HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 9:11 PM
Ex Houstonian

Sage road and westheimer.

2200 post oak is basically done.

New whole foods on post oak.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 9:34 PM

@Photolith, thanks for the update. That shot of uptown with 2200 Post Oak is a really cool vantage point. A pretty little skyline coming along for that stretch.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 12:57 AM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
The traffic arguments for new apartments and highrises is so dumb, sorry. But how many people live in these kinds of buildings? Maybe 500 people. 500 extra people a day is not going to effect the traffic in a city where there are probably 80,000 people a day drive past that location.
Actually, your argument is the dumb one. Sorry. Why do you think there was so much opposition to the Ashby Tower? The streets over there are narrow and the traffic is already horrendous.

I travel on these streets often, which is why I brought up the issue of traffic. I am up and down Kirby, Richmond and Weslayan enough to know that traffic could potentially be a problem. While 500 more people with about 300-400 additional residential cars - not to mention visitors - doesn't sound like a lot to you......it could be a potential problem - especially if the other corners are developed with similar or more dense development.

As stated before, I hope it gets built, but that doesn't mean we can't question specifics and the impact - good or bad - it may have on the community.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch City View Post
Actually, your argument is the dumb one. Sorry. Why do you think there was so much opposition to the Ashby Tower? The streets over there are narrow and the traffic is already horrendous.

I travel on these streets often, which is why I brought up the issue of traffic. I am up and down Kirby, Richmond and Weslayan enough to know that traffic could potentially be a problem. While 500 more people with about 300-400 additional residential cars - not to mention visitors - doesn't sound like a lot to you......it could be a potential problem - especially if the other corners are developed with similar or more dense development.

As stated before, I hope it gets built, but that doesn't mean we can't question specifics and the impact - good or bad - it may have on the community.

Luckily for us, the voters of Houston have approved METRO's rail extension network, as they have wisely anticipated the fact that there will be almost 12 million people in the Houston region in the next 50 years and the city must get more dense to survive. So, luckily we have additional transportation options on the way to relieve traffic congestion issues .............OH WAIT.......... they didn't approve to the current rail funding in November.

If there are traffic problems....... they fall on NO ONE ELSE but the voters of Houston themselves. Not the Ashby Highrise, not the residents, not the developers....

Not only have they, on MULTIPLE occasions, voted DOWN zoning but they once again have spoken out against MASS TRANSIT. Something that can easily move thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people around the city. Imagine if everyone who need to get in Manhattan on a typical workday had to do so via CAR ONLY!! Of course there would be traffic congestion and YES it would slow down economic opportunity. And so they have efficient people movers keeping the city moving instead of waiting in traffic jams. You have to have these people movers.

Instead of having the University and Post Oak Line already DONE allowing people to easily get to and out of the retail district, we are going to see the typical 'cluster' of cars all around Uptown now through January. Have fun!

Dense housing towers are coming because our city is reaching the point where land is scarce and these are the most efficient ways of developing the land.

Houstonians will learn to adapt eventually.

Last edited by Bailey; Nov 25, 2012 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 2:52 AM

I still think those black/silver striped towers in Uptown on Post Oak are the best looking buildings ever built in that area. I believe they were built in the 70s. Anyone know the names of the buildings and the designer? Is/was the name Post Oak Central? You can see them on the left behind the new 2200 Post Oak in one of Photolith's pics.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 6:22 PM
Dryer lint inspector

1,2 & 3 Post Oak Central. They were designed by Philip Johnson in late 70's/ early 80's.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 8:32 PM
Ex Houstonian

Recladding of the government building downtown.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 8:50 PM

I was there last week and that building is going to look soooo much better with the new cladding. It's almost like Houston is getting a whole new building!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 11:11 PM
Ex Houstonian

Shit tons of new construction, including the new 400 some odd foot tall anadarko tower in the woodlands and a mid rise going up along the woodlands waterway.

The anadarko petroleum tower which will be as tall if not taller then the current anadarko tower next door.

A new mid rise across the street which I think is close to TO.

The woodlands now looks like freaking Dubai with all the construction cranes all over the place. There's another random 3 towers going up across the woodlands plus more cranes at the woodlands medical district along 45 that I haven't taken photos of yet.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 4:28 AM

Anyone know if there are any height restrictions in the Woodlands? It's starting to actually get a nice skyline for a small city.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 5:45 AM

The height restrictions were removed when Mitchell sold The Woodlands 10 or so years ago. When George was still in charge, no building could pass the tree tops. That's why many of the older office buildings are only 7 or 8 stories. Clearly that is no longer the case. There is soon to be two 400+ foot tall towers plus a 20+ story tower on the waterway plus the condo tower.

Btw, for those that were wondering if any of the Exxon buildings would be seen over the trees, I believe that question has been answered. The answer is YES! I was home for Thanksgiving and passed by the location several times and you can clearly see a building sticking up over the tree line. How much taller it will get is beyond me.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
1,2 & 3 Post Oak Central. They were designed by Philip Johnson in late 70's/ early 80's.
always thought they would fit comfortably in la defense. (also a fan)

also: 2929 - damn.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post
The height restrictions were removed when Mitchell sold The Woodlands 10 or so years ago. When George was still in charge, no building could pass the tree tops. That's why many of the older office buildings are only 7 or 8 stories. Clearly that is no longer the case. There is soon to be two 400+ foot tall towers plus a 20+ story tower on the waterway plus the condo tower.

Btw, for those that were wondering if any of the Exxon buildings would be seen over the trees, I believe that question has been answered. The answer is YES! I was home for Thanksgiving and passed by the location several times and you can clearly see a building sticking up over the tree line. How much taller it will get is beyond me.
There's a thread right now at SSP regarding taking tours on Street View. I looked at the Woodlands last night and was completely amazed at that place (in a positive way). I wish it weren't so far from central Houston; otherwise, I'd love to live there even though it's suburban. I also like Sugarland. I visited Cinco Ranch south of I-10 recently and was completely blown away although there's not an "urban center" like you find in the Woodlands and Sugar Land.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 2:22 PM
disorient yourself?

Here we go! Richmond at Buffalo Speedway (Southeast Corner);

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...ner-city-site/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:53 PM
Ex Houstonian

The new bbva high rise by the galleria along post oak blvd.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:21 PM
BANNED

BBVA is a little farther up the road, that one is Skanska's new tower

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberation View Post
Here we go! Richmond at Buffalo Speedway (Southeast Corner);

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...ner-city-site/
methinks they should flip a coin and pick one look over the other.... this looks like a mirror of the BBVA building, which was nice in a rendering but looks disjointed and weird IRL

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 2:43 AM

I move here to Houston 6 yrs ago and it amazes me how fast and high the city is growing. I just hope a hurricane won't hit us anytime soon, 'cause I feel the the city (infrastructure) is not ready to handle a Cat 3 or higher.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 9:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

More shitty iPhone photos from the woodlands from today.

Anadarko tower.

The mid rise across the street.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:03 AM

Photolith, thanks for keeping us up to date on the Woodlands. Great pics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations