HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 5:42 PM
Ignore these four words.

Retaining WALLS galore.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ Anyone know why it would cost $18,000 to change the timing on a light cycle? I would hope part of the change at Arlington and Notre Dame is to add signals for the east and west directions making left turns as that seems to be the biggest issue there.
My guess is the same reason why when new pedestrian crossing signals go up they must go thru a mandatory 2-month garbage bag phase before they are operational.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
My guess is the same reason why when new pedestrian crossing signals go up they must go thru a mandatory 2-month garbage bag phase before they are operational.
Are you talking about pedestrian corridor signals? If I recall properly the ones just put in for Concordia Hospital across Concordia didn't sit bagged for two months before being activated.

Only thing I have to wonder about is why they were not put in (or at least the bases and paving) at the same time the construction of the Concordia / Molson intersection was being done as they are in the area that was repaved?

Putting them in required curb cuts and concrete/asphalt work repairs to the new work that was done on Concordia in 2014.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:29 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I think he means the countdown ones. I have wondered why they stay bagged for so long but I guess it is a testing phase.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 8:41 PM

No firm timeline on Waverley. But within the next couple years, since I believe the funding is approved.

Traffic will be a nightmare out there when Waverley and Pembina underpass widening (part of the transitway project) will be occurring at the same time. That goodness I don't have to go out that way much.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I think he means the countdown ones. I have wondered why they stay bagged for so long but I guess it is a testing phase.
Yes. Even before the countdown ones when they replaced the incandescent with the LED the same thing occured quite often. The ones at Donald and Broadway were probably bagged for 2-3 months.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 1:04 AM

Yes you are right about the countdown ones, they seem to be bagged longer. There were suppose to be 45 intersections activated in 2015.

City has a list here http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/P...s-PlanList.pdf of the current order of installation, but no time line after 2015.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Yes you are right about the countdown ones, they seem to be bagged longer. There were suppose to be 45 intersections activated in 2015.

City has a list here http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/P...s-PlanList.pdf of the current order of installation, but no time line after 2015.
Is that a list of every controlled intersection with pedestrian signals in the city lol? Only 400?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Is that a list of every controlled intersection with pedestrian signals in the city lol? Only 400?
City traffic signal web page says as of its last update there are 655 traffic lights. Just looking at that list there there 4 intersections in EK/Transcona that are not on it for upgrades.

One is only run weekdays as a school crossing, two more may have been upgraded as a separate project when the intersections were repaved in 2014.
I'll probably be by those two intersections Friday and if I remember I'll look to see if they have the countdown timer.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 7:33 PM

Went through the two new intersections in EK/Transcona and they were not upgraded to the countdown timers when the signal poles were moved as part of the intersection upgrades in 2014/15

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:07 PM

Now that the Polo Park infrastructure improvements are complete, I seem to remember a tender out from the City recently for the design of reconstructing St James from Maroons to Portage. Did anybody else see this? I can't find the tender on the City website. Only found one for sewer reconstruction.

Basically the City planned to eliminate completely the shared centre turn lane. This only exists now from Maroons (or Silver I guess) to Portage. The others were removed as part of the main project, that cost $45M by the way.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:30 PM
Ignore these four words.

Pardon my ignorance because I haven't been in the area in a while, but does St. Matthews go all the way to Route 90 now?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:38 PM

It does. The city demo'd the long strip mall that was in the way. I'm actually quite pleased with all the work. But for $45 million, I should be.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:51 PM
Ignore these four words.

^Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 7:54 PM

There is definitely a plan to overhaul St James from Portage to whatever they stopped at this year in the construction season next summer.

When that is done they desperately need to do something about Empress.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:11 PM
Ignore these four words.

I wish the banks of Omands Creek were shored up and Empress made into a four-lane divided roadway from Saskatchewan Ave all the way to Portage. Actually, it's already divided to Maroons Rd so I suppose we're one sixth of the way there.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
I wish the banks of Omands Creek were shored up and Empress made into a four-lane divided roadway from Saskatchewan Ave all the way to Portage. Actually, it's already divided to Maroons Rd so I suppose we're one sixth of the way there.
Don't expect anything other than reconstruction to happen. Nothing will ever happen on the creek side due to environmental concerns.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 10:22 PM

I was once pushed into that creek by some goof ball at the Canad Inns bar haha

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 2:42 PM
What could go wrong?

The Province will announce the St Norbert Bypass project today.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The Province will announce the St Norbert Bypass project today.
Hopefully with a more aggressive timeline than their plans for the Perimeter?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan