HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
just came through the new Bradley for the first time. Spectacular! Excellent job was done.
Great! I'm so glad you had a great time. I'm glad that you went through new TBIT.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 7:05 PM

I must have come through one of the old terminals on my recent trip to LA because it was on par with LaGuardia in its shabbiness. The improvements look great.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 7:47 PM

I have the misfortune to have to fly out of LAX tomorrow. Just wanted to say what a cesspool I think it is.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 9:43 PM
:o

Cool story, bro.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 5:22 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Terminal 1 will also be getting a huge makeover, it was announced recently. That leaves Terminals 3, 4, 7, and 8 (although 8 doesn't really receive significant traffic) that have yet to announce plans for renovation. Terminal 4 is probably the best domestic terminal that needs the least amount of work done, but I haven't passed through there since 2007.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...terminal_1.php

https://www.flickr.com/photos/907606...188728/sizes/l

https://www.flickr.com/photos/907606...742045/sizes/l

https://www.flickr.com/photos/907606...192208/sizes/l

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 8:11 AM
BANNED

unspectacular but not tacky. a success for LA.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Terminal 1 will also be getting a huge makeover, it was announced recently. That leaves Terminals 3, 4, 7, and 8 (although 8 doesn't really receive significant traffic) that have yet to announce plans for renovation.
It also leaves no way to move quickly and efficiently between terminals or within them. I did notice that in Terminal 8, there is a Marmalade Cafe that breaks the steady stream of chains that offer greasy junk food. That's some improvement.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 8:02 PM

Mayor Eric Garcetti did say this on his FB "We're transforming Southwest Terminal 1 from the curb to the gate, creating a better passenger experience and 1,500 new jobs. All part of our $7 billion overhaul at LAX, remodeling every terminal and creating 40,000 jobs. Because LA deserves a world-class airport."

so hopefully all the terminals will get a remodel

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 5:20 AM

The improvements to Terminal 1 look great.

I really have no complaints about LAX. As I've mentioned in the past, I'm always coming and going through Terminal 5. It's slightly 90's, but the concourse is light and airy. The front is being updated nicely. I can deal.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
The improvements to Terminal 1 look great.

I really have no complaints about LAX. As I've mentioned in the past, I'm always coming and going through Terminal 5. It's slightly 90's, but the concourse is light and airy. The front is being updated nicely. I can deal.
Try the United Terminals, 7, 8, and part of 6. Try getting to baggage claim from the far end of any of them. Take your hiking shoes. And no moving sidewalks! Tech that was installed in the old Dallas Love Field in the late 1950s, but not in that part of our third-world airport.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Try the United Terminals, 7, 8, and part of 6. Try getting to baggage claim from the far end of any of them. Take your hiking shoes. And no moving sidewalks! Tech that was installed in the old Dallas Love Field in the late 1950s, but not in that part of our third-world airport.
I avoid United at all costs, so I probably will never step foot in any of those terminals.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 10:13 PM
BANNED

nothing's worst than delta

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
That's your opinion.

Corporate clients, passengers, employees & shareholders would mostly disagree. And I don't work for Delta, but they are my preferred.

If you lived where I do, I'm sure you may feel differently.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Looking good. Much needed. Waiting on [anti-LA flammer] to come spew his negative, holier than thou bs in 3...2...
When going through this thread, & reading the posts of various forumers....but not necessarily even the person you're referring to....one would be under the impression that among major airports LAX was somehow uniquely outdated or dowdy.

Is it just me or is the 1st or 2nd busiest airport in the US really frumpy & tacky looking? It has a peculiarly drab midwesternish look about it, including things like much of the signage, the colors, the noticeably low ceilings, & the clunky square columns.

Video Link

in terms of the look or feel of an area that leads up to an airport, notice how oddly bland or generic....or faceless & empty.....everything is that greets the person arriving to the main airport......at least for international travelers, although I don't believe La Guardia is any better....that serves the biggest city in the US. No clearly identifiable theme bldg, no decorative lighted glass columns, no palm trees & hibiscus bushes, no imposing control tower in the near background.

Video Link

it's hard to judge things as accurately or fairly as possible without placing them in the fullest context possible. So knowing what other airports are like should be a prerequisite before judging LAX.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 4:19 AM

LAWA board has been approves for $4 billions People Mover Project

http://labusinessjournal.com/news/20...train-project/

It's official!!! Finally!!! Long overdue!!!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
Actually, I went through LAX terminal 5 and it wasn't too bad for me at all.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 6:50 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Well, at least there's now a plan in place...

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 7:01 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 10:06 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Construction contract awarded for LAX midfield concourse

By Dan Weikel
December 18, 2014

The modernization of Los Angeles International Airport took a major step forward Thursday with approval of the construction contract for a $1.25-billion midfield concourse that will add 11 passenger gates to accommodate growing air travel.

City airport commissioners also initiated preliminary planning and the environmental review for several projects included in the $4-billion ground transportation plan for LAX.

Among the proposals are a consolidated car rental facility in nearby Manchester Square and an automated people mover that would connect to passenger terminals, the rental car center and the planned station for Metro's Crenshaw light rail line.

The new concourse will stand between the north and south runways about 1,300 feet west of the Tom Bradley International Terminal. The project is exceeded in scale only by the ongoing $2.1-billion expansion of the Bradley, which is the centerpiece of LAX's modernization effort.

Airport commissioners awarded a $961.3-million design and construction contract to Turner/PCL, a joint venture that airport officials say offered the most competitive bid for the northern half of the satellite concourse. The southern portion will be handled later as a separate project.

"The 11 gates will be full as they are made available for operation," said Gina Marie Lindsey, executive director of Los Angeles World Airports, the operator of LAX. "Our expectation is that growth will take us there very quickly."

The nation's third busiest commercial airport is on track to handle more than 71 million passengers this year and exceed the previous peak of about 68 million in 2000.

Scheduled to be completed in 2020, the north concourse will include taxiways and a tunnel for passengers to reach the Bradley, where an annex will be added. In addition, Los Angeles World Airports will have the option of adding a baggage handling system and an extension with two more gates on the north end of the concourse.

Because of increasing costs to modernize and expand the Bradley terminal, Lindsey told commissioners that airlines would like to hold down the costs of the new midfield facility.

Airport records show that the initial estimate to complete the Bradley was about $1.4 billion in late 2009. Due to additions and change orders, the current estimate is more than $2.1 billion. That is in addition to a $737-million remodel of the original Bradley building that was finished in 2010.

"The airlines will be pushing us not to build an iconic structure like the Bradley," Lindsey said, adding that the midfield concourse will have a more functional, less elaborate design.

During discussion of the ground transportation plan, airport officials said the program should relieve traffic congestion in the central terminal area as LAX grows.

They said shuttles that now take passengers directly to the terminals might be required to drop off and pick up passengers at people mover stops outside the terminal area as well as the car rental facility in Manchester Square.

Airport officials also recommended that the people mover be built down the spine of the central terminal area rather than stop in front of each airline terminal. Passengers would board and exit at three stops on the roofs of existing parking structures.

"This program will transform how people travel to and from LAX in the future," said Sean Burton, the airport commission president. "We are committed to building a system that will relieve congestion, encourage transit use, and create a reliable, efficient and time certain arrival and departure experience."
http://www.latimes.com/local/cityhal...219-story.html

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 12:25 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

For what it's worth, TBIT was ranked the 9th best airport terminal this year:

http://www.worldairportawards.com/aw...Categories.htm

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation