / 314,319 / +6.5%

February:
Sector / Feb-23 / Feb-24 / % Change
Dom: 226,030 / 231,942 / +2.6%
TB: 26,319 / 39,038 / +48.3%
Int'l: 33,056 / 43,573 / +31.8%
TTL: 285,405 / 314,553 / +10.2%

March:
Sector / Mar-23 / Mar-24 / % Change
Dom: 262,394 / 244,929 / -6.7%
TB: 34,224 / 47,630 / +39.2%
Int'l: 32,447 / 44,186 / +36.2%
TTL: 329,065 / 336,745 / +2.3%

Q1 2024 vs 2023:
Sector / YTD 2023 / YTD 2024 / % Change
Dom: 719,508 / 712,728 / -0.9%
TB: 87,437 / 121,268 / +38.7%
Int'l: 102,633 / 131,621 / +28.2%
TTL: 909,578 / 965,617 / +6.2% - YWG is currently on pace to handle 4.35 million pax in 2024.

12 Months Rolling / % Change vs Year End 2022
Dom: 3,601,142 / +28.8%
TB: 354,715 / +115.1%
Int'l: 194,975 / +176.6%
TTL: 4,150,832 / +36.9%

March % of traffic recovered vs 2019 / YTD vs 2019
Dom: 81.9% / 84.2%
TB: 91.5% / 84.1%
Int'l: 92.1% / 92.5%
TTL: 84.4% / 85.2%

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 2:27 AM

United has loaded SFO-YUL seasonally starting July 1st.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexcaban View Post
United has loaded SFO-YUL seasonally starting July 1st.

From zero UA mainline service to now 3 destinations: ORD, EWR and SFO.

Redeye eastbound, day trip westbound. Clearly timed to optimise connections over SFO.

PD starts YUL-SFO 3 days prior. Not the same timings, obviously, but maybe they're trying to push them out of the market, as a bonus.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Apr 27, 2024 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 2:44 PM

The assumption internally is due to crew / aircraft shortages on AC’s end, thus they are relying on UA to help with feed to the Canadian hubs until AC can get more aircraft.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemustbeaboss View Post
The assumption internally is due to crew / aircraft shortages on AC’s end, thus they are relying on UA to help with feed to the Canadian hubs until AC can get more aircraft.
That sounds possible. Is UA replacing an AC flight or augmenting? 15 years ago, YUL-SFO was only a seasonal route. Pretty amazing the capacity there is nowadays.

PD I would expect to be daily in summer eventually with YOW-SFO coming in the next 2 years.

Speaking of PD, their new hangars are just about done at YOW with Porter signage just added in the past couple of weeks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada