HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 12:03 AM

Can anybody remember in the early eighties when Harrisburg was supposed to build a Civic center downtown?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:34 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Nice to see the momentum in HBG and it's one of those places that should be booming but yet for some reason just doesn't quite seem to catch on.

Makes sense and a simple "South Central, PA" title or something similar would work. Or just use the majors e.g. "Harrisburg-Lancaster-York".
I was scrolling back a few pages... It was suggested after the last census that HBG and Lancaster MSA may be combined wasn't it?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:39 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Harrisburg church to be redeveloped into apartments
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/0...outputType=amp
I'm afraid Derek Dilks will run out of whatever money his silent partners are providing. He doesn't have a great history on projects in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:40 PM
Me?!?

Harrisburg will purchase the former M&T Bank building for use as new office space
https://theburgnews.com/in-the-burg/...w-office-space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
I was scrolling back a few pages... It was suggested after the last census that HBG and Lancaster MSA may be combined wasn't it?
Hmm I don't recall but I know that some of my phellow Philadelphians want to claim Lancaster but I always let them know that if it's going to be tied to anywhere it would be Harrisburg over Philly

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:42 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentralPA View Post
I didn't know any of this but makes sense. Sounds like that zoning change might be a big reason why 6th & Reily streets are seeing so much development/proposals!
When I bought my 3 unit building downtown (mid aughts) I wouldn't have been able to rebuild if it had been destroyed by fire without a zoning exemption. I would have needed to add 3 parking spaces and each apartment would have needed to be 1400sf. Could you imagine? Most new market rate units being built recently are between 700-900 sf for one bedrooms

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:50 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Harrisburg will purchase the former M&T Bank building for use as new office space
https://theburgnews.com/in-the-burg/...w-office-space

Hmm I don't recall but I know that some of my phellow Philadelphians want to claim Lancaster but I always let them know that if it's going to be tied to anywhere it would be Harrisburg over Philly
Its definitely linked with Philly. I would put that link as one of the reasons why redevelopment happened earlier in Lancaster than HBG.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:52 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfbaldy View Post
Can anybody remember in the early eighties when Harrisburg was supposed to build a Civic center downtown?
Sadly before my time. Was that a Reed Proposal?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 6:43 PM

Yes, The building of the Civic Center was supposed to be built downtown the picture of the Civic Center was on the front page of the Patriot News. It was going too be a very beautiful building. Oh well!!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 7:38 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Its definitely linked with Philly. I would put that link as one of the reasons why redevelopment happened earlier in Lancaster than HBG.
I don't agree. Lancaster to HBG is 40 miles, to Philly 79 miles. I know many people who live in Lancaster and work in HBG, I know none that live there and work here. Also, I drive to Lancaster often and there is a lot of nothing between there and here vs between Lancaster and HBG, where the nothing is much less because of the shorter distance. And HBG, York, Lancaster do seem to function as more of a region than Lancaster and Philly.

Lancaster did well because they were proactive which is really wild when you think about it, as being Amish country you wouldn't think that it would be more progressive than HBG in some ways.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 1:01 AM

Quote:
When I bought my 3 unit building downtown (mid aughts) I wouldn't have been able to rebuild if it had been destroyed by fire without a zoning exemption. I would have needed to add 3 parking spaces and each apartment would have needed to be 1400sf. Could you imagine? Most new market rate units being built recently are between 700-900 sf for one bedrooms
That is crazy. I can't even imagine. Definitely a good thing for those zoning changes!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 1:05 AM

Quote:
I don't agree. Lancaster to HBG is 40 miles, to Philly 79 miles. I know many people who live in Lancaster and work in HBG, I know none that live there and work here. Also, I drive to Lancaster often and there is a lot of nothing between there and here vs between Lancaster and HBG, where the nothing is much less because of the shorter distance. And HBG, York, Lancaster do seem to function as more of a region than Lancaster and Philly.

Lancaster did well because they were proactive which is really wild when you think about it, as being Amish country you wouldn't think that it would be more progressive than HBG in some ways.
I agree with you. I used to commute between HBG and Lancaster and they definitely seem more connected to me then Philly and Lancaster. Also in my head, I would say that HBG, Lancaster and York are the main cities that make up the South Central PA region.

But then for Covid data, the PA Dept. of Health considers Lancaster County in the Southeast region where Dauphin and York counties are in South Central, so who knows...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 6:29 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
I agree with you. I used to commute between HBG and Lancaster and they definitely seem more connected to me then Philly and Lancaster. Also in my head, I would say that HBG, Lancaster and York are the main cities that make up the South Central PA region.

But then for Covid data, the PA Dept. of Health considers Lancaster County in the Southeast region where Dauphin and York counties are in South Central, so who knows...
My guess is because if you live in the easternmost part of Lancaster Co. you border Chester where you can then have access to the Philly metro and SEPTA. From that perspective it makes a lot of sense, as an infected person from that part of Lancaster Co. commuting as I described would have the opportunity to infect a much higher number of people.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
My guess is because if you live in the easternmost part of Lancaster Co. you border Chester where you can then have access to the Philly metro and SEPTA. From that perspective it makes a lot of sense, as an infected person from that part of Lancaster Co. commuting as I described would have the opportunity to infect a much higher number of people.
That definitely makes sense from a public health perspective. But other than that, I would consider Lancaster as part of South Central PA!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 9:01 PM

Quote:

I've driven SR 283 only once, and while it was a seemingly short 40 miles from Lancaster to Harrisburg, it was a claustrophobic 40 miles. I understand the census bureau thinks otherwise, but I like to consider York, Dauphin, and Lancaster counties as a de facto MSA, with Lebanon added in.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 1:28 AM

Glad to see the name update for this thread!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 2:41 PM

Harrisburg University Tower
Photos taken 02/13/2021 on my phone.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 2:59 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Harrisburg University Tower
Photos taken 02/13/2021 on my phone.

One of us needs to get a drone so we can get some nice site wide shots.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
One of us needs to get a drone so we can get some nice site wide shots.
Agreed, that would be nice!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:39 PM

Have any plans been released for the old federal building in Harrisburg?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:56 PM
Me?!?

Walnut Street Bridge, Harrisburg State Hospital and 21 other Harrisburg properties targeted for preservation
https://www.pennlive.com/life/2021/0...outputType=amp

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations