HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 3:36 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Does anyone know the location of the old Port Arthur General Hospital?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Does anyone know the location of the old Port Arthur General Hospital?
Northeast corner of Algoma and Clavet.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 3:47 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
Northeast corner of Algoma and Clavet.
Thank you.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 10:44 PM

Former Taco Time location at River & Cumberland is being fixed up and cleaned up in hopes of attracting a new tenant. Building was getting fairly run down.

Former Can-Op station at Kingsway & Empire should be occupied again soon. The building is going to be re-purposed for office space for a newer company in town. Renovations are underway currently.

Construction has begun on The Keg. Work is underway on two very small additions. The restaurant is going to be fully closed during the winter for renovations to the entire dining area. Also hearing Tony 'n Adams will be closed for a month or so for renovations to their restaurant/bar area. That renovation sounds much more imminent.

A bit of older news, but yet to be posted... Manshield has been kicked off the waterfront project by the developer. Pomerleau will be taking over construction activities, including finishing the second condo building, repairing deficiencies in the first building, and building the hotel. Construction on the hotel has now been delayed until late winter/early spring.

Rumour mill is turning again concerning the Thunder Bay Country Club, and the failed condo project on the property. Media is reporting a local investor(s) may be stepping in now. Wouldn't be surprised since the financial fallout is now being sorted out, and the project as it was has basically been bankrupted.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 1:49 AM

Thunder Bay International Airport has two tenders out at the moment. The first is for a new building envelope for one of their rental buildings. The second is for architectural and design services for significant upgrades to the main terminal building. The airport has been working towards this renovation for a few years now due to increasing passenger volumes, and the age of the existing building.

A company out of Toronto is eyeing Nipigon for a LNG project in order to supply other north-shore towns with natural gas. Northeast Midstream's proposal would see a facility built in Nipigon, at the end of the current natural gas pipeline. The facility would take the gaseous form and covert it into liquefied natural gas, at which point it would be moved on to Schreiber, Terrace Bay, Marathon etc. The terrain along the north-shore of Lake Superior does not permit construction of a affordable pipeline, so this is being pitched as the alternative.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:55 AM

Fresh Air Experience is taking over the former George O'Hill Supply location on Balmoral. Interior of the building is being completely renovated first. Temporary location only... Fresh Air will move back to their May St. location in 2016 when that building has been restored.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 2:11 PM

Small building going up on Victoria Ave. between Northwood Dental and Edward St. Not sure what for, but likely another four-plex, or a small commercial building.

Demo permit was issued a few weeks ago for Lowe's to start dismantling the former Intercity Target location. Does not appear much is being done yet. Should be lots of action throughout the winter though.

Renovations at Tony & Adam's have begun. Should continue through fall and into winter.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 9:47 PM
I am a typical

The renovation of the Target store will require removing the concrete floor and laying down a thicker concrete floor. The current floor is too thin to support all of the merchandise Lowe's carries.

Anyone know what is going on between Canadian Oil Change and the old East Side Mario's?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Anyone know what is going on between Canadian Oil Change and the old East Side Mario's?
On their highway billboard they are promoting "Great Canadian Car Wash" coming soon, so I'm guessing it is that.

Also, hi everyone. I've been lurking here for years to get the local scoop, just never had anything to post until now.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 12:56 AM
I am a typical

Excellent first post. Thank you.

The May Street rebuild project is already paved, so it's a good month ahead of schedule compared to last year. I think it will actually be finished before November! (Last one finished around November 20th I think). The entire street looks very good now, and properties are being fixed up. Now we just need to fix up Arthur Street.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Now we just need to fix up Arthur Street.
Man you are NEVER happy are you?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 3:16 AM

Quote:

The May Street rebuild project is already paved, so it's a good month ahead of schedule compared to last year. I think it will actually be finished before November! (Last one finished around November 20th I think). The entire street looks very good now, and properties are being fixed up. Now we just need to fix up Arthur Street.
They are not even close to being done on May st. From Miles to Cummings is completely torn up doing sewer work. Cummings to Dease is paved , still needs lines done , cement between curbs to sidewalk , landscaping , street lamps , and more.....You better go take another look ....lol...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 12:18 AM
I am a typical

I live in the neighbourhood. It's a lot further along at this point than the other stretch was. They're moving ahead at a good pace compared to last year.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 1:52 PM

Working on an old street in an older neighbourhood, one can never know what to expect. Definitely the reality on May St. Same contractor got tied up doing the twinning of the storm sewers on James St. earlier this year because things on paper were much different than in the ground. Hand digging around services down an arterial road really slows progress. Can't use machinery when you don't know what is where in the ground. Definitely impacts other projects and timelines. Nature of the business.

=====

Nadin Contracting is putting an addition on their shop on Fortune St. Definitely required with the recent growth the company has experienced.

The parent company of Gardewine Transport has acquired Courtesy Freight Systems on Simpson St. No details on how this will affect each of the two company's terminals in Thunder Bay, or if Courtesy will be rolled into the Gardewine brand. Unfortunately for Thunder Bay, the press release does state the parent company will be looking for 'synergies' between the two freight companies.

Last edited by TbayON; Oct 10, 2015 at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 8:57 PM
I am a typical

Regarding Mullen's purchase of Courtesy—from what I know, Courtesy Courier will remain separate from Gardewine for the foreseeable future. Gardewine and Courtesy have been co-operating with shipping on certain routes for the past year now, so they're already used to working together, but they won't be merged into a single company, at least not at the present time.

At the McKellar ward meeting on Tuesday, the owner of Nadin Contracting was present and asked about extending sewer service to Fortune Street. Many people aren't aware, but that area has no sewer lines and those properties use septic fields. The other properties on that street are sharing a large septic tank which is in poor condition but refuse to help pay for the cost of installing sewer service. The street is due for a rebuild in 2016 or 2017, so if it gets approved it will occur then. Looking at how many subsidiaries Mullen has in the trucking/logistics arm of its business, I don't think they will merge them at all unless philosophies at their corporate office change. They seem to prefer keeping all the companies they've bought somewhat separate from each other.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:12 AM

Tender for alterations to future Lowe's Thunder Bay is out. Tom Jones is the general contractor on the project... good to see a big box chain the size of Lowe's using local contractors.

Still no word on who the successful bidder for the Thunder Bay Fire Management HQ was, or when it will break ground. Probably be spring now if I had to guess.

Main structural elements of the Carpenter's Union Hall and Training centre is just about up in Innova Park.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 4:05 AM

Will T-Bay ever get a Costco??? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the only city in Canada with over 100,000 people that doesn't have one.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 8:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Will T-Bay ever get a Costco??? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the only city in Canada with over 100,000 people that doesn't have one.
I am surprised it doesn't. Some of the Maritime cities have one, and they are smaller. Fredericton has one, and it's population is that of North Bay's.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 12:06 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Too many Walmarts to compete with maybe?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:44 AM
I am a typical

It's "in the works" according to the mayor, and word of mouth from numerous Costco employees in Winnipeg and Sudbury, but nothing official has been announced.

We almost got one about a decade ago, but Walmart and Superstore successfully convinced city council (which is nearly identical to what we had back then) to vote against the zoning amendment for it, and it got cancelled.

It will likely go into Innova Park (NE of the Highway 11/17 & 61 intersection).

A lot of people here are members of the Duluth and Winnipeg Costcos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario