HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:05 PM

thanks once again GW. Do you know what the building is, in your above photo, with the two turrets? (well, one is actually a vent or cupola) At first I thought it might be a Russian Orthodox Church....now I'm thinking a residence.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Your 'chop suey' post made me smile FredH.

http://www.jmcvey.net/
__

This looks like Ruth's house:

Google Street View

Google Earth

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
'SC recently changed its format so that it is difficult to post higher resolution photos without stitching them together. I found myself playing with the zoom feature ("control" and "+" or "-" keys) and found the photos seemed to come together. I fear that unless everyone were to use the same monitor or monitor settings, posting larger images viewable by everyone will be hit or miss.

Even worse than the picture puzzles created by the new format is the fact that some old links either don't work or have disappeared. Look at some of the earlier postings and you may or may not see an image from SC. Trying to reedit the posts to include a "better" working link still has some kinks, as I have received several "oops missing image" messages.

hth
Zoom in ("command" and "+") also works on Safari to bring the photos together. Zoom out slices them back up. Bizarre.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 6:03 PM

Motor Cop Roll Call 1942

Roll call in the old Traffic Division at 123 N. Figueroa 1942. Tom Reddin, future Chief Of Police is seated on end, third row on right side of photo. [IMG][/IMG]

Photo from Sam Flowers Collection

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 9:31 PM

Downtown noirish modern

I guess the « residential style » stopped at the 1910's in Downtown. I don't recall seeing any later on Bunker Hill. By the 1920's, it seems it all moved West.
I spotted on a Youtube video (« Be a passenger in my car. See downtown los angeles volny ») 3 similar apartment complexes of the 1920's in Downtown (at Sunset & Figueroa, Bixel and Third and Bixel and Seventh) and wondered how they could be so well kept 90 years later !

panoramio.com

rentingtimecom.jpg

The answer is they are brand-new ! It is a deluxe 1920's composite, with a brown painting on the walls of the first floor (they liked brown very much in the Roaring...), their building has been controversial, they look « noirish » and they are ! : they're « notorious targets for property crimes ».
We all prefer Figueroa & Sunset in 1920 (already discussed on the thread) to 2012...

tumblr.com

lacurbedcom

...but I must admit I like thinking it becomes « classy » a century apart to live in Downtown (I include Sunset and Bixel Downtown, not caring of the 2 freeways as the borderline and remembering the old maps).

Last edited by AlvaroLegido; Feb 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
LAPL

The Hotel Aberdeen was at 310 N Broadway...where the Hall of Justice, seen under construction in 1925, is today. It was across B'way from the WCTU (which we've seen here before) at the NW corner of Temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
thanks once again GW. Do you know what the building is, in your above photo, with the two turrets? (well, one is actually a vent or cupola) At first I thought it might be a Russian Orthodox Church....now I'm thinking a residence.
__

You were right in thinking church... though not Russian Orthodox. That is the Broadway Christian Church, which was at one time headed by Benjamin F. Coulter, who also founded the department store. (Check out his connection to Berkeley Square here.)

USCDL

The church is the building at left in the picture below (in a shot we've seen here before, though I don't remember why); it is visible near center left in the second shot, just up from the white Broadway Hotel next to Court Flight (which is just to left of the top of the Times tower).

LAPL

LAPL

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 11:57 PM

T

Last edited by rbpjr; Dec 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Blimey e_r, I wouldn't live in the Sacatela Creek bed no matter how much they paid me. I don't care how many old Red Cars were dumped in it.

It's fun to see JMHS pre-landscaping. It became a favorite filming location after the lushness grew in.

The homes shown in this shot are still there:

2719hyperion
Since its the 48th anniversary of his killing and we are in the area of his house,I thought id might post the house where Sam Cooke lived,its on a very narrow street called Ames and is right down the way from JMHS.When i was living in La the owner saw me parked outside and gave me a mini tour of the grounds.They host the Sam Cooke Fan Club to tours of the interior of the house.

from jet.com

2408 Ames St findadeath.com

sam on the side of ames npr.org

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 3:33 AM

Barrington Plaza/Uni High/1932 Olympics/Kuruvungna Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpjr View Post
This image is one of the more enjoyable things I've seen this week. Thx for posting.

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder...so I reserve judgement...

I did rather wander off on one of my fine-art-consultant reveries rbpjr, but art, and I'd include this in that, is one of those "useless" things, like cut flowers, that we can't seem to do without or agree on either.

Slightly more to the point here is the juxtaposition between the overly-planned Barrington Plaza environment and the haphazard, developed-over-decades east campus of Uni, the haphazardness a result of the steep drop of the land making it difficult to find level building sites. (BTW, I was always told that the small buff-colored, green-roofed hut shown in the photo, was moved to campus from the 1932 Olympic Village, but I'm unable to confirm that. I'll bet GW would know.)

The state of Barrington Plaza is a reminder too, that, unless strictly maintained in as-new condition, modernism goes from fun to grim rather quickly. Also, the plaza level may have seemed like a good idea in the planning stages, but it, along with almost all plazas surrounding modern buildings, is out of scale with humans. They end up being slightly hostile, and therefore underused, environments that one must trudge (or scurry) across to get where one's going. The tiny humans clustered around the outdoor furniture in the photo look of no more consequence than the minute pin people stuck in an architectural model. One practically has an attack of agoraphobia just looking at them.

A further digression, which may be of some interest, is that the steepness of the site is why Kuruvungna Springs are where they are (the Upper Spring is out of shot to the right, the Lower Spring hidden behind Barrington Plaza's south tower). The Springs' source is under the Santa Monica Mountains. They flow south, relatively close to the surface, before popping out where the land drops away as they have done since forever. This unfortunately leaves them vulnerable to development to the north.

In the early 90's, a developer got hold of the SW corner of Barrington and Wilshire, planning to build a huge tower with nine levels of underground parking, which would have necessitated diverting the springs into the storm-drain system at that point, leaving the on-campus Kuruvungna Village site without its reason for being. The Indians waged a two-year fight through many hearings at City Hall before successfully stopping the project. A Uni employee, a Vice-Principal, if I remember correctly what I was told, actually testified (supposedly at the behest of the developer) at one of the hearings that the Springs weren't springs at all, but just a couple of broken pipes and that the Indians were waywardly pesky and probably only Mexicans anyway.

The Indians' hard-won, 20-year lease on the village site expires in 2014. The developers are already circling. However, The Santa Monica Conservancy and various other powers-that-be in that city have relatively recently become interested in the Springs, as their city is named after a 19th-century appellation for them. That gives some welcome hope for the Springs, but their continued existence remains touch and go. I continually find it hard to believe, considering LA's ongoing moaning about the lack of history in these parts, that several thousand years worth might, even now, be tossed in the bin without a backward glance.

The pond at Kuruvungna Springs

Gabreilino Tongva Springs Foundation

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:36 AM

Quote:

Slightly more to the point here is the juxtaposition between the overly-planned Barrington Plaza environment and the haphazard, developed-over-decades east campus of Uni, the haphazardness a result of the steep drop of the land making it difficult to find level building sites. (BTW, I was always told that the small buff-colored, green-roofed hut shown in the photo, was moved to campus from the 1932 Olympic Village, but I'm unable to confirm that. I'll bet GW would know.)

a Vice-Principal, if I remember correctly what I was told, actually testified (supposedly at the behest of the developer) at one of the hearings that the Springs weren't springs at all, but just a couple of broken pipes and that the Indians were waywardly pesky and probably only Mexicans anyway.
wow,thats all i have to say,i wouldn't be surprised though.and as far as the bungalow building i heard that one of them towards the "H" areas was part of some fort near the coast,i never heard about the olympics being involved.I do know the building in question was moved a few years ago.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:38 AM

Quote:

Perhaps it was one of these...but that would have to be some pretty tough cardboard to last 80 years.

American Builder

ebay

ebay

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 6:16 AM

Kuruvungna/1932 Olympic Huts/Sam Cooke/Chinatown/Union Station/3rd & Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
wow,thats all i have to say,i wouldn't be surprised though.and as far as the bungalow building i heard that one of them towards the "H" areas was part of some fort near the coast,i never heard about the olympics being involved.I do know the building in question was moved a few years ago.
I think that ploy was probably a bridge too far and may have cinched it for the Indians. All's well that ends well (not that it's over). What "fort near the coast"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Perhaps it was one of these...but that would have to be some pretty tough cardboard to last 80 years.
Apparently there's a few still about (I know the one on Olvera St).
The hut at Uni is the right size, not that that proves anything:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...&pg=6764,64248

http://www.dctkd.org

Were the huts actually built in different styles? I always thought they were all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
Since its the 48th anniversary of his killing and we are in the area of his house,I thought id might post the house where Sam Cooke lived,its on a very narrow street called Ames and is right down the way from JMHS.
Is the house at 2408 Ames gone or remodeled? I couldn't find it :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
This billboard is curious. It obviously did not work out. I wonder what streets were on that diagram.

lapl
Wow, this one really tore me. The destruction of Chinatown and its Disneyfied
replacement was far from our finest hour, but I love Union Station beyond all reason.
It's worth traveling by train just to experience Union Station's "Welcome home" embrace:

cruisemaven

Five "Chop Suey" signs plus Union Station, 1937:

LAT

P.S.
Can anyone solve this for me? The 1883 gothic-style church at the NE corner of 3rd and Hill, which appears in so many photos, was supposed to have been moved to 925 S Flower in 1900 to make way for the new Conservative Life Building (both sites are now vacant). It remained there, as far as I know, until 1926, but I cannot locate a photo of it at the Flower St site (there were eight or nine churches tightly grouped in that area). It was supposed to have been remodeled after the move. I'm curious to see it.

usc digital archive

usc digital archive

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 3, 2015 at 3:22 PM. Reason: add P.S.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 2:24 PM

From what I can glean, the church was built in 1883 as the First Congregational Church, which then sold it to the Central (or First, per some sources) Baptist Church, which then sold it to the Unitarians. The article at top does not state clearly that the building was moved from Hill & 3rd to 925 S Flower and attempts to infer that is a new building ("admirably adapted to the needs of the modern church"). While the First Unitarians built anew on West 8th Street (seen in prior posts 7943 and 7944), there are ads for church services at 925 S Flower by the First Church of the Apostles in the mid-'30s and by the Bible Faith Church as late as 1944. Seems like there would be some pics, but I haven't seen any yet.

Quote:
Can anyone solve this for me? The 1883 gothic-style church at the NE corner of 3rd and Hill, which appears in so many photos, was supposed to have been moved to 925 S Flower in 1900 to make way for the new Conservative Life Building (both sites are now vacant). It remained there, as far as I know, until 1926, but I cannot locate a photo of it at the Flower St site (there were eight or nine churches tightly grouped in that area). It was supposed to have been remodeled after the move. I'm curious to see it.

usc digital archive

usc digital archive

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Five "Chop Suey" signs plus Union Station, 1937:

LAT
There were 3 streets in Chinatown East of Alameda : Apablaza, Marchessault and Napier. This had to be Marchessault (studying the position of the tower of Union Station today against the Plaza). We've already seen this photo on the thread (the 5 Chop Sueys were not yet noticed) and it's the only I know where we see the street looking East from Alameda. There are several looking West.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 12:16 AM

Architectural Marvels

I don't recall that we have seen these four:

Coffee Cup Cafe - 8901 Pico Blvd. - 1920

lapl

Hollywood Flower Pot - 1124 N. Vine St. - 1920

lapl

Round House Cafe - 250 N. Virgil - 1929

lapl

And here is the gem - The Airplane Cafe - Whereabouts Unknown - 1924

lapl

Wings on a single wide!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 12:26 AM
Closed account

Zoot Suit Riots - 1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
Roll call in the old Traffic Division at 123 N. Figueroa 1942. Tom Reddin, future Chief Of Police is seated on end, third row on right side of photo. [IMG][/IMG]

Photo from Sam Flowers Collection
Cool photo Mr. Graham......post some more?

Zoot suit boy in custody of the LAPD. This is my photo for today...12/12/12.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoot_Suit_Riots

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:27 AM

Culver City arches and colonnades

1921 - 8822 Washington Blvd. Former "Mule Skinner" Hal Roach in front of the studio bearing his name.
lapl

MGM's front gate, undated
lapl

lapl

9336 Washington Boulevard
Ince Studio front steps - undated

lapl

1935 - Selznick's remodel
lapl

Present
youarehere.com

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:33 AM

1953 - Francis X Bushman leaves studio.
lapl

google

Francis X as he appeared in Ben Hur 1925
silentfilm.org

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:51 AM

Curious advertising campaign for King Vidor's 1925 "Big Parade." Uncertain location although the embossed Sierra Madre may offer a clue. Look closely at the writing: "America's First Transcontinental Trackless Train." Is it implicit that this rolling billboard will make it to or from one coast to the other under its own steam? What would be the point of advertising the Egyptian Theater anywhere except the LA area?

calstlib

silentfimstillarchives

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:59 AM

Strange contraptions with a Sierra Madre connection?

1906 - Hold on to your seats and hats!
calstlib

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos