HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 3:03 AM

damn this is great,but why all the news all of a sudden?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 3:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
damn this is great,but why all the news all of a sudden?
A sign that things are warming up.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 6:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://ny.therealdeal.com/articles/d...son-yards-park

Demo contracts near for Hudson Yards park

545 West 34th Street

By Adam Pincus
12/08/08

The city is moving forward with demolition to clear the way for a new four-acre park and boulevard as well as the entrance for the new terminal station for the No. 7 train for the massive Hudson Yards redevelopment project on Manhattan's West Side.

The city is expected to award its first contracts this week to raze two buildings on two large parcels spanning from 34th to 36th streets, and 10th to 11th avenues, which will become part of the new Hudson Boulevard and park.

And a block to the south, the city is seeking bids that are due Friday for the demolition of the former FedEx World Service Center building at 528-556 West 34th Street, to make way for the entrance to the No. 7 train on 33rd Street. ...

Hudson Boulevard and the park comprise a mid-block open space that is planned to run from 33rd to 39th streets between 10th and 11th avenues, and be lined with large office and residential towers. The first phase of the park and boulevard, from 33rd to 36th streets, is slated to be completed in 2013. A design team is expected to be named in the next several weeks, city officials said....

The three buildings that are coming down are a six-story, red brick residential building at 545 West 34th Street, and a seven-story commercial building at 524-542 West 36th Street, both between 10th and 11th avenues, in addition to the FedEx building.....

David Farber, vice president and general counsel at the Hudson Yards Development Corporation, wrote in an email: "The park and boulevard remain on schedule to be completed in 2013, and therefore we must go ahead with that demolition work...."
Has the FedEx building, in fact, been demolished? I never go around this area.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 9:37 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, that's gone. Extell cleared the site a while ago.

Quote:
more shots from last week

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 1:50 AM
BANNED

Thanks for the update. This boulevard will be awesome.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 2:56 AM
TL;DR

The boulevard could really make this area into a supercharged version of Rockefeller Center, by making the city grid much more pedestrian-friendly.

I wonder if it will eventually inspire the same sentimentality that New Yorkers feel towards Rockefeller Center?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 3:15 AM
BANNED

It is truly amazing how much development will occur in this area.

It's a matter of time before all of the crap on the north side of this block is gone and replaced with new towers. (The one nice building, to my knowlege, is being razed since it's in the path of the new boulevard.)

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 3:17 PM
New Yorker for life

I haven't been over there myself in a while. I think we're all due for a visual update.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 9:46 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...orthy-projects

Will Related stay on track with Hudson Yards?

January 01, 2011
By C. J. Hughes

Quote:
Community outrage derailed plans for a Jets Stadium at Hudson Yards; later, the recession slowed other sweeping mixed-use development schemes. But there are small signs of progress at the yards, a 26-acre railroad site controlled by the Related Companies and Canada's Oxford Properties.

At the end of the year, Related began demolishing a 6,000-square-foot industrial structure to make way for a 1.4 million-square-foot office and apartment tower, the Wall Street Journal reported. Related may be under the gun: It must start paying rent to site owner Metropolitan Transit Authority once the city office market hits an 11 percent vacancy rate, the Journal noted.

At the same time, work has begun on "Hudson Boulevard," a new midblock street that will run from West 42nd to the site, which abuts West 33rd Street. That's according to Bob Benfatto, district manager of Community Board 4, which is reviewing proposals for playgrounds, park benches and gardens that will line the new thoroughfare.

But Related's would-be office tenants might be caught in a tug-of-war. Developer Joseph Moinian has said his plans for a new 1.6 million-square-foot office tower nearby on 11th Avenue are finally moving forward.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 9:51 PM
World Machine

Could it be a case of too much too soon in terms of flooding the market with new office space?

When you also factor in 15 Penn and Manhattan West the competition becomes even steeper.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 11:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Could it be a case of too much too soon in terms of flooding the market with new office space?

When you also factor in 15 Penn and Manhattan West the competition becomes even steeper.
Neither of those towers (including 15 Penn) will be built without tenants. The two Hudson Yards towers are also mixed-use, with residential space at the top.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 11:55 PM

]
Quote:
Hudson Yards residential site sells for $18.7M
January 03, 2011 06:00PM

A development site located inside the Hudson Yards redevelopment area at 431-439 West 37th Street has sold for $18.7 million, according to commercial real estate services firm Holliday Fenoglio Fowler, which represented the buyer, an LLC called Jackson Development. The site will likely be used for a 12-story, 110,700-square-foot luxury residential building, according to the brokerage. It was not immediately clear when Jackson Development will break ground on the site, located between Ninth and 10th avenues. Holliday Fenoglio Fowler was not immediately available for further comment. Robert Knakal of Massey Knakal Realty Services was the exclusive broker for the seller. TRD
http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...on-development

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 7:03 AM
Everywhere all at once

It's funny....earlier I looked at the first few pages of the One WTC thread and I remember when we were excited about those few columns sticking out of the ground, and now look what we have going there. I feel a similar excitement now about this new district, and it is planned to be even larger than the new WTC! Ugh....FANTASTIC

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 5:40 PM

i think Sherwood Equities is still trying to get there tower built,yesterday i went down there and across the street from the McDonald's on 34th and 10th there was a sign that said "Sherwood Equities,leasing opportunities" right on the building next to the Sherwood Equities tower's site.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 10:18 PM
New Yorker for life

^ All of those areas will become prime sites now because we are quietly getting closer to the opening of the 7 line extension, connecting the area with the rest of the City transportation wise. That's the biggest news of anything happening there and will change that area forever.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 5:43 AM

Quote:
thats not an actual rendering its a conceptual rendering revealed by the NY times. no one knows what will go here we'll just have to wait a few years to see.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...ExtellFull.gif

God that Holl design was pure sex. It breaks my heart to know it won't ever be built. If he could have managed to make it interact with the streets around it, it would have been the Rockefeller Center of the 21st century.

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/41294/

http://sites.google.com/site/galleryrsu/skyscraper-building

http://sites.google.com/site/galleryrsu/skyscraper-building

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 5:48 AM
World Machine

Heh, I remember I freaked out when I first saw that Extell proposal, and not in a good way.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Heh, I remember I freaked out when I first saw that Extell proposal, and not in a good way.
same here in all honesty im not happy with anything thats been proposed for this site, i had high hopes when i heard so many prominent firms would be working together to gain a master site plan though all have failed to do so (in my opinion)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:15 PM
Ω

Quote:
I kind of liked it for the monumentality. Reminds me of Empire Plaza in Albany

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 11:42 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...%28NY+Local%29

New York to pay engineering firm to analyze extension of 7 train to New Jersey

BY Adam Lisberg
February 4th 2011

Quote:
New York will spend up to $250,000 to jump-start the idea of extending the 7 train all the way to Secaucus, N.J. - but New Jersey hasn't pitched in a dime.

The city hired engineering firm Parsons Brinckerhoff this week to analyze how many riders the line could serve, how they would connect to the NJTransit train hub in Secaucus and - most importantly - how much it would cost.

Their study is due in three months, which Deputy Mayor Robert Steel said will help show government and transportation agencies in the region whether to go forward.

"All of [them] are focused on trying to understand, is this a good alternative?" Steel said. "It's a matter of months, not years."

Other officials in New York and New Jersey are looking at the idea, but haven't put up any cash to make it happen.

It could give New Jersey residents their first direct train line to Grand Central Terminal, as well as to see the Mets or the U.S. Open in Queens.

"City Hall really does want to explore it," said one person involved in the multiagency talks.

"They have an incredibly reluctant MTA partner, and an incredibly wary New Jersey state government," the source cautioned. "[MTA Chairman] Jay Walder doesn't have enough money to finish what they're already doing."

The city is paying $2.1 billion to extend the 7 train to 34th St. and 11th Ave., where it will serve a massive office and housing development planned for the West Side rail yards.

Planners hope the 7 train could be routed under the Hudson River to Secaucus for as little as $5 billion, since the more expensive tunneling under Manhattan is already done.

They would also like to dig an extra stop for the 7 at 41st St. and 11th Ave. for $1 billion, which the city dropped from its plans to save money.

The idea came after New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie killed the $11 billion project to dig two new commuter train tunnels under the river to Penn Station, saying the Garden State couldn't afford it.

"We need to come up with a replacement," said Steven Spinola, head of the Real Estate Board of New York. "It's not going to happen unless the city continues to pursue it, and puts a little money in to help make it happen."

Parsons Brinckerhoff got the no-bid city contract because it also did studies for that tunnel, for the current 7 train extension and for the Secaucus train station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development