HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
I will go ahead and "third" this sentiment. The station absolutely feels like a destination, a national caliber one at that. And it's in the perfect location to act in such a role... right at Denver's doorstep.

I don't feel that demand for Union Station will EVER be what Wizened fears it will be. I could be wrong I suppose, but if I am and we have that much transit demand, then I will consider Denver's transit system a major success and we can then figure out how to fix the problem. There is very little consensus on this point; in fact most of the Denver crowd has long been voicing fears that the site plan "downplays" the historic building, and provides too much capacity for riders to exit the train platforms in just about every direction except through the building itself. And I agree... locals will quickly learn the shortcut exits, but new arrivals to town will likely still gravitate toward the main building.

Now that I've seen the station itself in person, this all makes perfect sense to me. As a daily transit user, I would probably avoid going through the historic building too. But if I were headed out on vacation, I could easily see myself spending time hanging out at the Terminal Bar before heading to the airport. Or for a nightcap after a meal in LoDo before riding the train home. And for visitors it provides the perfect welcome mat. It's the first point you feel like you've really arrived in town (cause lets face it, Airports are traveler's limbo-land). It's the perfect place to get your bearings and maybe a bite to eat before a short taxi ride to your destination. Add in the high-quality, largely local retail and the hotel, and this is all the activity the station needs to be a vibrant destination. Quite frankly, the deliberate separation of these two user groups was a good move, and the station is every bit as good as I hoped it would be.
Now let's put Union Station in perspective.

Denver Union Station is not a Grand Central Station, a Union Station in Chicago, a 30th Street Station in Philadelphia, a Union Station KC, a St. Louis Union Station, a Union Station in LA, Union Station in Cincinnati, a Newark train Station, or many other first tier stations. Denver Union Station is a good 2nd tier station, in size as well as architectural distinction.

Don't over estimate the Great Hall.

Within 10 years, the Union Station Great Hall, again will be what it was designed to be- a place to go through en route to and from platforms; to access bus portals, and, a place to wait for trains. Within a rather short time, the walkway and escalators from the Underground will be packed during rush hours, for Rockies games, and, for weekend revelers. The drop off in front of the main entrance facing Wynkoop Street will often become very busy, as people are dropped off to go to, picked up from the DIA line.

I sincerely hope that people are wise enough to let Union Station be a rail station over the next decade, not a shopping boutique/bar hangout like the very low traffic KC Union Station or the St. Louis Union Stations have become.

People don't seem to understand the ridership volumes that will be pouring into the extended complex during rush hour, and, none of us really know, despite the modeling, how the people will choose to enter and exit the Underground or the Commuter lines. People will find out the best routes for themselves...

For now, the Great Hall will be a large sized attraction. With 10 years the Great Hall will be a small space during rush hours.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 12:08 AM

I don't know, we'll see. I find it hard to believe that 6 separate exits, most of them over 40 feet wide, and one of them as wide as the great hall itself (Wewatta exit) won't be able to handle all of the transit riders that the station will ever have capacity for. If the system grows as much as you say, then we will have to build a second train station, and a robust local distributor system in order to handle all the train traffic. I personally have nothing wrong with that, it's a model that works just fine for many European cities.

Its much better to underbuild than to overbuild. You can fix the former, but not the latter. I'll take a bustling, overcrowded train station that needs expansion ANY day over one where you can hear crickets. But I don't think this station is going to have either problem any time soon, and I'm not worried about our capacity to expand later if we have to.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 2:52 PM

Quote:
I don't know, we'll see. I find it hard to believe that 6 separate exits, most of them over 40 feet wide, and one of them as wide as the great hall itself (Wewatta exit) won't be able to handle all of the transit riders that the station will ever have capacity for. If the system grows as much as you say, then we will have to build a second train station, and a robust local distributor system in order to handle all the train traffic. I personally have nothing wrong with that, it's a model that works just fine for many European cities.

Its much better to underbuild than to overbuild. You can fix the former, but not the latter. I'll take a bustling, overcrowded train station that needs expansion ANY day over one where you can hear crickets. But I don't think this station is going to have either problem any time soon, and I'm not worried about our capacity to expand later if we have to.
During bad or cold weather, the vast majority of transit users will walk through the Union Station Great Hall north to south, IMO, then either walk to the 16th Street Mall shuttle stop to the west, or east to job locations, and, entertainment venues.
The large exit from the south end of the Underground hits ground level very close to one large entrance at the north end of the Great Hall which has, in total, somewhere around 18,000 to 20,000 square feet. If 500 people are walking through 10 percent of that floor space to the main Wynkoop Street exit (this is with the interior as has been built out), then the density in that ten percent is approximately one person per 4 square feet (a little over 1 foot apart). Using the old benches era layout model, about 20 to 25 percent of the total space would be available for shortest distance to the Wyncoop Street exit travel. This works out to about one person per 30 square feet and people being about 4 to 4.5 feet apart when 500 people are walking through the Great Hall, based upon the original bench configuration.

A percentage of foot traffic to and from transit through the station will use bathroom facilities, or stop to shop for a quick cup of coffee or a paper. This creates a diagonal tendency in people movement. Consider this mathematically somewhat like an eddy in a stream where net movement of water (people) slows down and more people occupy more square footage space for a longer time.

The issue is not just whether the 2 primary entrances can handle the throughout of people (because they can), rather the issue is the density of people per unit area as they move through the Great Hall. For example, during evening rush, if users are to enter the Underground through the main South Entrance to the Underground, however such users first enter the Great Hall, their movement streams will merge immediately in front of the primary north exit to the Great Hall for the shortest distance to get to the Underground's South Exit. To use a second example, as the best pedestrian path to Coors field from the DUS Light, the Underground buses, and, the commuter line will be through the Great Hall, and, pedestrian traffic loads in excess of 4,000 people per hour* might want to pass through the station en route to the Wyncoop Street exit (as most people will not want to exit via the Wewatta Pavilion, and walk north, then cross the pedestrian bridge.)

The basic rule is the people will want to walk the shortest distance, the least incline, without stairs in a minimum amount of time while being in the best possible climatic conditions.

Add people who choose to remain in the Great Hall rather than stand in the Underground to wait for a train when it is 5 degrees, add the people who want to get a cup of coffee and sit on a bench while waiting for a bus that arrives at a portal on the southern half of the Underground, and, more people will stand or desire to sit in the Great Hall. This compounds people movement, and is precisely why the great halls of almost all significant railroad stations world wide are open, and, have almost no seating.

*Look at this traffic load as approximately 100 people per MINUTE. People walking up the stairs because the up escalator is at capacity.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...ca47c41d?hl=en
Union Station Map courtesy RTD at
http://rtd-denver.com/unionstation-map.shtml

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 6:07 PM

I think perhaps you're missing that the pedestrian bridge has access stairways and elevators from every single train platform. There is no need to exit north to Wewatta in order to access the bridge. I'll give you the fact that it requires climbing up and down staircases, which people do habitually avoid, and that the south exit to the "Underground" is right by the back door to the great hall; but this still doesn't seem like enough to funnel that many people into the building all at once.

Keep in mind that the south exit is not the only exit... there is one equally as large at Wewatta, another at Chestnut (with its own 16th Street Mall shuttle stop) and exits onto every commuter train platform as well. When you're in the underground, you have to make a concerted effort to walk all the way past the many elevators and staircases to the last exit. I would imagine that at least 75% of regular users will figure out how to use these alternate exits and not cut through the great hall. Mall shuttle riders have absolutely no reason to cut through the main hall; they have not one, but two separate exits immediately onto 16th Street directly from the commuter platforms, and a mall shuttle stop right by the Triangle building/Kimpton Hotel exit.

Also remember that commuter train riders will be forced to walk to the end of the platforms before heading toward LoDo (unless they want to go out of their way into the underground, which as you say, they will avoid because it involves going down and then up). Here they will see the enormous exit to the Wewatta plaza by the South Wing building, which will be the shortest path to the street, not through the great hall. During a Rockies game, the bridge will in fact be nearly equally as short a route as going through the hall.

And when crowds get as big as you are describing, people will naturally take the path of least resistance and find their way to the alternate exits. Crowds of that size act on people's behavior and perception of the shortest route. People are repelled by crowds that move like herds of cattle. If the bridge appears to have available personal space, and the doors to the hall become a choke-point, then people will gravitate to the bridge rather than crowding through the doors into the hall. And keep in mind that these crowds naturally thin out as individual people all move at totally different speeds.

Besides, if the great hall really does get as crowded as you fear it will, then they will just remove some of the furniture; no harm no foul. That doesn't make its design a failure.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 8:04 PM

Quote:
I think perhaps you're missing that the pedestrian bridge has access stairways and elevators from every single train platform. There is no need to exit north to Wewatta in order to access the bridge. I'll give you the fact that it requires climbing up and down staircases, which people do habitually avoid, and that the south exit to the "Underground" is right by the back door to the great hall; but this still doesn't seem like enough to funnel that many people into the building all at once.

Keep in mind that the south exit is not the only exit... there is one equally as large at Wewatta, another at Chestnut (with its own 16th Street Mall shuttle stop) and exits onto every commuter train platform as well. When you're in the underground, you have to make a concerted effort to walk all the way past the many elevators and staircases to the last exit. I would imagine that at least 75% of regular users will figure out how to use these alternate exits and not cut through the great hall. Mall shuttle riders have absolutely no reason to cut through the main hall; they have not one, but two separate exits immediately onto 16th Street directly from the commuter platforms, and a mall shuttle stop right by the Triangle building/Kimpton Hotel exit.

Also remember that commuter train riders will be forced to walk to the end of the platforms before heading toward LoDo (unless they want to go out of their way into the underground, which as you say, they will avoid because it involves going down and then up). Here they will see the enormous exit to the Wewatta plaza by the South Wing building, which will be the shortest path to the street, not through the great hall. During a Rockies game, the bridge will in fact be nearly equally as short a route as going through the hall.

And when crowds get as big as you are describing, people will naturally take the path of least resistance and find their way to the alternate exits. Crowds of that size act on people's behavior and perception of the shortest route. People are repelled by crowds that move like herds of cattle. If the bridge appears to have available personal space, and the doors to the hall become a choke-point, then people will gravitate to the bridge rather than crowding through the doors into the hall. And keep in mind that these crowds naturally thin out as individual people all move at totally different speeds.

Besides, if the great hall really does get as crowded as you fear it will, then they will just remove some of the furniture; no harm no foul. That doesn't make its design a failure.
I am not saying that the Union Station design is a failure, as that design served Denver well until the early 1960, when the collapse of private interstate railroad transportation began to seriously affect passenger load. The old building, working with a wide, underground, passenger access way, and, numerous through tracks was a scaled down, and, more city size appropriate passenger terminal. To put usage figures in perspective, per the special Denver's 100th anniversary magazine put out by the Post in 1959, the station in 1959 with an open "Open Space" had 300,000 boardings and deboadings per year. So lets say about 1,000 people used the facility daily with 500 leaving trains, and, 500 waiting to board trains, per day.

Of course, comparing this figure with- out of the hat- 150,000 to 200,000 riders per business day, or 75,000 - 100,000 people using the entire DUS Station Complex twice per day, and, what emerges is a very different new station where far more people wait a shorter time within Union Station and far more walk through it compared to the 1950s and earlier. Take a 2 hour transit rush period (the center two hours of the distribution) and look at the area under the curve and we get exit rates of the Underground, those that walk through the Underground, and those that bypass the Underground and catch the 16th Street Mall shuttle, as high as 50,000 people per hour during rush hour, or (averaging down), about 800 people per minute. This will saturate the Wewatta Street and Union Station exits from the Underground, whose combined capacity, IMO, is around 200 or possibly 250 people per minute in the same direction (net 12,000 to 15,000 per hour). (Add the16th Street Mall shuttle pickup at Denver Light, and drop off rate per hour also- I cannot imagine a rate much higher than 200 pickups or drop offs per minute. I will give the new shuttle a 50 people per minute figure as frequency will increase greatly by then. The net rate of exit would then be ~ 500 people per minute.)

Of course, this is an average rate over two hours. Take in the 45 minutes between 7:00 and 7:45a and 4:45p and 5:30p, rates will be far higher, as number of buses arriving and departing will be highest, the light rail will be running at capacity, and, the commuter lines, too, will be fully scheduled. I would think that during these times that the passenger load would be significantly higher than the 2 hour average. A ball park guess would be 25% higher- say at the rate as high as 60,000 people per hour over these 45 minutes, or approximately 1000 people per minute. This is greater than the capacity of the Wewatta St and the Union Station exit for the Underground, (250 people per minute) plus the Shuttle (200 people per minute) plus the new shuttle (50 people minute) or approximately 500 people per minute exit or entrance capacity.

The net result will be crowding towards the south end of the Underground. As for the poor folk exiting at Wewatta, the south bound Mall shuttles will be close to being packed, pushing crowds south towards Union Station. In addition, the Wewatta exit directly accesses and will continue to access a small portion of the downtown's office space capacity, so the exit puts commuters out in the middle of nowhere (but thank *** it's there).

Use similar figures for Rockies games during a winning season, with the caveat that the hourly rate will be lower for those leaving the game, and, higher as fans travel to the game where the Underground provides the least strenuous route from the light rail, from buses, and, (less so) for commuter users. While passenger usage rates per hour, naturally, would be far lower, a rate per hour exiting the Underground over the busiest 45 minutes as fans arrive, might easily approach 10,000 per hour or 350 per minute. Simply a Rockies game could almost fill all exits at capacity.

Add usage figures for the Great Hall during inclement weather, also, where through pedestrian traffic will bunch up, even as people walk through the Union Station.

Go out and walk the facility alone and imagine the crowd dynamics.
Everything looks good until people use such facilities in high numbers. "Based upon projection X that fits within desired development parameters Y then customer behavior can be defined until passenger loads are >Z." At that point design mistakes start to scream.

By 2025, I firmly believe that even with all benches removed and commercial facilites pushed into the building's wings, that the small size of the Great Hall (take everything out of the great room and there is <20,000 feet squared in the Great Hall) and the Hall still will hit saturation.

NOTE: The pedestrian bridge looks great, but, will not significantly affect net station exit rates per hour. At the max, perhaps 50 people minute could use the bridge per minute in one direction.
NOTE2: Figures become even worse when one realizes that many people from the light rail and commuter lines will want to enter the Underground, before leaving it.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 5:31 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

We have been grand opened! I'll have photos throughout the week!

Denver Union Station: Final Update – Grand Opening
via DenverInfill

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation