HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Spires and flourishes on the roof would be contrary to Vinoly's theme, which is a series of six, simple stacked boxes. The design will not change. Nonetheless, it will be a very shiny, 432m tower.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 10:17 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Something as simple as adding a little flourish like the Setai did would be enough to satisfactorily terminate the roof. It doesn't mess with the basic form of the tower, but it does acknowledge that that's where it ends.

http://www.gwathmey-siegel.com/portf...?job_id=200604
If they at least do something similar to this, everyone will be mostly satisfied. Besides, it's a good thing that this tower is being built. It will be an excuse to erect taller and better designs in NYC, bringing it back to the top once again.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 10:19 PM
Khurram Parvaz

The antenna only worked on the North Tower of the WTC because of the massive size of the twin, so the antenna worked in that situation and enhanced the building. On this building a spire/antenna of any sort would (LITERALLY) be as thick as the girth of the building itself, so spire/antennas are out of the question. A nice crown would work if the building was a bit shorter. The building has trapped itself from all sides (of possible improvements) by how ugly it was designed.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
The antenna only worked on the North Tower of the WTC because of the massive size of the twin, so the antenna worked in that situation and enhanced the building. On this building a spire/antenna of any sort would (LITERALLY) be as thick as the girth of the building itself, so spire/antennas are out of the question. A nice crown would work if the building was a bit shorter. The building has trapped itself from all sides (of possible improvements) by how ugly it was designed.
I don't find it Ugly in terms of design. It is on the dull, conventional or plain side, but hardly offensive to the eye or ugly. Ugly is the Verizon building or the housing projects that are scattered everywhere in NYC. Ugly is Willets Point. Midtown East needs some height, so I frankly don't give a shit about the design and all the ridiculous bickering about it is getting on my nerves. It is another glass box that happens to tall and skinny, deal with it. It's hardly going to ruin the city.

Midtown is chock full of glass boxes, many are fat and ungainly. At least this one has some grace in its proportions.

Last edited by aquablue; Feb 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:44 AM

"ugly" is Conde Nast and that hideous contraption of a spire on top. A true wart on the NYC skyline.

No, I think 432 Park will turn out much better than we think.

...by the way, did I mention that Conde Nast was ugly? Tear that POS down.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:55 AM
them bones

It's amazing to me how critical some of you guys are of this building based on a few scant fuzzy renderings...

I trust Vinoly's skin for this building is going to knock people's socks off. You don't build at this price point and do a shitty facade (unless you're the Donald - TWT).

The height to width ratio and the height make this something that's going to be really interesting to watch go up.

For those of you whining about Dubai and spires and ugly crowns, get over it. I think alot of you are going to be very surprised when this is completed.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 3:20 PM

Looks like they have a small crew still working today, this tower is going to start rising before we know it.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
I disagree. I actually think a lot of recent spires have been too thin for the buildings they are on (Trump Chicago and BOA New York) but something along the scale of those spires might work nicely on this. But I don't necessarily think it is a spire that the building needs but some sort of change at the top to acknowledge that that is where the building ends. I also think more verticallity (like in the old render at the top of this thread) would have done a lot to help the buildings. The square grid pattern does nothing for me personally.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 8:49 PM

I wonder why they moved the live camera over. Maybe more of the work is gonna be focused on the left side of the site now? Is that building on the upper left going to be demolished too?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 8:57 PM
Khurram Parvaz

The property labeled 33 is currently being excavated, and that's what the camera was focused on. Now it has moved to the center of the property, as the demolition and excavations of properties (46, 145, 45, 44, 43, 42, and 41) start.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 2:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Cam shot from today...

www.432park.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 3:25 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Properties (146, 45, 44, and 43) have already been demolished. Just three more building left to go.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:49 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

#41 and 42 are staying because that's what Jacob&Co and T&A have moved into. That leaves just #46 to finish demolishing.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:17 PM
Khurram Parvaz

I reckoned a few buildings NOT being demolished, because the tenants didn't want to evict.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:47 PM
New Yorker for life

They've already taken a huge bite out of the earth today....

www.432park.com

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/AH...llkey=00435613

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
#41 and 42 are staying because that's what Jacob&Co and T&A have moved into. That leaves just #46 to finish demolishing.
If that is the case what do they typically do with the rear of the building? As I understand there is no base to 432 park outside of the normal building footprint. If so, wouldn't the ugly parts of those buildings that were previously hidden be exposed to the street?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 11:50 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

The rears might be covered up by the retail base if it extends far enough from Park Ave.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 1:18 AM

The houses (Jacob & Co and Turnbull & Asser) will be demolished, or the owners are hoping to move so finding another building?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_alex View Post
If so, wouldn't the ugly parts of those buildings that were previously hidden be exposed to the street?
NYC doesn't have alleys.

The rear sides of NYC buildings face other rear sides. There is no public exposure to the rear side (at least not from a public street or sidewalk).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The rears might be covered up by the retail base if it extends far enough from Park Ave.
Right, if you look at the model, the base of the tower extends north to 57th Street, and the "glass cube" portion extends to Park Avenue.
It won't be a square base as shown in the drawing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive