HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Television City Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 9:46 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nyobserver.com/node/35866

Riverside South Goes French

Matthew Schuerman
March 15, 2007

After years in which one architect--Costas Kondylis--has dominated the 13-block-long Riverside South development, the new kid in town, Gary Barnett (Extell Development), has commissioned the Pritzker Prize-winning French architect Christian de Portzamparc to design the next three buildings, according to George Arzt, a spokesman for the developer.

Monsieur de Portzamparc's Web site says the program consists of three buildings with 3.2 million square feet of office, hotel and residential space between 59th Street and 61st Street.

Well, that's the proposal. Mr. Arzt says a rezoning proposal will go to the Department of City Planning in a few weeks--and it doesn't sound like it will be the easiest rezoning.

According to figures from the Coalition for a Livable West Side, that amount would represent about 35 percent more built space than that envisioned under the original Riverside South master plan.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 9:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Image of the current buildings, from wikipedia.org

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 10:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Pics taken from the Circle Line over the past couple of years...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 12:23 AM
World Machine

Thanks for those pics NYguy.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 5:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I am kinda glad the original proposal never went through (I recall how excited I was when it was first tabled in the mid 80's), as it does not fit in whatsoever with the urban fabric that makes NYC the greatest city in the world.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 7:54 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am kinda glad the original proposal never went through (I recall how excited I was when it was first tabled in the mid 80's), as it does not fit in whatsoever with the urban fabric that makes NYC the greatest city in the world.
Your right. And after reading what you said, looking back at the model, and then looking at whats there now, I can say that the layout is not something you would typically see in Manhattan.

However, I would've still liked to see it get built.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 8:45 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Your right. And after reading what you said, looking back at the model, and then looking at whats there now, I can say that the layout is not something you would typically see in Manhattan.

However, I would've still liked to see it get built.
that original plan looks like dubai.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 2:43 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post

-
Yes.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post

Yes, but it was pre-Dubai. It's what Dubai is today, a proposal from 80's New York.

But if built, it would have been no different than the WTC standing today,
had it not been destroyed. However, it's still a unique site for Manhattan.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 12:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Ahh, the good old days...
http://www.nysun.com/article/67277

UWS Group Asks Judge To Block Development

By SARAH PORTLOCK
November 30, 2007

A community group is asking a state judge to prevent the development corporation Extell from going through with its new project along the Upper West Side on grounds it violates a 12-year old design agreement about the land, according to a lawsuit filed yesterday in New York State Supreme Court.

Designs for the building at 80 Riverside Blvd., located in the Riverside South complex, include more glass than the original design guidelines permit, according to the suit, which was filed against Extell by the nonprofit organization Riverside South Planning Corporation. The suit further charges that Extell has not sought the planning corporation board's approval before its construction and it has not calculated the building's energy efficiency.

A spokesman for Extell said he had not seen the lawsuit and could not comment.

Donald Trump originally owned the property, located between Eleventh Avenue and the Hudson River between West 59th and 72nd streets, and built several towers there in the early 1990s.

When he first purchased the land to create Riverside South, the local community was outraged and in order to secure community and government approval for his plan, Mr. Trump agreed to a series of binding design construction agreements in 1993. The agreement included a stipulation that if Mr. Trump sold the property, its new owners would also be subject to the design guidelines.

When Hudson Waterfront Associates purchased the land in 1994, it abided by the guidelines, the suit says. Extell then purchased the land from Hudson in 2005.

The development plan focuses on environmental sustainability and design criteria for buildings and open spaces.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 11:58 PM
New Yorker for life

The final story of this one is being written...(quotes from Gary Barnett of Extell)
http://www.observer.com/2007/sit-dow...ion?page=0%2C1

What’s the status of the Riverside South development?

That’s going extraordinarily well. Basically we’re continuing and upgrading the development that’s gone on before us

The southernmost section—that would require city approvals. At what point will that proceed?

We are working with City Planning, and are in discussions with elected officials and the community board, and we are hoping to start that process very shortly.

What do you think of the city’s land-use review process?

I think that we, as well as other developers, have found it to be a reasonable process. We would all hope it went much quicker, there’s no question about that.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 4:56 AM
New Yorker for life

This one should be moved to the never built, the original tower of 150 stories, 1670 ft, and 1,910 ft spire/antenna.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 1:54 PM

This one looked like it could have worked out.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 2:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
This one looked like it could have worked out.
This one should have worked out, but the Trump/Koch/NBC war doomed it. To make matters worse, I've lost all of the information I got from the Trump Organization on it, which included lots of photos and renderings. The rendering was much better looking than the model.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 9:23 PM

What a shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Original and later proposal...

A beautiful classic supertall design . An outrageous shame it was never built

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 8:05 AM
Registirred User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

I think I'd have to agree. While what sits on the site now looks artificial and a little tacky (though not bad), I would take it over Trumps proposal. It just didn't seem New York like. As for the idea of NBC leaving its rainbow room studios at Rockefeller, I can only shudder.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 2:42 PM

How many bars do YOU have?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 5:20 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2008/real-es...de-development

Extell Eyeing Costco For Giant Upper West Side Development

by Eliot Brown
July 25, 2008

Extell Development is in talks with discount bulk retailer Costco to occupy a large underground store as part of a new 3.3 million-square-foot development of mostly residential buildings on the Upper West Side.

Extell, led by Gary Barnett, is seeking to move forward on developing the last parcels of Riverside South, the 55-acre swath of Upper West Side land known as Trump City when Donald Trump first started planning the complex in the 1980s. The company's plans for the final parcels between 59th and 61st streets would need approval of the City Council and City Planning Commission, as the firm is seeking to change the initial restrictions to allow for more density and different uses (the original development planned for a commercial tower for NBC at the site).

As a national big-box retailer with no stores in Manhattan, the prospect of a Costco at the development--which would take up about 150,000 square feet--seems prone to controversy, and indeed it was discussed at length at a meeting between Extell (and a string of consultants and lobbyists) and members of the local community board Wednesday night. Extell also wanted 2,300 parking spaces in the complex.

"The community will be greatly affected by a placement of a Costco," said Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal, who represents the area. "I'm afraid it's going to bring a lot of increased vehicular traffic."

And while Ms. Rosenthal said she had yet to take a firm position on the prospect of a big-box retailer, another area elected official was more direct:

"I certainly do not support the Costco or anything like it," said Councilwoman Gale Brewer in a phone message.

A spokesman for Extell, George Arzt, said that the plan for the site was still "a work in progress. "We want to work with the community board and the neighborhood," he said.

The planned Christian de Portzamparc-designed development will likely heat up in coming months as Extell hopes to start early stages of the public review in the fall.
For now, the developer has been meeting occasionally with a community board committee on the topic.

Though, at least for the meeting Wednesday, the community board--which holds public meetings, many of which are subject to the Open Meetings Law--did not announce the event on its Web site or to the public. This lack of a notice drew ire from the elected officials representing the area, who found out about the meeting at the last minute.

"Basically, I expect all the meetings the community board would hold to be on the Web site," Ms. Rosenthal said. "All of these kinds of bodies' meetings are open to the public, so if the public doesn't know abut them, they can't attend."

Community Board 7 chairwoman Helen Rosenthal (no relation), who co-chairs the committee on Riverside South, said that the meetings now are generally aimed at informing members of the community board about the project before the public review begins in the fall.

"The purpose of the meeting was for the working group, that is just trying to understand what the issues are, to wrap our arms around that," she said. "We will be having public hearings about this in the fall, and we're anxious to hear from the community as to what their feelings are."

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 6:08 PM

im glad this didnt get built it was ugly IMO

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 9:30 PM
don't *meddle*...

I think it's a great loss. This building would have set new standards in New York.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects