HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 2:24 AM

I'm surprised given the title of the thread that there isn't a category for what many would term "culture": fine arts, performing arts and museums.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I'm surprised given the title of the thread that there isn't a category for what many would term "culture": fine arts, performing arts and museums.
True. "Dating/partner" seems a strange inclusion wrt "cultural consumption".

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 2:08 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
True. "Dating/partner" seems a strange inclusion wrt "cultural consumption".

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 2:23 PM

Food: I am a big fan of Asian food, be it Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai..
Music: Almost everything from gold rock to whatever new song you hear on the radio today.
Travel destinations: I have travelled around Europe a lot. I am done going there for a long time now. My next destination will be in Asia.
TV: TLC, Discovery Channel, National Geographic and the equivalents in French, mostly.
Driving: I am a American car type of guy. My actual car is a Chevy Cruze.
Books: I rarely read books (I don't like novels), but I read science and history magazines.
Sports: Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Impact, Montreal Alouettes, Toronto Blue Jays, Toronto Raptors, Chicago Bears
Dating/partner: Asian only. I am not really attracted to Caucasian women. My girlfriend is Filipina.
Alcoholic beverage: Beer, especially strong Belgium beers, and wine
Newspaper: Le Droit, La Presse (mobile), Ottawa Citizen
Hobbies: roadtrips, photography, hiking, movies...

Last edited by le calmar; May 24, 2016 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 2:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I am a boring eccentric.

Food: Extremely eclectic, gourmet tourtière, gourmet burgers, gourmet poutine, Lebanese, Thai, merguez, Dim Sum, sushi, shawarma, gazpacho, osso bucco, raclette is all stuff I love. I don't really eat fast food, but if I have absolutely no choice it will be Subway.
Music: I don't listen to any contemporary rock even though I was really into it as a kid. So the rock music I listen to is from the 60-70- 80s to the early 90s. I am aware of contemporary pop music (Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, etc.) through my kids. If it's my choice it's sometimes classical, with some Québécois and also some French chansons like Charles Aznavour, etc. I also like world beat (for lack of a better term) stuff like Rachid Taha, Cesaria Evora, Juan Luis Guerra, Myriam Makeba, Manu Chao, Angélique Kidjo, etc.
Travel destinations: I've never been to an all-inclusive down south in my life. I like experiential, cultural trips as opposed to R-and-R trips. I love Europe in particular and have been there tons of times.
TV: I don't watch any TV series faithfully as I am too busy. So I'll watch an episode as a one-off based on what grabs my attention. Sitcoms don't do anything for me and I am a bit turned off by the gory cop shows à la CSI that were so in vogue in recent years. I deliberately seek out award-winning TV shows from foreign countries just to see what they are like. Stuff like Borgen from Denmark or the original Henning Mankell/Kurt Wallander series from Sweden.
Driving: I drive a medium-sized North American SUV. Not by choice but out of necessity as I am always ferrying a bunch of kids. It's American because a friend owns a dealership and I get good deals. In another scenario my preference would likely go to a Volvo or a Volks based on my personal taste.
Books: I read few books from the Anglosphere. Most of the books I read are historical or politically based, either fiction or non-fiction. Usually from Quebec but a lot from France as well. Sometimes from other countries too.

Last edited by Acajack; May 25, 2016 at 1:36 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 2:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Sports:

The league I follow the most "for the league" is probably the CFL. I am a fan of both Ottawa and Montreal.

I like the Montreal Canadiens and the Ottawa Senators to some degree but other than them I don't follow the league much.

NFL: playoffs and Super Bowl only

MLB, NBA: not much, passing interest if Toronto surprises people

A bit of CIS (football) and CHL as well.

World soccer: World Cup, Euro, Champions League I like to follow when I can

I also have a passing interest in Aussie rules and rugby but not much time to follow.

Also like F1, WTA-ATP and very big on the Olympics.

No PGA for me.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 2:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Dating/partner: My wife is a black-haired French Canadian with fairly close aboriginal origins. She basically looks like she has a tan 12 months of the year. My kids are largely the same and have a southern European skin tone.

Before my wife my girlfriends were all over the map in terms of origins and skin tone, hair colour. Owing to where I grew up and lived I haven't had that many French Canadian girlfriends before her. Only one or two.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Alcoholic beverage: I'll drink anything but for my own personal choices and purchases it's 99% wine and beer. Generally red wine. Maybe a bit of rosé if it's hot in the summer. I don't drink the Labatt's Blue and al. class of beer unless it's free.

I don't drink much hard liquor and have rum and Jack Daniel's and such in my house that haven't been touched in years. Got them as gifts. Might be pressed to bring them out if I have guests who want some.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Newspaper: almost too many to mention. Le Droit, Ottawa Citizen, Globe and Mail, La Presse, Le Devoir, L'Acadie Nouvelle, Le Monde, New York Times, The Economist, La Repubblica, El Pais... also online news sites like CNN, BBC, etc.

I'll immediately go on local news sites if something is happening in one part of the world as I know how to easily find them. For example, RTBF and Le Soir during the Brussels attacks.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Hobbies: cycling, swimming, ice skating, x-country skiing, art house (repertory) movies, news junkie, SSP

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:11 PM

Food: I will eat anything. The quickest way to my heart is through my stomach! I enjoy Balkan foods, Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Indian in particular. Cheese - also I could eat my weight in cheese.

Music: I listen to a lot of classical when focusing - Dvorak, Liszt, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Stravinsky - the Slavic fieriness is appealing.

When I'm letting my hair down I listen to EDM (90s eurodance, trance, house), some rock, some pop, really whatever is appealing. I enjoy melody-driven music in general.

Travel destinations: I travel numerous times a year, but Italy is always my favourite. Between the food, culture, language, sights, history.. I can never get bored.

TV: I don't watch much TV. I enjoy scifi movies/series (special shout out to Star Trek and the fact I've seen every episode and movie produced), historical movies (from Hollywood or Bollywood) and good old fashioned action movies (preference for 80s action flicks with Schwarzenegger).. Can't forget James Bond either.

Driving: I drive a Nissan Sentra. I like sedans but driving is a distant secondary in my life. Not a car nut at all. If I have only one requirement from my vehicles, it's that they be red.

Books: Big big big fan of Michael Crichton. Otherwise, it's easy to get me lost in a good book, as long as I get into it by the first few chapters.

Dating: Tall, dark and handsome. I seem to get along with ex-Yugos really well. Gotta keep it in the ethnic pool apparently.

Sports: Huge hockey fan, less so with other sports. Passive interest in playing tennis.

Newspapers: G&M, Toronto Star and National Post for local news. Various sources for international.

Hobbies: Many to list, but generally tied into the stuff I talk about on here.

Forgot alcohol - because I don't drink. If I do, usually a glass of wine or a pint of beer. Hard liquor makes me nauseous.

Last edited by flipv; May 24, 2016 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:29 PM
arf

Food: cook at home, but I love Mexican, Vietnamese
Music: Jazz, folky-rock, alternative and some electronic and some rock
Travel destinations: the mountains, Mexico
TV: Cartoons and documentaries on Netflix, Walking Dead
Driving: transit mostly, car for errands and kids
Books: I read a lot (>60 books a year) of almost anything, but am currently enjoying reading books by authors from other countries (currently reading authors from Samoa, Haiti, and Russia)
Sports: I follow almost everything outside of the fighting sports and golf, but the favorites are NHL (almost all teams, seriously, I love hockey), CFL (Roughriders), Tennis
Dating/partner: married
Alcoholic beverage: beer, beer, beer, wine if I'm cooking with it
Newspaper: hahaha! none, I read cbc.ca online for my news
Hobbies: piano, guitar, reading, Lego

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

How about sharing some stuff that we're not into to? (Especially if it diverges from the mainstream.)

I was nuts about video games as a teen but lost interest in them when I got into my 20s. I haven't gone back to them since and I don't play any video games at all: not on my TV, not on my phone. Never.

I am not into "fantasy" stuff at all: no Dungeons and Dragons, no Lord of the Rings, no Game of Thrones. Nothing of that sort. I do like science-fiction of the Star Wars and Star Trek variety. Somewhat. I absolutely hate it when outer space stuff is mixed in with medieval shit in movies and TV.

I drink no hot beverages at all except maybe for a hot chocolate if partaking in winter sports.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:47 PM

Food: I cook as much as I can. BBQ, French (especially pastry), Mexican, a bit of Indian. Not a fan of sushi. Not because of the raw issue, but because it doesn't have much flavour, to me. Bland.
Music: Mostly indy folk and rock.
Travel destinations: Been to Caribbean and Hawaii and all over the US, but prefer HI. Heading to Europe this fall. Looking forward to interesting cultural things, but don't really like crowds.
TV: Aside from Gotham and a couple of shows like Top Gear, watch almost no TV
Driving: VW's and Hondas. Just bought a '16 Jetta.
Books: I used to read fiction constantly, but now mostly just on vacation, where I devour 5 books a week. Mostly sci-fi.
Sports: Don't play or watch any. Work out regularly, though.
Dating/partner: Been married to blonde, brunette and now redhead. All are Caucasian.
Alcoholic beverage: Gin and tonic or gin martini. I like trying different beers, but non-clear alcohol seems to give me a headache.
Newspaper: None. Read CBC and BBC and CNN (for laughs) for news.
Hobbies: Video games (MMOs, sims). Working on the house (I'm a handyman).

Last edited by Nashe; May 24, 2016 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
How about sharing some stuff that we're not into to? (Especially if it diverges from the mainstream.)

I was nuts about video games as a teen but lost interest in them when I got into my 20s. I haven't gone back to them since and I don't play any video games at all: not on my TV, not on my phone. Never.

I am not into "fantasy" stuff at all: no Dungeons and Dragons, no Lord of the Rings, no Game of Thrones. Nothing of that sort. I do like science-fiction of the Star Wars and Star Trek variety. Somewhat. I absolutely hate it when outer space stuff is mixed in with medieval shit in movies and TV.

I drink no hot beverages at all except maybe for a hot chocolate if partaking in winter sports.
I'm not into fantasy stuff at all, either. And, yeah, when medieval shit is mixed in with sci-fi, the night is ruined.

I'm a millennial, but I think tattoos are stupid. Nothing lasts forever, especially youthful taut skin. I want to find ways to invest in a tattoo removal place, because I think this fad will be over in 5 years and I want to find a way to make money off of its demise. When they're old enough to be comedians, the children of Millennials will use tattoos as an object of mockery of my generation.

I'm not a video game guy, either. There were a few computer games I used to be in to like Command and Conquer, the original Call of Duty and the Civilization series, but I felt that those took up a lot of my time and, strangely, when I stopped playing them years ago I never felt the urge to go back.

In the world of beer, I don't like the Radler trend. I find my beer tastes have come full circle; I now drink lagers and Kolsches that resemble the German lagers and Pilsners I drank 10-12 years ago before microbreweries were a thing.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 5:41 PM

With the exception of Lord of the Ring, I was never into medieval fantasy stuff either... I like historical movies though (realistic ones, no fantasy). Same for superheroes movies, I've never found that appealing. I think the last one I watched was the first Spiderman movie.

I am still playing videogames, but not on PC. For the last few weeks I've been playing matches on Battlefield 4. I've been missing out on some great PC games though, since I like simulation games. But I don't like the idea of having to play on my desk instead of my couch.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Food: Sharma, hummus, pizza, potaetoes etc.
Music: American jazz/classical blues rock.
Travel destinations: The alps mainly austria germany.
TV: Is HBO a place? /Sci fi filmed in toronto
Driving: Hate cars although worship tesla motors/ In reality I love the new bombardier rail cars
Books: history/history/anthropology/scifi
Sports:Use to love soccer, won't watch it now that my ankles are shot.
Dating/partner: 7th generation Canadian My dating history suggests I go for exclusively amazing light colored eyes(silver/green).
Alcoholic beverage: wine although I try very hard not to drink.

Newspaper: I guess Aljazeera/cnbc business are my favorite newsertainment sources, and I like the pictures in nat geo.

Hobbies: Hiking/urban exploring, languages, history, music, culture.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:04 PM

Food: American, Canadian, Japanese
Music: American, British
Travel destinations: Much prefer traveling to West/Central Europe, plus Northeast USA
TV: American, some Canadian (HGTV lol)
Driving: Japanese (Mazda)
Books: American, though admittably I don't read much
Sports: New York Jets, Toronto Maple Leafs, St. John's Ice Caps
Dating/partner: No preference, girlfriend is short and blonde/brunette mix
Alcoholic beverage: American, some Canadian, and Belgian beers
Newspaper: Usually stick to CBC news NL (online)
Hobbies: Beer brewing, retro video game playing + collecting, guitar (though it's been a while since I've played)

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
With the exception of Lord of the Ring, I was never into medieval fantasy stuff either... I like historical movies though (realistic ones, no fantasy). Same for superheroes movies, I've never found that appealing. I think the last one I watched was the first Spiderman movie.
I'm not into superhero movies at all either.

Again, this is a departure from when I was a kid when I loved superhero comics, TV shows and movies. (Though they didn't have the huge blockbuster movies like they have today.)

I had all the anglophone soft-cover comics from DC and Marvel. I just loved them.

In addition to the francophone world's comics in large-size hard cover albums like Tintin, Astérix, Gaston La Gaffe, Achille Talon, Lucky Luke, Spirou, etc.
(In the latter case, these comics were one of the rare areas where I had a large amount of exposure to francophone culture as a child.)

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'm not into superhero movies at all either.

Again, this is a departure from when I was a kid when I loved superhero comics, TV shows and movies. (Though they didn't have the huge blockbuster movies like they have today.)

I had all the anglophone soft-cover comics from DC and Marvel. I just loved them.

In addition to the francophone world's comics in large-size hard cover albums like Tintin, Astérix, Gaston La Gaffe, Achille Talon, Lucky Luke, Spirou, etc.
(In the latter case, these comics were one of the rare areas where I had a large amount of exposure to francophone culture as a child.)
Tintin, Asterix and Gaston are staples of my library. I have all the comics, hard cover too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada