HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I think it safe to assume you are referring to ABIA's jetways which need improvement, correct?

The airport, currently, has only one "terminal" with 24 contact gates or jetways (plus one non-contact gate). The "South Terminal" is under redevelopment and will have three non-contact gates. And as you already are aware, the nine contact gate expansion will not be complete for a few more years. But, at least, construction is underway! Yippee!
My correction. Speaking of ABIA, I was very please with the new security layout that was recently installed.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 2:41 AM

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 8:45 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I agree... If he is only going by air traffic without looking at a wide range of indicators, I'd hardly call that a doom and gloom sign of the local economy.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 9:51 PM

Not sure where the sources are, but the Wikipedia indicates the Miami route is being downgraded to AE, and SNA is being cut by Southwest. It's been a while since any routes have proven to be a failure (well maybe not that long ago).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
Not sure where the sources are, but the Wikipedia indicates the Miami route is being downgraded to AE, and SNA is being cut by Southwest. It's been a while since any routes have proven to be a failure (well maybe not that long ago).
I'm not sure that these routes have failed. SWA cut many of it's routes from SNA and while American downgraded the Miami flight to AE, it will instead be flown 3 times a day as opposed to 2 times a day.

Anyways, any news on new routes or the south terminal/ expansion?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:51 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS View Post
I'm not sure that these routes have failed. SWA cut many of it's routes from SNA and while American downgraded the Miami flight to AE, it will instead be flown 3 times a day as opposed to 2 times a day.

Anyways, any news on new routes or the south terminal/ expansion?
The South Terminal is being run by a private company so they don't put much effort in updating anything. I'm holding out hope that Aeromexico moves to the South Terminal and offers a flight to Monterrey in addition to the current Mexico City route. Volaris is here but they have a small presence in Monterrey. Viva Aerobus used the same building 10 years ago to fly direct to Monterrey and are the main airline out of Monterrey but they don't have a presence at the Austin Airport. They all have directs from Monterrey to San Antonio so probably means Austin is unlikely. Sigh....

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:10 PM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 9:03 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
They are working like gangbusters on the South terminal. Opening has been pushed up by a month. Looking like a March or April opening.

CBP will not staff the South terminal so all scheduled international service not having preclearance, Air Canada being the only one, will process thru the Barbara Jordan terminal CBP port of entry.
Awesome News. Private projects always go so much faster than government. So are you saying they'll bus Air Canada passengers and luggage to the customs checkpoint at the Main Terminal from the south terminal? That seems like a hassle. I guess they'll have to have some kind of system since people might try to mix airlines and connect in Austin and have to move from the main terminal to the south. I guess I would have to hope that a route to Monterrey could happen even without an airline moving to the south terminal...

I flew international last week and had the gate with the longest temporary walkway from the terminal to the plane. It took about 3 minutes to get through it. It's cool that you can really see the work that they're doing on the North Terminal expansion. All the concrete is ripped up.

Really looking forward to seeing the new airport master plan since the original one has been thrown out. Building a new terminal just west of the main terminal makes the most sense IMO. Cars,buses,taxis still use the same road infrastructure that's there but you just have the option of taking a fork in the road to get to the new terminal or continue to the old one. You're close to the west runway and you have so much unused space. You might have to build another parking garage over a lot. I really don't like the idea of adding more gates to the front of the main terminal. You double the planes without adding additional capacity for security checkpoints, airline kiosks, restaurants etc.

The other option is to build a giant south terminal at the other end of the airport grounds but that would require such a tremendous amount of infrastructure improvements.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Awesome News. Private projects always go so much faster than government. So are you saying they'll bus Air Canada passengers and luggage to the customs checkpoint at the Main Terminal from the south terminal?
Toronto has pre-clearance so they need not visit customs here. Anyways, I doubt Air Canada will use the South Terminal.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
Toronto has pre-clearance so they need not visit customs here. Anyways, I doubt Air Canada will use the South Terminal.
Yeah seriously. Isn't the South Terminal supposed to be a ULCC terminal or has that changed now? Air Canada is definitely not a low cost carrier, unless other carriers have been interested in the terminal anyways?

Everyone likes cheap fares including myself, but I want to have some dignity while I fly, including what facility I happen to land into (not that I have control over that, but I would hope the carriers would understand that to an extent).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
Everyone likes cheap fares including myself, but I want to have some dignity while I fly, including what facility I happen to land into (not that I have control over that, but I would hope the carriers would understand that to an extent).
Yeah me too, I like to have some dignity when I fly too, that's pretty hilarious because I completely get what you are saying. I've been critical of the south terminal thinking it won't be representative of the rest of ABIA or Austin. But while I am still old school and would rather dress up than down when I fly, I still end up in dumps like Newark and LaGuadia when I go to NY.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 5:45 PM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Sorry about any confusion regarding Air Canada. They currently and will continue to use the Barbara Jordan terminal. They will not use the South terminal. Allegiant is the only airline currently serving ABIA that has signed a MOU for the South terminal.
Heheh, it's fine. I'd feel disappointed in Air Canada if they tried to cut costs by downgrading their status to ULCC by using that terminal. Certainly if BA chose to fly their 777/789 there! I mean taxi*

How many flights does AAY get in daily? I know they do a lot of "twice weeklies".

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 11:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Sorry about any confusion regarding Air Canada. They currently and will continue to use the Barbara Jordan terminal. They will not use the South terminal. Allegiant is the only airline currently serving ABIA that has signed a MOU for the South terminal.
Frontier is commonly listed as a possible tenant as well in news coverage.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 7:21 PM

Tower Tour

Does anyone know if the tower offers tours for plane spotters?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 2:07 PM
Air Traffic Controller

We can give you a tour. Call the main number 512.369.7800 and let them know you'd like a tour. You'll get to see all the air traffic controller side of things as well as all the planes and construction from the tower. We've got some binoculars up there as well.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 1:40 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCZERO View Post
We can give you a tour. Call the main number 512.369.7800 and let them know you'd like a tour. You'll get to see all the air traffic controller side of things as well as all the planes and construction from the tower. We've got some binoculars up there as well.

Seriously????

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Sounds awesome!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 1:04 AM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Seriously????
Yep! The only requirement is that you are a US citizen and don't bring prohibited items onto federal grounds. We do tours a lot. If you schedule one between Monday and Friday 8-3, someone from the front office can show you around. Any other time it would be a controller showing you around.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Any other time it would be a controller showing you around.
I guess that would explain non weather related holding patterns...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin