HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 11:23 PM

Wow! We did really well in June as far as passenger counts go.

First time passengers top 900,000 in one month at ABIA

Quote:
June 2013

Passenger Activity: Total passenger traffic for June 2013 was 911,675, up 8% compared to June 2012. This tops the previous single month record of 889,659 set in May 2013, and marks the first time passenger traffic at Austin’s airport has exceeded 900,000 in a single month. June 2013 enplanements totaled 464,974, up 8%. Southwest Airlines passengers totaled 359,300, up 10.5% compared to June 2012; American Airlines passengers totaled 161,577, down 6%; United Airlines (including SkyWest, Shuttle America, GoJet, ExpressJet, and Mesa) passengers totaled 146,732, up 93%; Delta Air Lines passengers totaled 111,904, up 7%; JetBlue Airways passengers totaled 62,464, up 16.5%; U.S. Airways (including Mesa) passengers totaled 39,412, up 31%; Frontier Airlines passengers totaled 12,380, down 11%; Alaska Airlines passengers totaled 9,940, up 5%; Virgin America passengers totaled 7,409.

[SNIP]

January – June 2013 Year to Date

Passenger Activity: Total passenger traffic for January – June YTD was 4,855,475 up 6% compared to January – June 2012. January – June 2013 enplanements totaled 2,435,727, up 5.5%. Southwest Airlines passengers totaled 1,896,957 up 9.5%; American Airlines passengers totaled 920,105, down 1.5%; United Airlines (including SkyWest, Shuttle America, GoJet, ExpressJet, and Mesa) passengers totaled 668,168, up 84.5%; Delta Air Lines passengers 584,257, up 5.5%; JetBlue Airways passengers totaled 322,627, up 12%; U.S. Airways (including Mesa) passengers totaled 220,677, up 27.5%; Frontier Airlines passengers totaled 68,600, down 26.5%; Alaska Airlines passengers totaled 57,045, down 0.4%; Virgin America passengers totaled 9,928.
Before this year, our all-time monthly record was set in June 2008 when we had 869,308. That record was finally broken in March of this year when we had 876,806 passengers. May saw 889,659 passengers, which beat March's record and now June (911,675) has beaten May's record.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Wow! We did really well in June as far as passenger counts go.

First time passengers top 900,000 in one month at ABIA

Before this year, our all-time monthly record was set in June 2008 when we had 869,308. That record was finally broken in March of this year when we had 876,806 passengers. May saw 889,659 passengers, which beat March's record and now June (911,675) has beaten May's record.
Is there a specific passenger count needed before new gates are added? Seems like the trend would justify expansion now. From earlier reports, adding gates isn't even being planned at this time.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 5:35 AM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 5:39 AM

I think the terminal - as it is now - can handle 11,000,000 passengers per year. I haven't been to the airport recently, but airside (the gates) has never seemed particularly crowded. Landside (Baggage claim, ticketing, security checkpoints) is where the problem is. City Council is supposed to decide on August 8 on a $62 million contract with Hensel Phelps Construction Co. to add 55,000 square feet to the east side of the terminal, (the East Terminal Infill Project, which adds more security checkpoints and ticket counter positions) and a 40-year lease with ABIA Retail for a 13-acre commercial hub west of Presidential Boulevard.

source: Austin Business Journal

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Gates won't be added in the near future. Air carriers will upgauge aircraft as demand warrants. ABIA has a ton of RJ service. When you start seeing RJ's replaced with mainline metal that's when gates will need to be added.
I'm sorry Austin1971, what is RJ service and mainline metal...I'm confused....
Oop, I think I just figured it out...regional jet service, mainline must be larger jets...have to get caught up with the jargon...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 11:35 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I'm sorry Austin1971, what is RJ service and mainline metal...I'm confused....
Oop, I think I just figured it out...regional jet service, mainline must be larger jets...have to get caught up with the jargon...
Ditto.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 10:32 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Ditto.
RJ = Regional Jet (with max capacity of ~50 people)
Mainline Metal = MD-80's, B737's, B757's, A319's, A320's, etc. (where maximum capacities start around 125 passengers).

Starting this October, Mexican RJ carrier, Aeromar, will serve Mexico City from Austin 5x per week using their CRJ200 equipment (capacity=50).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 4:02 AM

Another airport story from KVUE regarding the east terminal infill project.

ABIA plans for new 55,000 square foot terminal

Quote:
The terminal would include a new passenger security checkpoint with ten lanes, and will build a connection from the East ticket lobby to the concourse at approximately Gate five.
The video shows the rendering.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 4:48 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Mainline Metal = MD-80's, B737's, B757's, A319's, A320's, etc. (where maximum capacities start around 125 passengers).

Starting this October, Mexican RJ carrier, Aeromar, will serve Mexico City from Austin 5x per week using their CRJ200 equipment (capacity=50).

Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks!
I expect to see Airtran start service to Mexico City soon. Then United will fly there, too but only on Saturday.

Last edited by texastarkus; Aug 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 6:55 PM

More info (and renderings) of the Terminal East Infill Project that I found from the Art in Public Places Program

Quote:
TEIP focuses on expanding core passenger processing facilities and Homeland Security improvements on the east side of the Terminal. TEIP will be located adjacent to the east ticket lobby, “infilling” the notch in the building at the existing loading dock. The expansion includes:

A larger, more efficient Secur ity Screening Checkpoint (SSCP) to accommodate up to 10 lanes;

Expansion of the Customs/International Arrivals processing area to accommodate up to 600 passengers per hour;

System upgrades and expansion of the Baggage Handling Systems;

Additional concessions opportunities at the Concourse level;

and Consolidation of Transportation Security Administration (TSA) offices and support spaces.

TEIP will provide approximately 55,000 square feet of newly constructed space and will also renovate an additional 15,000 square feet within the existing terminal.

Construction is anticipated to begin in October 2013.

The new Customs/International Arrivals processing area is scheduled to open in October 2014 and the new Security Screening Checkpoint is scheduled to open in May 2015.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 7:02 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I know this will be very nice and well designed and built, but my slight OCD is annoying me. It not being symmetrical will take some getting used to for me.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post

While the aircraft you list are correct for their categories, I wouldn't limit them to the "max capacity" you list for them.

For example, regional jets are known to go up to 100 seats on some models and mainline are closer to 200 seats, while the 757 can go over 200.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 9:41 PM

Quote:
I know this will be very nice and well designed and built, but my slight OCD is annoying me. It not being symmetrical will take some getting used to for me.
Yeah, I'm with you on the symmetrical. I like the design, maybe a duplicate will be built on the opposite end someday. Otherwise each upgrade will look modular and different and obviously added on rather than incorporated into the original design...a new chunk here and a new chunk there...That being said, it really is beautiful.

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 2, 2013 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Yeah, I'm with you on the symmetrical. I like the design, maybe a duplicate will be built on the opposite end someday. Otherwise each upgrade will look modular and different and obviously added on rather than incorporated into the original design...and new chunk here and a new chunk there...That being said, it really is beautiful.
It does look like they could build the same module on the west side. Agree on all above points. Lack of symmetry overall, but nicely designed.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 2:46 AM

Quite an impressive design. It does look unsymmetrical, but then again, Austin is weird.

@theGenral: They would have to demolish a chunk of the terminal in order to build a duplicate since there's already something existing there. Might still be constructed considering we're going to need extra space quicker or later for the terminal.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 4:13 AM

I'm confused by the layout, though.

I'm assuming the security checkpoints shown on the left side are on the upper (departures level) which is the same level as the gates and the check-in counters.

The Customs/International Arrivals (on the right) would be on the lower (arrivals) level which is the same level as all the other baggage carousels.

So in this rendering:

Where are these people who are at the top of the escalator? They're obviously not on the lower level. But it doesn't seem like they could be on the departures level either. The departures level is supposed to be where the security checkpoints are, but these people can look down and see the lower level. Are they on some kind of mezzanine between the two levels?

BTW I was looking at some documents from July at the Austin Airport Advisory Commission. It said that Frontier had moved from their Baggage Service Office to a different one and Southwest took over their vacated space (which was next to Southwest's existing space) so they could expand and that the project status was "in construction."

There was another project listed - "Relocation of Delta Airlines from Gate 3 to Gate 4 to create dual gate access to the FIS" and where it said "Status" it said "Recveived approval from Delta and is obtaining costs.

(FIS stands for Federal Inspection Station i.e. Customs and Immigration for the non-aviation geeks here.)

So I guess they'll be able to use both Gates 2 and 3 for international arrivals.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 6:18 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
So in this rendering:

Where are these people who are at the top of the escalator? They're obviously not on the lower level. But it doesn't seem like they could be on the departures level either. The departures level is supposed to be where the security checkpoints are, but these people can look down and see the lower level. Are they on some kind of mezzanine between the two levels?
Mike, if my memory serves, the current customs desk is literally on a landing midway between the upper concourse level and the ground level. A few years ago, I flew AM back from MEX and I faintly recall the queue on the stairs, but then having to go down more stairs to Claim 6 to fetch my bags.

That said, I, too, struggle with the renderings, particularly what the two people to the left of the escalator would be doing. In other words, I would expect this view to be what one would see upon getting to that mezzanine level (i.e. the current landing where FIS exists today), so there's really no business to be had going to the left. Probably just an artist's impression that people can, in fact, go that direction...?

Quote:
There was another project listed - "Relocation of Delta Airlines from Gate 3 to Gate 4 to create dual gate access to the FIS" and where it said "Status" it said "Recveived approval from Delta and is obtaining costs.

(FIS stands for Federal Inspection Station i.e. Customs and Immigration for the non-aviation geeks here.)

So I guess they'll be able to use both Gates 2 and 3 for international arrivals.
This is an interesting development. In effect, this means building a separate FIS hallway across the width of the existing concourse. I'm surprised that there is perceived demand for a third FIS gate before increasing the number of general use gates to extend the eastern concourse. In other words, this hallway would need to be removed to accommodate the future eastward expansion, not to mention the reconfiguration of Gate 3 to the south fascia of the existing terminal.

On a related note, does anyone know if AeroMar plans to use Gate 1? I'm sure that they can park a CRJ at Gate 2 (AM Express did this before their MEX service was canceled). I guess my question is that if AeroMar doesn't use Gate 1, what use does Gate 1 actually have at all?!?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey711MN View Post
This is an interesting development. In effect, this means building a separate FIS hallway across the width of the existing concourse. I'm surprised that there is perceived demand for a third FIS gate before increasing the number of general use gates to extend the eastern concourse. In other words, this hallway would need to be removed to accommodate the future eastward expansion, not to mention the reconfiguration of Gate 3 to the south fascia of the existing terminal.

On a related note, does anyone know if AeroMar plans to use Gate 1? I'm sure that they can park a CRJ at Gate 2 (AM Express did this before their MEX service was canceled). I guess my question is that if AeroMar doesn't use Gate 1, what use does Gate 1 actually have at all?!?
I noticed this too... seems like a waste of $$ not to just go expand out the 5 gates or whatever at this point. So in 5 years we'll need to ruin the international crossing to expand anyway. What gates are idle other than gate 1? Seems like a fast growing airport would not want to be in a position of only 1 gate of flexibility for growth...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey711MN View Post
In effect, this means building a separate FIS hallway across the width of the existing concourse. I'm surprised that there is perceived demand for a third FIS gate before increasing the number of general use gates to extend the eastern concourse. In other words, this hallway would need to be removed to accommodate the future eastward expansion, not to mention the reconfiguration of Gate 3 to the south fascia of the existing terminal.
IIRC, Gate 2 is what's called a swing gate. When passengers deplane there are a set of glass doors that lead out into the concourse and another set of doors that I presume lead from that jetway straight to Customs. If a domestic flight arrives at that gate, the glass doors leading into the concourse are unlocked and that's where passengers exit. If it's an international flight, those glass doors leading directly to the concourse are locked, which forces everyone to continue on to Customs.

For international passengers arriving at Gate 3, I wonder if it would be cheaper to just install one of those metal pull-down gates like what stores at malls use when they close for the night. It could run the width of the concourse, sectioning off Gates 2 and 3 from the rest of the concourse, and when pulled down, it would effectively prevent anyone deplaning at Gate 3 from entering the passenger concourse. They could deplane using Gate 3's jetway, cross over to Gate 2 and enter through those glass doors and then continue on towards Customs.

Once everyone was off the plane and through the glass doors at Gate 2 on the way to Customs, the glass doors could be re-locked, and then the pull-down metal gate sectioning off Gates 2 and 3 from the rest of the concourse could be pulled back up. It would only have to be used for international flights arriving at Gate 3.

And I don't know where Aeromar will be.

ATXboom, there really aren't any other gates that are not utilized other than Gate 3, but Virgin America uses Gate 21 (for one flight a day) and Frontier uses Gate 24 for 2-3 flights a day. I think the airlines have to utilize their gates on average 4 times per day or else they're subject to gate-sharing provisions.

I don't know where Allegiant will be but they'll probably end up sharing a gate with Virgin America or Frontier is my guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin