HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 9:32 PM

Some good images from the PennLive article:

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/0...arrisburg.html

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 1:43 AM

Federal Courthouse
Photos taken 03/05/2021 on my phone. First photo taken on Cameron St and second photo taken at Herr & N 7th.

Members 1st FCU Headquarters
Photo taken 03/04/2021 on my phone. Located in Hampden Marketplace in Hampden Twp.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:42 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentralPA View Post
I saw this today too. Good overview. Exciting to see all of the development happening in Harrisburg!
Good Grief... I took a minute to add up total project costs... $605M! I remember when Reed used to boast about $1B in total investment in the downtown and now we have a significant portion of that under construction.

Also I'm getting FOMO.... I reentered my professional life a couple years ago, but for a time I did architectural restoration (I specialize in woodworking) at the Capitol Complex and all of my old coworkers are starting the Forum project.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:51 PM
Man on a mission

Picture from this article

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2020/0...-and-more.html

I wonder if the building was built to support the additional floor that weren't completed? Sorta like Forum Place or the rear of HHA building on 3rd Street.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Good Grief... I took a minute to add up total project costs... $605M! I remember when Reed used to boast about $1B in total investment in the downtown and now we have a significant portion of that under construction.

Also I'm getting FOMO.... I reentered my professional life a couple years ago, but for a time I did architectural restoration (I specialize in woodworking) at the Capitol Complex and all of my old coworkers are starting the Forum project.
Yeah, that’s an awesome dollar amount of projects happening in Harrisburg! And the Forum project sounds neat, glad they’re doing it.

Quote:
I wonder if the building was built to support the additional floor that weren't completed? Sorta like Forum Place or the rear of HHA building on 3rd Street.
I don’t have the article in front of me, so I’m not 100% sure, but I believe I remember reading that it was built to support the additional floors but obviously it never happened. I think this developer has mulled adding addition floors. I’ll try and find the article!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 1:14 AM

Quote:
I don’t have the article in front of me, so I’m not 100% sure, but I believe I remember reading that it was built to support the additional floors but obviously it never happened. I think this developer has mulled adding addition floors. I’ll try and find the article!
Found the article!

https://theburgnews.com/news/landmar...and-a-new-plan

Second to last paragraph:

Quote:
Since the building is so large, there are many possible uses, he said. And, if his project is successful, he might even consider building up, since the stone and steel bottom floors were built to support a 12-story structure.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:12 AM

https://theburgnews.com/news/harrisb...tment-building

A bunch of projects got their land development plans approved which was the last hurdle. Very good news!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:12 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Found the article!

https://theburgnews.com/news/landmar...and-a-new-plan

Second to last paragraph:
that would be awesome. The original concept would have been beautiful. But in my mind I would envision a all glass façade upper structure. Think what it would look like with all the dirt removed from the lower stone/concrete and 8-10 stories of all black glass.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
that would be awesome. The original concept would have been beautiful. But in my mind I would envision a all glass façade upper structure. Think what it would look like with all the dirt removed from the lower stone/concrete and 8-10 stories of all black glass.
Would love for that to happen. Fingers crossed!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 9:53 PM

State Archives Building
Photos taken 03/13/2021 on my phone.

Harrisburg University Tower
Photos taken 03/13/2021 on my phone. Lots of work being done here and working on a Saturday! Hard to get good photos due to the fence surrounding the project.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 10:46 PM

Harrisburg Update
All photos taken by me on my phone on 03/27/2021

Hudson Building - 6th & Maclay
I was driving by this building yesterday and was surprised to see that work has started on this building. Appeared that much of the interior has been demo'd already.

State Archives Building
This one is moving along at a steady pace. You can also see the Federal Courthouse in the third photo, but no visible progress on the exterior has occurred since my last update.

Harrisburg University Tower
Lots of workers here on a Saturday - the most I've see so far. Seems like its full steam ahead with the foundation work. Hard to get a good photo here because of the fence that surrounds the site.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 12:14 AM

Lancaster Update
I was in Lancaster on Friday so I took some photos of the numerous projects going on around the city! All photos taken by me on 04/02/2021 on my phone.

38 E Walnut St
This project looks like it's completed. Not sure how many units there are now.

Lancaster Square Redevelopment
Looks like they've been working on the ramp up to the future parking garage. First two photos show the pillars for the future ramps. Taken from N Duke St.

There was also a large crane on site. Not sure exactly what it will be used for.

Southern Market
Looks like exterior work has progressed nicely. Looks really nice, especially along W Vine St. Photo taken from NE corner of Vine & Queen

Fulton Theater
Looks like work is mostly completed here - at least the exterior is. Photo 1 is along W Grant St. Photo 2 is from NE corner of Grant & Water. Photo 3 is from Prince St.

Firestation #1
New firestation for Lancaster City Fire. This is 1 of 2 new stations and is located at 425 W King St. Much bigger than their old station and looks to be completed some time in May. The replacement of station #3 looks like it will start with the demolition some time this summer.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 12:07 AM

https://theburgnews.com/business/we-...ving-the-trend

Nice article about development in Harrisburg. Sounds like there's more projects in the pipeline that haven't been announced yet!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:29 AM

Thanks for all your updates! I saw the crane today being used for the parking garage/library in Lancaster Square from Willow Street. It looks like a crawler crane and the boom on that thing has to be close to 200 feet! Easily the largest crawler crane I have seen. From Willow Street it looked taller than both the Griest Building and the Marriott.

Your photo of the Holiday Inn Express reminds me of how terribly dated and ugly the old ballroom on the south facade of the hotel looks. It sticks out like a soar thumb now that the old Bulova Building was redeveloped into 101 NQ. John Meeder really missed an opportunity to do something special with that space when he renovated the hotel a few years ago.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mville1 View Post
Thanks for all your updates! I saw the crane today being used for the parking garage/library in Lancaster Square from Willow Street. It looks like a crawler crane and the boom on that thing has to be close to 200 feet! Easily the largest crawler crane I have seen. From Willow Street it looked taller than both the Griest Building and the Marriott.

Your photo of the Holiday Inn Express reminds me of how terribly dated and ugly the old ballroom on the south facade of the hotel looks. It sticks out like a soar thumb now that the old Bulova Building was redeveloped into 101 NQ. John Meeder really missed an opportunity to do something special with that space when he renovated the hotel a few years ago.
No problem! And I was surprised by the size of the crane too. They had it down as you can see in the picture, and it blocked half of Queen St.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 8:42 PM

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/0...partments.html

A Philly based company is planning on converting a vacant building into a 12-unit apartment building at 13th and Walnut. Good to see some development in other parts of the city!

Rendering:

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 8:51 PM

https://theburgnews.com/business/we-...ving-the-trend

Nice article about all the development in Harrisburg. It says 27 projects planned or underway worth $601 million. That's awesome! It also sounds like there are other projects being planned in other parts of the city that haven't be announced yet, which is also good news.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 11:13 PM

State Archives Building
Photo taken 04/10/2021 by me on my phone.

Federal Courthouse
Photos taken 04/10/2021 by me on my phone

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:21 PM
Man on a mission

Harrisburg creates affordable housing incentive program, approves large apartment building in Midtown

Quote:
At a virtual legislative session, council passed a package of bills aimed at incentivizing affordable housing development and approved a large project that includes residential and commercial space, as well as a new parking garage.

Baird said they plan to break ground in July or August of this year and have the parking garage portion of the project almost completed by late summer of 2022.
Council needs to do something to address affordable housing before it becomes problematic and I think this is a good first effort. I guess time will tell how many developers will take advantage of the program.

Its exciting to hear that the parking garage portion of the Reily street project is probably only a couple months out from beginning.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:24 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/0...partments.html

A Philly based company is planning on converting a vacant building into a 12-unit apartment building at 13th and Walnut. Good to see some development in other parts of the city!

Rendering:

I can almost hear the crys of gentrification coming...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations