HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Besides the new building the parking garage will be upgraded as well. But the spaces will be mostly for the use of the building complex. That means the city must have another parking facility on the horizon to replace this for general use/government workers. Could it be part of Playhouse 2.0 or something build as part of a larger project by Irving at Regent and Queen? City has disguised this as a "parking study". Gotta figure there is a plan in play here
Playhouse 2.0 may be in jeopardy since they're having trouble getting funding from neighbouring municipalities: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...nags-1.3773642

At this point we probably don't need more parking, especially if they add spaces to the garage.

It's great that this development is taking the place of a small surface parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Looks like an interesting and very modern looking building; especially for the Freddy core. Hopefully there won't be too much resistance to the appearance. I heard the CBC interview about it this morning, and Yerxa did say it's going to be a very "Love it or Hate it" type of development. Personally, I think I'm liking it, and being away from the more 'classic' buildings along Queen street should make it more acceptable. (It'll be compared and contrasted to the more 'modern' buildings next to it like Kings Place and the BMO building).

5 stories probably isn't tall enough to warrant another tower crane, but it will bring some good density in that area.
I'd like to see more renderings. At this point it looks like a glass box with a curved front - not particularly daring or sexy IMO.

As for the tower crane, didn't the Westpointe apartment building have one? It's only five stories.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 1:44 PM

I agree, more renderings would be nice. It's supposed to have a Commercial 1st floor and Office up top, but the renderings don't really show that off clearly. And while I hate to give the CBC Commenters too much credit, the Glass faced building issue with birds (not so much with the Death Ray effect) is something to consider.

*Edit* Really, that Rendering isn't really a rendering, unless they had some other pics that the CBC and media isn't sharing yet. Their 'rendering' is basically two mirror surfaces on a cityscape that isn't even the Brunswick/Carleton corner as far as I can tell. Oh well, they have the building rights now; that'll give them the winter to cook up a proper building rendering for Spring Council approval and construction start hopefully.

Last edited by Taeolas; Sep 27, 2016 at 3:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 4:12 PM

It says in the terms and conditions of the sale that:

Quote:
•Any parking spaces in the property not needed for HSBC Place or the new commercial complex will be made available to the public at parking rates that are in line with those charged by the City of Fredericton.
That will satisfy the needs for free parking for market days.

Also:
Quote:
•There are 390 parking spaces at the Brunswick Street parking garage, with 280 spaces dedicated for long-term (monthly) use and 110 spaces dedicated to short-term (daily/hourly) use.
•The parking garage was built in 1982 with a 60-year projected life span.
So that basically means if the Playhouse 2.0 were to be built on that block, they would have to add more parking and/or continue using King Street. AND since the existing parking structure has already surpassed half its life expectancy, they will have to start looking at other options by the 2030s.

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/news/ci...garage-for-185

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 6:11 PM

The M&M store was denied being able to locate to the Corbet Centre. The owner is going to keep trying to convince the head office to allow the move.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
That will satisfy the needs for free parking for market days.
I wouldn't interpret that to mean that the spaces will be free considering that the city already charges to park in the King Street garage 24/7.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 6:32 PM

Yeah, the CBC interviews with both the city councillor and with Yerxa asked about free Weekend parking, and both dodged the question as fast as they could. So I think you can assume that parking will no longer be free in that garage within the next few years.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 6:47 PM

I don't really see that as a problem though. The current $1/hour it costs to park in these garages is extremely reasonable.

Last edited by OliverD; Sep 27, 2016 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 1:11 AM

Apparently, sometime tomorrow, Regent Street will reopen across Route 8. At least according to an article in the TJ (saw it shared on FB).

Paywall Link

I don't sub so I have no idea what the full article says.

Last edited by Taeolas; Sep 28, 2016 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Apparently, sometime tomorrow, Regent Street will reopen across Route 8. At least according to an article in the TJ (saw it shared on FB).
Really? There was still a ton of crap piled up on the exit onto Regent northbound from Route 8 on my way home tonight.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Really? There was still a ton of crap piled up on the exit onto Regent northbound from Route 8 on my way home tonight.
I wont believe it until I'm actually using it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 1:12 PM

Seems like the hope is to open it up this evening at some point. The Bus driver this morning said they'll probably shift back to the regular routing the second (or the half hour) after the bridge is open.

At the very least, if they don't hit it tonight for some reason, tomorrow is looking very likely.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 1:50 PM

Perfection Paving posted on Facebook that they would begin paving the overpass this morning: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...67775726665644

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
They could open Regent Street itself without opening the exit, if they need more time to clear everything out from those areas.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 4:43 PM

It seems Salad Chic in Kings Place wasn't doing too well. Freddy's Waffle Station has taken its place. Seems like a decent menu and a nice place to eat.https://www.facebook.com/Freddys-Waf...1780062739077/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 5:43 PM

City officials reinforcing their capital project priorities.

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/news/ci...ect-priorities

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 6:54 PM

Regent st overpass opening tonight.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
Regent st overpass opening tonight.
Any time estimates yet? Before Rushhour (ie now?) or after (ie after 6?)

*Edit* No time estimates beyond 'tonight', but at least it will be open.

And as noted above, there is still a lot of work left to do; it's just to the point now they can allow thru traffic.

Last edited by Taeolas; Sep 28, 2016 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 8:43 PM

Quote:
(It'll be compared and contrasted to the more 'modern' buildings next to it like Kings Place and the BMO building).
Not a bad fit across from the Aliant building, either. Actually, I'd be hard pressed to think of a better place for such a building downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
Actually government is phasing out parking. Lots of uproar in Kings Place for losing their own parking garage and Brunswick Street. They have to park at the market and it's very tight there apparently. I guess it's a good way to get them to take the bus to work?
I'm not sure that the need for parking would change significantly, even if individuals had to start paying for it. A shift to more transit use would, I imagine, require some improvements in the frequency of the transit system.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 9:16 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Any time estimates yet? Before Rushhour (ie now?) or after (ie after 6?)

*Edit* No time estimates beyond 'tonight', but at least it will be open.

And as noted above, there is still a lot of work left to do; it's just to the point now they can allow thru traffic.
Harry Forestell on CBC just said 8:30.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces