HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:10 PM
What could go wrong?

The COW should be negotiating with the province to take control of Hwy 59 through the city. It is the only true continuous Hwy through the city and a MAJOR heavy truck transportation corridor.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
What I just noticed yesterday was that the approach for NB Kenaston to EB Bishop (over the flyover) has been significantly sunken compared to the existing roadway (looks strange) to allow for easy construction of a new WB flyover for the future extension of Bishop Grandin.
I am little surprised we have not seen more of this in Winnipeg. It seems all the interchanges are either full over or full under. Separate from the added costs of the pumps needed for anything below grade, a half-over/half-under setup would seem to have potential construction advantages as the earth removed for the under side could be used to help build the over approaches. The only downside I see if that the merge lanes would need to be extended. It is also fairly evident that Winnipeg likes to keep exit and merge lanes as absolutely short as possible, even if that compromises overall vehicle safety.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The COW should be negotiating with the province to take control of Hwy 59 through the city. It is the only true continuous Hwy through the city and a MAJOR heavy truck transportation corridor.
They could probably include route 90 as well for all its north south truck traffic.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 5:46 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...says-1.2763006

Wal-Mart deal dead in East St. Paul, mayor says

The mayor of East St. Paul thinks a Wal-Mart development proposed for his community is dead.

Lawrence Morris said the development, that would have seen a Wal-Mart supercentre built inside the Perimeter Highway at Lagimodiere Boulevard won't go ahead.

The first nail in the coffin came when the city voted to close Raleigh Street and Gateway Road, which would have accessed the development at the city limits.

Then the province announced plans to build a cloverleaf interchange at Lagimodiere and the Perimeter, cutting off all road access to the development site.

"It's a big mess. The Wal-Mart or the Smart Centres development all hinges on access to their property. As far as East St. Paul council is concerned, if you don't have proper access it doesn't look like it's something that we would approve," Morris said.

Some 300 people packed a meeting hall in East St. Paul on Wednesday night to discuss the issue. It ran so late, they're continuing the meeting tonight.

But Morris says with no access, there's no way East St.Paul could approve the development, essentially killing the deal.

Bigger battle for Browaty

Winnipeg city Coun. Jeff Browaty is happy the Wal-Mart development likely won't go forward, but said there's a bigger issue on the horizon for the residents in his ward.

He had fought to block Gateway and Raleigh from accessing the development, in order to prevent them from becoming busier thoroughfares than they already are.

Now he's learned the province, as part of its cloverleaf interchange plan, wants to construct of a roadway tunnel under the Perimeter, linking to Raleigh and Gateway as well as another residential street, Headmaster Row.

"It's going to be completely insane, the traffic that's going to be on that street. I'm guessing it's probably designed for no more than 1,000 vehicles a day," Browaty said.

"I would suggest, again I'm not a traffic engineer, but you could probably see 10,000 movements a day the moment that tunnel opens.”

Browaty said the province never consulted with the city.

While Gateway functions as an arterial roadway south of Chief Peguis Trail to Munroe Avenue, north of Chief Peguis it is a local collector street, Browaty said, adding that Headmaster Row is local residential street with modern suburban standard homes and driveways backing onto the street.

"If the provincially-proposed access closures to the Perimeter and Lagimodiere in East St. Paul proceed, traffic volumes through a new tunnel would create an explosion of new traffic on Headmaster and many other local North Kildonan streets," Browaty said.

“We are basically at the point now where we may be successful on the ending of the Wal-Mart but we've got another problem on our hands which could be even bigger."

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 5:57 PM

Continued from the Perimeter Highway thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Here's two examples from Regina of intersections adjacent to rail crossings. The one at Lewvan seems to be newer than the one at Albert. So might be a better example of what they could build. Lewvan is an expressway too. They could get it done without the full blown interchange, IMO. Maybe I can attend the next open house and berate some engineers with these questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
But that's not a fair comparison.

The only way to get something like that in this particular situation is to basically wipe out half the neighborhood that these routes serve or re-route the whole thing , rail line and all, to the east , build service roads plus intersections, and THEN an underpass. I have no doubt that this is cheaper plus nobody has to lose their home or business.
They're already planning on wiping out the neighbourhood already. Teasers will be gone. Timmy ho ho's will be gone, the new oil change place, etc.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 6:00 PM

I think this is the preferred option at the first open house. All the yellow is demolished/expropriated properties.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 6:07 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Continued from the Perimeter Highway thread.

They're already planning on wiping out the neighbourhood already. Teasers will be gone. Timmy ho ho's will be gone, the new oil change place, etc.
No they're not. I used to live in that neighborhood and while the loss of those businesses is 'lamentable' the housing remains intact. Further, Timmie's didn't even exist until recently and only exacerbated the traffic woes. Teasers is...a strip club. People will get by without the Harleys at three in the morning and the occasional gunshot. The only real loss is the Chinese restaurant just south of the corner (assuming it's still there) Either way, those businesses can relocate a lot more easily than the home owners can. It's also worth noting that the other options included running a one way arterial through an otherwise quiet area and creating an island similar to what used to exist just west of the old Norwood bridges.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 6:17 PM

Doesnt matter if a business was built yesterday, they still have to pay for it to be demolished. Depending on which option goes ahead, yes they will be demolishing parts of the Goulet/Doucette neighbourhood.

Options 1-4 have most of the house west of the Seine being demolished. While option 5 has most of the houses and businesses east of the Seine being demolished. So guaranteed someones house is getting torn down. I'm sure there will be a slightly different option put forward at the next open house.

Not trying to be a dick, just callin em as I see's em. Open house boards are here, if you haven't had a chance to take a look.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 6:20 PM

And for what it's worth, the preferred option is basically the lewan/sask dr intersection I showed above. Take the bridge out and put lights in, same thing.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 9:30 PM
Back from the dead

I'm not saying you're a dick or anything. Just a little banter back and forth, that's all.

In any case, I still say that this was one of the less-intrusive ways of going about it. Either way, there's no way the city is going to throw the interchange at Lag up before there's a rail under/overpass at Archibald. If they were to build it then they'd built them both at the same time otherwise Marion Archibald would almost certainly be first.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 9:42 PM

Yeah. I was hoping they would still build the rail underpass. Just take the diamond overpass and put it at Lag. I think the costs would even out. But oh well, we'll see what happens.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 5:13 PM

Here's somebody with some vision towards transportation.

http://glennchurchill.ca/platform.php

Part of his platform is?!?!

There are three intersections in St Vital that are listed in the top ten most dangerous intersections in Winnipeg. As a continuation of the expressway plan, I will advocate to have grade separated interchanges planned for construction within the next 10-12 years at the intersections of Bishop Grandin Boulevard with St Marys Road, Dakota Street and St Anne’s Road. Due to the proximity to numerous schools and St Vital Mall, these intersections are a huge safety concern. The residential developments of Waverley West, Sage Creek and the soon to be Bishop Grandin Crossing will greatly increase the traffic congestion along Bishop Grandin Blvd and with it, even greater safety concerns. Interchanges at these intersections would improve traffic flow, manage the increasing traffic volumes and greatly increase safety. There have been too many injuries and deaths at these intersections. The time has come to increase safety in our neighbourhood.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 9:04 PM

This guy running for mayor??!! He's got my vote if he is!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
This guy running for mayor??!! He's got my vote if he is!
Just opened the link now...was in a rush and didn't have time to read it.

This must be a dream...pinch me please...surely nobody with ambition to run for city council would ever come up with a hair-brain idea like upgrading expressway infrastructure that was woefully inadequate BEFORE two new massive subdivisions began to rise on each end of it? Doesn't he know that progressive cities always wait until the new residential is fully built out before widening existing streets and even thinking about upgrading infrastructure?!

Oh right...only Winnipeg does that.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 12:37 AM

christ he has a better platform then all the mayors running up

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 4:24 PM

Quote:
The City paved the Lagimodiere/Reenders intersection AGAIN this year. They just did it last year! It's so badly rutted after one season, it's ridiculous. They need a better solution that re-paving every year...

On the flip side, they fixed it again (for now). So cant complain about that.
I just passed through the repaved intersection today. Nice they did that, just unfortunate that Reenders east of Lag remains for yet another year as very likely one of the worst streets in the entire first world. How long is the city planning on holding off on repairing Reenders? It's seriously brutal...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
I just passed through the repaved intersection today. Nice they did that, just unfortunate that Reenders east of Lag remains for yet another year as very likely one of the worst streets in the entire first world. How long is the city planning on holding off on repairing Reenders? It's seriously brutal...
It's terrible down there. I'm assuming they're waiting until the reenders extension goes through to figure out exactly what's what.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
It's terrible down there. I'm assuming they're waiting until the reenders extension goes through to figure out exactly what's what.
That's kinda what I figured too...but seriously how long can they hold off? It's not like it just got bad two years ago. It's been awful for a long time now. There are huge sections of curb completely missing along that stretch...isn't there standards that cover that?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:47 PM
Ignore these four words.

Some news on Kenaston/Bishop Grandin and Polo Park area.

http://www.cjob.com/2014/09/16/47934/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
christ he has a better platform then all the mayors running up
The nice thing about Churchill is that he is a first-timer and hasn't been tainted by the other never-do-wells at City Hall. He is an Engineer and keeps to his ethics, so he says, he could go far with a new Mayor. Lets hope that he can adopt an Iron-glove and ram some of his ideas through Council and the over paid bureaucrats that are waiting for their pensions to kick in.

JAT, maybe we can clone him to run in other areas of the City.

Good luck Glenn!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan