HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:23 PM

Peguis and Transcona Blvd are basically done. I drove Peguis from Regent to Transcona Blvd and Transcona Blvd from Peguis all the way to Plessis. The only part that seemed unfinished was the actual connection to Plessis. They still have the old fence up and the road doesn't actually connect. This was as of last week. Opening was supposed to be November.

All they had was a single barricade saying road closed, which you can just drive around. I'm unsure if Peguis from Transcona Blvd to Concordia is complete, but I'm thinking it is. Only thing might be at the CP crossing, not sure what's going on down there. But there's roads and houses out in the fields around there now. So it's all moving along.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Peguis and Transcona Blvd are basically done. I drove Peguis from Regent to Transcona Blvd and Transcona Blvd from Peguis all the way to Plessis. The only part that seemed unfinished was the actual connection to Plessis. They still have the old fence up and the road doesn't actually connect. This was as of last week. Opening was supposed to be November.

All they had was a single barricade saying road closed, which you can just drive around. I'm unsure if Peguis from Transcona Blvd to Concordia is complete, but I'm thinking it is. Only thing might be at the CP crossing, not sure what's going on down there. But there's roads and houses out in the fields around there now. So it's all moving along.
Yeah, orginally they said it would be complete Novemeber. That section of Transcona blvd upto Plessis has been completed for a couple of weeks now with no sign of additional work being done. They'll have to rejig and add some traffic signals there before they can open it up. With no work beign done on it for a few weeks I wonder if they're just gonna wait til the spring to open it up?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:06 PM

Yeah not sure. It was all supposed to be coordinated with the Reenders extension, with the closing of Almey at Lag being contingent on that.

So now that Reenders isn't going ahead until next year at earliest; could be a lot longer as it's contingent on the Shops of Kildonan Mile going ahead, which is endlessly looking for tenants; they won't close Almey. I'm wondering.

If they opened Transcona Blvd, a lot of people would be using Almey/Ravelston again to access that new connection, with potential for even higher numbers of vehicles as it connects directly to Kildare. So would they wait until they close Almey, open Reenders extension prior to connecting Transcona Blvd to Plessis/Kildare? Could happen.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 9:53 PM

Signals was out there when I came from MPI Plessis at 2:30 today working on the intersection hanging signals facing Transcona Blvd.

There is still a fair size gap to be completed between the new concrete ends and where the new opening to Plessis will be. It's too cold now to lay asphalt and I don't know if the city wants the contractor to do concrete at this time of the year even though they could use insulated tarps.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 12:44 AM

more lights on route 90 go winnipeg!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Signals was out there when I came from MPI Plessis at 2:30 today working on the intersection hanging signals facing Transcona Blvd.

There is still a fair size gap to be completed between the new concrete ends and where the new opening to Plessis will be. It's too cold now to lay asphalt and I don't know if the city wants the contractor to do concrete at this time of the year even though they could use insulated tarps.
If they're doing the signal work now, Im thinkin they'll finish it this year. But who knows. Also not sure if I remember there being a round about at the peguis intersection. I though there was supposed to be. Ans ita only the two lanes out of four. Those will be completed at some point future

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 4:39 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

fence was still there today but aww the elevation is different from that road to plesis by a wack no?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 2:51 PM

They were there this am again working on the west side traffic signals. But you're right 1ajs, there sure is a bit of a dip there.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 3:12 PM

They finally opened Waverly south of the Perimeter. But one thing I noticed.

Before the construction that closed Waverly north of the perimeter, you could not turn right on red from perimeter onto Waverly. Now that the construction is completed, they have maintained the No Right Turn on Red signage. However, the intersection has changed dramatically.

There is a dedicated right turn lane. There is no cross traffic when facing a red light.

I messaged the city about it and told it could take 6 months to a year for Public Works to assess my suggestion. Ludicrous.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 3:49 PM

Sounds like they just need to take the sign down. 6 months to a year is a ridiculous.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sounds like they just need to take the sign down. 6 months to a year is a ridiculous.
Granted, thats a form response but wouldnt they have assessed the need for the signage during the intersection re-design?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 7:24 PM
BANNED

Have to love seeing guys try to pour curbs on Henderson in the below freezing temperatures, snow and wind, yeah who thought road construction in mid to late November would be such a problem. Of course Henderson is down to two lanes both north and south but hey who uses that roadway any-ways....

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 8:44 PM

Maybe we could just get Henderson closed at the city limit to avoid residents of East St Paul unfairly using the road.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Maybe we could just get Henderson closed at the city limit to avoid residents of East St Paul unfairly using the road.
Then they'll just use another road. The real solution is to close all roads at the city limits!! Ofcourse that's unrealistic, so we should only shut them at rush hours. Say from like 3pm to 6pm you can't leave the city. And from 7am to 9am you can't come into the city. So if you live out of town and work a 9 to 5 job, you have to come in before 7 and leave after 6. Geeze with ideas like that I should be mayor.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 9:48 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Then they'll just use another road. The real solution is to close all roads at the city limits!! Ofcourse that's unrealistic, so we should only shut them at rush hours. Say from like 3pm to 6pm you can't leave the city. And from 7am to 9am you can't come into the city. So if you live out of town and work a 9 to 5 job, you have to come in before 7 and leave after 6. Geeze with ideas like that I should be mayor.
You jest, but this is actually a really good idea (in theory of course ) -- staggering morning/afternoon peak hour is what Stockholm does with their congestion charges. They charge more during the prime time trying to nudge people to either come in earlier/leave earlier or to come in later/leave later.

And it's been shown to work. Automobile traffic and infrastructure has a suprimum to their capacity. Up until that capacity they operate free flow, but as soon as you come close it starts to slow down rapidly. If the road capacity is 1000, you don't have a difference between 750 and 900, but the difference between 900 and 1050 is exponentially worse.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 10:01 PM

There is an open house for Waverley underpass coming in the very near future from what I hear.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 10:05 PM

Ooh and this popped up.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/M...st/default.asp

Chief Peguis Trail Extension West

From Main Street to Brookside Boulevard

Public Information and Kick-Off Event:

The City of Winnipeg is initiating a study to gain insight into the use of and expectations for the new Chief Peguis Trail Extension, west from Main Street to Brookside Boulevard. From now until spring 2015, this study will be looking at opportunities and considerations such as:

Alignment of the roadway corridor;
Intersection design;
Sound reduction;
Pedestrian and cycling routes;
Greenspace features;
Existing natural habitats.

The bold text being the disappointing but expected outcome.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 10:13 PM

^ Peguis at Brookside is not exactly what I'd consider priority 1A when it comes to a new interchange in this town. If one were to be built (and who knows if and when that will happen) I'd sooner see one go one one of the various bottlenecks along Lagimodiere or Bishop Grandin.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 10:30 PM

Yeah, but it's just so stupid building this expressway that's supposed to serve CentrePort with stops lights allover the place. But you're right, Lag and Bishop should be the priority.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 10:33 PM

For what it's worth there will be so little traffic out that way that I doubt capacity will be an issue at all even with at-grade intersections. I honestly wonder what the point of extending Peguis is... it is so close to the Perimeter, and it's not as though traffic around that area is particularly heavy the way it was through EK before Peguis was extended to Lagimodiere. The extension from Main to McPhillips kinda-sorta makes sense, but west of McPhillips should be at least 10-15 years off given that it will ultimately be a highway through farmers fields.

For now the biggest bang for the interchange buck can be had by dedicating those resources to addressing the bottlenecks that exist on the decades-old part of the inner ring route.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan