HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 3:09 PM

Ahh, thanks. What about the place across Lag? If you know. There's huge piles of what looks like old millings, with some kind of plants set-up spewing large volumes of steam/exhaust. Either way. That truck was using an asphalt trailer, so just a thought.

My screen at home seems to be much clearer than this POS I'm using right now. Looks like topsoil, with some chunks of asphalt (darker stuff) that got jarred loose.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 5:45 PM

You have the Bison Rock and Asphalt plant in that area with the access off of Panet.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 5:52 PM

Could it be raw dirt going to one of soil places like Reimer soil or Gauthier soils both off Hwy 59? That would explain the chunks in the load until it goes through the screening process.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 6:18 PM

I think it might be going the other way. Coming form that area of Lag, going to one of the new developments, such as Amber Trails, or some other project. Anywho, quite the discussion for one overturned truck! haha

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 4:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Could it be raw dirt going to one of soil places like Reimer soil or Gauthier soils both off Hwy 59? That would explain the chunks in the load until it goes through the screening process.
Gauthier Soils has long since moved off 59 when Sage a Creek started. They are beside south end pollution plant now. Reimers would be my guess.

Looking at photo again that's 4 ways top soil and that's Reimers truck. I know the driver standing there lol

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 4:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Could use a few dozen more flipped over soil trucks along Lag north to help fill in that brutal eyesore of a median/ditch. Between the medians, the gravel shoulders and the overall condition of the roads that is one real ugly stretch. With all the traffic lights there's ample time to notice it too!
Bishop from Lag. to St. Annes is pretty brutal as well, uneven ugly gravel shoulders a median that looks like the parking lot at an auto salvage yard, seriously some of the roads in Winnipeg would leave a first time visitor thinking that there in Moldova!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Gauthier Soils has long since moved off 59 when Sage a Creek started. They are beside south end pollution plant now. Reimers would be my guess.

Looking at photo again that's 4 ways top soil and that's Reimers truck. I know the driver standing there lol
I knew they are beside the south end sewer plant but don't they have a yard next to the St. Vital Hydro Terminal on the north side as well? If its not them do you know off hand who is there? Its who ever was in that location I was thinking of.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 2:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
I knew they are beside the south end sewer plant but don't they have a yard next to the St. Vital Hydro Terminal on the north side as well? If its not them do you know off hand who is there? Its who ever was in that location I was thinking of.
I think it is T&T Soils
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 5:26 PM

The City paved the Lagimodiere/Reenders intersection AGAIN this year. They just did it last year! It's so badly rutted after one season, it's ridiculous. They need a better solution that re-paving every year...

On the flip side, they fixed it again (for now). So cant complain about that.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 5:34 PM

I remember back in the day (late 60's) that someone wondered aloud, 'why are they taking so much space to make a roadway down MR20?' And this was answered by Metro streets, 'because we're looking towards the future, presently, we are building a four lane roadway that will be able to expand to two additional lanes if the need arises.'

I think the need has arisen!

Apparently, the originating plans from the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg (METRO) has been lost, stolen, or well hid in the vaults of the City Streets and Planning office. The chances of the City today building the additional two lanes are slim to none based on their performance throughout the past years. Even though the overpasses are designed to handle the extra lanes the City Works and Operations would probably have a budget akin to the original cost of building the roadway back in 1969.

There is also 'no way' the City would or should attempt to rebuild and redesign the roadway with out overpasses at Bishop Grandin, Fermore, Marion/Dugald, Nairn/Regent, Grassie/Chief Peguis, and Headmaster/Knowles. The stupidity that has evolved in the Chief Peguis extension, Edward Shreyer Prkwy. , and Plessis Road projects would take a lifetime of Sundays to correct. All the praying in the world just can't correct stupidity and the councilors in the areas should stick to what they know best, trying to overcome the meek.

If the City had any sense at all, they would hire RRSkylar to take the City councilors on an all expense paid trip to Moldova to show them how a third world country handles basic transportation. And that would be a one-way trip!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 7:44 PM
jammon member

Does the city and province charge penalties for when road projects go over- time and/or over-budget?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 7:54 PM

RFP is out for the Bill Clement Parkway Extension from Grant to McGillivray.

http://winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/FolderCont...2014&YEAR=2014

D4. SCOPE OF SERVICES

D4.1 The Services required under this Contract shall consist of an engineering design study for the extension of the WRCP between Grant Avenue and McGillivray Boulevard, and required improvements to, or realignment of, Wilkes Avenue as outlined in D4 and D5.

D4.2 Project Objectives:
(a) To determine the short term and long term infrastructure requirements and develop designs that that value-orientated.
(b) To determine and rationalize the costing (Class 3 for all components) and infrastructure requirements and sequencing to extend the William R. Clement Parkway and determine the alignment, and connection to an east-west arterial south of the CN Rail Rivers line through an engineering study that is transparent to the public and elected officials.
(c) To determine the required rights-of-way to preserve existing lands, establish required property and support future development.
(d) To engage and include the public and relevant stakeholders throughout the project process in a meaningful way.
(e) To identify all related risks and technical issues and develop associated mitigation strategies and solutions to ensure the physical project can be implemented efficiently.

D4.3 The Services required under this Contract shall consist of the following major components:

(a) Functional Design Phase – WRCP between Grant Avenue and McGillivray Boulevard and improvement to, or realignment of, Wilkes Avenue. Major solutions required include, but are not limited to:
(i) Wilkes Avenue needs to be investigated to determine the optimal alignment whether it be further south of the existing alignment or improved on the existing alignment. The realignment could commence at the eastern limit either east or west of Shaftsbury Boulevard/McCreary Boulevard. The western most could be as far as Charleswood Road.
Potential options could have implications in terms of:
♦ The ability to grade separate Shaftsbury Boulevard from the CN Rivers mainline in the future.
♦ The type and configuration of intersection/grade separation between Wilkes Avenue and WRCP.
♦ The configuration and operation of the connection of Wilkes Avenue, Sterling Lyon Parkway, Shaftsbury Boulevard and McCreary Road.
♦ The type and configuration of grade separation of the WRCP and CN Rivers mainline.
♦ Existing and future access and potential for development
♦ The extent of required twinning and intersection improvements on Wilkes Avenue
♦ Property Acquisition

(ii) Developing a grade separation of the WRCP and the CN Rail Rivers mainline. The functional design of this grade separation has to be done in unison with evaluating The City of Winnipeg Supplemental Conditions
RFP No. 732-2014 Page 3 of 11
Template Version: SrC120131129 - C RFP
Wilkes Avenue alignment options, therefore multiple structure options will need to be evaluated for various scenarios, potential examples include, but are not limited to:
♦ A structure could span both the rail line and Wilkes Avenue with return loop(s) to Wilkes Avenue on the existing alignment.
♦ Wilkes Avenue could be realigned south, only in the proximity of the WRCP with a structure spanning only the rail line with WRCP tieing into Wilkes with a signal.
♦ Same as previous, but Wilkes Avenue could be realigned for a longer stretch, somewhere between Sterling Lyon Parkway and Charleswood Road.
Major considerations shall be given to:
♦ The choice between underpass and overpass alternatives.
♦ Developing drainage solutions for any underpass options.
(iii) Determining the optimal location for connecting the WRCP to McGillivray Boulevard. The City of Winnipeg’s current Traffic Model anticipates increased traffic utilization of this section the closer it gets to the City. The R.M. of MacDonald is currently reserving land as identified in the 2006 ND Lea report which has WRCP tieing in straight south from Wilkes Avenue along its current alignment.
(iv) The inclusion of a pedestrian and cycling overpass over the WRCP that connects the Harte Trail. The Harte Trail is a significant trail and part of the City’s Active Transportation Network and the Trans Canada Trail. This could be sited at various locations and would impact the road and intersection design and the functionality of the Trail.
(v) An Environmental Assessment is required for this project and ensuring that the design of any road, structure, drainage or trail components mitigate any identified environmental issues and consider ecologically sensitive areas.
(vi) A construction and implementation plan is to be developed with supportive engineering analysis to determine when and what infrastructure the City should construct, mainly through traffic requirements, value and cost benefit ratios.
(b) Preliminary Design Phase – further develop the design of the WRCP between Grant Avenue to Wilkes Avenue to develop preliminary engineered drawings for this section of WRCP and a Class 3 costs estimate for the works in accordance as outlined in D4 and D5.

This shall also include preliminary design services associated with:
(i) WRCP between Grant Avenue and Wilkes Avenue
(ii) Wilkes Avenue as determined through the functional phase
(iii) A pedestrian and cycling overpass
(iv) A grade separation of the CN Rivers mainline
(v) A potential grade separation of Wilkes Avenue
(vi) All associated drainage requirements
(vii) Landscaping
(viii) Required sound attenuation devices

Last edited by bomberjet; Sep 9, 2014 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Formatting

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
RFP is out for the Bill Clement Parkway Extension from Grant to McGillivray.

http://winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/FolderCont...2014&YEAR=2014
When the infrastructure is for transit, it gets debated and talked about endlessly for 40 years before ultimately being half built.

When it's for cars, it gets built no questions asked. And people think that drivers are getting the shaft in this town? I guess they are if you think that not having 100% of transportation infrastructure dollars devoted to car traffic means getting the shaft.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:52 PM

I assume that means it won't be long before we're seeing talk of a subdivision development bordered by Wilkes/William Clement/McCreary/COW Boundary. Sigh

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:52 PM

Yeah, you got it.

Rapid transit from downtown the U of M is useless. But an expressway in a farmer's field (Chief Peguis west extension too) gets pushed right along with virtually no opposition. I'm all for all of the above projects. But public perception are polar opposites.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 4:16 AM

Just think the city gets to work with CN again for another crossing of their mainline. If and when it gets built it will be the fourth new crossing this century (Kenaston, Plessis, Waverly and WRCP)

Wonder how long and convoluted the path towards construction will be for this one. Is there a deadline for infrastructure money for this road extension or will it be a PPP like the rest of the WRCP?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Just think the city gets to work with CN again for another crossing of their mainline. If and when it gets built it will be the fourth new crossing this century (Kenaston, Plessis, Waverly and WRCP)
Fifth if you include the rapid transit tunnel under the mainline. And while not technically a "new" crossing, the CN mainline bridge over Pembina will have to be relocated as part of the new transit crossing/widening of Pembina.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Does the city and province charge penalties for when road projects go over- time and/or over-budget?
In certain cases I know the city does. Province, it doesn't seem that way as large projects in provincial jurisdictions seem to drag on forever. Take the two interchange rehabs on south perimeter right now as examples. It's been two full summers now and they still are not complete. Every time I drive by there is between 0 and 5 workers there at a time. This is absolutely ridiculous that such a project takes so f'in long...in the US that would probably be done in a couple months at the most.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 1:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Impressive..........I noticed something yesterday that I don't believe I have ever seen before from the COW in building a project. The new Bishop Grandin/Kenaston flyover (as mentioned before, I have just verified it with my own eyes) has been built for future flyover ramps. I know we have noticed that the length of the flyover is extremely long to allow for the EB lanes of the future western Bishop extension.

What I just noticed yesterday was that the approach for NB Kenaston to EB Bishop (over the flyover) has been significantly sunken compared to the existing roadway (looks strange) to allow for easy construction of a new WB flyover for the future extension of Bishop Grandin.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Impressive..........I noticed something yesterday that I don't believe I have ever seen before from the COW in building a project. The new Bishop Grandin/Kenaston flyover (as mentioned before, I have just verified it with my own eyes) has been built for future flyover ramps. I know we have noticed that the length of the flyover is extremely long to allow for the EB lanes of the future western Bishop extension.

What I just noticed yesterday was that the approach for NB Kenaston to EB Bishop (over the flyover) has been significantly sunken compared to the existing roadway (looks strange) to allow for easy construction of a new WB flyover for the future extension of Bishop Grandin.
It's fucking crazy talk! They actually planned and designed the whole interchange and built the fly-over, like you said, to accommodate for it. I drive through there daily and noticed everything like you said. There's no modifications required to the fly-over when the Bishop extension goes ahead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan