HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 12:46 AM

Hey all

just so you all realize the buildings that are shown in these renderings are not the final designs of all of them.

the commercial building, the hotwl and the 2 25-storey condo buildings are the only ones that are per actual design since they are the ones that will be built first. the other 4 are only there to show estimated size they will be further designed when the time comes probably 2-3 years down the road assuming they do start construction on the first three in spring 2008 as they hope.

the place holder buildings are the ones used from the feasiblity study that was done a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 1:07 PM
BANNED

1) Does anyone have a diagram or document showing the exact height of the condo towers?

2) I thought this was interesting. Here's an image from the Barrel Yards Presentation Document showing the previous use of the site:

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 5:41 PM
Urban Advocate

IS this the only thread with Barrel Yards in it, or do we have multiple threads going.

So as much of a fan as I am of this project, I still think the surface parking (layout, amount) is going to be a big failure on the design aspect of this. The worst one is in the the most crutial spot for pedestrian integration and access (right behind the office building at the corner of Erb and FDB. The 2nd worst being in the Northwest corner of the site on FDB, but not nearly as bad.

I would say do on-street parking through there (parallel parking). Otherwise, it kills the integration on this corner.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 6:40 PM
I am a typical

Use instead:

[WaterlooR.-DWTN]BarrelYards|7 towers|34-76m|10-25fl|Approved

Needs less room.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
IS this the only thread with Barrel Yards in it, or do we have multiple threads going.
As far as I know, this is the only thread.

Quote:
So as much of a fan as I am of this project, I still think the surface parking (layout, amount) is going to be a big failure on the design aspect of this. The worst one is in the the most crutial spot for pedestrian integration and access (right behind the office building at the corner of Erb and FDB. The 2nd worst being in the Northwest corner of the site on FDB, but not nearly as bad.

I would say do on-street parking through there (parallel parking). Otherwise, it kills the integration on this corner.
I agree any reduction in surface parking would be welcomed.

However, I don't quite understand your comments on the worst spot (behind the office buildings). I thought Wells Lane is supposed to be somewhat of a street parking area.

Kind of like this photo from Wikipedia (although obviously the surrounding buildings are vastly different): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 7:37 PM
I am a typical

That's pretty perpendicular. Tilt them all about 20° and you can get more road area or sidewalk area. Enough room for some street trees as that scene is lacking somewhat.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 4:58 AM
Urban Advocate

No reason why it can't be 100% parallel parking. The parking you show above is disastrous for pedestrian activity and street-crossing, not to mention a dying trend in low traffic small towns where they were once popular. Look at Uxbridge. They're trying to get rid of parking like this in their downtown and it's become a hot-button issue in the town.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 3:40 PM

I can see some trucks out there today. Looks like they're taking some core samples again. They did this awhile ago (in the fall)?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleQ View Post
I can see some trucks out there today. Looks like they're taking some core samples again. They did this awhile ago (in the fall)?

Are you guys stalking the construction workers? Just because it is your first real development, you don't have to go overboard. Glad a London company could come there to build some towers for you. We have so many that we want to share with our poorer cousins.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 1:40 AM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Are you guys stalking the construction workers? Just because it is your first real development, you don't have to go overboard. Glad a London company could come there to build some towers for you. We have so many that we want to share with our poorer cousins.
GreatJealousLondoner2, are you stalking the KW section and KW-related posts?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleQ View Post
Thanks for the update, and feel free to keep them coming. Don't worry about GreatTallNorth2, he's just envious that KW is growing twice as fast as his city.

Quote:
it is your first real development
Yeah, because the Bauer Lofts, Kaufman Lofts, UW Health Sciences Campus, etc.. aren't real developments. Get a life and stop trolling our section.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Heh, no, I have nothing better to do these days than to stare out the window at work.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 8:44 PM

Quote:
our poorer cousins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
GreatJealousLondoner2, are you stalking the KW section and KW-related posts?
, nope, he's just checking out our cool projects that are either under construction, or being planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterlooInvestor View Post
Yeah, because the Bauer Lofts, Kaufman Lofts, UW Health Sciences Campus, etc.. aren't real developments.
Those obviously aren't real, because they're not in London .

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 3:51 PM

I thought GreatTallNorth2 would be interested in knowing that the trucks are STILL out there!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 4:51 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 3:39 PM

Two Hotel Operators on BarrelYards shortlist

http://news.therecord.com/News/Local/article/310955
Quote:
Big hotel companies vie for a piece of Waterloo's largest development
February 19, 2008
LIZ MONTEIRO
RECORD STAFF

WATERLOO

Waterloo Region's biggest development, the BarrelYards project in Waterloo, has shortlisted two major hotel operators to set up shop on the property and will decide on one of them shortly.

"The hotel is a critical element of the development,'' said project co-ordinator Chris Pidgeon of GSP Group of Kitchener.

"It's a community feature, a facility that supports the local tech industry."

The $250-million project, about five hectares (12.7 acres) on the former Canbar lands, will be built by London-based Auburn Developments, which is also developing the Arrow Lofts in Kitchener.

Waterloo city hall approved the plans last June. The project will include highrise apartment buildings, condos, townhouses and retail and office space.

The office space could include a corporate company head office, Pidgeon said.

The project will include two hotels -- a 140-unit all-suite hotel and a 140-unit short-stay hotel often used by people attending tournaments.

Both hotels are expected to be run by one operator, Pidgeon said.

He would wouldn't name the potential hotel operators.

The all-suites hotel will be a premier executive-style hotel, Pidgeon said."It's something unique."

Representatives of the nearby Perimeter Institute and the Centre for International Governance Innovation said they desperately need a high-end hotel for delegates coming into the area for conferences.

The first part of the project likely to get started in the spring is the 21-storey apartment building along Father David Bauer Drive.

It could take up to seven years to complete the entire project, Pidgeon said.

About 1,000 underground parking spots will be available and 400 spaces above ground.

Auburn Developments bought the property in 2005.

The property, which was once home to the Canbar fibreglass and plastics manufacturing business, underwent an environmental cleanup and passed a Ministry of the Environment audit.

Pidgeon said the project has a Toronto feel with mixed residential, hotels and retail space.

"We think this city is ready for this,'' he said.
It's good news that Auburn has operators lined up. It gives the project more legitimacy. I can imagine that they're probably having a hard time securing enough tenants to lease out a significant chunk of their massive office complex. I'm not sure how I feel about the same operator running both hotels though. I suppose it could go either way. I wonder who would be in a position to be able to operator an all suites and an standard run of the mill hotel? Marriott or Hilton?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 4:24 PM
Cambridgite

"The first part of the project likely to get started in the spring is the 21-storey apartment building along Father David Bauer Drive."

Sweet! Now let's just hope that doesn't get pushed back to a later date like almost every other project.

Considering how desperately a high-end uptown hotel is needed, I wonder why they aren't starting with that...

"The property, which was once home to the Canbar fibreglass and plastics manufacturing business, underwent an environmental cleanup and passed a Ministry of the Environment audit."

Amazing! The worst part of these projects isn't even necessary this time!!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 4:51 PM

Rumour (source: Waterloo Inn employees) was that Marriott was one of the leading contenders.

But Marriott or Hilton... doesn't matter to me. This project is massive for Uptown Waterloo and I am so happy that it all starts this Spring.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 4:58 PM
Urban Advocate

Securing tenants for the office portion is key as I have heard from several unnamed sources. So much so, that the lack of tenant looking for any significant space has put things on hold... (just waiting for someone I guess).

Any idea what the psf price is for the office lease?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 8:35 PM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Securing tenants for the office portion is key as I have heard from several unnamed sources. So much so, that the lack of tenant looking for any significant space has put things on hold... (just waiting for someone I guess).

I find this kind of surprising. Isn't uptown Waterloo one of the more desirable areas for office space? WaterlooInvestor, do you know what the office vacancy rate is for uptown? I suspect it is a lot lower than downtown.

Quote:
Any idea what the psf price is for the office lease?
No idea...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario